what about Ryan Ludwick for rf?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

what about Ryan Ludwick for rf?

I know his numbers have been declining but he is a righty bat that this team needs desperately. He is 33 years old I believe but he is a good hitter and would come cheap. Maybe a incentive laiden contract. he could platoon with Sweeney. You have to admit, he is a much more attractive name then some of the other players being floated around. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: what about Ryan Ludwick for rf?

Why? Kalish is a better alternative. Ludwig type outfielders will be a dime a dozen in June/July if we need one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

ooops I just saw Kalish may miss even more time, apologies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'd prefer Andruw Jones, if only because he is a good addition, while being a subtraction from a top competitor.  But if Ludwick is cheaper, he might be a decent addition.  I'd rather it be him than DMac.

That said, I will not be surprised if Ben goes to spring training without adding any other RFers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In Response to Re: what about Ryan Ludwick for rf?:
    [QUOTE]I'd prefer Andruw Jones, if only because he is a good addition, while being a subtraction from a top competitor.  But if Ludwick is cheaper, he might be a decent addition.  I'd rather it be him than DMac. That said, I will not be surprised if Ben goes to spring training without adding any other RFers.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

i'd take andruw jones also....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think Ryan Sweeney may grow on us in a short time. He has a nice Fenway stroke and he's a good defensive OF able to play all OF positions.

Keep in mind Lavarnway played 50 games in RF while he was at Yale. Granted RF at  Feway is not your typical college OF--keep in mind the Sox had Aviles working out in the OF this off season in Puerto Rico according to something I read recently. Plus we may have a Min. L. prospect of our own that may impress. 

It would be nice to have an emergency catcher and back-up RF, DH, pinch hitter all in one person. I can see Lav playing a similar role to that of Michael Young--moving around then they have an injury and he's playing every day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

They'll probably sign someone like Ludwick.  Don't think it's realistic to offer an "incentive laden" contract for someone you plan to use only against lefties though.  He'd be a role player.

And no way in hell could Lavarnway play RF in Fenway.  He's a big dude and not very mobile.  If they're questioning whether he's athletic enough to catch, how could he be a big league outfielder??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Ryan probably could not become the RF the Red Sox need in Fenway, regardless of how good a hitter he becomes, but might be worth seeing if LF could become one of his positions.  A lot of fans have suggested on posts in this Forum that Ryan could become one of the Red Sox DHs, 1Bs and because of his experience playing the OF at Yale, maybe he could become an adequate LF.  And maybe Carl Crawford may be penciled in, after some practice in ST, in RF with Lavarnway in LF.  I have seen many posts that suggest that Carl does not have a strong enough arm for RF, and most agree that Fenway as tough a RF in ML baseball.  Perhaps there are parks in both leagues in which Crawford could play RF and Lavarnway LF.  I think of how Joe Maddon has used his outfielders, particularly Zobrist in the outfield and in the infield, Zobrist, of course, is a very good athlete, but with the limited # of players on the bench, having players play more than one position gives the Manager a number of options and more flexibility depending on the park and the pitcher.  If Lavarnway is used as a catcher, LF, DH and maybe 1B, Aviles as a 2B, SS, 3B and corner outfielder, Punto as a 2B, SS, 3B and corner outfielder and Youkilis as a 3B, 1B and DH, it it like having more players on the bench, gives the Manager opprotunity to rest players and hit against pitchers in certain parks in which the odd increase that they will have more success. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"If Lavarnway is used as a cathcer, LF, DH and maybe 1B"

Only reason to use Lavarnway in this manner is if they determine he's not good enough defensively to be a starting catcher, like a Ryan Doumit.  If you think he can stick behind the plate, let him play there as much as possible.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: what about Ryan Ludwick for rf?": [QUOTE]"If Lavarnway is used as a cathcer, LF, DH and maybe 1B" Only reason to use Lavarnway in this manner is if they determine he's not good enough defensively to be a starting catcher, like a Ryan Doumit.  If you think he can stick behind the plate, let him play there as much as possible. Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE] Unless Lavarnway beats out Salty for starting catcher, he needs to be catching full time in Pawtucket...I rather not see him in the outfield, ever, especially in right. Crawford doesn't have the arm to play right field in Yankee stadium, never mind anywhere else...