What are you reading?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: What are you reading?

Ho Chi Minh, A Life by William J. Duiker

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

The bulk of my reading other than professional literature is Civil War History, but got these goodies for Christmas..

The Brothers by Stephen Kinzer

The Kid (Ted Williams) by Ben Bradlee, Jr

Tenth of December by George Saunders

Thank You For Your Service by David Finkel

Sycamore Row (Grisham)

Dr Sleep (Stephen King)

FYI - My Life (B Clinton) is good book as is HRC's autobio as is GWB's memoirs and surprisingly so is the autobio by Keith Richards and the bio of Mick Jagger

The "Killing.." books (Lincoln, Kennedy, Jesus) by O'Reilly are all quite good as well.

Someone said their take on Ted Williams bio was one of a sad or unhappy man...Have read several TW bios and about to read another and I agree...same for Cobb, Ruth, DiMaggio and especially Thorpe.

Happy New Year, everyone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The bulk of my reading other than professional literature is Civil War History, but got these goodies for Christmas..

The Brothers by Stephen Kinzer

The Kid (Ted Williams) by Ben Bradlee, Jr

Tenth of December by George Saunders

Thank You For Your Service by David Finkel

Sycamore Row (Grisham)

Dr Sleep (Stephen King)

FYI - My Life (B Clinton) is good book as is HRC's autobio as is GWB's memoirs and surprisingly so is the autobio by Keith Richards and the bio of Mick Jagger

The "Killing.." books (Lincoln, Kennedy, Jesus) by O'Reilly are all quite good as well.

Someone said their take on Ted Williams bio was one of a sad or unhappy man...Have read several TW bios and about to read another and I agree...same for Cobb, Ruth, DiMaggio and especially Thorpe.

Happy New Year, everyone.

[/QUOTE]

Liked that Saunders earlier books more than a little, haven't read the new one Tenth of December yet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Just finished "Whitey" by Dick Llehr who also wrote "Black Mass".  Just started "Killing Jesus."

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to tvfrank's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just finished "Whitey" by Dick Llehr who also wrote "Black Mass".  Just started "Killing Jesus."

[/QUOTE]

I'm looking forward to O'reilly's next book 'KILLING MYSELF.'

[/QUOTE]

Ouch!   He's a blowhard who pretends to be independent, but........   a little rough?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Just finished the odessa file

Now onto Cyberstorm.

Sadly....   no more Vince Flynn.   God rest his soul

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I am not trying to be a troublemaker, but this thread is beyond ridiculous. Has nothing to do with the Red Sox or baseball. Just seems like an opportunity for posters to show what deep thinking intellectuals they are. Give me/us a break. Sorry if this offends anyone. Just my opinion. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am not trying to be a troublemaker, but this thread is beyond ridiculous. Has nothing to do with the Red Sox or baseball. Just seems like an opportunity for posters to show what deep thinking intellectuals they are. Give me/us a break. Sorry if this offends anyone. Just my opinion. 

[/QUOTE]

Lol.    Kind of like the yuppies who send out Christmas letters where the spouses take turns bragging about all the amazing things each accomplished during the year, & all the stuff they bought for eachother & how talented their kids are?

Btw.....  did I mention that I finished The Odyssey yesterday before starting my trash novels?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lol.    Kind of like the yuppies who send out Christmas letters where the spouses take turns bragging about all the amazing things each accomplished during the year, & all the stuff they bought for eachother & how talented their kids are?

Btw.....  did I mention that I finished The Odyssey yesterday before starting my trash novels?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You must have skimmed over everything. The facts in the thread show many references to the Red Sox and Baseball. Since there is not much happening in the Hot Stove League relative to the Sox, discussing the merits of Stephen Drew gets redundant and boring, but it gives you a chance to be critical of others, there goes that resolution! On top of that, you never answered the question in the title.  #FAIL. Let me throw in the grand qualifier, that seeks to pre-empt any response or rebuttal, "JMO". LMAO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

I like to hear what other folks are reading. I'm often pleasantly surprised. I don't think people are bragging when they talk about reading John Grisham and Stephen King novels (no offense to readers of Grisham and King: I like them too, but they're not exactly "intellectual").

I suspect your criticism of this thread was at least partly a reaction to my earlier posts about Kafka on the Shore, which is a pretty complicated book. If it makes you feel better, I also like to read X-Men comic books and watch Simpsons reruns. :)

What always surprises me about these threads is (1) how much people actually do read, (2) how much of people's reading is non-fiction, and (3) how people seem to balance what they read.

For example, one poster above is reading/has read both "My Life" and the biography of Dubya, and seems to have enjoyed them both. That to me is a pleasant surprise. I also like to see that people are reading and enjoying baseball books (a genre I rarely dip into, but one I enjoy). It's a good way to get suggestions. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ahh c'mon, ease up. It's the middle of the winter, not much going on in the world of baseball. It gives us something different to talk about with other posters whom we normally converse with.

It's like any other thread, if you don't like the subject, don't participate. Unlike many threads that get off baseball, this one is friendly. After reading it, there are some books that I might go out and get. Sharing knowledge is how you open people's minds. It's too easy to stay in your own safe cocoon, so when someone expresses an interest in something you might not on your own search out, it helps you escape that safe cocoon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really doesn't matter what you might think of O'reilly, the book is actually pretty decent.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Just finished the assassin trilogy by Robert Ferrigno.  Very unusual, particularly the first one whose premise is a moderate Islamic Republic consisting of the Western half of USA, following a voluntary mass conversion to Islam.

Now, re-reading Coetzee's Disgrace.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really doesn't matter what you might think of O'reilly, the book is actually pretty decent.   

[/QUOTE]

I read killing Lincoln.  I love to read about the civil war.  I grew up in the north but now live in the south.  I was taught one thing growing up but was told something different living here.  I wanted to find out the truth so I started doing a lot of research into the war.

Killing lincoln was a good read.  The book is well researched and interesting.  If you already know a lot about the civil war then you may not find the book very interesting.

Killing kennedy was ok, some pretty interesting facts.  I haven't read killing Jesus so I can't comment on that.

Even though I'm conservative I can only take so much of o'reilly, he is a bit full of himself.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Ry Cooder's book of short fiction "Los Angeles Stories"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ahh c'mon, ease up. It's the middle of the winter, not much going on in the world of baseball. It gives us something different to talk about with other posters whom we normally converse with.

It's like any other thread, if you don't like the subject, don't participate. Unlike many threads that get off baseball, this one is friendly. After reading it, there are some books that I might go out and get. Sharing knowledge is how you open people's minds. It's too easy to stay in your own safe cocoon, so when someone expresses an interest in something you might not on your own search out, it helps you escape that safe cocoon.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Actually I find it pretty interesting to see what others are reading.  There are some pretty smart people here!  Who knew Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just another wonderful quote from tolerant open minded progressives.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the title of the thread pretty much described what it was going to be.  There are plenty of threads I don't open up because I don't think I'll be interested.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Dont read the thread, troublemaker.  Be openminded like loud mouth self promoting ghost written non judgemental Oreally. Don like it don read it 69

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just having a little fun folks. Nothing wrong with this thread. Just doing a little satire on posters who complain about threads. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

then I feel dumber than usual

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

[QUOTE]

You must have skimmed over everything. The facts in the thread show many references to the Red Sox and Baseball. Since there is not much happening in the Hot Stove League relative to the Sox, discussing the merits of Stephen Drew gets redundant and boring, but it gives you a chance to be critical of others, there goes that resolution! On top of that, you never answered the question in the title.  #FAIL. Let me throw in the grand qualifier, that seeks to pre-empt any response or rebuttal, "JMO". LMAO.

[/QUOTE]

You are missing the point methinks. There are other places to discuss books other than a Red sox forum.

Go to Goodreads and try talking about Stephen Drew. Then you might get the point.