What could Possibly go Wrong in 2012?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

What could Possibly go Wrong in 2012?

I have to say that at present I am very happy with all the moves the Sox have made. I am pumped for Valentine to bring 'change' and really believing the bullpen has morphed into something special; I prefer Aceves stay right where he is now that Bard is headed for the rotation.  It is terrific that Tek is gone. The offense is something we do not have to worry about at all. I am pumped Glass Lowrie is history especially because he netted us a potentially solid reliever. 

The pending fears I have to which none can be answered until April or later:

1) Beckett. Is he going to be traded? Is he going to gain or lose weight? Can he actually pitch 7 to 8 innings a start and be the savior when the team is down? Does he still need to walk around the mound longer than Papi walks around the batters circle in between pitches? Between the two of these guys the game last 30 minutes longer than most.

2) Crawford. Not even a tweet or a peep from Carl this winter. Is he a baby or a man? Can he reemerge as an elite catalyst to the offense? How about actually making some sensational catches rather than barely missing the ball. Stolen bases? Um did the Sox put a clause in his contract that forbade him to steal his career average? Seems the Sox who are famous for being slow or stagnant on the base-paths would be high up on Carl reaching second any way he can.

3) Wakefield. This may be my biggest concern, as in when is someone going to make it official. Be gone already Tim. The FO is making me nervous here.

4) Chemistry. We know Ortiz does not give a damn about the team so the veteran leadership is already in the hole. It really boils down to Beckett and Pedroia. We know Dustin will not let us down. Maybe Lester says "You know what, I am an adult and I was the #1 starter only 2 years ago so perhaps I can lead this staff.

5) Bucholz. This is a really important matter. Big help or big deficit in the staff. We need him.

Go Boston! The FO has done an exceptional job thus far.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: What could Possibly go Wrong in 2012?

Burrito....happy New Year

It's beyond comprehension that the only way Valentine communicated with Crawford was through his agent.  It's unbelievable.  I would think that Crawford would go out of his way to be accessible.

You're in the far east someplace right?  Out of curiosity, what do you do there?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yes I agree... but sadly we have to wait until June before we know how Crawford will truly respond

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

Good post!! Here's what I'm afraid of:
    1.FO taking both Varitek and Wakefield back. Don't need or want them.
    2.Too many left handed hitters currently in the starting lineup
    3.FO paying Ortiz double what he is worth(14-16 million) thus handcuffing themselves from picking up 2 more solid pitchers. Why is the FO paying Ortiz-strictly a older DH- SO much money? No other team would have given him 8 million
    4.John Henry continuing to babble incohently all year long on the radio-entertaining to say the least, but doesn't shine him or the team in the best light.
    The Toronto Blue Jays and Tampa Rays-not just a 2 team division anymore- both these teams are very solid with alot of young players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

The biggest issue is "backs"
    Buccholtz broke his throwing a pitch.  Why won't it happen again? Will he overcompensate and injure his elbow or shoulder?
    Asceves dodged back injury in 2011 after experiencing injury in previous years. Will the heavier work load of starter or swingman bring the problems back?
    The pitching is paper thin with nothing in reserve and cannot afford to lose anyone especially these two.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

What is in store for 2012. Burrito and Georom will be whining and fretting on a daily basis and make nonsense speculations that Beckett is about to be traded or that Crawford is destined to have six more subpar years. They will be obsessed about Beckett's weight when they were mum about El Guapo and David Wells in the past. They will do their Dr. Phil routine and pretend to be aware of the mindset of Beckett, Papi, Lester, Bucholz as if they are a fly on the wall of the dugout or clubhouse. They will be full of doom and gloom and will make Chicken Little look like Pollyanna. Andrewmitch and Bosox1941 will have to take a backseat to Burrito and Georom in 2012. They are the new King of the Hill chronic whiners and will love every minute of it. BDC posters will tire of their troll act and put both onto ignore before June.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: What could Possibly go Wrong in 2012?:
    [QUOTE]What is in store for 2012. Burrito and Georom will be whining and fretting on a daily basis and make nonsense speculations that Beckett is about to be traded or that Crawford is destined to have six more subpar years. They will be obsessed about Beckett's weight when they were mum about El Guapo and David Wells in the past. They will do their Dr. Phil routine and pretend to be aware of the mindset of Beckett, Papi, Lester, Bucholz as if they are a fly on the wall of the dugout or clubhouse. They will be full of doom and gloom and will make Chicken Little look like Pollyanna. Andrewmitch and Bosox1941 will have to take a backseat to Burrito and Georom in 2012. They are the new King of the Hill chronic whiners and will love every minute of it. BDC posters will tire of their troll act and put both onto ignore before June.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Hey UT! What about me? I too am generally pessimistic when it comes to our chances in 2012.
    Aside from an incompetent GM, I am concerned that the "establishment" RS players do not hold Valetine in high regard, even though he is what this team needs. Crawford and Beckett are both avoiding him (boy there's some maturity) and it will take guys like Pedroia and Gonzo, possibly Ells to persuade the others to give it their all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Happy New Year to everyone from the Boston fan from Cleveland, Ohio. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What could Possibly go Wrong in 2012? : Hey UT! What about me? I too am generally pessimistic when it comes to our chances in 2012. Aside from an incompetent GM, I am concerned that the "establishment" RS players do not hold Valetine in high regard, even though he is what this team needs. Crawford and Beckett are both avoiding him (boy there's some maturity) and it will take guys like Pedroia and Gonzo, possibly Ells to persuade the others to give it their all.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Bobby Valentine must have tremendous frequent flyer miles.

The new Red Sox manager was on MLB Network Radio yesterday and said he would be meeting with Josh Beckett, Clay Buchholz and Carl Crawford this weekend in Texas.

Valentine said he’s eager to meet with Crawford, whom he has reached out to a couple times.

“There is no, from what I gather, any adversarial relationship with either situation. I just want to talk to Carl about his plan for next year,” Valentine said. “Talking to [Dustin] Pedroia, who has had a couple of text messages with him, Carl is working his butt off and doing everything he can to put up and make people shut up, and that’s all I’m asking.”

ONLY GOSSIPS READ TABLOIDS AND MAKE A MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLEHILL. ARE YOU A LITTLE OLD LADY OR ARE YOU JUST TROLLING?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What could Possibly go Wrong in 2012? : Bobby Valentine must have tremendous frequent flyer miles. The new Red Sox manager was on MLB Network Radio yesterday and said he would be meeting with Josh Beckett, Clay Buchholz and Carl Crawford this weekend in Texas. Valentine said he’s eager to meet with Crawford, whom he has reached out to a couple times. “There is no, from what I gather, any adversarial relationship with either situation. I just want to talk to Carl about his plan for next year,” Valentine said. “Talking to [Dustin] Pedroia, who has had a couple of text messages with him, Carl is working his butt off and doing everything he can to put up and make people shut up, and that’s all I’m asking.” ONLY GOSSIPS READ TABLOIDS AND MAKE A MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLEHILL. ARE YOU A LITTLE OLD LADY OR ARE YOU JUST TROLLING?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

It's common knowledge and has been reported that both Beckett and Crawford did not take kindly to BV's analytical comments about them at ESPN, or don't you read the reports.
    Ballplayers, especially narcissistic ones, don't tend to forget or forgive criticism of any kind.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What could Possibly go Wrong in 2012? : It's common knowledge and has been reported that both Beckett and Crawford did not take kindly to BV's analytical comments about them at ESPN, or don't you read the reports. Ballplayers, especially narcissistic ones, don't tend to forget or forgive criticism of any kind.

I've read ALL of those reports and conclude that it is much ado about nothing. Gross speculation and overstatement. Why don't you go play some bocci ball or shuffleboard instead of fanning the flames of gossip here. Life must be quite boring for you to be so concerned with such fodder for tabloids. Do you subscribe to the Enquirer?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

So Crawford and Beckett are what 2? 

Anyone who takes the talking heads seriously, needs help. It's the  ENTERTAINMENT and Sports Programing Network.  The experts are paid to state opinions. You know the same crap they spin every week.

How many new managers meet with all the players? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Burrito....happy New Year It's beyond comprehension that the only way Valentine communicated with Crawford was through his agent.  It's unbelievable.  I would think that Crawford would go out of his way to be accessible. You're in the far east someplace right?  Out of curiosity, what do you do there?
    Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

First off "Happy New Year" everyone. 

I do have my concerns about Josh growing up a bit and becomming our Ace again.  I'm not worried about Lester at all, considering he was the only one to own up to his part in the drinking incident.  I feel Jon will revert back to being the "low key" guy we all know and have a strong year along with Clay.  Pitching and staying off the DL is the key and Ben is also doing a great job adding depth.

If there is a way to land Garza, or one more competent starter I feel Ben hit a home run this off season.  Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Garza, Bard and Aceves would be no easy staff to face.  With guys like Miller & Jenks, if they can contribute along with Melancon, Bailey, Morales and possibly Aceves or Bard "when not starting" it should solidify the pen pretty well. 

Offense, again I'm not worried if we can stay healthy.  CC will have a solid year even though he was graciously overpaid.  Bringing Papi back and a strong season from Youk should help a great deal.  Adding Shoppach wasn't a bad idea but I was really hoping Salty and Lav could split time.  Thats ok, depth is a great thing!

RF,
    a lot of fans haven't mentioned Aviles much but he has a sold bat if he can defend the position well enough, but Cody Ross would be great.

Anything could go wrong but a couple more additions and Ben at least did his job.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What could Possibly go Wrong in 2012? : Hey UT! What about me? I too am generally pessimistic when it comes to our chances in 2012. Aside from an incompetent GM, I am concerned that the "establishment" RS players do not hold Valetine in high regard, even though he is what this team needs. Crawford and Beckett are both avoiding him (boy there's some maturity) and it will take guys like Pedroia and Gonzo, possibly Ells to persuade the others to give it their all.

If I'm Crawford and Beckett I would avoid Valentine also until I get to ST and then do my best to impress him and convince him that last year was a fluke and won't be repeated. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What could Possibly go Wrong in 2012? : If I'm Crawford and Beckett I would avoid Valentine also until I get to ST and then do my best to impress him and convince him that last year was a fluke and won't be repeated. 
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Valentine has no reason to chat with CC regarding last season unless its about his batting stance.  Yes, Carl had a bad start, got hurt, then finished off having a mediocre season.  Youk has been hurt the past two years it happens, regardless how much money one makes.  Hopefully Carl comes back just like Jacoby did so everyone gets off his case a bit.

Beckett is a different story, he never owned up to having, or being part of any issues last season which proves once again his stubborn arrogance and overall immaturity.  Josh having a good year for us is huge so he either gets it together or is traded at some point in my opinion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

The Red Sox lack power in the corner outfield positions. They have sub-par defense on the left side and at catcher.  Unless Sweeney ( or someone )
     can throw, they will not have a good arm in the outfield. Buchholz has yet to show that he's OK and can pitch effectively. The rotation has only three established starters, but see Buchholz. 
    Ortiz might ( might ) start to hit the skids seriously. Youkilis might ( might ) have to sit out a lot of games. 
    A lot could go wrong -- but that also holds for other teams.
    Right now, the Sox are an "iffy" team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Boy I hope Ortiz does what he did in 2011, I really hoped they were going to move on but now that he is here it is really important he duplicate 2011.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

A plane could crash onto Fenway park. Hey, it could happen.....don't laugh--after last September, ANYTHING could happen.....