What do you do with Hanrahan when he comes back?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

What do you do with Hanrahan when he comes back?

Personally I like Bailey closing and  Uehere and taz setting up.   I know hanrahan is a good pitcher and I am not hating on him, but we all know how quickly closers can lose it.  It is a position that is mental as much as physical.

I hope the best for him when he comes back but I worry that putting him in pressure situations when he comes back could disrupt a good thing.,

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: What do you do with Hanrahan when he comes back?

Its Bailey's job to lose IMO. While he seems to be a little like Papelbon in causing unnecessary drama, most of the time he gets the job done. Even Mariano Rivera blew 20% of his save opportunities against the Red Sox. The closer will not always do his job. Its really good to have two closers on the team-as long as Hanrahan doesn't turn into a Gagne.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to trantor's comment:

A nice problem to have.

Not a bad one at all. Uehera can close, as can taz as well. At this point I would feel uncomfortable even bumping one of them down. Again no knock on Hanrahan, the bp just looks good right now...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The way this team is structured and especially playing in the AL East, we are going to play alot of close games which means having another guy who can close out games avoids you having to use Bailey 3 days or more in a row....yesterday when we brought in Mortenson would have been a situation where we might have used Hanrahan.....there will be no lack of opportunities for everyone in the BP, hopefully Egos will not get in the way of them all doing a good job....to Baileys credit it did not in his case. Who gets moved when Hanrahan,Breslow and Morales come back is a much bigger question mark then what role Hanrahan moves in to.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The way this team is structured and especially playing in the AL East, we are going to play alot of close games which means having another guy who can close out games avoids you having to use Bailey 3 days or more in a row....yesterday when we brought in Mortenson would have been a situation where we might have used Hanrahan.....there will be no lack of opportunities for everyone in the BP, hopefully Egos will not get in the way of them all doing a good job....to Baileys credit it did not in his case. Who gets moved when Hanrahan,Breslow and Morales come back is a much bigger question mark then what role Hanrahan moves in to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Mortensen and Wilson are gone no doubt. The only real quesiton there is Miller/Morales. but by the time those three come back the odds are someone else will be hurt,

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Hanrahan and Drew should be sent to Taiwan and join Manny.   LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

When Hanrahan returns, it will be time to panic because it is so easy to have too much good pitching.  The FO can prevent this by dumping all four--Hanrahan, Bailey, Uehara, and Tazawa.  That way, no matter how good the starters are, Sox games will be very exciting in the late innings. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

When Hanrahan returns, it will be time to panic because it is so easy to have too much good pitching.  The FO can prevent this by dumping all four--Hanrahan, Bailey, Uehara, and Tazawa.  That way, no matter how good the starters are, Sox games will be very exciting in the late innings. 

As long as he doesn't mind pitching the 6th inning youve got a point.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Bailey is getting the job done recently as a team's closer.  Even if Hanrahan comes back, I think Bailey's current role is secured if he continues to save the games.  Like pumpsie said above, it's his job to lose and Hanrahan could be fighting for 8th inning job with Uehara.  BTW, if Bailey struggles in the save situations, then Uehara should be given a chance.  He has been lights out so far.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think it is still an open competition for the closer's role. As the season progresses , it will become clearer who gets the job. Right now , my money would be on Bailey. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Bailey keeps the role by virtue of possession.  If he stumbles then Hanrahan can make a case for reinstatement if his performance merits.  But, in this case, possession is 9/10ths of the baseball law.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.