What do you do?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

What do you do?

Isn't there a temptation here to hold Lackey back for a potential game seven? 
    Of course it means almost giving away game six, but would give the Sox an apparent big edge in game seven. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: What do you do?

Why?

It's not like Lackey is pitching on short rest.  He only threw 17 pitches yesterday...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of course it means almost giving away game six, but would give the Sox an apparent big edge in game seven. 

[/QUOTE]

Why not go for the edge in Game 6?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

What? And start who? Peavy on 3 days rest? Dempster? Doubront pitched like 4 innings in 2 nights. He needed these two days off badly just to give us maybe ONE in game six or (hopefully not) two in game 7 backing Peavy again.

This thread is crazy talk

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

no, dont want no game 7; all the pressure is on STL now, if there is a game 7, the pressure will be pretty much the same for both teams, so why go there...

dont tell me a boxer with a chance to knock the other out, gives time to breathe and gain momentum thinkin he can win it in the final round

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

If it goes 7 wouldn't be surprised if the Cards dont start Miller.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Lackey can give us a win in game 7, why don't we take that win in game 6 and wrap this series?  Some of these posters try to do too much, just like players in a long slump.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Lackey pitches gm 6. If there's a gm 7 it's all hands on deck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lackey pitches gm 6. If there's a gm 7 it's all hands on deck.

[/QUOTE]

this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I must admit that thought did cross my mind too, but I quickly rejected it.  Since the Sox now only need one more win no way do I want to see this going to a game seven.  Our history in game 7s is pretty clear. 1946,1967,1975, 1986.....   This series needs to end in game 6.    Besides if you recall in game 4 of the 86 series we pretty much tried this same idea.  We gave up game 4 to set up our pitching for games 5 and 6.... We won game 5, and like now were up 3-2 headed back to NYC with our "ace" ready for the clincher.   It almost worked........  But it didn't!!     No!!! We need to  go for the win in game 6, as if it's really game 7, and hope our line up continues to break out of it's slump...... The only thing I want to be doing Thursday night is handing out candy to the kids!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

The reasoning would be to avoid Wacha vs. Lackey and then in the event of a loss Peavy pitching game seven. I have almost no confidence in Peavy at this point. His whole post season history is pretty bad even going back to S.D. and it might be a make-up issue. Could be his intensity does not translate well to the big stage. 
    I'd like to see Doubrant start game seven if it came down to Peavy or Doubrant. 
    Basically you almost give away game seven in order to have Lackey in game seven against one of the Cardinals lower half of the rotation guys. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

[QUOTE]

The reasoning would be to avoid Wacha vs. Lackey and then in the event of a loss Peavy pitching game seven. I have almost no confidence in Peavy at this point. His whole post season history is pretty bad even going back to S.D. and it might be a make-up issue. Could be his intensity does not translate well to the big stage. 
    Basically you almost give away game seven in order to have Lackey in game seven against one of the Cardinals lower half of the rotation guys. 

[/QUOTE]

I totally understand your reasoning and as I said considered the same thing.   But to me one of the huge advantages we have is we only need to win one game they need two.   If we give away a game we also give away a huge advantage.  

I'd suggest that before we try to get overly creative here we consider the following.   I am assuming we will pretty much keep the line up of the last two games, with the addition now of the DH.   We have replaced Victorino and Salty both of whom were automatic outs at both ends of our line up now with some punch.  Our line up tomorrow night should then be a lot more challenging for Wacha to deal with than in game two......   

If it does go to a game 7 I think we still need to start Peavy but on a very short leash.  To me the key here is more our offense than our pitching.    I think we have the pitching in both game 6 as well as a potential game 7 to keep the games close. But we need our offense to score more runs. If they can score early like we did in game one I think that takes all sorts of pressure off of both Lackey and Peavy.....  

It's not reasonable to expect either of these guys to pitch like Lester did last night so our offense realy does need to step it up. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

G6:  

C:  Salty* 

1-6:  Lackey

7:  Breslow

8:  Tazawa

9:  Koji  

Extra Innings:  Peavy (only)

*  Start Salty but bring in Ross in the 7th

G7 if Necessary:  

C:  Ross  

1-4+:  Doubrant

4, 5:  Workman

6, 7, 8: Lester (40 pitches)

9:  Koji  

Extra Innings:   

10. Koji

11+. Tazawa

????????????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely no temptation whatsoever.

Too many things can happen in a game 7.

Trust Lackey to hold the Card offense and hope the Sox (and Ortiz) can get to Wacha, in game 6.

Finish this thing and fire up the duck boats!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stalino. Show Stalino's posts

I love it when newbies try to suggest new ideas that rival basic common sense. Normally I would just have them executed but in today's world I can only make fun of their stupidity.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Stalino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love it when newbies try to suggest new ideas that rival basic common sense. Normally I would just have them executed but in today's world I can only make fun of their stupidity.

[/QUOTE]

Oh ye of a whole 11 posts....  Let me guess...you got the boot because you're a d0uche and you came up with a different name. 

BTW.....how does when get kicked off of an on-line sports forum????? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stalino. Show Stalino's posts

How would you feel if the Sox held Lackey back until the 7th game and gave Dempster or Doubrant the start for Game 6?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

How would you feel if the Sox held Lackey back until the 7th game and gave Dempster or Doubrant the start for Game 6?

[/QUOTE]

Not starting Lackey in Game 6 would be about as cool as that ascot your avatar is wearing.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

iT IS NOT HAPPENING

FARRELL WANT HIS TEAM TO WIN IT ALL BY TRYING TO WIN GAME 6.  IF THEY LOSE, THEN FARRELL WILL USE WHOEVER DIDNT PITCH ON GAME 6.  IF LACKEY GOES 7 INNINGS AND FARRELL ONLY USE TWO TO THREE BULLPEN RELIEVER, THEN IT IS MORE LIKELY FARRELL WILL GO WITH DOUBRONT AS A STARTER.  THEN WHO KNOW LESTER, PEAVY, DEMPSTER, ETC COULD BE THE MIDDLE RELIEVER DEPENDING HOW THE GAME GOES.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

iT IS NOT HAPPENING

FARRELL WANT HIS TEAM TO WIN IT ALL BY TRYING TO WIN GAME 6.  IF THEY LOSE, THEN FARRELL WILL USE WHOEVER DIDNT PITCH ON GAME 6.  IF LACKEY GOES 7 INNINGS AND FARRELL ONLY USE TWO TO THREE BULLPEN RELIEVER, THEN IT IS MORE LIKELY FARRELL WILL GO WITH DOUBRONT AS A STARTER.  THEN WHO KNOW LESTER, PEAVY, DEMPSTER, ETC COULD BE THE MIDDLE RELIEVER DEPENDING HOW THE GAME GOES.

[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.....however, can you do us all a favor and not use all caps?  It's tough to read.....lower case letters are your friend too....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stalino. Show Stalino's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not starting Lackey in Game 6 would be about as cool as that ascot your avatar is wearing.....

[/QUOTE]

I do not engage in peasantry banter with your kind... I simply have you removed along with your family to a nice place I like to call the Far East.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely no temptation. You bring the house in game six. Doubrant must be waarming up because Cards record against lefties is horrid. Pretend there is no game 7.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to boboinfla's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely no temptation. You bring the house in game six. Doubrant must be waarming up because Cards record against lefties is horrid. Pretend there is no game 7.

[/QUOTE]

Pretending there is no G7 could be suicide.  Doubrant and Workman are held off for G7; both could benefit from extra rest.......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So instead giving away gm 7, which won't be necessary if we win gm 6, you want to give away gm 6 and play the do or die gm 7?  your reasoning doesn't make sense at all.  Because you don't have confidence in a pitcher who hasn't been named as a starter yet, it's less risky to push back Lackey, who fairly matched Wacha in gm 2, to gm 7?  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do not engage in peasantry banter with your kind... I simply have you removed along with your family to a nice place I like to call the Far East.

[/QUOTE]
    sorry to say but you really don't sound like a very nice person. you speak of executions and sending one and his family to the far east. ever been to the far east chum? I have. also I find it wierd about your comment about "newbys" when all you have is 11 posts of your own. so tell me. what took you so long to come back conan?