4, 5:  Workman

6, 7, 8: Lester (40 pitches)

9:  Koji  

Extra Innings:   

10. Koji

11+. Tazawa

????????????

[/QUOTE]

If Salty starts, or Breslow gets anywhere near the bullpen, Farrell should be hung in Kenmore Square.

You just took two in a row from the Cards in STL with Ross behind the plate. He calls a better game, is better defensively and right now at least is way better at the plate. So what is it with the need to play Salty?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: What do you do?

In response to sml1210's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

G6:  

C:  Salty* 

1-6:  Lackey

7:  Breslow

8:  Tazawa

Extra Innings:  Peavy (only)

*  Start Salty but bring in Ross in the 7th

G7 if Necessary:  

C:  Ross  

1-4+:  Doubrant

Extra Innings:   

10. Koji

11+. Tazawa

????????????

[/QUOTE]

If Salty starts, or Breslow gets anywhere near the bullpen, Farrell should be hung in Kenmore Square.

You just took two in a row from the Cards in STL with Ross behind the plate. He calls a better game, is better defensively and right now at least is way better at the plate. So what is it with the need to play Salty?

[/QUOTE]

That is right.

dont know what these fans are thinking.  Since Farrell is more focus on defense than offense, then he should do it again for game 6!

Cardinals just have a very good pitching just like Detriot, and we all know that the game will not be a blow out.  That is why Farrell is focusing on more on defense and pitching than worry about offense.  Offense will come out of nowhere from this Boston line up such as Papi first, Napoli next, Gomes after that and Ross last nite!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I get all that but Salty and Lackey have been a good tandem.  And I indicated that you bring Ross in later in the game. 

I think you are going to need Breslow if Lackey can't give you 7 and I don't expect him to go 7.  What I do w/ Brez is give him a clean inning to start.  We need to have 1 lefty in there to mix things up.  If there is a G7 we could stay away from him......

You are still focusing on D; you have Drew at SS, Vic back in RF, Naps back at 1B, and you bring Ross in for the 7th.........(And Ross is in there for G7; unless you need to PR for him in extra innings)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

I get all that but Salty and Lackey have been a good tandem.  And I indicated that you bring Ross in later in the game. 

I think you are going to need Breslow if Lackey can't give you 7 and I don't expect him to go 7.  What I do w/ Brez is give him a clean inning to start.  We need to have 1 lefty in there to mix things up.  If there is a G7 we could stay away from him......

You are still focusing on D; you have Drew at SS, Vic back in RF, Naps back at 1B, and you bring Ross in for the 7th.........(And Ross is in there for G7; unless you need to PR for him in extra innings)

[/QUOTE]

Breslow will come in if there is going to be two left handed batters in the next three hitter in the line up.  If most of them are a rightie, then Farrell will go with Tawaza as well maybe Peavy or maybe Workman

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Breslow will come in if there is going to be two left handed batters in the next three hitter in the line up.  If most of them are a rightie, then Farrell will go with Tawaza as well maybe Peavy or maybe Workman

[/QUOTE]

Ideally, yes Brez for lefties.......But I'd save Workman to back up Doubrant and I save Peavy for Extra Innings in G6 so we can keep options available for G7.  Of course, all of this comes down to Lackey giving us a QS.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Stalino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Stalino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How would you feel if the Sox held Lackey back until the 7th game and gave Dempster or Doubrant the start for Game 6?

[/QUOTE]

Not starting Lackey in Game 6 would be about as cool as that ascot your avatar is wearing.....

[/QUOTE]

I do not engage in peasantry banter with your kind... I simply have you removed along with your family to a nice place I like to call the Far East.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.....it's very generous of you but I already live on the eastern coast of the US.  Maybe somebody else here will take you up on that offer....

BTW..... tick tock....tick tock....tick tock....tick tock......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I could maybe see starting Salty, but he's not going to hit Wacha and worse than that he's giving indications he's got the defensive "yipps." 
    I admit the Sox have no good option for game six if they hold Lackey back. I think game six is too soon for Doubrant given his stamnia issues. 
    I absolutely start Doubrant over Peavy if it comes to a game seven.
    BTW. I never said Lackey must be held back for a game seven. Never said anyone should think that way. I would consider it. 
    On the plus side Wacha threw a lot of pitches in his last outing, you would think he's due to be human. I think Boggy will hit him. Drew, Ellsbury, and Victorino, are due to bust out with something. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The reasoning would be to avoid Wacha vs. Lackey and then in the event of a loss Peavy pitching game seven. I have almost no confidence in Peavy at this point. His whole post season history is pretty bad even going back to S.D. and it might be a make-up issue. Could be his intensity does not translate well to the big stage. 
    I'd like to see Doubrant start game seven if it came down to Peavy or Doubrant. 
    Basically you almost give away game seven in order to have Lackey in game seven against one of the Cardinals lower half of the rotation guys. 

[/QUOTE]

I understand your point but they need to go for the win in game 6, anything can happen in game 7, remember the obstruction call.

They don't want to show fear and if the sox show they don't believe they can win it against wacha they give the cards a big advantage.

Sox in six!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

The reasoning would be to avoid Wacha vs. Lackey and then in the event of a loss Peavy pitching game seven. I have almost no confidence in Peavy at this point. His whole post season history is pretty bad even going back to S.D. and it might be a make-up issue. Could be his intensity does not translate well to the big stage. 
    I'd like to see Doubrant start game seven if it came down to Peavy or Doubrant. 
    Basically you almost give away game seven in order to have Lackey in game seven against one of the Cardinals lower half of the rotation guys. 

IF our Sox can't close it out in game 6 and we go to game 7, Doubrant is my choice over Peavy for game 7.  For whatever reason, I have read that the Cards have had a tough time in 2013 beating a left hander and Doubrant was able to hold them in check in his relief role twice this series.  Peavy just has not recently shown that he should be the guy for game 7.  Right now Peavy appears to me to be inconsistant, does not appear to have much confidence on the mound, or is mentally focused, ala Lester or Uehara have shown to be.  GO SOX!  Close it out in game 6.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

While I understand all the concerns here I think it's critical that we keep in mind that it is we who are up 3-2 needing one more win and playing at home. St Louis, not us currently are the ones who have their backs to the wall.     

But like everyone else here I don't want to see a game 7 either.....  So we need to be careful not to talk ourselves into thinking pitching is our only concern.   Whoever pitches tomorrow night will need run support.

Obviously St Louis has struggled gettings runs too. I would epect then that tomorrow they will be trying anything they can to generate some offense.  That to me means we need our best catcher for these circumstances behind the plate. That certainly is not Salty

While I know pitching is the name of the game I also know you can't win if you don't score more runs than the other guy no mater how good your pitching is.   Given what our pitching options are at best for game 6 and perhaps 7 we must think in terms that we need more runs than last night. We can't do that if we have three automatic outs across our line up like we did in the first 3 games.  

Bottom line for me is we need the players in the line up that give us the best chances to score as many runs as we can.  That pretty much suggest to me the line up we saw last night.  

I think Lackey can pitch well enough to win tomorrow night but we need to give him more than just a couple of runs to do it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I wouldn't start Doubront in Game 7 for 2 reasons.  One, he would kind of be on short rest because he pitched in Games 3 & 4.  Two, he has been a weapon out of the bullpen and I see him as a better option than Breslow right now.  The plan for Game 6 should be:

Lackey (5-7 innings)

Doubront (from when Lackey leaves through the 7th)

Tazawa (8th inning)

Uehara (9th)

If things go badly you can use Dempster and/or Breslow to save guys for Game 7.  I also would trust Workman if needed for a couple of batters.

Game 7 if necessary I would go:

Peavey (3 innings)

Lester (2 innings)

Doubront (2 innings)

Then Tazawa and Uehara again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to fizsh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wouldn't start Doubront in Game 7 for 2 reasons.  One, he would kind of be on short rest because he pitched in Games 3 & 4.  Two, he has been a weapon out of the bullpen and I see him as a better option than Breslow right now.  The plan for Game 6 should be:

Lackey (5-7 innings)

Doubront (from when Lackey leaves through the 7th)

Tazawa (8th inning)

Uehara (9th)

If things go badly you can use Dempster and/or Breslow to save guys for Game 7.  I also would trust Workman if needed for a couple of batters.

Game 7 if necessary I would go:

Peavey (3 innings)

Lester (2 innings)

Doubront (2 innings)

Then Tazawa and Uehara again.

[/QUOTE]

the only problem w/ your plan is Peavy.  I'd hate for us to fall behind in a must-win game....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Some other thoughts. 

If they pinch hit for Ross is it possible Napoli can move to catcher for an inning or two? 

Buchholtz is apparently available?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

In response to sml1210's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

G6:  

C:  Salty* 

1-6:  Lackey

7:  Breslow

8:  Tazawa

Extra Innings:  Peavy (only)

*  Start Salty but bring in Ross in the 7th

G7 if Necessary:  

C:  Ross  

1-4+:  Doubrant

Extra Innings:   

10. Koji

11+. Tazawa

????????????

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree. I really don't want to see Breslow come in unless we are winning by six or more runs.  Salty has been the strikeout king this series, barely touching a pitch with his bat.  I really think game is going to be like game one with the Sox winning big.