what do you think of stanton?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

what do you think of stanton?

my thought is to sign stanton and let ellsberry go.put stanton in

center and play there.what do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

Re: what do you think of stanton?

In response to soxyjim's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They'd have to trade for Stanton, and I'm not sure it's possible.  But that would be awesome.  I'd probably play Victorino in center in that scenario. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

soxyjim just wants attention.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They would have to give up 2-3 top prospects as well as some other not-so-top guys for him. Also, hes NOT a CF'er, hes a corner OF'er. Think names like Owens, Bogaerts, JBJ, Workman, etc., to acquire him. Just wait a couple years and he will be available as a FA. Hes had issues staying on the field his 1st 4 years with little nagging type injuries. Not a good sign. Decent OPS for a "power bat", but only over 900 once.

I like the kid and if the Sox can get him without giving up too much AND agree to an extension, then it would seem a little more worth it. But if Ells makes 20M per, imagine what Stanton is going to command.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

This is definitely the successor to the perpetual "Trade for King Felix" threads.

I would have to think that the Marlins would demand Bogaerts be part of any trade package, and that's not going to happen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to soxyjim's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They can't sign Stanton. They'd have to unload 4-5 prospects for him. I would do it in a heartbeat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I would not think about trading for him even for a second. He's 23 years old and already has hamstring issues. Further trading for him would gut the top prospects in the farm system. 
    If they could get him for Bradley, Middy, Lava, Britton, and Bryce that's one thing, but even leaving out Bogaerts I imagine it would take: Cecchini, Owens, Ball, Swihart, and Betts.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

We all know Sox have the farm to land Stanton.  But we also know that we are not gonna like their asking price and we also know that Stanton won't be available.  If Marlins will give up their franchise player, they will want a franchise player in return.  If we can have Stanton for 4-5 prospects without giving up Bogaerts, then we can afford to lose some top prospects.  Cecchini, Owens, Barnes, JBJ for Stanton should get the deal done but that's a lot of young talents we are giving up for a player.  And even if we land Stanton somehow, he's not gonna play CF.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Middlebrooks and Bucholz for Stanton.... that is a real MLB deal!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think some people fall in love with prospects and want to see them all come up to the show and perform, but there are only 9 players on the field at a time.  The Sox need a replacement for Papi's bat for years to come... look what he did for us as well as Manny after we picked them up for as many years as they played here.  Stanton is Miguel Cabrera 2.0, Manny 2.0, Papi 2.0... he is in that class of hitters.  He is young, affordable and fills a huge need for this team not just in the near term, but for the next decade. 

If you do make a big trade and trade away quality prospects, this is the type of player to do it for.  The Marlins will want some MLB ready players as well as prospects.  The headline player that is MLB ready should be Middlebrooks to the Marlins.

Middlebrooks doesn't fit in with the style of Red Sox patient hitting that we want to employ, so I think he becomes expendable... yes he has 30 HR power... but that's what gives him trade value. 

Pitches per plate appearances and rank vs. the league

1. Napoli     4.59
    13. Nava     4.11
    17 Pedroia  4.05
    36 Ells         3.86
    37 Papi        3.85
    39 Victorino 3.83

Middlebrooks walk rate was at 4.5% behind Willy Mo Pena at 6% when he was here and he strikes out 24.5% of the time.  He has a career  .294 OBP and doesn't have the walks or pitches to make up for the strike outs.  He has already been mentioned in rumor with the Marlins as the GM there brought his name up specifically in an interview a couple days ago.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-11-03/sports/sfl-marlins-dan-jennings-radio-interview-blog-20131103_1_marlins-park-mark-trumbo-giancarlo-stanton

After Will, the Sox have some choices to make... but it begin with Middlebrooks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was actually thinking the same thing with Clay and Middlebrooks.  We would have to throw in cash to pay for Clay's salary to make it worth it for the Marlins, but I think he is the type of pitcher you get rid of while he still has value as his body type will never allow him to be a workhorse in the league. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Middy = 24/80 and Stanton = 35/115

DO THE MATH!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was actually thinking the same thing with Clay and Middlebrooks.  We would have to throw in cash to pay for Clay's salary to make it worth it for the Marlins, but I think he is the type of pitcher you get rid of while he still has value as his body type will never allow him to be a workhorse in the league. A great reade

[/QUOTE]

I see. But frankly I say NO CASH! The Marlins should be sued for turning this deal down! A great trade for both teams! We should not have to pay them on top of it. Get er' done!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was actually thinking the same thing with Clay and Middlebrooks.  We would have to throw in cash to pay for Clay's salary to make it worth it for the Marlins, but I think he is the type of pitcher you get rid of while he still has value as his body type will never allow him to be a workhorse in the league. A great reade

[/QUOTE]

I see. But frankly I say NO CASH! The Marlins should be sued for turning this deal down! A great trade for both teams! We should not have to pay them on top of it. Get er' done!

[/QUOTE]

The cash would be to reduce the amount of prospects as they would surely want some lower level guys with high upside like Buttery, Bradley, Owens, Barnes, Ball etc.  I would rather have the team spend cash than extra prospects.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I understand but still NO. The Marlins might be tight but that doesn't mean lick their azz to make the trade. You are sending them 2 excellent players who can make an impact... no need to do more. If they refuse you don't make the deal.

But okay cash the Sox have - not the end all. However MLB needs to force Miami to commit to a 100 million payroll.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Fenway is an oddly configured playing field in that it requires two center fielders and one outfielder who can have somewhat limited range.  A Jim Rice type player who has good offensive numbers and can learn to play the wall. 

So if we acquire Stanton, what do we have defensively?  We have a RF who can't play RF well in 50% of the team's games because there's just too much acreage out there for him to patrol.  If he's put in the only natural postion for him in Fenway (LF) we still have a player playing LF with hamstring issues who has played ~120 games a year for the past two years.  And we still need to CF's - one for CF and one for RF. 

No thanks.  Not for what the Sox would have to give up to get him.  If he could be gotten for one (or maybe even two) top level prospects I could be interested, but not for what he will command.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

wow. Until this year we have never had "two" center-fielders and we have almost always had a LF who could mash. More holes in your logic than holes in the ocean.

Evans, Nixon, Brunansky, Drew? These were center-fileders at heart?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

I understand but still NO. The Marlins might be tight but that doesn't mean lick their azz to make the trade. You are sending them 2 excellent players who can make an impact... no need to do more. If they refuse you don't make the deal.

But okay cash the Sox have - not the end all. However MLB needs to force Miami to commit to a 100 million payroll.

[/QUOTE]

I'm in agreement with you that Miami scams the league out of money, but that is exactly why we include the cash.  They are greedy SOBs who don't care about the game, just sucking cash off the league. 

That said, it would be foolish of a cash rich team that won't spend over the soft cap to not exercise it's financial strength.  Throwing in cash to keep prospects has always been in the best interests of the Sox, so I don't see them stopping here.  We can discuss the moral issues later, but if they can swing a deal like this... I would like to see them move on it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm in agreement with you that Miami scams the league out of money, but that is exactly why we include the cash.  They are greedy SOBs who don't care about the game, just sucking cash off the league. 

That said, it would be foolish of a cash rich team that won't spend over the soft cap to not exercise it's financial strength.  Throwing in cash to keep prospects has always been in the best interests of the Sox, so I don't see them stopping here.  We can discuss the moral issues later, but if they can swing a deal like this... I would like to see them move on it.

[/QUOTE]

no worries. It is a trade I would make, cash okay but no more players than Middy/Clay

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

wow. Until this year we have never had "two" center-fielders and we have almost always had a LF who could mash. More holes in your logic than holes in the ocean.

Evans, Nixon, Brunansky, Drew? These were center-fileders at heart?

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Does the number 84 ring a bell with you?  They proved last year that having a CF in RF pays dividends.  I honestly don't know how many times I saw Victorino run down a ball, and my immediate reaction was how nice it is to have a CF playing RF. 

And I completely support having a masher in LF, even at the expense of stellar defense.  Which is why many of the mashers the Sox have had are LF's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

eeek man! Shane was my #1 signing. We have Shane and JBJR. Put Stanton in LF.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Marlins have Colin Moran as their futre 3B who could be getting Sept. call-up in two yrs.  If Marlins deceide to give up Stanton, they will want young pitching and OF prospects.  Why would they want Clay Buchholz? They already have an ace and will want #2 and #3 starter behind Jose Fernandez who can contribute in the major in 2 yrs.  Barnes and Owens likely.  Middlebrooks can be thrown in but he's not going to be the centerpiece in Stanton trade if there will ever be one.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly! But there's a limit to how much I'll pay for him.  Stanton is averaging ~120 games played/year over the past two years.  Just as a benchmark, that's fewer than Ellsbury.  Frown

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly! But there's a limit to how much I'll pay for him.  Stanton is averaging ~120 games played/year over the past two years.  Just as a benchmark, that's fewer than Ellsbury.  Frown

[/QUOTE]

We have Nava and Gomes.  If Stanton plays 120 games and put up 30+ HR and 100+ RBI every year, I'll take that and let Nava and Gomes play the rest.  We could easily get 40+ HR and 130+ RBI from LF.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

This reminds me of the threads about Adrian Gonzalez.

Everbody was drooling over this guy, was willing to give up the farm for the guy who would be gold glove, MVP , maybe even win the triple crown!!! ( and they had him as starting All Star before he even stepped in the batter's box at Fenway).

All I can say is: Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

I cautioned people about getting too excited about Gonzalez before he ever played a single game in a Red Sox uniform ( although I actually liked the deal, liked the player and was fairly certain he would do well).

Sometimes fans get too excited over one guy. Remember it's a team sport. After this season we should understand that more than we have in the past.

Some people never learn.