what do you think of stanton?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: what do you think of stanton?

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

This reminds me of the threads about Adrian Gonzalez.

Everbody was drooling over this guy, was willing to give up the farm for the guy who would be gold glove, MVP , maybe even win the triple crown!!! ( and they had him as starting All Star before he even stepped in the batter's box at Fenway).

All I can say is: Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

I cautioned people about getting too excited about Gonzalez before he ever played a single game in a Red Sox uniform ( although I actually liked the deal, liked the player and was fairly certain he would do well).

Sometimes fans get too excited over one guy. Remember it's a team sport. After this season we should understand that more than we have in the past.

Some people never learn.

You are saying AGon sucked while with the Red Sox?  Think again.  His 2 yr stint with the Red Sox was his career best as a hitter.  Don't say his HR numbers were down.  Yea.  some people never learn that HR numbers don't speak for players' offense.  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yeah, I don't know.  If we can keep Owens Cecchini and Bogaerts and still get him, then okay. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, I think just think that Ben C is focusing on resiging these four F/A's.  If two out of four come back, then Ben C can shift on making a trade for Stanton.  Let say Ellsbury and Drew come back which mean Ben C can trade Middlebrook and JBJ along with mid-prospect pitchings.  That is a fair deal.  

No way that Ben C is going to put Barnes, Middlebrook, JBJ, Raunado, Workman, etc for just one guy!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Middy = 24/80 and Stanton = 35/115

DO THE MATH!

[/QUOTE]

Hes hit 35hr once and 87RBI is his best. Although i realize RBI has a little to do with opportunity.

Hes also only played in 100, 123, 116, and 150 games in his 4 years. Hes had injury issues. Just like Upton last year, the potential is there, but the consistency isnt. defense isnt exactly really good and Fenway has a big RF.

Im not saying hes not talented, because he is. Im just saying giving up guys like Owens, Bogaerts and Cecchini are not a good idea IMHO. I though Xander was going to be that big bat we've hoped for when papi leaves. Id love to have Stanton, but not willing to give up the farm to do it. Especially if theres no extension.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from echochamberbuster. Show echochamberbuster's posts

What do you think about Yaseil Puig?

You need to stop thinking.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to soxyjim's comment:
    [QUOTE]

my thought is to sign stanton and let ellsberry go.put stanton in

center and play there.what do you think?

[/QUOTE]

They can't sign Stanton. They'd have to unload 4-5 prospects for him. I would do it in a heartbeat.

[/QUOTE]

Thats why you wouldn't make a good owner.  But if you were an owner you wouldn't do it in a heartbeat.... Very easy to want a player , But owning a team is not that easy to just say in a heartbeat........ Our in a heartbeat mean nothing....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

Why would they trade Stanton for clay/middy? Do you guys really think thats the best they can do? Both have great talent and upside but im not sure anyone is 100% convinced that middy is a major leaguer long term or that clay can stay healthy enough to make a long term impact, why trade a proven impact bat for that when there are gonna be a ton of teams ready to throw the farm at this guy? Not happening, plus clay is not looking very attractive with lingering shoulder issues to end the season, he was throwing 86-89 his last start, and Miami is gonna send Stanton over for him and middlebrooks? Come on guys, seriously? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I said this before but the guy is 23 and has nagging hamstring issues. 

Also he is cheap next year. The next year he becomes arbitration eligible. By the time Ortiz retires he isn't going to be cheap anymore unless he's proven to be a bust. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

By the time Ortiz retires Stanton will be a free agent and the Sox can sign him for 30 million a year for ten years...which I'm sure everyone will be advocating for???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

By the time Ortiz retires Stanton will be a free agent and the Sox can sign him for 30 million a year for ten years...which I'm sure everyone will be advocating for???

[/QUOTE]

It all depends on how well he plays.  If he is the legit power hitter, then yeah, pay him whatever he wants.  If he flops, he flops.  The risk is in giving up the entire farm.  The salary situation I actually think it's better that that is yet to be determined.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

So why aren't people saying the Sox should sign Cano? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

_

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pitches per plate appearances and rank vs. the league

1. Napoli     4.59
    13. Nava     4.11
    17 Pedroia  4.05
    36 Ells         3.86
    37 Papi        3.85
    39 Victorino 3.83

[/QUOTE]

You forgot somebody.............

1. Napoli     4.59

12.MIDDLEBROOKS   4.11
    13. Nava     4.11
    17 Pedroia  4.05
    36 Ells         3.86
    37 Papi        3.85
    39 Victorino 3.83

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

[QUOTE]

This reminds me of the threads about Adrian Gonzalez.

Everbody was drooling over this guy, was willing to give up the farm for the guy who would be gold glove, MVP , maybe even win the triple crown!!! ( and they had him as starting All Star before he even stepped in the batter's box at Fenway).

All I can say is: Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

I cautioned people about getting too excited about Gonzalez before he ever played a single game in a Red Sox uniform ( although I actually liked the deal, liked the player and was fairly certain he would do well).

Sometimes fans get too excited over one guy. Remember it's a team sport. After this season we should understand that more than we have in the past.

Some people never learn.

[/QUOTE]

You are saying AGon sucked while with the Red Sox?  Think again.  His 2 yr stint with the Red Sox was his career best as a hitter.  Don't say his HR numbers were down.  Yea.  some people never learn that HR numbers don't speak for players' offense.  

[/QUOTE]

I didn't say his was "bad." or that he didn't play well.

Just that he was already in the Red Sox Hall Of Fame ( in some people's minds) before he played a regular season game.

I liked him and thought he was very talented.

But the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, as they say.

The Red Sox with Beckett, Gonzalez, Crawford, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Lester and Ortiz was not as good as the Red Sox with Gomes, Napoli, Victornio, Lester , Pedroia, Ortiz ,Ellsbury, Uehara, Tazawa, Breslow, etc.

I would hate to send away players who might make this a "team effort" like 2013 was , in favor of having a guy who may be MVP , WHILE THE TEAM FINISHES IN THIRD PLACE. With the big names gone, Cherry was able to sign some grinders with the money he saved and the team prevailed. Do you really want to go backwards form here?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

A-Gon didn't suck, it just wasn't God's will. Undecided

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Problem is 3 of those 4.11 Middlebrooks pitches were strikes.  That needs to improve.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Middlebrooks and Bucholz for Stanton.... that is a real MLB deal!

I was actually thinking the same thing with Clay and Middlebrooks.  We would have to throw in cash to pay for Clay's salary to make it worth it for the Marlins, but I think he is the type of pitcher you get rid of while he still has value as his body type will never allow him to be a workhorse in the league. A great reade

[/QUOTE]

I see. But frankly I say NO CASH! The Marlins should be sued for turning this deal down! A great trade for both teams! We should not have to pay them on top of it. Get er' done!

[/QUOTE]

Why do these goofy threads always turn into a session of "I'll give you 6 stained Marv Throneberry cards for the Mickey Mantle" conversation?

Really?  A stud RH batter at age 23 a year removed from HOF comps that every team in MLB drools over for a 2-time Pawtuckett washout at 3B and a talented glass vase that can't pitch 150 innings?

Really?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

In a word no thanks! He is an intriguing young player. To cost prohibitive.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I wazsn't proposing sending the farm to Miami, only Middy and Clay. Fair deal and worth it for both teams.

Stanton and Xander could be the next Manny/Ortiz. The rest of the roster can be medium type players (Victorino, Napoli's  etc.,)

Alas we will wake up one morning this winter and Stanton will have ben traded.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Middy = 24/80 and Stanton = 35/115

DO THE MATH!

[/QUOTE]

I did the math.  Their numbers per 162 games-

Player A  31 HRs 99 RBIs .254

Player B  39 HRs 97 RBIs .265

I'm cherry picking, but the difference between them is not quite as large as some might imagine.

Or, as I mentioned in another thread, if there was a rookie 3B out there that had 31 HRs, 99 RBIsm and .254 in his first season, most of the board would be lamenting that he wasn't on our team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I see. I was specualting on what they might average going forward. Middlebrooks is a great #6 hitter. Stanton is an awesome #3 or 4 hitter. I guess in 15 years we can see if I am right.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I would love to have Stanton but would cost way to much.  Let's keep building!  In a couple more years Owens maybe one of the hottest young pitcher's in the game.