What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power?

I guess the HR-Derbygate could be real and it sapped his HR power somehow forever more.  However, he also hit 1 HR last April, and then proceeded to go on a first half power surge that was awesome.  Adrian is a San Diego/Mexico kid.  I think the cold of early spring in the northlands has more to do with it than anything.  Also, the thing about Adrian is that he is much more of a master bats-man than a power hitter per se.  If pitchers are consistently pitching him away from his wheelhouse, Gonzalez is perfectly content to hit opposite field singles and lazy Monstah doubles (so effectively that he has entirely sold that approach to Ortiz). I think RBIs are the more important statistic in analyzing his performance.  He may never be the 40 dinger guy everyone in Boston was lusting for, but HRs are fascist and overrated anyway.  We still get arguably the best hitter in the game today, and if he knocks in 120+, I don't care how he does it.  But, my money is still on him heating up the ol' laser show in May and being the big 3-4 guy anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I projected him with 45 HRs!  

Yikes!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power?:
    [QUOTE]I projected him with 45 HRs!   Yikes!
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] didn't pan out last year, so i'm re-submitting his 3 HR game for this year..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy stilleatsworms. Show MikeNagy stilleatsworms's posts

Quit complaining! He's got more power than Pujols

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

At least we don't have to worry about Adrian getting suspended for steroid abuse.

If he's using, he's got a bad batch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]I guess the HR-Derbygate could be real and it sapped his HR power somehow forever more.  However, he also hit 1 HR last April, and then proceeded to go on a first half power surge that was awesome.  Adrian is a San Diego/Mexico kid.  I think the cold of early spring in the northlands has more to do with it than anything.  Also, the thing about Adrian is that he is much more of a master bats-man than a power hitter per se.  If pitchers are consistently pitching him away from his wheelhouse, Gonzalez is perfectly content to hit opposite field singles and lazy Monstah doubles (so effectively that he has entirely sold that approach to Ortiz). I think RBIs are the more important statistic in analyzing his performance.  He may never be the 40 dinger guy everyone in Boston was lusting for, but HRs are fascist and overrated anyway.  We still get arguably the best hitter in the game today, and if he knocks in 120+, I don't care how he does it.  But, my money is still on him heating up the ol' laser show in May and being the big 3-4 guy anyway.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE] I was with you until the "arguably, best hitter in the game" part

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power? : I was with you until the "arguably, best hitter in the game" part
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

OK.  Ichiro, and ...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power? : OK.  Ichiro, and ...
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
    and hamilton; and cano; and cabrera and kemp; and ....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power? : OK.  Ichiro, and ...
    It  still a good post - two years ago everyone would have had mauer and pujols on that list as well. Gonzalez is bargain compared to what they're paying pujols and fielder.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power? : and hamilton; and cano; and cabrera and kemp; and ....
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

ok, crunching the numbers, over the long haul, carbrera is the only one who has better numbers, and thats without any ballpark adjustments.  i am basing my 'arguably the best' arguement on not just numbers, but also, subjective analysis of swing and lack of weaknesses and cunning.  I put Adrian right there with any of those guys.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I don't think the "pace" argument holds a lot of water because for most power hitters, the HR's tend to come in bunches, I'd bet that Agon still gets to 30+ on the year. 

I do however share some of the sentiment about overall, being disappointed with his power numbers.  I do believe in "derbygate" and think that last year, with his weak shoulder, that really contributed to his second half power outage.  There are also other cases of guys really struggling power wise after the HR derby.  At the end of the day the RBI are probably more important than HR numbers but at some point he needs to heat up power wise, otherwise he is more or less a Wade Boggs clone in the middle of the line-up. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I agree with Space. Gonzalez started slow last year then heated up -- like many power hitters -- when the weather warmed up. I think he'll hit 30 to 35, and I think he might have a 40-HR year in him in the next couple of years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power? : ok, crunching the numbers, over the long haul, carbrera is the only one who has better numbers, and thats without any ballpark adjustments.  i am basing my 'arguably the best' arguement on not just numbers, but also, subjective analysis of swing and lack of weaknesses and cunning.  I put Adrian right there with any of those guys.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]well, how I could argue with cunning? As a Yankee fan; I would love to have him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DEBeardsr. Show DEBeardsr's posts

Gonzalez is about as worthless as teats on a boar hog. Take a look at his stats since coming to Boston.He has done nothing to help the team.How many game winning RBI's does he have? How many walk off winning hits does he have? The only thing he does is pad his own stats. He is not worth the money. I would prefer Prince or Tex. What another damn wasted contract. P.S. he strikes out and hits into double plays about as much as any one else. He is definetely a rally killer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power? : well, how I could argue with cunning? As a Yankee fan; I would love to have him.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

... plus he is a better first baseman than Tex ... 

Surprised

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Remember he started out like Wade Boggs last year too, but then kicked it in big time in May. I think he may do the same, only this year there won't be the shoulder fatigue that slowed down his power in the second half. 35 HR or more still a strong possibilty. Does anyone think Pujols will keep hitting like he is? Same with Adrian, only, at least Adrian is getting the little hits that Pujols isn't even getting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]Quit complaining! He's got more power than Pujols
    Posted by MikeNagy stilleatsworms[/QUOTE]

Pujols went 105 At-Bats in 2011 to begin the year with out a homer, and still hit 37 on the year. Gonzo when hes got his stroke has just as much power as pujols does. One of the posters mentioned that it could be the weather in april and may, Look out though cuz when it gets hot so will adrians Power swing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power? : ... plus he is a better first baseman than Tex ... 
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE] You might pushing it there. gold gloves are not always the best gauge - Tex is very very good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power? : You might pushing it there. gold gloves are not always the best gauge - Tex is very very good.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

I know Pri.  I just wanted to push your buttons.  Tex is a fantastic first baseman.  Great hands and, certainly better laterally getting to balls than Gonzalez.  But I think Gonzalez's might have superior hands and is better picking throws in the dirt.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from flatlive. Show flatlive's posts

I'll take 116 rbis.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What happened to Adrian Gonzalez's power? : I know Pri.  I just wanted to push your buttons.  Tex is a fantastic first baseman.  Great hands and, certainly better laterally getting to balls than Gonzalez.  But I think Gonzalez's might have superior hands and is better picking throws in the dirt.  
    I guess the emoticon should have been a giveaway.Surprised

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

He's not batting 3rd and really has no one to protect him in the line-up at clean-up. I would put Pedey back to the 2 spot and put Sweeney down to 7 or 8.