Re: What happens to guys like Veritek?
posted at 12/14/2011 11:47 PM EST
...There were no player problems last year. It was all nonsense made up by the media....
It makes it easier for those who really believed the Sox were good enough to win it all in 2011, to explain why it happened.
Blaming it on injuries is whining.
Blaming it on rich spoiled players is so much more palatable.
To try and blame VTek for not getting in some players faces (that is many assume he never did) is ludicrous.
1) Does anyone really think that if Beckett or Lester or whoever was reallysupposedly slacking off, that Jason (or Tito) getting in their mug would magically "turn them around"?
2) Hasn't many a great leader been applauded for "leading by example" and not by screaming and threatening people?
3) Has any current Sox player put more blood, sweat, and tears into this team than VTek? The guy worked tirelessly to prepare for every game, to make the pitcher's life easier, and to put the opps in their place when needed (ARod).
4) I seriously doubt that VTek did anything different in the clubhouse this year than he did in 2004 and 2007, and yet he was made the captain and praised then while being "kicked to the curb" now.
5) Just as we did not lose in 1986 because of Bill Buckner, in no way can 2011 be blamed on VTek anymore than other players. As a back-up catcher, he caught more innings than all but 3 MLB back-up catchers, and hit better than nearly half of all starting MLB catchers (by OPS).
VTek should be remembered fondly. I for one have no regrets that he was on our team this year.