What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

  1. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    Best case scenario - Iggy is motivated by the Drew signing, gets his act in gear and is starting SS for the Sox by June (hitting .240+).  X gets to AAA and continues to stripe the ball, gets a Sept trip to the majors and has an immediate impact ala Ells in '07.  WMB moves across to 1B to replace Napster who is wearing down from a long season (playing too much to try to reach incentives), X plays 3B in the pennant race, Pedey is extended and the IF of the future is in place.  Realistic?  I think so.

     
  2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to phxvlsoxfan's comment:

    Best case scenario - Iggy is motivated by the Drew signing, gets his act in gear and is starting SS for the Sox by June (hitting .240+).  X gets to AAA and continues to stripe the ball, gets a Sept trip to the majors and has an immediate impact ala Ells in '07.  WMB moves across to 1B to replace Napster who is wearing down from a long season (playing too much to try to reach incentives), X plays 3B in the pennant race, Pedey is extended and the IF of the future is in place.  Realistic?  I think so.




    Its not realistic to move WMB over to a position hes never played before in the middle of the season...

     
  3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to southpaw777's comment:

    In response to phxvlsoxfan's comment:

     

    Best case scenario - Iggy is motivated by the Drew signing, gets his act in gear and is starting SS for the Sox by June (hitting .240+).  X gets to AAA and continues to stripe the ball, gets a Sept trip to the majors and has an immediate impact ala Ells in '07.  WMB moves across to 1B to replace Napster who is wearing down from a long season (playing too much to try to reach incentives), X plays 3B in the pennant race, Pedey is extended and the IF of the future is in place.  Realistic?  I think so.




    Its not realistic to move WMB over to a position hes neverplayed before in the middle of the season...

     




    It has been done before - Boggs and Dave Stapleton immediately come to mind.  Moving from 3B to 1B shouldn't be that difficult.

     
  4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to phxvlsoxfan's comment:

    In response to southpaw777's comment:

     

    In response to phxvlsoxfan's comment:

     

    Best case scenario - Iggy is motivated by the Drew signing, gets his act in gear and is starting SS for the Sox by June (hitting .240+).  X gets to AAA and continues to stripe the ball, gets a Sept trip to the majors and has an immediate impact ala Ells in '07.  WMB moves across to 1B to replace Napster who is wearing down from a long season (playing too much to try to reach incentives), X plays 3B in the pennant race, Pedey is extended and the IF of the future is in place.  Realistic?  I think so.




    Its not realistic to move WMB over to a position hes neverplayed before in the middle of the season...

     

     




     

    It has been done before - Boggs and Dave Stapleton immediately come to mind.  Moving from 3B to 1B shouldn't be that difficult.




    I dont think it will be a difficult transition, but my point was that I doubt they do it right in the middle of the season. Especially when WMB has never worn a 1b glove before and needs to learn the position a bit first.

     
  5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to phxvlsoxfan's comment:

     

    In response to southpaw777's comment:

     

    In response to phxvlsoxfan's comment:

     

    Best case scenario - Iggy is motivated by the Drew signing, gets his act in gear and is starting SS for the Sox by June (hitting .240+).  X gets to AAA and continues to stripe the ball, gets a Sept trip to the majors and has an immediate impact ala Ells in '07.  WMB moves across to 1B to replace Napster who is wearing down from a long season (playing too much to try to reach incentives), X plays 3B in the pennant race, Pedey is extended and the IF of the future is in place.  Realistic?  I think so.




    Its not realistic to move WMB over to a position hes neverplayed before in the middle of the season...

     

     




     

    It has been done before - Boggs and Dave Stapleton immediately come to mind.  Moving from 3B to 1B shouldn't be that difficult.

     

     

    I think the most likely scenario is that Napoli is our 1B in 2013 september and Middlebrooks is our 3B.  

    First of all:  Boegarts has no AAA at-bats and only a handful of AA at-bats.  If napoli breaks down, I think we are most likely to see a trade.

    Middlebrooks (right now) is a below average hitter for a first baseman, and would have to a) show an improvement with his pitch recognition and b) shorten his swing before a move to 1B should be considered.

    Remember, he was falling back down to Earth when the wrist injury occured.

    That being said, Middy showed a ton of raw power last year and an ability to adjust.  He seems like a real coachable kid who will continue to get better.  However, you never know.  If the Middlebrooks we see in 2013 is the Middlebrooks we saw in 2012 or worse (the sophmore slump is a real thing)  , he may not yet have the stick to be a 1B at the MLB level.

    If he continues to improve at the rate he has, he can certainly be an MLB 1B.  However, this is never a definite.

     

     
  6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    i think it would make sense to move boegarts to 3B if he is called up to AAA (or should i say when). middlebrooks is decent defensively but would be better suited for 1B, by moving boegarts to third and middlebrooks to first we solve the 1B problem and make room for iggy. 

     
  7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to moonslav59's comment:

    They should move Boggy to 3B or 1B. End of logjam at SS in AAA. Hurries up the inevitable as well.




     

    Logjam = Drew

     
  8. This post has been removed.

     
  9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    I'm fine with keeping Boggy on the farm to maximize his control years that are during his prime, but when he is ready to play MLB, he should be comfortable at his new position by then. 

    I can see it now, moments before he is ready for the bigs, they realize he's not a SS and hurry him to learn a new spot.

     
  10. This post has been removed.

     
  11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to Softlaw1's comment:

    I can see it now, Bogaerts comes in and has flat feet and poor lateral agility. However, management goes on for a year or two before finally punting and moving Bogaerts to the A. Soriano memorial position in LF.




    Looks like you've found your new target for hatred after Ellsbury leaves.

     
  12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to carnie's comment:

    In response to Softlaw1's comment:

     

    I can see it now, Bogaerts comes in and has flat feet and poor lateral agility. However, management goes on for a year or two before finally punting and moving Bogaerts to the A. Soriano memorial position in LF.

     




    Looks like you've found your new target for hatred after Ellsbury leaves.

     




    Obviously he hasnt seen Bogy play...

     
  13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to seannybboi's comment:

    With Drew staying in town for a year, Iggy is slotted to start in the minors once again and likely open the 2013 season with the Pawtucket Red Sox manning the SS position.  And let's not forget that we have another highly touted prospect on the rise who happens to have the same position as Iggy right at this moment and considered as #1 prospect of this organization who will most likely start the season with AA team.  Bogaerts was so good last season that he had to split time between Salem and Portland and he will likely do the same this year but in the higher levels this season.  If Bogaerts continues where he was left off last season (92 ABs/ 5 HRs/ 17 RBIs/ .326 AVG/ .598 SLG/ .948 OPS), he will get promoted early in the season. If that's the case, is he going be challenged to play different position at Pawtucket or is Iggy going to sit?



    Does it matter? If Bogaerts is producing and Iglesias is not, Bogaerts starts. Keep in mind they will need a SS for 2014.

     
  14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to carnie's comment:

    In response to Softlaw1's comment:

     

    I can see it now, Bogaerts comes in and has flat feet and poor lateral agility. However, management goes on for a year or two before finally punting and moving Bogaerts to the A. Soriano memorial position in LF.

     




    Looks like you've found your new target for hatred after Ellsbury leaves.

     



    Hate is a word hijacked by the Liberal left. Softy only despises half our players: he "hates" no  one.

     
  15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to ADG's comment:

    In response to seannybboi's comment:

     

    With Drew staying in town for a year, Iggy is slotted to start in the minors once again and likely open the 2013 season with the Pawtucket Red Sox manning the SS position.  And let's not forget that we have another highly touted prospect on the rise who happens to have the same position as Iggy right at this moment and considered as #1 prospect of this organization who will most likely start the season with AA team.  Bogaerts was so good last season that he had to split time between Salem and Portland and he will likely do the same this year but in the higher levels this season.  If Bogaerts continues where he was left off last season (92 ABs/ 5 HRs/ 17 RBIs/ .326 AVG/ .598 SLG/ .948 OPS), he will get promoted early in the season. If that's the case, is he going be challenged to play different position at Pawtucket or is Iggy going to sit?

     



    Does it matter? If Bogaerts is producing and Iglesias is not, Bogaerts starts. Keep in mind they will need a SS for 2014.

     



    It doesn't matter to you that he might not be asble to field like a ML SS by 2014?

     
  16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to moonslav59's comment:

    In response to ADG's comment:

     

    In response to seannybboi's comment:

     

    With Drew staying in town for a year, Iggy is slotted to start in the minors once again and likely open the 2013 season with the Pawtucket Red Sox manning the SS position.  And let's not forget that we have another highly touted prospect on the rise who happens to have the same position as Iggy right at this moment and considered as #1 prospect of this organization who will most likely start the season with AA team.  Bogaerts was so good last season that he had to split time between Salem and Portland and he will likely do the same this year but in the higher levels this season.  If Bogaerts continues where he was left off last season (92 ABs/ 5 HRs/ 17 RBIs/ .326 AVG/ .598 SLG/ .948 OPS), he will get promoted early in the season. If that's the case, is he going be challenged to play different position at Pawtucket or is Iggy going to sit?

     



    Does it matter? If Bogaerts is producing and Iglesias is not, Bogaerts starts. Keep in mind they will need a SS for 2014.

     

     



    It doesn't matter to you that he might not be asble to field like a ML SS by 2014?

     




    can't be a worse fielder than some of the guys we've had out there since nomar left...

     
  17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to Beantowne's comment:

    So his accent to the big leagues likely is still at least two years away 2015 or 2016 when he'll be 22 or 23...level.




    2016 at age 23? Really? He put up a 948 OPS in AA in 2012 at 19. But its another 4 years to go?

    Bogaerts is not some ordinary Joe prospect. I think he is the best prospect we have had in decades. Maybe since Clemens. My expectation is that he comes up in September and depending on how he plays, likely comes up permanently in May 2014, for the purpose of team control as you said. Anything longer would be disapointing.

     

    As for the original post, I can see half a dozen different scenerios where Bogaerts gets promoted above AA and only plays SS. Lots and lots of different ways to do that. My best  guess would be Bogaerts plays SS and Iggy moves to 2nd base and Holt moves to 3rd base. Holt and Iggy could use some versatility experience even more then Bogaerts. However, it also could be that they play Bogaerts at another position aswell. Certainly not something to be concerned about now or to make a change now though. When the time comes you deal with it.

     

    As for Bogaerts playing 3rd base NOW, we might get to see that in the WBC. He will be playing  for Netherlands with Profar and Simmons. Will be interesting to see what their team does with him.

     
  18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    He doesn't necessarily need to spend time in AAA.  Pujols had 15 AAA ABs and -0- AA ABs.  MCab had -0- AAA ABs.  Trout had -0- prior to his 1st promotion.  Teixeira -0-.  My guess is that the RS will spend 3 months evaluating WMB, XB's fielding, and Iglesias' hitting before planning for 2014.

     
  19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to BMav's comment:

    In response to Beantowne's comment:

     

    So his accent to the big leagues likely is still at least two years away 2015 or 2016 when he'll be 22 or 23...level.

     




    2016 at age 23? Really? He put up a 948 OPS in AA in 2012 at 19. But its another 4 years to go?

     

    Bogaerts is not some ordinary Joe prospect. I think he is the best prospect we have had in decades. Maybe since Clemens. My expectation is that he comes up in September and depending on how he plays, likely comes up permanently in May 2014, for the purpose of team control as you said. Anything longer would be disapointing.

     

    As for the original post, I can see half a dozen different scenerios where Bogaerts gets promoted above AA and only plays SS. Lots and lots of different ways to do that. My best  guess would be Bogaerts plays SS and Iggy moves to 2nd base and Holt moves to 3rd base. Holt and Iggy could use some versatility experience even more then Bogaerts. However, it also could be that they play Bogaerts at another position aswell. Certainly not something to be concerned about now or to make a change now though. When the time comes you deal with it.

     

    As for Bogaerts playing 3rd base NOW, we might get to see that in the WBC. He will be playing  for Netherlands with Profar and Simmons. Will be interesting to see what their team does with him.



    BMav,

    I get tht the kid can hit....AA is a long ways from the big leagues...As I stated in my post the only way they promote him next year is if they feel he's got nothing left to prove and is ready both physically and more importantly mentally to play in the big leagues...Jesus Montero tore up AA and has now spent the better part of two seasons struggling to hit Majar league pitching and not unlike Bogharts, has yet to prove tht he can ply any position at the big league level. The bottom line is tht he is just 20 years old and questions about where he'll play. there little reason to rush him. If I were a betting man I'd place the odds of him making the jump to the big leagues before September of 2014 as 10%...I would place the odds @ about 90% that he'll be given the chance to make the team coming out of camp in 2015....his arbitration clock will be a factor it won't be a deterrent. 

     
  20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to Joebreidey's comment:

    He doesn't necessarily need to spend time in AAA.  Pujols had 15 AAA ABs and -0- AA ABs.  MCab had -0- AAA ABs.  Trout had -0- prior to his 1st promotion.  Teixeira -0-.  My guess is that the RS will spend 3 months evaluating WMB, XB's fielding, and Iglesias' hitting before planning for 2014.




    This was one of the many possibilities. Say Drew gets injured in the early-middle of the season and Bogaerts is doing very well in AA and Iggy is still stuggling with the bat.....boom, Bogaerts is the Red Sox SS.

     

    The red sox have pushed Bogaerts forward like a lot of those guys were. They were special. He might be too.

     
  21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to Beantowne's comment:

    AA is a long ways from the big leagues...As I stated in my post the only way they promote him next year is if they feel he's got nothing left to prove and is ready both physically and more importantly mentally to play in the big leagues... If I were a betting man I'd place the odds of him making the jump to the big leagues before September of 2014 as 10%...I would place the odds @ about 90% that he'll be given the chance to make the team coming out of camp in 2015....his arbitration clock will be a factor it won't be a deterrent. 



    Double a is very close to the big leagues. Here is the ladder and how fast Bogaerts has climbed it.....

     

    Majors-----2016????

    AAA

    AA-------2012

    A+

    A--------2011

    High Rookie

    Low rookie

    DSL-----2010

     

    Bogaerts has taken 5 steps up the ladder in just 2 seasons. The idea it will take him 3-4 years to make the last 2 steps would be   really bad. The fact the red Sox have pushed him so quickly is an indicator they think he is emotionally, mentally, and physically ready. The fact Bogaerts has performed at every level indicates he is ready for more.

    There is very little difference between bringing him up in May 2014 and April, 2015 from a money control stand point.

     

    My percentages when Bogaerts comes up for good.....

    Starts the 2013 season in majors-----3%

    May 2013-----5%

    June-August------25%

    Start of 2014-----5%

    May 2014--------30%

    June-August-----15%

    Start of 2015----2%

    May 2015------5%

    June-August---5%

    2016 or later---5%

    I think its likely 5-1 Bogaerts is in the majors for good by August 2014. Thats my opinion anyway.

     

     
  22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to Strangeglove's comment:

    This is what will happen... He packs his suitcase. Says goodbye to his friends in Portland. Hops a bus, Peter Pan, Greyhound or Other. (That's the big question - WHICH ONE???)

    Then, he walks into the Pawtucket Clubhouse, and says "Hello, you can call me...X."

    Of course, other things happen too. Gets a sandwich, goes to the bathroom, etc...That is what happens when he is moved up.

    Any more questions? - You're welcome.



    This was the type of thing I was thinking when I read the OP.  My initial thought was "He will be playing at AAA.  He will also have a PawSox uniform on."

     
  23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    The WBC will be an interesting experience for him.  He will be bumped to a different position and face some quality pitching (depending on the matchups, etc).  Some avenues for his future with the Sox may begin with this event.

     

     

     
  24. This post has been removed.

     
  25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

    Re: What happens when Bogaerts gets promotion to AAA?

    In response to BMav's comment:

    In response to Beantowne's comment:

     

    AA is a long ways from the big leagues...As I stated in my post the only way they promote him next year is if they feel he's got nothing left to prove and is ready both physically and more importantly mentally to play in the big leagues... If I were a betting man I'd place the odds of him making the jump to the big leagues before September of 2014 as 10%...I would place the odds @ about 90% that he'll be given the chance to make the team coming out of camp in 2015....his arbitration clock will be a factor it won't be a deterrent. 

     



    Double a is very close to the big leagues. Here is the ladder and how fast Bogaerts has climbed it.....

     

     

    Majors-----2016????

    AAA

    AA-------2012

    A+

    A--------2011

    High Rookie

    Low rookie

    DSL-----2010

     

    Bogaerts has taken 5 steps up the ladder in just 2 seasons. The idea it will take him 3-4 years to make the last 2 steps would be   really bad. The fact the red Sox have pushed him so quickly is an indicator they think he is emotionally, mentally, and physically ready. The fact Bogaerts has performed at every level indicates he is ready for more.

    There is very little difference between bringing him up in May 2014 and April, 2015 from a money control stand point.

     

    My percentages when Bogaerts comes up for good.....

    Starts the 2013 season in majors-----3%

    May 2013-----5%

    June-August------25%

    Start of 2014-----5%

    May 2014--------30%

    June-August-----15%

    Start of 2015----2%

    May 2015------5%

    June-August---5%

    2016 or later---5%

    I think its likely 5-1 Bogaerts is in the majors for good by August 2014. Thats my opinion anyway.

     



    Great post, Bmav...this kid has a terrific head on his shoulders and his work ethic is as good as it gets.  He's clearly on the fast track and his bat speed is exceptional.  He'll have his hiccups and some scouts don't think he's "smooth" enough, but the Sox organization is really hoping he's the next face of the franchise.  I see his name in trade proposals on this board and laugh because he is as untouchable as it gets.  Chad Finn is a little optimistic to think he's going to play a role on this team this year, but nothing he does will surprise me.  It's awesome to see those guys participate in that rookie program right now.  I agree with Farrell when he says, "Developing team chemistry is crucial in this era."

     

Share