What is Stephen Drew's WAR?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

What is Stephen Drew's WAR?

It's 1.2.

We wouldn't lose anything if Brock Holt played in his place or even Xander Bogaerts. Find someone who would take him (we'd pay his salary) and get rid of him.

Oft injured and I'd rather have Holt. He can do the little things that he did when he was here.

Speaking of Holt, if the Red Sox were so adamant about having Snyder on the team because of this righty bat, then play him against lefties.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: What is Stephen Drew's WAR?

IDK a 1.2 War is better than a -.1 war

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i still cant figure out how he got a $9.5MM contract?!?!  oh yeah....bora$$

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

1.2 in a down year offensively. Brock Holt isnt as good defensively or offensively and with Iggy hitting .200 for the month of July with a sub .500OPS, Id take Drew over Holt because I know he will go on a tear at some point and give you solid defense.

The question you need answered is who has a big need for a SS that is contending this year and what would you get in return? My guess is not enough to warrant the trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

Yes in MLB today....9.5 is a LOT of money, especially for one year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

If I'm the sox I demand that Boras clients be paid for performance only! You want a loser sign a Boras client to a big contract and then flush! Fool me once shame on me,fool me twice I'm just stupid! Hello Red Sox I've got another Drew, Tim he's been out of baseball for awhile but hey what did you expect, he's a Drew they are always injured....

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

It's 1.2.

We wouldn't lose anything if Brock Holt played in his place or even Xander Bogaerts. Find someone who would take him (we'd pay his salary) and get rid of him.

Oft injured and I'd rather have Holt. He can do the little things that he did when he was here.

Speaking of Holt, if the Red Sox were so adamant about having Snyder on the team because of this righty bat, then play him against lefties.

Drew has had a few big hits and has played solid defense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

FanGraphs has him at 1.3 WAR which translates to $6.6 million of value, which puts him on pace to earn the $9.5 million.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

FanGraphs has him at 1.3 WAR which translates to $6.6 million of value, which puts him on pace to earn the $9.5 million.

ADG will never let facts get in the way of a good "whine."  Just let him go.  Lackey just gave up a two-run shot in the first, so he'll be calling for his release tomorrow...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

ADG will never let facts get in the way of a good "whine."  Just let him go.  Lackey just gave up a two-run shot in the first, so he'll be calling for his release tomorrow...

[/QUOTE]

LMAO! that's a good one

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

It is August, he is still in his Spring Training. Give it a bit longer, get off his back!

No matter what side of the debate you're on I think most of us assume Drew won't be here in august.......at least I hope so.....dear god I hope so. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

His war?

Against drugs? Abuse of women?

Wait, I know!!!!

Against poverty!

-Daf.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

It is August, he is still in his Spring Training. Give it a bit longer, get off his back!

No matter what side of the debate you're on I think most of us assume Drew won't be here in august.......at least I hope so.....dear god I hope so. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't know, Hugh...The Sox may go with the "law of averages" with Drew.  His body of work says he's not a ".220 hitter," so do they go with him for a little longer, hoping he goes on a tear? His defense is solid enough to justify seeing if he gets hot.

I don't think anyone, including the Sox Organization, has a clue who will be on the left side of the infield on September 1st, whether it's Drew, Iglesias, Boegarts, Middlebrooks, or even a guy like Michael Young.  I'm not going to bother trying to guess, but I'll bet anybody that the Sox won't trade Middlebrooks, Igleasias, Boegarts or Cecchini...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know, Hugh...The Sox may go with the "law of averages" with Drew.  His body of work says he's not a ".220 hitter," so do they go with him for a little longer, hoping he goes on a tear? His defense is solid enough to justify seeing if he gets hot.

I don't think anyone, including the Sox Organization, has a clue who will be on the left side of the infield on September 1st, whether it's Drew, Iglesias, Boegarts, Middlebrooks, or even a guy like Michael Young.  I'm not going to bother trying to guess, but I'll bet anybody that the Sox won't trade Middlebrooks, Igleasias, Boegarts or Cecchini...

[/QUOTE]

I think they have a soft plan....as in they don't know who will be on the left side of the infield but they have an idea of what they would like it to look like.  I think they hope either Xander Bogaerts or Jose Iglesias will be able to man SS by years end with Xander Bogaerts or Will Middlebrooks at 3B.  Of course Drew and Snyder are still in the picture but at least ONE of those guys is going to be the odd man out at some point. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

1.2 in a down year offensively. Brock Holt isnt as good defensively or offensively and with Iggy hitting .200 for the month of July with a sub .500OPS, Id take Drew over Holt because I know he will go on a tear at some point and give you solid defense.

The question you need answered is who has a big need for a SS that is contending this year and what would you get in return? My guess is not enough to warrant the trade.

Split the difference on the remainder of Drew's salary--call it cash considerations or a PTBNL. The Cardinals would be a good destination. The Yankees would be a good destination.

This will give us a chance to start planning for next season. Put WMB at third and have Bogaerts and Iggy compete for SS.

The Sox will have no chance to compete unless they consider bringing WMB and Bogaerts up to Boston. Load up as much as possible offensively and bench guys that aren't hitting,  that means Iggy and Drew and when he's in there against a lefty-definitely Salty and against a righty Napoli.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Split the differce on the remainder of Drew's salary--call it cash considerations or a PTBNL. The Cardinals would be a good destination. The Yankees would be a good destination.

This will give us a chance to start planning for next season. Put WMB at third and have Bogaerts and Iggy compete for SS.

The Sox will have no chance to compete unless they consider bringing WMB and Bogaerts up to Boston. Load up as much as possible offensively and bench guys that aren't hitting,  that means Iggy and Drew and when he's in there against a lefty-definitely Salty and against a righty Napoli.

[/QUOTE]

you do know that rosters expand in september right? and they aren't going to bring up Bogy until they secure the extra year. There is a roster spot open for WMB even with Drew on the team. Why trade him? he's better than snyder and Holt and is a good defender. The offense will come around. Besides, BC already said he's not taking away from the active roster.

As for middlebrooks. They want him to be ready when they bring him back up. Don't have time to do the dance again and send him back down to AAA to work on things. Leave him in AAA until it's clear he's got it together then bring him up. he could prove to be invaluable going forward.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Boggy is doing nasty in AAA

Cecchini is doing nasty in AA

Almost that time to make room for these to in the parent club

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

And where is the "parent club" going to play Garrin Cecchini

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

[QUOTE]

And where is the "parent club" going to play Garrin Cecchini

[/QUOTE]

LF seems to be his future. They can hide his bad defense there while Boggy is at 3rd, Iggy at SS, Peddy at second, and Middy is at first.

Bam your infield for the next 5 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I actually like Cecchini in the outfield but you likely won't see him every day until 2015, maybe next year.  Bogaerts is all but penciled in as a starter next year, I happen to think he may contribute this year.  Middlebrooks may very well end up trade bait I really like him but he needs a team who is going to take their lumps with him while he adjusts and with the offensive bar set so high at first base.....I just can't see the Sox handing him over the keys.  Not saying that infield can't happen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Drew will be the starting shortstop, barring injury, as long as he's here.  Regardless of whether there's someone better.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

It's 1.2.

Is 1.2 not pretty good after only 64% or so of the season?  Doesn't that extrapolate to around 2 or so?  Isn't WAR considered to be worth around $5m/win?  Dear dog in Hell, the guy is earning his wage.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I love fans who defend a guy batting .225 with a 33% strike out rate. I love it. He's bringing lots of production to the bottom of the order.