What is Stephen Drew's WAR?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: What is Stephen Drew's WAR?

In response to ADG's comment:

It's 1.2.

We wouldn't lose anything if Brock Holt played in his place or even Xander Bogaerts. Find someone who would take him (we'd pay his salary) and get rid of him.

Oft injured and I'd rather have Holt. He can do the little things that he did when he was here.

Speaking of Holt, if the Red Sox were so adamant about having Snyder on the team because of this righty bat, then play him against lefties.

B I N G O   !!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I love fans who defend a guy batting .225 with a 33% strike out rate. I love it. He's bringing lots of production to the bottom of the order. 

Iggy has batted .350+ all season but posters and media sight his recent slump.... Drew has batted .220 all year long but they say he will get hot. lol.  Drew is clearly better just because.

I think the entire team has been batting under .220 the last ten games but the media still has been pointing out that Iggy is now struggling. As if he somehow he should be better, not equal, but better than the rest of the team in the batters box.

-Claps- +1

This post here just poops on everyone bashing Iggy. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I love fans who defend a guy batting .225 with a 33% strike out rate. I love it. He's bringing lots of production to the bottom of the order. 

People aren't defending him because his numbers are good, but because they're better than you're suggesting.

You used his WAR against him but it was pointed out that his WAR isn't bad.

His batting average stinks, but his OPS is still a little above average for a shortstop.

As for 'production at the bottom of the order', he's got 32 RBI in 71 games, which is about 73 for 162 games, which is obviously pretty good for a shortstop hitting at the bottom of the order.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

People aren't defending him because his numbers are good, but because they're better than you're suggesting.

His batting average stinks, but his OPS is still a little above average for a shortstop.

As for 'production at the bottom of the order', he's got 32 RBI in 71 games, which is about 73 for 162 games, which is obviously pretty good for a shortstop hitting at the bottom of the order.

look neither Iggy or Drew are 3B with power....we dont need two slap hitters on the left side...Iggy is a far better hitter and fielder at this point and Drew is gone after this year.....move Midd/Bogarts at 3B NOW

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's funny that the phrase "ADG never lets facts get in the way of a good whine" is used more on these boards than the term "GO RED SOX!".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

look neither Iggy or Drew are 3B with power....we dont need two slap hitters on the left side...Iggy is a far better hitter and fielder at this point and Drew is gone after this year.....move Midd/Bogarts at 3B NOW

Now I'm gonna surprise you geo, because I agree with this.  The time has come.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

Now I'm gonna surprise you geo, because I agree with this.  The time has come.

[/QUOTE]

Common sense HF...they can platoon Iggy/Drew for all I care since they are both good defensivily but we need some POP at the plate and an ARM in the rotation...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Iggy has batted .350+ all season but posters and media sight his recent slump.... Drew has batted .220 all year long but they say he will get hot. lol. To them Drew is clearly better just because.

I think the entire team has been batting under .220 the last ten games but the media still has been pointing out that Iggy is now struggling. As if somehow he should be better, not equal, but better than the rest of the team in the batters box.

stop making sense Burrito

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Iggy has batted .350+ all season but posters and media sight his recent slump.... Drew has batted .220 all year long but they say he will get hot. lol. To them Drew is clearly better just because.

I think the entire team has been batting under .220 the last ten games but the media still has been pointing out that Iggy is now struggling. As if somehow he should be better, not equal, but better than the rest of the team in the batters box.

Bit both Drew and Iglesias are playing.

If the Soxmoved Drew, they would likely turn back to Middlebrooks.   Last year, in 75 games, Middlebrooks had a 1.9 WAR.   This year, through 53 games, he has a -0.7 WAR.  So even last year's Middlebrooks is barely an upgrade, and this year's Middlebrooks is not the same as last year's.

Holt has a future as a career utility infielder.  He is not the answer, unless the question is "Who is the Sox best internal option to handle the utility infielder role?"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

All I can say is that if decent defense , a .223 batting avg. , .696 OPS, 5 HRs, 3 steals and a strikeout a game computes to a 1.2 WAR and earns a salary of 9.5 million , then there is a serious flaw in the FanGraphs WAR system.  If this guy is not overpaid, then no one is.  He is the epitome of mediocrity.

Stabbed by Foulke.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

All I can say is that if decent defense , a .223 batting avg. , .696 OPS, 5 HRs, 3 steals and a strikeout a game computes to a 1.2 WAR and earns a salary of 9.5 million , then there is a serious flaw in the FanGraphs WAR system.  If this guy is not overpaid, then no one is.  He is the epitome of mediocrity.

Stabbed by Foulke.

The FanGraphs formula is fine.  Baseball Prospectus does a different calculation and their WAR number for Drew is virtually the same as FanGraphs.

It's true that Drew is mediocre, maybe a shade above mediocre for a shortstop.  The thing is that many mediocre players who have reached free agency status are making as much as Drew or more.  The really outrageous examples are guys like B J Upton getting 5 years for 15 million a pop.  Now that was crazy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

WAR 

<Flush>

As always - 100% correct!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

WAR 

<Flush>

As always - 100% correct!

You can blame ADG this time LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

1.2 in a down year offensively. Brock Holt isnt as good defensively or offensively and with Iggy hitting .200 for the month of July with a sub .500OPS, Id take Drew over Holt because I know he will go on a tear at some point and give you solid defense.

The question you need answered is who has a big need for a SS that is contending this year and what would you get in return? My guess is not enough to warrant the trade.

Split the difference on the remainder of Drew's salary--call it cash considerations or a PTBNL. The Cardinals would be a good destination. The Yankees would be a good destination.

This will give us a chance to start planning for next season. Put WMB at third and have Bogaerts and Iggy compete for SS.

The Sox will have no chance to compete unless they consider bringing WMB and Bogaerts up to Boston. Load up as much as possible offensively and bench guys that aren't hitting,  that means Iggy and Drew and when he's in there against a lefty-definitely Salty and against a righty Napoli.

Your all over the place here. First you want Drew traded for nothing, then later you say to load up offensively and mention Drews name. We dont know what Middy or Bogey will bring. Iggy will not provide a lot of offense the rest of the way.

Im not opposed to giving Bogey a shot and maybe Middy if he can start producing better in AAA, but theres no way you give up an MLB SS in hopes that one of Middy or Bogey do well. Again, Ben stated that hes NOT going to take away from the MLB roster.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I thought Drew might come around but it's time to cut our loses with him. He truly adds nothing, I'd rather have Iggy back at his natural position and Holt, Middlebrooks or Snyder at 3rd.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

ADG, you raised the WAR issue, not me. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

WAR! What is it good for?

Absolutely nothing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Drew's WAR is going up tonight. Laughing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Drew's WAR is going up tonight. Laughing

That last play was worth $9.5 to me.

-Daf.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Extend Drew now! 10 year deal worth 100m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

3-4 2 HRs, 5 RBIs.

Hiw is it possible that any human being could be as wrong as often as ADG?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Well, i figured Drew would go on another tear like Ive been telling everyone. Hes certainly off to a good start. Guys like Drew, Salty and Naps are streaky hitters. Its just who they are. so now you know, and knowing is half the battle...