What is the difference in what Kraft said and Agon said?????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

What is the difference in what Kraft said and Agon said?????

What is the difference in Mr. Kraft's quote....."I know everyone is excited to see Kevin Faulk come back, and I think we’re positioned well, but you know, there’s acts of God that happen along the way in our game because of injuries, you can never truly predict what’s going to happen,..."

For which there has been no outcry by fans but Agon got hammered for his comment about the RS not winning not being part of god's plan?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: What is the difference in what Kraft said and Agon said?????

Nothing, really.  That is why I do not fault AGon for what he said.  He said how I felt, when it all came down.  It just wasn't their year. 

Fact is, the Sox could sit tight, resign Paps, Papi, Varitek, Wake, Miller, Scutaro, and any other player up for arbitration/FA, and probably win 96 games next season.  It depends on luck and circumstances (of health and schedule, in particular).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The difference is who is saying it. Kraft is not competing on the field, Agon is. Kraft does not directly impact the results of games, Agon does. Most fans want their athletes to be upset when they lose because they expect them to be very competitive. Agon came across as passive. No one doubts that Kraft doesn't do all he can to field a competitive team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The difference is Kraft is associated with, and is credited with bringing a dismal , embarrassing football franchise to life and Gonzalez is assosiated with a team that underachieved and will forever be remembered as a team that choked or the over used term, "collapsed."

Gonzalez simply believes that whatever happens, once it's happened is beyond our control. Being a deeply religious person , Adrian is entitled to his opinion and he believes the hand of God controls every facet of life on Earth and that we are powerless to change his plans.

Since none of us has ever met God or any omnipotent beings , we cannot prove Adrian's statement wrong anyway, so why the fuss?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Big difference - "acts of God" means "you never know what can happen".  Agon was saying that it wasn't in God's plans.  Kraft meant, "sh1t happens".  Agon was basically removing the responsibility of collapse from Players/Coaches/GM.

I can see saying, "it wasn't in God's plan" in the WS when the games were very, very close.  But the collapse, in my opinion, was caused by choices made by players.

It was AGon's choice not to jump on Lester/Beckett/Lackey for not staying in shape.  I'll grant that the players gave 100% in each game - but they didn't necessarily give 100% outside the game, and that's why they lost.

God had nothing to do with it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

try not to let any pro athlete define God or God's ways for you...they are just not that bright and probably have no more insight than you...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

A-Gon's statement is one of the most overblown of all the ridicoulously overblown aspects of this collapase drama.  The concept that "God's Plan" is the ultimate arbiter of events doesn't absolve anyone of responsibility for the course of events.  It is just a notion as old as time and spanning many mythologies and cultures, that there is a hand of fate that is the ultimate abriter of how s*&t goes down.  You know, destiny.  And the thing about it is that you can't know it beforehand.  So, you still have to do what you do.  But, it has been very common for human beings to look back at how things unfolded and say "I guess that was destiny".  It doesn't absolve responsibility.  In many mythologies, personal or societal , there is an intricate dance between Will and Destiny.  You have to actualize your own destiny, but, in most mythologies, the final arbiter is God or whatever.  So, Adrian looking back and saying it was not in God's plan just seemed, to me, to be acknowledging that God is at work in our destinies.  Which, if you believe in God, makes sense. *** 

In my mind, it is the same thing as when player's point to the sky after hitting home runs or say that they are "blessed" with their great skills and life.  This is saying it is God's Plan that they had success or are succesful.  Same thing.  No big deal.   Annoying.  but, no big deal.

I actually think it speaks to the nutso mindset of the Boston media and Sox fans that his words could even be misconstrued in the way they have been misconstrued.  You really have to WANT to lynch somebody if you can read his words and make the leap to "well, I don't care because it wasn't our destiny anyway".  Really?  You don't give this guy the benefit of the doubt?

Now, if he was being excoriated because it is annoying when athletes contsantly prosthelitize or thank The Man Upstairs, hey, I'm in.  But, this Gonzo statement is completely misconstrued and overblown.  No big deal.

*** For useful analysis on the matter of man vs. fate in control of action, see Star Wars, episodes 3-5:  Luke Skywalker.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

k

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

yup....eephus, you put it all in a pretty concise perspective.
    It is a nice piece of writing...you should be thinking about
    writing novels or magazine pieces. At first, I was p____d at
    Agon for his lack of "intensity" but reading your blog made
    me reconsider my annoyance/anger at Gonzalez !! Nice going !