What kind of 'fan' would blame this World Series run on Miguel Cabrera being injured?!?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

What kind of 'fan' would blame this World Series run on Miguel Cabrera being injured?!?

The Softfool that's who!

Our resident hateful racist board jester, back under the name 'redsoxandguitars' is BITTERLY dissapointed his 'team' won the Series and is back to trashing multple Sox players and coming up with ideas to create a cheaper less talented product for 2014. You keep on plugging away Softy. You were wrong about EVERYTHING this year! Disgusting and ignorant.

How many Sox teams could blame injuries for not winning the Series? Please add to my list people.

1946 - Ted Williams is HBP and his elbow blows up. The MVP with 83 XBH in 150 reg season games (Miggy 71 in 148) hits .250, getting 5 singles in 7 WS games. In 6 ALCS games Miggy hit .291 with a HR.

1967 - Tony C. a young all-star SS with 20 HR and an .860 OPS at the time suffers that horrible eye injury and is out of baseball 5 years later. Sox lose Series in 7. Could our Sox have won the Series this year w/o Xander?

1968 - Tony C. misses the entire season with previous injury and ace Jim Lonburg destroys his knee skiing. A guy who went 22-9 in 39 starts with 15 CG's in '67 alone, makes just 40 starts the next TWO seasons, going 13-21 with a 4.40 avg ERA instead of 3.16 and a total of 8 CG's.  

1975 - Jim Rice breaks his wrist and misses the ENTIRE postseason, one that featured ANOTHER series going 7. Think the Sox would have won if he hit .290 with a HR in that series like Miggy did in the ALCS?

1978 - When the Sox choked away the division in the painful Bucky Dent year, starting SS Burleson was on the DL the second half of the season and Yaz was playing hurt and a shell of himself, watching his avg fall from .294 to .277 in September alone.

2003 - How about Damon suffering a brutal collison/concusion in the ALDS after going 6-19 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI that series, our leadoff catalyst misses the first 2 games of the famous Pedro/Grady ALCS and musters just 2 singles, 1 2B and 1 RBI in 20 AB's upon his return. Nomar was also dealing with multiple nagging 'Cabrera-like' injuries and managed just 1 RBI vs. the Yanks.

2008 - The Sox lose an ALCS game 7 to the upstart Rays as Papi, Beckett, Dice-K, Lowrie and Lowell all deal with injuries that severly affect their ability to perform at expected levels.

I think it is safe to say the Sox at least have the '46 and '75 World Series if injury free.

Then a 50-50 chance at winning it all in '67, '78, '03 and '08. So two more titles there. I guess injuries robbed us of FOUR World Series over the years.

But the Softfool can mope and cry about poor Cabrera and how it was his injuries and not an incredibly talented Red Sox team, that allowed our club to end the year on top. Wait, weren't Pedroia, Shane, Ellsbury and Buchholz ALL playing through injuries????

What a fool! And definitely NOT a fan of the Red Sox.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: What kind of 'fan' would blame this World Series run on Miguel Cabrera being injured?!?

He is a fan of himself and very little else.  That is abundantly clear...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: What kind of 'fan' would blame this World Series run on Miguel Cabrera being injured?!?

Softbrain. No way hes a Red Sox fan, no way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He is a fan of himself and very little else.  That is abundantly clear...

[/QUOTE]

hahahahaha

How sad to only like your own ideas, especially when they were all awful and wrong.

Clearly the Red sox would have won the '46 and '75 World Series with Williams more limited than Miggy was and Rice out completely.

People talk about that all the time right?

Whoops!

Injuries happen... it is the WINNERS people remember. Like the 2013 Red Sox Softy hates!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I still love reading most of his posts, I will not apologize to anyone here for that! However I was disappointed he clung to his opinions on this team right up until we won it, and then even afterwards. How could you not enjoy what happened? 

For me it was after Peavey threw the complete game in LA that I said to myself "Man we could win this, and at the very least we are taking the division." Between that day and the conclusion of Game 3 of the WSC I didn't raise one issue with the team or the manager, nor did I make a single negative post on the team. 

When Game 3 WSC ended I finally broke down and questioned some things as I got alarmed and panicked. 

It is in my nature to be negative but sometimes you just gotta be happy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I still love reading most of his posts, I will not apologize to anyone here for that! However I was disappointed he clung to his opinions on this team right up until we won it, and then even afterwards. How could you not enjoy what happened? 

For me it was after Peavey threw the complete game in LA that I said to myself "Man we could win this, and at the very least we are taking the division." Between that day and the conclusion of Game 3 of the WSC I didn't raise one issue with the team or the manager, nor did I make a single negative post on the team. 

When Game 3 WSC ended I finally broke down and questioned some things as I got alarmed and panicked. 

It is in my nature to be negative but sometimes you just gotta be happy.

[/QUOTE]

I DEMAND an apology!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not gahn dah!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not gahn dah!

[/QUOTE]

Are you okay?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Not gahn dah!

[/QUOTE]

Are you okay?

[/QUOTE]

Is he speaking Klingon?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I Googled what moonslav59 said and got back this:

Did you mean: not ghanda

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Softfool that's who!

Our resident hateful racist board jester, back under the name 'redsoxandguitars' is BITTERLY dissapointed his 'team' won the Series and is back to trashing multple Sox players and coming up with ideas to create a cheaper less talented product for 2014. You keep on plugging away Softy. You were wrong about EVERYTHING this year! Disgusting and ignorant.

How many Sox teams could blame injuries for not winning the Series? Please add to my list people.

1946 - Ted Williams is HBP and his elbow blows up. The MVP with 83 XBH in 150 reg season games (Miggy 71 in 148) hits .250, getting 5 singles in 7 WS games. In 6 ALCS games Miggy hit .291 with a HR.

1967 - Tony C. a young all-star SS with 20 HR and an .860 OPS at the time suffers that horrible eye injury and is out of baseball 5 years later. Sox lose Series in 7. Could our Sox have won the Series this year w/o Xander?

1968 - Tony C. misses the entire season with previous injury and ace Jim Lonburg destroys his knee skiing. A guy who went 22-9 in 39 starts with 15 CG's in '67 alone, makes just 40 starts the next TWO seasons, going 13-21 with a 4.40 avg ERA instead of 3.16 and a total of 8 CG's.  

1975 - Jim Rice breaks his wrist and misses the ENTIRE postseason, one that featured ANOTHER series going 7. Think the Sox would have won if he hit .290 with a HR in that series like Miggy did in the ALCS?

1978 - When the Sox choked away the division in the painful Bucky Dent year, starting SS Burleson was on the DL the second half of the season and Yaz was playing hurt and a shell of himself, watching his avg fall from .294 to .277 in September alone.

2003 - How about Damon suffering a brutal collison/concusion in the ALDS after going 6-19 with 2 doubles and 3 RBI that series, our leadoff catalyst misses the first 2 games of the famous Pedro/Grady ALCS and musters just 2 singles, 1 2B and 1 RBI in 20 AB's upon his return. Nomar was also dealing with multiple nagging 'Cabrera-like' injuries and managed just 1 RBI vs. the Yanks.

2008 - The Sox lose an ALCS game 7 to the upstart Rays as Papi, Beckett, Dice-K, Lowrie and Lowell all deal with injuries that severly affect their ability to perform at expected levels.

I think it is safe to say the Sox at least have the '46 and '75 World Series if injury free.

Then a 50-50 chance at winning it all in '67, '78, '03 and '08. So two more titles there. I guess injuries robbed us of FOUR World Series over the years.

But the Softfool can mope and cry about poor Cabrera and how it was his injuries and not an incredibly talented Red Sox team, that allowed our club to end the year on top. Wait, weren't Pedroia, Shane, Ellsbury and Buchholz ALL playing through injuries????

What a fool! And definitely NOT a fan of the Red Sox.

[/QUOTE]

In 1978, Burleson was on the DL in July so that wasn't an issue, unless it was the reason he hit .240 in Aug.-Sept.

I didn't remember Yaz being hurt, but looking it up, he played just 19 games in August.  He had a weird last two months of the season. In August, he hit .299 but had just 1 HR and 7 RBIs. On the other hand, in Sept-Oct., he played 31 games and batted just .207. However, he did have 6 HRs and 19 RBIs, which is excellent run production for a month.

There were two other big injuries in 1978. Dwight Evans got  hit in the head some time in August as I recall and batted just .208 in Sept (26 games) then played in just 21 games in Sept.-Oct. and batted just6 .161 with 1 HR and 3 RBI. With Carbo having been traded, that was a key injury. Remember, Jim Rice played RF in the playoff game against the Yankees with Yaz in left and George Scott (who slumped badly) at 1B.

Had Evans been healthy and in RF, Yaz could have played 1B with Rice in LF.

The other key injury was Butch Hobson's elbow. He was brutal fielding, so Zimmer was left with putting him at 3B and getting decent production at the plate but having a 3B making 43 errors in 147 games, or putting Brohamer at 3B and getting good defnese but a .234/no power bat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

Don't forget Tom Seaver missed the 86 playoffs with an injury. He wasn't the old Tom Seaver obviously but I think he would have been a better option then Al Nipper.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't forget Tom Seaver missed the 86 playoffs with an injury. He wasn't the old Tom Seaver obviously but I think he would have been a better option then Al Nipper.

[/QUOTE]

How great would that have been? Seaver back at Shea for the big game, defeating his old team!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't think an old , end of career Tom Seaver stops the juggernaught that was the 1986 Mets.

The 86 Red Sox were somewhat of a Cinderella team. They stunned the Angels.

What was "stunning" about the World Series between the Red Sox and Mets was the "showdown" between the 2 best pitchers ( Clemens and Gooden) in MLB never emerged. What was really strange about that series is that many of the players who rose to the occasion weren't the ones you would expect...Marty Barrett, Bruce Hurst, Ron Darling, Ray Knight. Many of the superstars were unimpressive, except Gary Carter. Al Nipper at his age, was just as likely to throw a gem as Tom Seaver at what?...40 years old? Sorry, this was not the difference maker that Jim Rice could have been in 1975.

What was also "stunning" is that the Mets didn't sweep. The Red Sox can be proud of their showing. The Mets were a juggernaught , they were easily the best team in that year's postseason.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think an old , end of career Tom Seaver stops the juggernaught that was the 1986 Mets.

What was "stunning" about the World Series between the Red Sox and Mets was the "showdown" between the 2 best pitchers ( Clemens and Gooden) in MLB never emerged. What was really strange about that series is that many of the players who rose to the occasion weren't the ones you would expect...Marty Barrett, Bruce Hurst, Ron Darling, Ray Knight. Many of the superstars were unimpressive, except Gary Carter. Al Nipper at his age, was just as likely to throw a gem as Tom Seaver at what?...40 years old? Sorry, this was not the difference maker that Jim Rice could have been in 1975.

What was also "stunning" is that the Mets didn't sweep. The Red Sox can be proud of their showing. The Mets were a juggernaught , they were easily the best team in that year's postseason.

[/QUOTE]

You're right about Seaver's loss as not being as great as Rice's, but still, Seaver could have been the difference. Seaver's ERA in 16 starts with the Sox was 3.80. Nipper's ERA in 26 starts was 5.38. In his one W.S. start, Nipper went 6 IP, 3 ER. Not great, but not too bad. He left when it was 3-0. Maybe Seaver -- pumped at pitching against his old team -- matches Darling in those innings.

The Mets won 6-2 because Crawford gave up three runs in relief in the seventh. If Seaver was strong, who knows how the final innings would have gone. Met still might have won.

I agee with your assessment on how the series went and who stepped up and who didn't.

But I disagree with the Mets being far superior than the Sox. If you look at how the teams compare the talent they had going into the Series based on how the players did that season, it's close to an even match up:

Gedman-Carter: Edge Mets.
    Buckner-Hernandez: Even or slight edge to Mets (Even offensively, while 14 errors for Buckner, five for Hernandez).
    Barrett-Backman: Even.
    Boggs-Knight: Edge Red Sox.
    Rice-Foster/Wilson: Edge Red Sox.
    Armas/Henderson-Dykstra. Edge Even.
    Evans-Strawberry: Even or slight edge to Red Sox. (Evan of course was better defensively, Offensively, they were even: Evans had 26 HR, 97 RBI, 97 RBI , while Strawberry had 27 HR, 93 RBI, .259 BA. If I'm going to give the Mets a slight edge at 1B because offense was even and defense is the difference maker, then I'm doing the same for the Sox in RF.)

Baylor-Mets DHs:Edge Red Sox.

Pitching:
    Clemens-Gooden: Even.
    Hurst-Darling: Even.
    Boyd-Ojeda: Slight edge Mets.
    Nipper-Fernandez: Edge Mets.

Bullpen: Edge Mets.

So on paper, the big differnce was three and four starts and the bullpen. As for the lineup, the Red Sox lineup was at least equal and might have been better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Not gahn dah!

[/QUOTE]

Are you okay?

[/QUOTE]

Is he speaking Klingon?

[/QUOTE]

It's from the old Saturday Night Live skit with George Bush Sr.

"Not gonna do it.... wouldn't be prudent at this juncture... Not Gahn dah!"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

Guys, I agree with you about Softy, but I would suggest that you stop feeding the troll.

He loves to turn our annoyance at him into more troll material, so I say we just ignore him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're right about Seaver's loss as not being as great as Rice's, but still, Seaver could have been the difference. Seaver's ERA in 16 starts with the Sox was 3.80. Nipper's ERA in 26 starts was 5.38. In his one W.S. start, Nipper went 6 IP, 3 ER. Not great, but not too bad. He left when it was 3-0. Maybe Seaver -- pumped at pitching against his old team -- matches Darling in those innings.

The Mets won 6-2 because Crawford gave up three runs in relief in the seventh. If Seaver was strong, who knows how the final innings would have gone. Met still might have won.

I agee with your assessment on how the series went and who stepped up and who didn't.

But I disagree with the Mets being far superior than the Sox. If you look at how the teams compare the talent they had going into the Series based on how the players did that season, it's close to an even match up:

Buckner-Hernandez: Even or slight edge to Mets (Even offensively, while 14 errors for Buckner, five for Hernandez).
    Evans-Strawberry: Even or slight edge to Red Sox. (Evan of course was better defensively, Offensively, they were even: Evans had 26 HR, 97 RBI, 97 RBI , while Strawberry had 27 HR, 93 RBI, .259 BA. If I'm going to give the Mets a slight edge at 1B because offense was even and defense is the difference maker, then I'm doing the same for the Sox in RF.)

Pitching:

So on paper, the big differnce was three and four starts and the bullpen. As for the lineup, the Red Sox lineup was at least equal and might have been better.

[/QUOTE]

George Foster had already left the Mets by postseason 1986....his replacement a guy named Kevin Mitchell.

The Mets won the NL East by an astounding 21 1/2 games , with 108 wins.

By contrast, the 1986 Red Sox beat out NY Yankees by 5 1/2 games and won 95 games.

You are forgetting the "edge" at shortstop for NY, Rafael Santana was a slick fielder, Spike Owen....not so much, in fact barely MLB calibre.

The Red Sox bullpen "edge" you give to the Mets, was no slight one......Roger McDowell and Jesse Orosco were a shutdown tandem at the back end of the Mets bullpen...Calvin Schiraldi was no match for either of them.

On paper, you could make an argument that the Red Sox were "close" , but I watched alot of Regular Season games by both and the Mets were much more impresive, and the Red Sox should not hang their heads that they came as close as they did....just like 1975.... it was the way they lost that was a heartbreaker, for Red Sox fans and fans of the underdog.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pitching:

[/QUOTE]

George Foster had already left the Mets by postseason 1986....his replacement a guy named Kevin Mitchell.

The Mets won the NL East by an astounding 21 1/2 games , with 108 wins.

By contrast, the 1986 Red Sox beat out NY Yankees by 5 1/2 games and won 95 games.

You are forgetting the "edge" at shortstop for NY, Rafael Santana was a slick fielder, Spike Owen....not so much, in fact barely MLB calibre.

The Red Sox bullpen "edge" you give to the Mets, was no slight one......Roger McDowell and Jesse Orosco were a shutdown tandem at the back end of the Mets bullpen...Calvin Schiraldi was no match for either of them.

On paper, you could make an argument that the Red Sox were "close" , but I watched alot of Regular Season games by both and the Mets were much more impresive, and the Red Sox should not hang their heads that they came as close as they did....just like 1975.... it was the way they lost that was a heartbreaker, for Red Sox fans and fans of the underdog.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I forgot that Foster was gone, but Mookie Wilson played LF for most of the Series. Either way, Rice still had the advantage. Mitchell and Heap played DH in the Series.

Yeah -- forgot about SS. FWIW, Owen's fielding percentage was the same as Santana's and Owen hit .300 in W.S. Santana hit just .218 so to be honest. Santana might have been better defensively, but Owen wasn't bad. So to me, it's a push.

You're right about the bullpen. Especially Orosco, the pen was a big advantage for the Mets. I hated Orosco beause the Sox couldn't tough him.

As forthe rest, yeah, the Mets had a great team, but I think Red Sox team was underrated. Even though, I gave the Mets the edge at No. 3 startter over Boyd, in reality, the starters 1-3 were fairly close, and I still think the Sox lineup was better.

That the Mets won the NL East by so much could be as much about how bad the rest of the division was than anything else. The Phillies were in second place and while they had a decent lineup, their pitching scked.

So  yeah, the Mets had a great team and a great year, but they also benefited by a weak division.

By the way -- I love these discussions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In 1978, Burleson was on the DL in July so that wasn't an issue, unless it was the reason he hit .240 in Aug.-Sept.

I didn't remember Yaz being hurt, but looking it up, he played just 19 games in August.  He had a weird last two months of the season. In August, he hit .299 but had just 1 HR and 7 RBIs. On the other hand, in Sept-Oct., he played 31 games and batted just .207. However, he did have 6 HRs and 19 RBIs, which is excellent run production for a month.

There were two other big injuries in 1978. Dwight Evans got  hit in the head some time in August as I recall and batted just .208 in Sept (26 games) then played in just 21 games in Sept.-Oct. and batted just6 .161 with 1 HR and 3 RBI. With Carbo having been traded, that was a key injury. Remember, Jim Rice played RF in the playoff game against the Yankees with Yaz in left and George Scott (who slumped badly) at 1B.

Had Evans been healthy and in RF, Yaz could have played 1B with Rice in LF.

The other key injury was Butch Hobson's elbow. He was brutal fielding, so Zimmer was left with putting him at 3B and getting decent production at the plate but having a 3B making 43 errors in 147 games, or putting Brohamer at 3B and getting good defnese but a .234/no power bat.

GREAT POINTS

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The 1978 Red Sox could have easily absorbed the loss of Hobsons bat for better defense at third. It was the mash mash cement-shoe mentallity (defense and speed were an after-thought) that cost us at least one WSC in the 70's. The organization squandered the best farm crop they ever had, or ever will.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

The 1978 Red Sox could have easily absorbed the loss of Hobsons bat for better defense at third. It was the mash mash cement-shoe mentallity (defense and speed were an after-thought) that cost us at least one WSC in the 70's. The organization squandered the best farm crop they ever had, or ever will.

[/QUOTE]

Sox should have kept Dick O'Connell as GM and never have let Haywood Sullivan take over as GM. That's who squandered all that talent.

As for Hobson, you might be right, but in the last two months, there were issues with the offense -- Yaz not being 100 percent, Scott was terrible in September -- 1 HR, 7 RBI, .163 BA. Put him with Evans and that's two black holes in the lineup -- three when Hobson didn't play.

Sullivan's "handiwork" could be seen with that club as the Sox had no bench, especially after Carbo was traded. Here is what the Sox had on the bench:

Bob Bailey -- .191 BA
    Jack Brohamer -- .234 BA
    Frank Duffy -- .260 BA but 0 HR, 4 RBI in 117 PA.
    Garry Hancock -- .224
    Fred Kendall .195
    Sam Bowen -- .143 (just 8 PA).
    Bob Montgomery -- .241.

And here's one more reason why the Sox might not have been able to afford to not have Hobson's bat in the lineup. Fisk played 157 games and might have been wearing down a little in Sept. He batted just .243 in the last month with just 1 HR. He did have 15 RBIs, so he wasn't terrible. However his .656 OPS was his worst of the season for a month, although he very good in May.

On the other hand, Hobson's elbow did hurt him at the plate. He had just two home runs the last three months of the season, both coming in September. He wasn't very good in July -- 0 HR, 3 RBI, .180 BA. Despite no HRs, he was very good in August -- 12 2B, 17 RBI, .292 BA. Mixed in the final month 2 HR, 12 RBI, .234, which isn't very good but it was better than July and was better than Brohamer, whose BA for each of the last three months was .208, 227 and .148 in September. Not sure his defense made up for that hitting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I agree on O'Connell 1,000% !!!

I do not know how good Brohamer was with the glove... and hindsight being what it is... I think getting a real glove at the trade deadline might have been the best move. I was only 7 years old then and remember very little.

**** Nothing against George Scott but to trade Cooper for him was insane, and getting back Carbo who was only traded months earlier..... it made no sense!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

''I probably still would be sitting if I had stayed in Boston,'' Cooper said. ''I remember when they tried to make a deal for Joe Rudi and Rollie Fingers. If Rudi had come over, he would've played left field and Yaz would've moved to first. But the last three months of '76, I played regularly. Don Zimmer was the manager, and near the end of the season I went in and asked him if I was going to be a regular. He said you're my first baseman. That winter I was traded. I feel like I wasted a couple of years there.''  www.nytimes.com

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Not gahn dah!

[/QUOTE]

Are you okay?

[/QUOTE]

Is he speaking Klingon?

[/QUOTE]

It's from the old Saturday Night Live skit with George Bush Sr.

"Not gonna do it.... wouldn't be prudent at this juncture... Not Gahn dah!"

[/QUOTE]

I knew it. You've even said it before.