What should we expect from Andrew Miller?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

What should we expect from Andrew Miller?

We've all heard it before.  Former top prospect with seemingly unlimited untapped potential, never living up to the hype.  It seems as though that hype has mostly faded, but what should we realistically expect out of Miller.

He's been called up, not because of performance, but because his 30 day rehab assignment ended and a move needed to be made.  Typically, if I see a pitcher with a K/9 over 18, I want him pitching late innings, high leverage situations.  If I see a pitcher with more than 9 BB/9 I don't want them anywhere near an MLB roster.  In Andrew Miller's AAA numbers, we have both.  Miller has 23 K's in 11 AAA innings on his rehab assignment to go along with 14 BB's.  That's an 18.8 K/9 and an 11.5 BB/9.  He had an ERA of 5.73 in AAA while opponents were hitting just .105 against him.

The pitcher is a mystery wrapped within an enigma.  I don't expect him to be used in any high leverage situations in the early going, but what should we reasonably expect from him?  He's actually been good against lefties ("just" 3 BB's in 5 innings to go along with 13K's and a .063 opp avg), but we already have Hill as a LOOGY.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: What should we expect from Andrew Miller?

Another INJURY !!!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to What should we expect from Andrew Miller?:
    [QUOTE]We've all heard it before.  Former top prospect with seemingly unlimited untapped potential, never living up to the hype.  It seems as though that hype has mostly faded, but what should we realistically expect out of Miller. He's been called up, not because of performance, but because his 30 day rehab assignment ended and a move needed to be made.  Typically, if I see a pitcher with a K/9 over 18, I want him pitching late innings, high leverage situations.  If I see a pitcher with more than 9 BB/9 I don't want them anywhere near an MLB roster.  In Andrew Miller's AAA numbers, we have both.  Miller has 23 K's in 11 AAA innings on his rehab assignment to go along with 14 BB's.  That's an 18.8 K/9 and an 11.5 BB/9.  He had an ERA of 5.73 in AAA while opponents were hitting just .105 against him. The pitcher is a mystery wrapped within an enigma.  I don't expect him to be used in any high leverage situations in the early going, but what should we reasonably expect from him?  He's actually been good against lefties ("just" 3 BB's in 5 innings to go along with 13K's and a .063 opp avg), but we already have Hill as a LOOGY. Thoughts?
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

I think we know what to expect JB, some mind boggling terrific stuff mixed in with wildness.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: What should we expect from Andrew Miller?:
    [QUOTE]   Another INJURY !!!!!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

LOL, I wouldn't be surprised.  Especially if he's walking 10+ per 9 innings and we need to make room for Dice/Cook.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I expect he never pitches well for the Sox big club again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Millers problem has always been control.  In ST Bobby V said his control might be affected by using a windup, so maybe he will be OK in the bullpen. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Millers problem has always been control.  In ST Bobby V said his control might be affected by using a windup, so maybe he will be OK in the bullpen. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    His entire rehab assignment has been out of the pen and he's still walking 11.5 per 9 innings.  Maybe McClure can figure him out?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Expectations should be based on past performance. Expect Miller to show a live arm , but absolutely no command of his pitches.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Expectations should be based on past performance. Expect Miller to show a live arm , but absolutely no command of his pitches.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    The problem with that is that there isn't much of a sample of Miller as a reliever.

As a reliever: 8.65 K/9 and 8.65 BB/9 with a 1.92 WHIP and 6.55 ERA in just 34 1/3 innings.  So in short, not good at all, but about a half season of a sample.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Walks and inconsistency, another high upside guy signed by this management last year. Ony he was a Theo guy. Oh yeah Ben he should put us over the top this year. Cherrington is saying that when we get Youkillis, Matssusaka, Bailey, and Crawford back it is better that any trade we could make. Young Ben by that time the we will be so far back we will need a crane to get us out if the hole we dug.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

An ERA of about 15.00.