What to do at SS?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: What to do at SS?

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Middlebrooks has way more uspide than Drew and is far cheaper and of course younger...plus this allows XB to play SS - his natural position...

a no-brainner TKO decision...

[/QUOTE]

What if Middlebrooks never approaches his "upside"?  

[/QUOTE]

Right now, because he's so cheap and has plenty years under team control, you don't focus on that.  You focus on getting him to as close as his potential as possible; whatever that is.  Worst-case scenario, we'd have to call someone else up this year or make a mid season deal.  I wish they kept Beltre.  He'd upgrade the team substantially....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ben clearly sees  Boegarts as the SS. That was made clear with the trade for Peavy. 

Boegarts has done nothing to discourage the idea. He got some pressure situation starts at SS and did not look like a deer in the headlights in the field or at the plate.  It's been said before. IF he can play SS you maximize his value by playing him at SS. 
    I think Ben has decided he can do it. 

[/QUOTE]

For me, Bogaerts is not the question mark.  Rather, Middlebrooks being able to handle the full time job at 3B is.   It's probably a moot point because Drew will almost surely get a 3 or 4 year deal, but I think bringing back Drew for 1 or 2 years makes sense. 

I prefer the experience and veteran presense of Drew at SS with Bogaerts at 3B over having two young and relatively inexperienced players on the left side of the infield.  By the time Drew's short contract expires, Bogaerts will have more experience and hopefully Marrero or Cecchini will be ready to take over at SS or 3B, and Bogaerts can man the other position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Bogaerts should be given every opportunity to keep the shortstop job. But the mistake of trading Iglesias for Peavy will not go away any time soon. And , please don't tell me that Iglesias made two errors in the post season. So what.  And, please don't say that we don't win it without Peavy. That is simply not true. Let me add that Ben has made some really good moves. But trading Iglesias for Peavy was not one of them.  Now we have threads asking what to do at shortstop. 

And we would if Iggy was still here too.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ben clearly sees  Boegarts as the SS. That was made clear with the trade for Peavy. 

Boegarts has done nothing to discourage the idea. He got some pressure situation starts at SS and did not look like a deer in the headlights in the field or at the plate.  It's been said before. IF he can play SS you maximize his value by playing him at SS. 

[/QUOTE]

For me, Bogaerts is not the question mark.  Rather, Middlebrooks being able to handle the full time job at 3B is.   It's probably a moot point because Drew will almost surely get a 3 or 4 year deal, but I think bringing back Drew for 1 or 2 years makes sense. 

I prefer the experience and veteran presense of Drew at SS with Bogaerts at 3B over having two young and relatively inexperienced players on the left side of the infield.  By the time Drew's short contract expires, Bogaerts will have more experience and hopefully Marrero or Cecchini will be ready to take over at SS or 3B, and Bogaerts can man the other position.

[/QUOTE]

You dont move young players all around. they dont develop that way.  Xander will remain at SS for the forseeable future from what the organizations says. I doubt Drew comes back. Middy also should start at 3b. I got a feeling about him this year. call it a baseball hunch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How is Drew getting a 4 year deal whilst costing a team a first round pick?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Middy's biggest issue so far is streakiness, and it has been pretty extreme.  He's essentially had one succesful season if you stitch his two half seasons together.  I'd like to think the successes he's had will help to mitigate the down part.  

Youk was very steaky early in his career.  I remember him tailing badly at times. If he evens it out to be as good at Youk, he's a winner.  Even if he's only Hobson with a better arm he's okay.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Teams are more willing to lose a pick on a longer deal.  You don't want to give up a pick for a guy who is only going to be there for a year or two.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Really if the Sox add a utility infielder from the DBacks, I think Cliff Pennington is more likely than Gregorius.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mets...They have a need and dont lose their 1st rounder, even though Grandy signed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mets...They have a need and dont lose their 1st rounder, even though Grandy signed.

[/QUOTE]

Just landed, Southpaw...Message me if you can figure something out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Teams are more willing to lose a pick on a longer deal.  You don't want to give up a pick for a guy who is only going to be there for a year or two.  

[/QUOTE]

I am not sure.  I think if it were a shorter deal they'd have a better (and quicker) chance of getting the pick back....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If Drew Falters you waste millions of dollars and a top draft pick, if Middlebrooks falters you waste a few hundred thousand dollars and with his age would likely still retain some value.

Theres a reason why teams like St. louis and Boston have been two of the most successful franchises over the last 10 years.  Yes they spend the money, but they don't blow up the cap and value their draft picks as well.  Yankees are freaking out because they don't have a young talented prospect to take over 2nd base, or in the outfield.

Thats when you roll the dice, if JBj falters we are in the same position next year, but if ELLSBURY falls apart NY has to pay millions for years.  And has one less prospect in their system.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

You dont move young players all around. they dont develop that way.  Xander will remain at SS for the forseeable future from what the organizations says. I doubt Drew comes back. Middy also should start at 3b. I got a feeling about him this year. call it a baseball hunch.

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough point about moving players around. 

I doubt Drew comes back too, but more for contract reasons rather than for reasons as to how he fits for the team. 

Based on last year, I don't have a lot of confidence in Middlebrooks right now.  I hope you are right, and I hope that he comes into camp this year with that fire that he lost last year. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There's always the Yankees.   They have the money, and they don't seem to care about picks, of which they've already given up their first round and first supplemental.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There's always the Yankees.   They have the money, and they don't seem to care about picks, of which they've already given up their first round and first supplemental.

[/QUOTE]

Well, unless they go over the LT max and ARod is suspended and they don't care about adding pitching and they don't care about taking Jeter out of the SS position, then yes, the yankees would do a 4 year/60 million dollar deal and I would once again, thank God Cashman works for them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

Well, unless they go over the LT max and ARod is suspended and they don't care about adding pitching and they don't care about taking Jeter out of the SS position, then yes, the yankees would do a 4 year/60 million dollar deal and I would once again, thank God Cashman works for them.

[/QUOTE]

I think staying under the luxury tax went out the window the minute they signed McCann.  I am also pretty sure Arod will not be playing with the Yankees for a significant portion, if not the entire season, in 2014.  I am also pretty sure the Yankees will add pitching on way or another, most likely Tanaka, if he is posted.

I do agree with you about the potential nightmare of moving Jeter out of the SS position. 

As far as Cashman goes, I have always believed that he would prefer not to hand out these long term contracts, but that he often gets overruled.  I don't think he is the culprit.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

A-Rod might be gone for 2014, but in 2015 he is right back on the payroll with Ellsbury,  McCann, Beltran, Teixeira,  Sabathia, etc...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just landed, Southpaw...Message me if you can figure something out.

[/QUOTE]

Im going through Teresa at BDC to get your email. PM's arent working here. Imagine that. if you can email her too, we can get this done. hanafin@boston.com

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Really if the Sox add a utility infielder from the DBacks, I think Cliff Pennington is more likely than Gregorius.

[/QUOTE]

I think he would be a possibility too. Probably slightly better then Kawasaki and solidly better then Santiago, Barmes and McDonald. Although the DBacks would probably have to eat some salary. But of those 5 choices, he probably is the best fit.

But if Middlebrooks or Xander faltered do we have to trade for another guy or try to win a championship with Pennington? The options in AAA are non existent from last year and even the AA options have few at bats there.

Maybe I just want a very strong AAA SS.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're right about the development of young players. Xander probably should start the season as the Sox SS.

As for Middlebrooks, I don't share your "hunch". I hope you are right. He lacks adjustments to pitchers patterns and has slow reaction time at 3rd. He's young enough so with work and proper instructions he could be what they thought they had a year ago.

I haven't forgotten that Boggs was a below average defender and turned himself into a GG 3rd. baseman.

Including Middlebrooks in a trade wouldn't break my heart. That said the return would have been greater last winter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think staying under the luxury tax went out the window the minute they signed McCann.  I am also pretty sure Arod will not be playing with the Yankees for a significant portion, if not the entire season, in 2014.  I am also pretty sure the Yankees will add pitching on way or another, most likely Tanaka, if he is posted.

I do agree with you about the potential nightmare of moving Jeter out of the SS position. 

As far as Cashman goes, I have always believed that he would prefer not to hand out these long term contracts, but that he often gets overruled.  I don't think he is the culprit.

[/QUOTE]

I think he enjoys negotiating the 100+ mil $ deals and throwing his weight around and he's done nothing w/ his farm and his trades have been poor too. 

right now, I have them at about $5 mil under the LT assuming that ARod is suspended for 100 games.....if he's not suspended then the Beltran signing was a big mistake....

but he's got 5 mil for a closer, a #3 starter, a left handed reliever, and another infielder - what a joke!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Bogaerts should be given every opportunity to keep the shortstop job. But the mistake of trading Iglesias for Peavy will not go away any time soon. And , please don't tell me that Iglesias made two errors in the post season. So what.  And, please don't say that we don't win it without Peavy. That is simply not true. Let me add that Ben has made some really good moves. But trading Iglesias for Peavy was not one of them.  Now we have threads asking what to do at shortstop. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah well at least this thread had given you a chance to whine about the Iggy trade for the hundredth time....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Here is one way of looking at the Iggy/Peavy deal

It's true that Peavy did not make a imact at all

But here is the thing:

Getting Peavy moved Workman to the pen.  And Workman was brilliant for us in relief; especially in the playoffs.  I am not so sure we when w/o his efforts coming out of the pen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]

Here is one way of looking at the Iggy/Peavy deal

It's true that Peavy did not make a imact at all

But here is the thing:

Getting Peavy moved Workman to the pen.  And Workman was brilliant for us in relief; especially in the playoffs.  I am not so sure we when w/o his efforts coming out of the pen.

[/QUOTE]
    I'm not sure moving Workman to the pen was such a good idea.  I like my starters to be big, strong durable guys like Workman. 

Besides, the guy's name even sounds like someone who's going to give it all he's got and get you into the 8th inning!  :-)