What to do with Robinson Cano.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

What to do with Robinson Cano.....

The agent is the dreaded Scott Borax and of course the team is the equally dreaded New York Yankees. All the talk and expectations have it at the usual ten year deal with $200 million as a starting point. Cano is 30 years old this year (31 when his next contract begins) and without debate is the premier second baseman in all of MLB.

For me I think with the Yankee wallet I offer 5 years and top dollar (whatever that might be) which takes the relationship to Cano's 36th birthday. This is reasonable but we know reason does not matter in MLB or New York. 

It will be interesting to see if the Yankees have learned a lesson.

1548510-new-york-yankees-bombers-have-made-significant-offer-to-robinson-cano

Robinson Cano Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re: What to do with Robinson Cano.....

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

The agent is the dreaded Scott Borax and of course the team is the equally dreaded New York Yankees. All the talk and expectations have it at the usual ten year deal with $200 million as a starting point. Cano is 30 years old this year and without debate is the premier second baseman in all of MLB.

For me I think with the Yankee wallet I offer 5 years and top dollar (whatever that might be) which takes the relationship to Cano's 36th birthday. This is reasonable but we know reason does not matter in MLB or New York. 

If im the Yankees id do what ever it takes to hold onto cano. Not only is he one of the best second basemen in the league but hes homegrown as well which should count for something. Hes also been pretty durable througout his career.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

All true but why pay him top dollar when he is 36,37,38, and 39 years old? I like the idea of paying top dollar for 4-5 years for someone like this. He will be an entirely different player in 6 years and not worth the money he is now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

All true but why pay him top dollar when he is 36,37,38, and 39 years old? I like the idea of paying top dollar for 4-5 years for someone like this. He will be an entirely different player in 6 years and not worth the money he is now.

very true. but some team will be willing to pay him top dollar for 6, 7, 8 years if the yankees are not. 2B is generally one of the weaker offensive positions and he is easily the best offensive 2Bman.. that warrants a huge payday. He might bite on 5 years if the yankees buff his annual salary but at some point being "protected" financially throughout his twilight years may be more appealing than a heftier payday on the short term. With Borass, you can bet he is going to make bank either way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I read a quote from Cano months back where he said he wasn't going to give the Yankees a discount this time, that he wanted a 10 year deal.

I see Dodger blue if he sticks to his ten year demand.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

I read a quote from Cano months back where he said he wasn't going to give the Yankees a discount this time, that he wanted a 10 year deal.

I see Dodger blue if he sticks to his ten year demand.

or the Nationals.

i don't think the Nats are that dumb.. let's face it. these 10 year deals are CRAZY risky, unless your giving them to a guy at age 25 your flushing 20million+ down the drain for at least 2 years (and that's if your lucky). Is Cano going to be productive at 36, 37, 38 years old? probably. but is he going to be worth 20million+ at those ages? i think it's safe to say NO..

the longest i would ever go (unless your locking up a young stud) when signing a guy is 7 years.. any longer than that and you might as well just burn that money and get it over with. In Canos case i would try to go 5 years @ 22-24Mil per with an option for a 6th and 7th but if that doesn't fly i would stretch to 7 for 20-22Mil per.
    I would give a similar offer to Pedroia also

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

With all due respect to Pedroia, Cano is the best 2nd baseman.  So the Yankees must keep him.

If I was the GM, I'd offer a 7-year, $175 million deal and see what Cano and Boras has to say. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If Cashman is smart, he does not go over 6, but 5 should be the goal.

So... who capitulates?  I think if the Yankees do not make the post-season, they are the ones rushing to meet Boras' demands.   If they do, they might be amenable to letting him walk if he wants too much for too long...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Cano isnt worth 20M per...Maybe 16-18, but no way 20M...Thats insane.

Now, Im not saying he wont get it, just that he shouldnt.

Pedey is probably around 14-16M IMO.

I think he'll get a 7-8 year deal around 20M per and possibly a NTC.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

very true. but some team will be willing to pay him top dollar for 6, 7, 8 years if the yankees are not. 2B is generally one of the weaker offensive positions and he is easily the best offensive 2Bman.. that warrants a huge payday. He might bite on 5 years if the yankees buff his annual salary but at some point being "protected" financially throughout his twilight years may be more appealing than a heftier payday on the short term. With Borass, you can bet he is going to make bank either way.

If the Yankees and Red Sox aren't willing who would be? Maybe the Dodgers I guess. And Boras doesn't always make bank. Witness Kyle Lohse this year. Jared Weaver actually signed a pretty team friendly deal last year. And you do know of course, that Scott Boras also represents big numbah 2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to notin's comment:

If Cashman is smart, he does not go over 6, but 5 should be the goal.

So... who capitulates?  I think if the Yankees do not make the post-season, they are the ones rushing to meet Boras' demands.   If they do, they might be amenable to letting him walk if he wants too much for too long...

I agree.

I read Cano wants 10 years 250 mil., that was a few months back.

Yankees might stretch to offer him 7 years to try to keep him.

Would love to know what they offered him yesterday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I love the way people throw around millions of dollars like it was chicken feed.

As far as I'm concerned, the financial structure of baseball is ruining the game to its core.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

I love the way people throw around millions of dollars like it was chicken feed.

As far as I'm concerned, the financial structure of baseball is ruining the game to its core.

Like how many million does one man need?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

just my two coppers, but given Bora's MO...it'll become more likely that the season will begin without a deal...Yanks should just move forward and concentrate on the bigger issues, a lot could change before November...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

How is the financial structure of baseball ruining the game to its core? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Bob Nightengale ?@BNightengale
    The #Dodgers believe they can build dynasty, and with money no problem, Robinson Cano fits in perfectly. http://usat.ly/YaoULS

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Better question .... You tell us how financial structure is not ruining the game.My view is pay pay pay so we can say how player sucks and management is stupid..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Are you implying that you don't think the salary of some baseball players is outrageous? 

I think ticket prices are too expensive for many people and that the player salaries contribute to this.

I'm a lucky one.  The Mrs. and myself fly around half the summer seeing the Sox play.  Could the average American family afford to do this? I doubt it.

Incidentally, I'm pro capitalism, but I feel ridiculous player salaries and ticket prices tarnish the game itself.  You're free to disagree, but changing my mind will be a lesson in futility.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Like how many million does one man need?

Hey neighbor.  Good to see you again!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Hello ampoule  :)

I am not trying to change your mind because I respect your opinion. 

I agree with you--the player's salaries are outrageous.  But so are other professions such as a movie star like Tom Cruise or an entertainer like Oprah.  Isn't Oprah a billionaire?  I am happy with my six-figure annual income.  If I wanted to make a seven or eight-figure annual income, I would have tried to be a professional baseball player but my fastball clocks at only 25 to 30 mph.  LOL 

I also agree with you that ticket prices are too high for the average American family.  Like yourself, I am also lucky to go see a Red Sox game.  I do not mind paying extra from a nearby BU or BC student who wants to make extra cash (a lot of them sell their tickets on craigslist)LOL

My point is this, it is not just baseball where the financial structure is unfair.  It exists in every sector-private, public, government, and even academic.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

The agent is the dreaded Scott Borax and of course the team is the equally dreaded New York Yankees. All the talk and expectations have it at the usual ten year deal with $200 million as a starting point. Cano is 30 years old this year (31 when his next contract begins) and without debate is the premier second baseman in all of MLB.

What do  we ( The Sox) do about Robbie Cano? Lock up Pedroia before Cano gets his monster contract

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

If I were the GM for the Yankees, I would offer Cano four years and 120 million, with a team option for a fifth year and a 1M buyout and a player opt out of the team option.

This makes Cano the highest paid player in MLB history, per season.

The Yankees massively overpay for his labor at age 31, 32, 33 and 34, (his best cluster of seasons is already behind him)  but do not pay a worthless roster asset for years beyond that.

If he demands more guaranteed money, spend it elsewhere if another big market teams makes the mistake.

not a bad idea.. i would've done the same thing with Hamilton

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

If I were the GM for the Yankees, I would offer Cano four years and 120 million, with a team option for a fifth year and a 1M buyout and a player opt out of the team option.

This makes Cano the highest paid player in MLB history, per season.

The Yankees massively overpay for his labor at age 31, 32, 33 and 34, (his best cluster of seasons is already behind him)  but do not pay a worthless roster asset for years beyond that.

If he demands more guaranteed money, spend it elsewhere if another big market teams makes the mistake.

Damn softlaw2, I like your idea a lot!   :)