What would your 2014 bacup plan be?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

What would your 2014 backup plan be?

First off sorry backup (not) bacup plan before someone jumps all over me

Lets start with Bogy, Bogy will be a star at some point and secure either the SS, or in my opinion possibly the 3B position.  The only question is where and whether he stays clear of major injuries that could slow his process.  I don't see Bogy playing the solid defense in his rookie year that Drew gave us but between he and Merrero they show give us some decent offense.

JBJ is another kid with a lot of talent who should gradually become a good hitter with speed and solid defense.  The proble here is help in CF which at the moment lies on Victorino which is great if he can stay off the DL.  After Victorino we have nobody capable in CF or who can replace Shane (long term) if he spends a lot of time on the DL.  Carp is a horrible defender anywhere he plays and neither Nava or Gomes could  man the corners on an every day basis.  This leaves us with Brentz who I don't think will be any better than a platoon player.  Hassan at the moment I feel is the only kid on the farm who could play against all pitching at some point but with less power.  As far astrading fora backup?  I have read reports where the Sox don't feel they can carry another OF at this point which tells me they will keep Dempster around as long as possible.

Then comes Middy who has had more major league experience than either Bogy or JBJ but has yet to show he can patiently or effectively handle major league pitching other than an occasional power spurt.  If Middy does have a solid year there is a good chance he could finally become our every day 1B or remain at 3B.  Checchini is right behind him but as I said before Garin has a lot better plate discipline but doesn't play 3B well.  In my opinion the Sox should give Garin time at 1B next season to see how he does if he continues to struggle at 3B.

I think Middy's play and finding JBJ help are keys to any success we may have next season so here are a few of my suggestions before , or if things don't work out as planned.

... Dump Dempster ASAP to free up cash, replace him with Workman and get a solid back up in CF before the season begins?

... Give Hassan a good look in ST and if he plays well dump Carp?

... Pick up another CF/back up OF to help out

... Maybe try to swing a short term trade for a guy like Hanley who becomes a FA in 2015 and move Bogy to 3B?

... Trade for or a long term, 20mil a year guy like Tulo to solidify the SS position through 2020 while moving Bogy to 3B?  We do have plenty of talent to satisfy the Rockies need without offering them a SS if they were willing to move Tulo.  They have high hopes for the 21 year old SS Rosell Herrera in a couple of years and also have Josh Rutledge who can play 2B and SS. 

... Hope Checcini's defense strengthens at 3B, or at the very least give Garin some playing time at 1B next season in the minors to see how he fairs.

... Trade for another good young young 3B or SS prospect?

... Trade for another short term vet to play 3B?

What our your suggestions everyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: What would your 2014 bacup plan be?

The Sox have looked somewhat at this with Chris Denorfia and by keeping communication open with Stephen Drew.  The connection with Drew is obvious, but only slightly likely.

I get the interest in Denorfia.  And apparently the Sox are thinking “backup CF/RF who can hit LHP,” which makes sense.  Two other names that also make sense include Justin Maxwell and John Mayberry Jr.   Of the 3, Maxwell is far and away the best option, as he not only hits LHP very well but is a very good defensive OF.  Really, both Mayberry and Denorfia are better suited to playing the corners than CF. 

I think the Sox can go get pretty much anyone they want for this role, but for the sake of not overcomplicating things, I am going to assume they deal from their redundancy and move Mike Carp.  Carp is not a starter and is out of options, and plays corner OF/1B, two positions the Sox have well covered on the 25-man roster alone, with Nava, Gomes, Napoli, and Victorino all secure with roster spots and roles.  And while both Carp and Nava are considered corner OF, neither is a defensive whiz capable of playing RF and allowing Victorino to move to CF.  That hs ie dirt cheap, has control left and is coming off a career year also helps.  AS for Mayberry, he isn't very good all around, and not worth Carp in a deal.  On top of that, Philly needs more left-handed hitters like they need a small pox outbreak.  He shall not be discussed again.

The problem with Carp is the same – he is a LHH 1B/OF, and not exactly high on the priority list of the teams who control Maxwell and, Denorfia.  There are teams that could use Carp.  If he is viewed as a DH option, those teams include Baltimore, Tampa, Oakland, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Houston, Miami, and Pittsburgh. RHH CF candidates from these teams include Darin Mastrionani, Gorkys Hernandez, Robbie Grossman (switch hitter), and Jose Tabata. 

First off, I would eliminate Mastrionanni and Hernandez as options.  Neither are worth giving up Carp for, and really, are not any better than the available minor league FA pool of CF talent.  The two intriguing names are Robbie Grossman and Jose Tabata.

Grossman figures to be harder to acquire.  He has nearly 6 years of control left, makes no money, and figures to hold CF until George Springer is ready (re: passes the Super Two date).

That leaves Carp for Tabata.  Is it worth it?

Pittsburgh would make this deal no question.  Their current 1B situation appears to be a platoon of Chris McGuinness and Gaby Hernandez, fairly weak for a team that made the post-season last year.  They are loaded in the OF, with Starling Marte, Andrew McCuthchen, Andrew Labo, Jaff Dacker, Travis Snider, and top prospect Gregor Polanco all looking for time along with Tabata.  And Tabata makes $11.75mill over the next 3 years, with expensive options to follow.

Tabata is not a perfect fit for Boston.  He can hit LHP, but does not exactly excel against them.  And he plays a weak CF and RF.  And his track record as a hitter is spotty at best, although his 2013 was fairly productinve, and a huge improvement over his poor 2012.

However, Tabata is also a former elite prospect who was among the fastest risers in the Yankee farm system.  For all his experience, he is still only a month older than Will Middlebrooks.  Heck, he is only 4 months older than Bryce Brentz, who has yet to master AAA ball or the fine art of cleaning a rifle.  There is no denying that Tabata has talent.  And while his past is limited, there is a chance he even develops into a productive corner OF as a starter in the near future, especially if he actually develops some power, which he certainly looks like he will be capable of.

A UAPM of Tabata projects him to be a .268 / .330 / .383 hitter, which is harly dazzling, but I think he is young enough and has the ability and potential to improve.

Is Tabata even a gamble?  If the cost is only Carp, I don’t think so.  This is not an aging role player, but a potential (albeit not likely) starting corner OF for the future who can be had for a role player. 

I say, take the chance, Ben.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-No problem moving Dempster

2-No chance we dump Carp for Hassan.  We need a backup 1B.  Hassan has 12 games at1B.

3-Another OF won't fit the roster.  JBJ 1st and Vic 2nd.  If we could sign Posednik to a minor league contract, that might be helpful.

4-LA wouldn't trade Hanley, and even if they did, why pay prospects & money instead of signing Drew for one year?

5-Tulo has been consistently injured over the past 6 years, and his stats are artificially increased by Mile High.

6-You seem to want to acquire left-side infielders when it is our one area of excess.  We have Bogaerts, WMB, Cecchini, and Marrero over the next couple of years.  Maybe Betts also if they think he could handle 3B.  3B and SS are the last positions I'b looking for.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about the kids struggling.  Almost all rookies struggle to some degree.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox have looked somewhat at this with Chris Denorfia and by keeping communication open with Stephen Drew.  The connection with Drew is obvious, but only slightly likely.

I get the interest in Denorfia.  And apparently the Sox are thinking “backup CF/RF who can hit LHP,” which makes sense.  Two other names that also make sense include Justin Maxwell and John Mayberry Jr.   Of the 3, Maxwell is far and away the best option, as he not only hits LHP very well but is a very good defensive OF.  Really, both Mayberry and Denorfia are better suited to playing the corners than CF. 

I think the Sox can go get pretty much anyone they want for this role, but for the sake of not overcomplicating things, I am going to assume they deal from their redundancy and move Mike Carp.  Carp is not a starter and is out of options, and plays corner OF/1B, two positions the Sox have well covered on the 25-man roster alone, with Nava, Gomes, Napoli, and Victorino all secure with roster spots and roles.  And while both Carp and Nava are considered corner OF, neither is a defensive whiz capable of playing RF and allowing Victorino to move to CF.  That hs ie dirt cheap, has control left and is coming off a career year also helps.  AS for Mayberry, he isn't very good all around, and not worth Carp in a deal.  On top of that, Philly needs more left-handed hitters like they need a small pox outbreak.  He shall not be discussed again.

The problem with Carp is the same – he is a LHH 1B/OF, and not exactly high on the priority list of the teams who control Maxwell and, Denorfia.  There are teams that could use Carp.  If he is viewed as a DH option, those teams include Baltimore, Tampa, Oakland, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Houston, Miami, and Pittsburgh. RHH CF candidates from these teams include Darin Mastrionani, Gorkys Hernandez, Robbie Grossman (switch hitter), and Jose Tabata. 

First off, I would eliminate Mastrionanni and Hernandez as options.  Neither are worth giving up Carp for, and really, are not any better than the available minor league FA pool of CF talent.  The two intriguing names are Robbie Grossman and Jose Tabata.

Grossman figures to be harder to acquire.  He has nearly 6 years of control left, makes no money, and figures to hold CF until George Springer is ready (re: passes the Super Two date).

Pittsburgh would make this deal no question.  Their current 1B situation appears to be a platoon of Chris McGuinness and Gaby Hernandez, fairly weak for a team that made the post-season last year.  They are loaded in the OF, with Starling Marte, Andrew McCuthchen, Andrew Labo, Jaff Dacker, Travis Snider, and top prospect Gregor Polanco all looking for time along with Tabata.  And Tabata makes $11.75mill over the next 3 years, with expensive options to follow.

Tabata is not a perfect fit for Boston.  He can hit LHP, but does not exactly excel against them.  And he plays a weak CF and RF.  And his track record as a hitter is spotty at best, although his 2013 was fairly productinve, and a huge improvement over his poor 2012.

However, Tabata is also a former elite prospect who was among the fastest risers in the Yankee farm system.  For all his experience, he is still only a month older than Will Middlebrooks.  Heck, he is only 4 months older than Bryce Brentz, who has yet to master AAA ball or the fine art of cleaning a rifle.  There is no denying that Tabata has talent.  And while his past is limited, there is a chance he even develops into a productive corner OF as a starter in the near future, especially if he actually develops some power, which he certainly looks like he will be capable of.

A UAPM of Tabata projects him to be a .268 / .330 / .383 hitter, which is harly dazzling, but I think he is young enough and has the ability and potential to improve.

Is Tabata even a gamble?  If the cost is only Carp, I don’t think so.  This is not an aging role player, but a potential (albeit not likely) starting corner OF for the future who can be had for a role player. 

[/QUOTE]

Tabata's age makes him interesting notin and the fact he plays good defense at the corner OF slots.  The problem with Tabata is his splits and he can't play CF very well if needed.  His strength offensively is against RHP like Carp.  I'm also wondering if any team would really want Carp for anything other than what we use him for. 

I think Nava could backup 1B as well or better than Carp.  We should probably look at an OF who could play CF pretty well and not just the corners.  As far as Drew, I think he always wanted to come back but  blew his best paycheck like Tek.  All he can do now it bite the bullet, admit he was wrong and take what we offer, I'm not sure he will do that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1-No problem moving Dempster

2-No chance we dump Carp for Hassan.  We need a backup 1B.  Hassan has 12 games at1B.  I think Nava is a better 1B than Carp Joe don't you?  Maybe even Papi :)

3-Another OF won't fit the roster.  JBJ 1st and Vic 2nd.  If we could sign Posednik to a minor league contract, that might be helpful.  I have always loved Posednick as a back up

4-LA wouldn't trade Hanley, and even if they did, why pay prospects & money instead of signing Drew for one year?  Drew has some real soul searching before crawling back to Boston like Tek at a discount but I agree.

5-Tulo has been consistently injured over the past 6 years, and his stats are artificially increased by Mile High.  Inflated stats and injuries I agree but Fenway would probably be very favorable to him. 

6-You seem to want to acquire left-side infielders when it is our one area of excess.  We have Bogaerts, WMB, Cecchini, and Marrero over the next couple of years.  Maybe Betts also if they think he could handle 3B.  3B and SS are the last positions I'b looking for.  I don't see the depth you do here Joe.  Checchini has rock hands at 3B and the others have little or no experience there besides Middy, So Bogy may still be the best we have at 3B.  SS may be a different story but could Marrerro play a decent SS if Bogy needed to man 3B?  Who knows and I really don't think Holt, Snyder, Diaz and others are all that great as back ups.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about the kids struggling.  Almost all rookies struggle to some degree.  I have been the one poster all along saying this and completely expect it.  The question is if it hurts the team how far do we go with the experiment?  I would do two years tops before making changes and only next season with Middy if he struggles again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Tabata's age makes him interesting notin and the fact he plays good defense at the corner OF slots.  The problem with Tabata is his splits and he can't play CF very well if needed.  His strength offensively is against RHP like Carp.  I'm also wondering if any team would really want Carp for anything other than what we use him for. 

I think Nava could backup 1B as well or better than Carp.  We should probably look at an OF who could play CF pretty well and not just the corners.  As far as Drew, I think he always wanted to come back but  blew his best paycheck like Tek.  All he can do now it bite the bullet, admit he was wrong and take what we offer, I'm not sure he will do that.

[/QUOTE]

Tabata is not much for CF, but he is certainly better at it than Carp would be.  Better in the corners as well.

Pitt DEFINITELY makes htat deal for financial reasons alone.  And they are the only post-season team from last year where he is a clear and obvious upgrade.

His age gives him potential, but the downside to Tabata is his contract is a bit more than most teams prefer to gamble on potential with...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

His age gives him potential, but the downside to Tabata is his contract is a bit more than most teams prefer to gamble on potential with...

[/QUOTE]

I certainly like Tabata over Carp especially if Shane can stay off the DL and help the kid in CF.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I am going to assume they deal from their redundancy and move Mike Carp.

The only way to consider Carp a redundency is to think of 1B as a position anyone can play.  Nava has 8 career starts at 1B.  His ability to start 20+ games at 1B, and to take away ABs from Gomes in LF, makes him almost indispensable to us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

The only way to consider Carp a redundency is to think of 1B as a position anyone can play.  Nava has 8 career starts at 1B.  His ability to start 20+ games at 1B, and to take away ABs from Gomes in LF, makes him almost indispensable to us.

Thats why I would have loved M. Young at the right price and to dump Dempster regardless.  Young plays better defense and more positions so when you think of a player for only 20 plus games at 1B, 3B, 2B or even DH if Papi goes down Young makes a player like Carp even more expendable. 

Good thing Carp is so cheap and hits righties pretty well but you get what you pay for.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, the alternative appears to be thinking RF is a position anyone can play.  Carp can play 1B acceptable, but not RF and reall,y not even LF.  He is not a good outfielder.

And 1B does appear to be aposition almost anyone can play.  Most 1B started at another psotion but weremoved to 1B because they could hit but not field.   Most ofthe chances at 1B are balls intended to be caught (re: throws), making it a little easier than any other position

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

2-No chance we dump Carp for Hassan.  We need a backup 1B.  Hassan has 12 games at1B.  I think Nava is a better 1B than Carp Joe don't you?  Maybe even Papi :)

Nava has almost a fulltime position in the OF.  He should play LF against righties, and the occasional game in RF against tough lefties when JBJ sits and Vic plays CF.  If Naps goes down for 2 weeks, you lose your flexibility in the OF.

8 games is not enough to judge Nava at 1B, but FG is not kind to him.  Papi could play 1st, but then you would need Carp to DH.

Kind of interesting that some think that Carp would make a good starter for other teams, but not even a backup for us.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

Thats why I would have loved M. Young at the right price and to dump Dempster regardless.  Young plays better defense and more positions so when you think of a player for only 20 plus games at 1B, 3B, 2B or even DH if Papi goes down Young makes a player like Carp even more expendable. 

Good thing Carp is so cheap and hits righties pretty well but you get what you pay for.

[/QUOTE]

Young's defense is quite poor at most of those positions, except maybe 1B and DH.  He is not a good option at 2B or 3B, more of a warm body with experience...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

Nava has almost a fulltime position in the OF.  He should play LF against righties, and the occasional game in RF against tough lefties when JBJ sits and Vic plays CF.  If Naps goes down for 2 weeks, you lose your flexibility in the OF.

8 games is not enough to judge Nava at 1B, but FG is not kind to him.  Papi could play 1st, but then you would need Carp to DH.

Kind of interesting that some think that Carp would make a good starter for other teams, but not even a backup for us.

[/QUOTE]

I personally don't see any team allowing Carp to play every day after seeing what he brings to the table defensively Joe.  I also don't really feel having a guy who hits righties but makes us a liability defensively is necessarily worth keeping ethier.  There have to be better options out there even if we pay a few dollars more.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I think Carp would be starting on several teams, and listed them above.  To me, the most obvious fit is Pittsburgh, who is slated to use a Chris McGuiness / Gaby Sanchez platoon at first as it stands today.  Yes, those two should combine for Jimmie Foxx level production.  But only because Foxx has been dead for 45 years.

I know Carp won't be an All Star, but he certainly can out-hit Chris McGuiness...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I think Carp would be starting on several teams, and listed them above.  To me, the most obvious fit is Pittsburgh, who is slated to use a Chris McGuiness / Gaby Sanchez platoon at first as it stands today.  Yes, those two should combine for Jimmie Foxx level production.  But only because Foxx has been dead for 45 years.

I know Carp won't be an All Star, but he certainly can out-hit Chris McGuiness...

I all fairness notin, Chris McGuiness is basically a rookie and only 25 years old with a .994 fielding percentage at 1B.  I just can't see Carp playing every day at 1B or his platoon offense overshadowing the poor defense over a long season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's one of the reasons why I liked Chavez when he was with the NYY.  He backed up both 3rd and 1st, gives you the chance to rest both ARod and Tex against tough righties, and provides a nice glove.

And, as always, Carp's salary goes a long way towards my appreciation of him.  A 1.2 WAR for minimum wage, and the ability to take emergency starts in LF, is a big reason our bench was so effective.

Between him, Nava, and Salty, we had the ability to start either 6 righties or 7 lefties at any given time, with no loss of effectiveness.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

That's one of the reasons why I liked Chavez when he was with the NYY.  He backed up both 3rd and 1st, gives you the chance to rest both ARod and Tex against tough righties, and provides a nice glove.

And, as always, Carp's salary goes a long way towards my appreciation of him.  A 1.2 WAR for minimum wage, and the ability to take emergency starts in LF, is a big reason our bench was so effective.

Between him, Nava, and Salty, we had the ability to start either 6 righties or 7 lefties at any given time, with no loss of effectiveness.

Chavez was another great choice despite the injuries.  I just don't see the need to sacrafice poor fielding for a 280/300 BA against RHP.  Carp was a small part of our success that could easily be replaced by a ton of players with better D. 

The low salary keeps him here!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Young's defense is quite poor at most of those positions, except maybe 1B and DH.  He is not a good option at 2B or 3B, more of a warm body with experience...

By most major league standards Mike Carp should not be playing the OF with less than a .960 fielding percentage. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

as the roster stands now...our only position of need a quality 4th/5th OF that can play both CF and RF and provide us some speed off the bench. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

as the roster stands now...our only position of need a quality 4th/5th OF that can play both CF and RF and provide us some speed off the bench. 

[/QUOTE]

Hopefully we can find one on the farm bean because I have a funny feeling the Sox intend on being loyal to Dempster's two year deal despite his struggles and our present needs until it's absolutely a must.  At this point we could more than fill our void by dropping most of Dempster's salary and giving Workman his spot.  I also feel we should keep Carp's below .960 fielding percentage out of the OF (COMPLETELY) once we do find a solid backup OF. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hopefully we can find one on the farm bean because I have a funny feeling the Sox intend on being loyal to Dempster's two year deal despite his struggles and our present needs until it's absolutely a must.  At this point we could more than fill our void by dropping most of Dempster's salary and giving Workman his spot.  I also feel we should keep Carp's below .960 fielding percentage out of the OF (COMPLETELY) once we do find a solid backup OF. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm of the mind that Workman should start the year in AAA and continue to build his innings to ready him to start later in the season or in 2015. i liked what I saw last year and his valuecto the team is greater as a starter than a reliever...Dempster if not dealt before the end of camp, will probably pitch out of the pen and serve as the spot starter/longman. That said we're a long ways from April and there's no reason to trade a starter until it becomes a problem of excess. 

i do think that Cherington will make a move for another OF before the final 25 man roster is set and trading Carp makes the most sense. Again the market is still somewhat fluid in that there are still some pretty good players looking for work....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm of the mind that Workman should start the year in AAA and continue to build his innings to ready him to start later in the season or in 2015. i liked what I saw last year and his valuecto the team is greater as a starter than a reliever...Dempster if not dealt before the end of camp, will probably pitch out of the pen and serve as the spot starter/longman. That said we're a long ways from April and there's no reason to trade a starter until it becomes a problem of excess. 

i do think that Cherington will make a move for another OF before the final 25 man roster is set and trading Carp makes the most sense. Again the market is still somewhat fluid in that there are still some pretty good players looking for work....

[/QUOTE]

Makes sense bean if we really do intend to back up all areas sufficiently to start the season.  I actually like Workman over Taz in a relief role or as a replacement to Dempster but again you make a good point.  Either way he needs innings to build himself up for whatever role we use him in.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great post, notin.

Do you think it's a fluke that Carp has hit lefties better than righties over his career (.792 to .779)? (Note: he hit righties way better in 2013 at .904 to .745)

While Gomes certainly has hit lefties better than Carp, and the Gomes-Nava LF platoon may really produce well for us in 2014, I like the idea that Carp is under team control 3 more years. He has 2 more arb years after this one. He won't make what Gomes makes this year, so we could save some cash by trading Gomes instead.

I realize Gomes is Farrell's favorite, so I doubt they trade him, but I like the fact that Carp can back-up Naps at 1B. I don't like the idea of Nava at 1B and Gomes in LF full time, if Naps gets hurt.

I do like the idea of trading Dempster to create cap space, but I think we may wait to make a trade for a CF'er or leftside IF'er until after the season is underway, and we have a better idea of what we have at CF, SS and 3B.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great post, notin.

Do you think it's a fluke that Carp has hit lefties better than righties over his career (.792 to .779)? (Note: he hit righties way better in 2013 at .904 to .745)

While Gomes certainly has hit lefties better than Carp, and the Gomes-Nava LF platoon may really produce well for us in 2014, I like the idea that Carp is under team control 3 more years. He has 2 more arb years after this one. He won't make what Gomes makes this year, so we could save some cash by trading Gomes instead.

I realize Gomes is Farrell's favorite, so I doubt they trade him, but I like the fact that Carp can back-up Naps at 1B. I don't like the idea of Nava at 1B and Gomes in LF full time, if Naps gets hurt.

I do like the idea of trading Dempster to create cap space, but I think we may wait to make a trade for a CF'er or leftside IF'er until after the season is underway, and we have a better idea of what we have at CF, SS and 3B.

[/QUOTE]

The team will only carry so many OF's.  I'm not sure Carp being under team control or simply being around to hit righties and back up 1B will be the deciding factor on whether we keep him.  I don't mind the Nap/Carp and Gomes/Nava platoon as long as we keep Carp as far away from the OF as possible.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The team will only carry so many OF's.  I'm not sure Carp being under team control or simply being around to hit righties and back up 1B will be the deciding factor on whether we keep him.  I don't mind the Nap/Carp and Gomes/Nava platoon as long as we keep Carp as far away from the OF as possible.

I agree on Carp being terrible in the OF, but Gomes is pretty bad out there too.