What's wrong with this picture?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

What's wrong with this picture?

Clay pitches seven strong innings and leaves with the score tied.  Miller sets down five in a row.  Alex Wilson pitches to one batter in the ninth and gets the win.  I realize it's been this way for over a century, but I'd still like to see a change in how wins are determined. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

We won--who cares it's a WWWWWWWWW for the team---this is a team sport.

Buch gave up two runs--- Wilson got a big out. Buch pitched well and helped his team stay in the game---he also maintained a tremendous ERA for a starter--1.78.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

We won--who cares it's a WWWWWWWWW for the team---this is a team sport.

Buch gave up two runs--- Wilson got a big out. Buch pitched well and helped his team stay in the game---he also maintained a tremendous ERA for a starter--1.78.

Well, obviously I care.  I'm certainly not bemoaning the win. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Should Buch have gotten the loss tonight if the Sox lost 3-2---he gave up the most runs.

Does that sound logical?????????????????????

Abner Doubleday got it right.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Should Buch have gotten the loss tonight if the Sox lost 3-2---he gave up the most runs.

Does that sound logical?????????????????????

Abner Doubleday got it right.

exactly....why would anybody want to bring this up?this has been the way we played it forever...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

History books would have to be rewritten.  I don't think MLB will change that stat

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to joel49's comment:

Clay pitches seven strong innings and leaves with the score tied.  Miller sets down five in a row.  Alex Wilson pitches to one batter in the ninth and gets the win.  I realize it's been this way for over a century, but I'd still like to see a change in how wins are determined. 

C'mon, Joel.  It was Wilson's first major league win.  You're gonna deny him that?  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

At least Wilson retired the one batter he faced.  He could have loaded the bases and "earned" the out with a game saving defensive play by one of his fielders and still be credited with the win.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

And Buch still earns the new fangled quality start and and Miller earns the new fangled hold.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tek-9. Show Tek-9's posts

Abner Doubleday did not invent Baseball... common misconception 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Tek-9's comment:

Even if he had, he was not in on a meeting where they decided upon how to credit wins and losses for pitchers.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to Tek-9's comment:

http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/who-invented-baseball

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Wins for a pitcher are a silly stat anyway.  And are finally being more and more disregarded.

Clay certainly benefitted statistically from his outing.   The important thing is the team won...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

C'mon, Joel.  It was Wilson's first major league win.  You're gonna deny him that?  

I'm happy for Alex, Rojas.  It was a thrill for him.  But I still don't like the way it is scored, and I don't care how long they've been doing it.  The NBA went to the three point shot, and somehow it survived even though, to my knowledge at least, the record books don't have asterisks next to career leaders in points scored.  I doubt that a rule change regarding a pitcher's earning a win would have a negative result on the game or the record books.  The fact that a rule has been around for a hundred plus years, and therefore should not be changed, does not fly.  The DH, whether one likes it or not, is an invention of the modern era, so it isn't as if every rule is written in stone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't think wins and losses for a pitcher are a totally useless stat.  But they're not the key stat, that's for sure.  Especially in the modern era where the complete game has gone the way of the dodo bird.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

If you were going to go that route, you'd need to do the same thing with everyone.  The guy that came in with bases loaded and no out, and facing the middle of the order, allows one run, and leaves the game with a blown save.  A closer can come in the 9th with the bottom of the order and a 3-run lead and be a hero for saving the game.

1st and 3rd, down 2 in the 9th, with one out.  Batter lofts a FB into short left field.  The LF correctly throws to second while the runner tags from 3rd.  Batter gets a SF.

Guys comes up with bases loaded and lofts a check-swing FB down the RF line where it clears the bases.  The next inning, someone rips a liner right at the 1B with the bases and it goes down as a GDP.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

One pitching stat I'd like to see changed is ERA.I believe that a pitcher should only be charged for a full earned run when they allow it.If a pitcher gets relieved leaving a runner on 1st,he should only get charged .25 of an earned run and the pitcher who allowed him to score would be charged .75 of the earned run.If the runner was on 2nd the pitchers would each get charged .50 ER,runner on 3rd the original pitcher .25 and the reliever .75 ER

So basically,the pitcher would get charged .25 for each base and base runner.For example,if the starter left left the bases loaded and the reliever allowed a grand slam,the starter would be charged 1.50 ER (.25 for 1st,.50 for 2nd and .75 for 3rd),the relief pitcher would get charged 2.50 ER  (.75 for 1st,.50 for 2nd,.25 for 3rd and 1.00 for the batter).That accounts for all 4 Earned Runs.

If there are more than 2 pitchers involved,they would share the ER the same way.For example,if the starter left with a man on 1st,the second pitcher came in and allowed him to advance to 2nd and a third pitcher came in that allowed him to score the scoring would go:

.25 to the starter for allowing the runner to 1st

.25 to the second pitcher for allowing him to advance 1 base

.50 to the 3rd pitcher for allowing him to score from 2nd.

I think that would be much more accurate for ERA stats because when a pitcher leaves,he has no control over what the relievers do and shouldn't be penalized for their poor pitching performance.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I agree, there is a lot wrong with this picture.  Personally, I think assigning a Win to any single player on a team sport is kind of silly.

That said, I don't see the rules changing any time soon.  People just need to realize that Wins for a pitcher is the single most useless stat in baseball. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I agree, there is a lot wrong with this picture.  Personally, I think assigning a Win to any single player on a team sport is kind of silly.

That said, I don't see the rules changing any time soon.  People just need to realize that Wins for a pitcher is the single most useless stat in baseball. 

sorry no time to expand ms kimmi

heck U heard it all B4 anyways

then again some need 2 B reminded more than others ;-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

If you were going to go that route, you'd need to do the same thing with everyone.  The guy that came in with bases loaded and no out, and facing the middle of the order, allows one run, and leaves the game with a blown save.  A closer can come in the 9th with the bottom of the order and a 3-run lead and be a hero for saving the game.

There is a huge difference between recording 6 outs and protecting a 1-run lead versus recording 3 outs (or sometimes fewer) and protecting a 3-run lead.  A closer coming into the game with a 3 run lead can give up 2 runs and still record the Save.  Obviously, that's not the case coming in with a 1 or 2 run lead.

I've always thought that Saves should be a stat that is weighted according to the particular game situation.

Don't even get me started on Holds....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

heck U heard it all B4 anyways

then again some need 2 B reminded more than others ;-)

LOL Zac, I was thinking the exact same thing when I made that statement that you highlighted,

and guess who I was thinking about?  ;-)