What's Your Must Move or Non-Move by the Red Sox This Offseason?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

What's Your Must Move or Non-Move by the Red Sox This Offseason?

The Sox have a lot of different things they can do. But to me, the dealbreaker with me is that they shouldn't trade Middlebrooks.

Who knows, maybe Middlebrooks won't work out. But he's played seven full months in the majors, and five of them have been very good. If you combine his partial months, including the postseason, he's been good in five of eight months.

When he came back in August, he showed better plate discipline too. And while he remains a work in progress defensively, the work he did with Mike Lowell in the spring on footwork an throwing helped.

Middlebrooks is a right-handed power hitter with power to all fields, and the Sox haven't been very good recently in develping power hitters. You don't give up on that this quickly, especially if he can play third base.

As for others:

Salty? Would like him back, but if the Sox move on from him -- so be it.

Napoli? Would like him back, but I could handle Middlebrooks to 1B, Bogaerts to 3B and Drew at SS. Not ideal, but ...

Drew? Would prefer an infield of Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, Pedroia and Napoli, so I don't really want him back. But I if Napoli leaves, I'd accept the above scenario.

Pitching?
    There's talk about bringing all six starters back for the spring. Could see that. If they trade any of them, I'd want them to trade Peavy or Dempster even though I like both. There's talk of trading one of the others because you could get more for them, but to me, I want to keep the best pitchers. The Sox have no glaring holes that they need to make a blockbuster deal. And they better not trade Lester or Buchholz like some have suggested, but I don't think they will so that's why they aren't on my must list.

So in the end, they better keep Middlebrooks. The rest is fluid.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: What's Your Must Move or Non-Move by the Red Sox This Offseason?

I'll be very disappointed if they don't bring back Napoli.  If they don't, they need a legit replacement.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The main thing is to not take a step backward. Keep trying to improve the team. The Red Sox, like any business, have to keep growing. Do not get complacent or stagnant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I keep hearing Tulo's name coming up.  His contract is high and his injury level isnt great.  But ive always liked him.  I think hes still owed 130m so its likely out of the question.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox have a lot of different things they can do. But to me, the dealbreaker with me is that they shouldn't trade Middlebrooks.

Who knows, maybe Middlebrooks won't work out. But he's played seven full months in the majors, and five of them have been very good. If you combine his partial months, including the postseason, he's been good in five of eight months.

When he came back in August, he showed better plate discipline too. And while he remains a work in progress defensively, the work he did with Mike Lowell in the spring on footwork an throwing helped.

Middlebrooks is a right-handed power hitter with power to all fields, and the Sox haven't been very good recently in develping power hitters. You don't give up on that this quickly, especially if he can play third base.

As for others:

Salty? Would like him back, but if the Sox move on from him -- so be it.

Napoli? Would like him back, but I could handle Middlebrooks to 1B, Bogaerts to 3B and Drew at SS. Not ideal, but ...

Drew? Would prefer an infield of Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, Pedroia and Napoli, so I don't really want him back. But I if Napoli leaves, I'd accept the above scenario.

Pitching?
    There's talk about bringing all six starters back for the spring. Could see that. If they trade any of them, I'd want them to trade Peavy or Dempster even though I like both. There's talk of trading one of the others because you could get more for them, but to me, I want to keep the best pitchers. The Sox have no glaring holes that they need to make a blockbuster deal. And they better not trade Lester or Buchholz like some have suggested, but I don't think they will so that's why they aren't on my must list.

So in the end, they better keep Middlebrooks. The rest is fluid.

[/QUOTE]

Do they put Lackey out there? 35yrs old... very high value? Maybe included in a package deal?  Don't say NO!!! you never know.....intresting     

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Ben C. is holding all the cards...... Can't wait to see what develops !!!

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

I sit and think to myself what would make this team great and I come up with the same  thing in different scenarios every time, How about we trade Clay Buccholz to the Rangers for Elvis Andrus? There might be some other moving parts but wouldn't that end the merry go round at SS? Heck Andrus has a 9 year contract worth 126m or an average of 14 mil per. That's certainly a doable number, and here's the kicker he can bat leadoff and steal as many bases as Jake if he's allowed too run. For this year, the Sox have an abundance of quality pitchers availible, why not take one and trade him for a quality middle infielder, and allow Pedey peace of mind. There are several other ways to go, but this just seems right! This would also allow the Sox to keep Bogaerts at 3B or teach him how to play first or the outfield. As for Middlebooks I think he needs a new home also, because he's not going too play 3B here after next season anyways, Garrin Cecchini is a prototypical Red Sox grinder who reminds me of a young Wade Boggs in his hitting approach, he'll start next season at AAA and if he can handle the pitching at that level he's only a cab drive away!
    The next question that creeps into my mind is what to do with Ryan Lavarnway? Is it feasible to think he's an everyday catcher? Or is it time too teach him the fine art of playing his natural position of 1B ? Where he can grow into a fine DH down the line??? We know he isn't going to beat out guys like Butler, Vasquez, Swihart, or even Denney, so wouldn't it behoove management to start excellerating his learning curve at a position where he might pay huge dividends?

Finally I come to my favorite aspect of baseball pitching! The Sox system is loaded with great young arms so why on God's green earth are they talking about bringing in Tim Hudson at age 39?  Or why would they want to keep 36 yr. old Ryan Dempster? Please put Workman back in the rotation and see what he brings, or do us all a favor and bring any one of these three guys straight up to the majors and quit wasting their talents at the little league level Owens,Ranaudo,Webster. It worked for ST.Louis as they are now stacked with Young arms that all throw in the high 90's!  If the Sox are going to sign another Japanese pitcher make it Tanaka and not Ohtake, one pitches in an independant league and the other is the star of the island. Oh well i must have to much time on my hands, thanx for letting me vent...Has anyone seen Ryan Kalish...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

In response to redsoxandguitars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The FO can't determine a strategy until tomorrow when they hear from Napoli, Ellsbury, and Drew on the Qualifying Offers.

Nonsense, Ellsbury has turned it down. Napoli will find equal or better gauranteed deal and will turn it down. Drew is the only one who might take it, which means it shouldn't have been to start with, but Farrell gave it away that he's turning it down.

Strategy should have been in place long before now.

[/QUOTE] Actually none of the Sox have turned down the QO. Both Drew and Ellsbury are Scott Boras clients so it's just assumed they will both turn down their QO. Napoli hasn't turned his down either but might do so come tomorrow when those decisions have to be announced. I'm pretty sure based upon the amount of hot stove chatter that Ben and Co. have a plan in place for each scenario.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Get Salty on a 3 year deal that leads to other RS catching prospects taking over. McCann will cost too much in years and salary.

Secondary:

2/28 to Napoli. I wouldn't go 3 years on Napoli. Just too many questions with the hip and feet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

[QUOTE]

Actually none of the Sox have turned down the QO.

Actually, Ellsbury has turned it down. Actually, Napoli will turn it down. Actually, Drew will turn it down because Farrell gave it away. 

[/QUOTE] Got a source? A headline? anything that shows where Ells has turned down his QO?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

I think they go after AJ Pier for two years Total $13 M as the back-up catcher to Ross giving Vazquez and Swihart and Butler time to develop.

I think they will keep Xander @ 3 B and make a move to trade for a SS like Aybar or Andrus or Tulo.

So perhaps we will go after Trumbo, Bourjos and Aybar in exchange for WMB, Doubrount and Betts or Cecchini or JBJ------or Owen's a Southern CA guy, WMB and JBJ. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

The FO can't determine a strategy until tomorrow when they hear from Napoli, Ellsbury, and Drew on the Qualifying Offers.

Nonsense, Ellsbury has turned it down. Napoli will find equal or better gauranteed deal and will turn it down. Drew is the only one who might take it, which means it shouldn't have been to start with, but Farrell gave it away that he's turning it down.

[/QUOTE]

No chance at all Drew takes it. Hes already had a lot of interest. Hes a top 2 way SS on MLB whether you like him or not. Like Ive been saying, he will receieve a 4 yr deal somewhere.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

For the first time maybe ever, there is no must moves. No free agent we have to resign. No free agent we must go after. No player to trade for that is a perfect fit. No position that must be filled. Doing nothing would make us a worse team. But we would still be playoff caliber doing absolutely nothing.

I see no players in free agency I drool over like I did Koji. No playerrs I thought were perfect fits like Adrian Gonzalez to trade for. And I lose zero sleep if we lose any of our own free agents.

So the one must move is to NOT trade Xander Bogaerts. Followed by not signing any over rated free agents to long expensive deals while losing a pick. Followed by not giving away the farm. Don't screw with the future.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For the first time maybe ever, there is no must moves. No free agent we have to resign. No free agent we must go after. No player to trade for that is a perfect fit. No position that must be filled. Doing nothing would make us a worse team. But we would still be playoff caliber doing absolutely nothing.

I see no players in free agency I drool over like I did Koji. No playerrs I thought were perfect fits like Adrian Gonzalez to trade for. And I lose zero sleep if we lose any of our own free agents.

So the one must move is to NOT trade Xander Bogaerts. Followed by not signing any over rated free agents to long expensive deals while losing a pick. Followed by not giving away the farm. Don't screw with the future.

[/QUOTE]

I agree about not trading Xander Bogaerts. I figure he's so untouchable anyway, that's why I didn't mention it.

Agree with your post. That's why I put must move or non-move, because I think if there ever was a year for no dramatic move, this is it.

Keep the kids -- Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, Bradley. Give them the chance next year. A poster mentioned Cecchini will be at 3B in a couple of years and maybe he will be better than Middlebrooks. But for now, let's see what Middlebrooks has.

If Ortiz has say two years left and Napoli wants three years, re-sign him for that, bring back Middlebrooks and if Middlebrooks works out like I hope, move him to 1B when Ortiz is done and Napoli goes to DH with Cecchine taking over at 3B.

What I don't want to see is a bunch of the kids traded for some veteran. And for all the talk about Giancarlo Stanton, I'm really don't want to see four or five top prospects traded for him. It seems more often than not, when one team trades five players for one stud, the team that gets the five players ends up better. Not all the time but a lot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Six years from now Xander Bogaerts could be an MVP or could be that player who should have been traded when he had value.

Those risks are what make the business of MLB teams so tough.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

My number one move doesn't look good. I would focus on keeping Jacoby. All the other moves I'd make from inside the organization. So, spend the cash to keep Jacoby and fill the gaps from the farm.    

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I agree on keeping Middy.  give him a solid off-season work out learning the position, & working on plate discipline.  put Bogie at SS & we live with Middy's growing pains.  Sign Naps to a 2 year deal.  Make a run at McCaan for a 5 year $85M deal.  Stay strong up the middle!  Salty at $14.7 is a waste of time!  & a huge pass on a great offensive catcher.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So you now admit that offering a QO to Drew was a good idea?  You're starting to catch on.

IRTstrategy, I'm sure it is in place.  the problem is you don't know what strategy will work, mostly because most teams have similar stategies.  I like Ruiz to pair with Ross, but it is conceivable that another GM goes nuts and offers him $16M/2.

You can stategize all you want, but not everyone will react rationally.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

But to me, the dealbreaker with me is that they shouldn't trade Middlebrooks.

Who knows, maybe Middlebrooks won't work out. 

Since when is 1 HR in every 20 PA "won't work out". Middlebrooks, despite being slowed and hampered by injuries in 2012 and 2013 is a difficult to find home run power talent. Good luck on replacing what Middlebrooks brings for less than near 0 dollars for the next half a decade.

[/QUOTE]

Yup.  If folks looked at the numbers, from two half-seasons, as one full season, they'd be pretty impressed.  I'm not really a fan either, but there is no way I trade him now.  If Merrero or Cecchini have breakout seasons, then I hope WMB does well, and trade him for value at that point, but there is no reason to trade him now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Since when is 1 HR in every 20 PA "won't work out". Middlebrooks, despite being slowed and hampered by injuries in 2012 and 2013 is a difficult to find home run power talent. Good luck on replacing what Middlebrooks brings for less than near 0 dollars for the next half a decade.

Will Middlebrooks averages one homerun in every 20.6 MLB plate appearances, trailing comps Mark Reynolds (19.5) and Mark Trumbo (19.5).