What's Your Must Move or Non-Move by the Red Sox This Offseason?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: What's Your Must Move or Non-Move by the Red Sox This Offseason?

Must-Move:

- Napoli

- Trading 1 of Dempster/Peavy for an OF replacement to Ells at roughly = $

Non-Move;

- If we spend around 19-22 million on Salty/Drew and trade Middlebrooks (for anything but a very good young OFer) and let McCann go to NY or Texas for 17-18 million I will be annoyed.

MUCH rather have McCann, Middy and an extra 2-3 million and a draft pick than Drew, Salty and no comp pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

my one move would be to resign Ellsbury....

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I would really like to have Ellsbury back, but not at the price it is going to cost to retain him. 

What I don't want the FO to do is to commit to huge contracts that will handcuff the team in another few years.  Nor should they sacrifice the farm in order to obtain a big name player.

I hope that they continue with their offseason strategy from last offseason in terms of limiting the number of years to 3 or fewer, and overpaying slightly in terms of dollars if necessary.  Often times, the second tier players are a much better fit for a team than the superstars.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to redsoxandguitars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

But to me, the dealbreaker with me is that they shouldn't trade Middlebrooks.

Who knows, maybe Middlebrooks won't work out. 

Since when is 1 HR in every 20 PA "won't work out". Middlebrooks, despite being slowed and hampered by injuries in 2012 and 2013 is a difficult to find home run power talent. Good luck on replacing what Middlebrooks brings for less than near 0 dollars for the next half a decade.

[/QUOTE]

So out of curiousity, why do you over look the injuries that slow and hamper Middlebrooks, but consider them to an unforgivable flaw with Ellsbury?

Actually, never mind.  I already know the answer.  Thanks for playing...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Must Move is resigning Ellsbury. Non-Move is trading top prospects or giving up draft picks to sign players no better than what the team has now. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

The FO can't determine a strategy until tomorrow when they hear from Napoli, Ellsbury, and Drew on the Qualifying Offers.

Nonsense, Ellsbury has turned it down. Napoli will find equal or better gauranteed deal and will turn it down. Drew is the only one who might take it, which means it shouldn't have been to start with, but Farrell gave it away that he's turning it down.

Strategy should have been in place long before now.

No chance at all Drew takes it. Hes already had a lot of interest. Hes a top 2 way SS on MLB whether you like him or not. Like Ive been saying, he will receieve a 4 yr deal somewhere.

[/QUOTE]

And if the Sox were smart, that four year deal would be here. He's an exceptional SS, and works really well with Pedroia, who btw is staying around. That's a position that should be all about defense, hit/run prevention and super double plays that throw up two outs in an inning. IMO they would be making a huge mistake letting him get away. But it seems it just might happen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

Guys not worth the money and years: Drew 4 @ 12=48 mil. Ellsbury 7 @ 21=147mil, Napoli 3@ 15=45mil, Salty 4@ 10=40mil.....................But it's not my money!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

royf19 as per usual your posts are always levelheaded and made of sense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I have the perfect answer for any player I don't think the Sox should sign. 
    "He's far to expensive." 
    I'm comical to me the way Ellsbury, Drew, Napoli, are going to be so expensive the Sox can't afford them, but other free agents apparently aren't going to be expensive. 
    The difficulty is the Sox have young players who would be very inexpensive in the following positions; SS, 3B, C, CF, 1B (Middlebrooks). Their top free agents all play those positions with the exception of 3B where the Sox could be seen as three deep. 

SS: If the team thinks Boggy can play short then they can let Drew go. I'd like to see Boggy at short, but I'd rather see him ease into the position. 

CF: Bradley is not even close to being Ellsbury. It's a gigantic drop off. Bradley looked completely overmatched. It isn't that he didn't hit. He did not even look close. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm comical to me the way Ellsbury, Drew, Napoli, are going to be so expensive the Sox can't afford them, but other free agents apparently aren't going to be expensive. 

[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't be lumping Ellsbury in there.  Ellsbury is being projected to get at least $120 million.  I guarantee you the Sox aren't signing anyone for $120 million this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to LagunaJose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The FO can't determine a strategy until tomorrow when they hear from Napoli, Ellsbury, and Drew on the Qualifying Offers.

[/QUOTE]

You seriously think anyone of them might have chance to accept? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would really like to have Ellsbury back, but not at the price it is going to cost to retain him. 

What I don't want the FO to do is to commit to huge contracts that will handcuff the team in another few years.  Nor should they sacrifice the farm in order to obtain a big name player.

I hope that they continue with their offseason strategy from last offseason in terms of limiting the number of years to 3 or fewer, and overpaying slightly in terms of dollars if necessary.  Often times, the second tier players are a much better fit for a team than the superstars.

[/QUOTE]

I agree on the superstars.  I've always been a proponent of having a deep lineup than an inconsistent, star-studded lineup.

Past that, all the work that was done in 2013 was to ensure a sustainable model.  Which is why I think we have no 'must moves'.  We certainly will need a 1B and catcher, but I don't think they need to be stars.  I'm more than willing to let the market come to us.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think they go after AJ Pier for two years Total $13 M as the back-up catcher to Ross giving Vazquez and Swihart and Butler time to develop.

I think they will keep Xander @ 3 B and make a move to trade for a SS like Aybar or Andrus or Tulo.

So perhaps we will go after Trumbo, Bourjos and Aybar in exchange for WMB, Doubrount and Betts or Cecchini or JBJ------or Owen's a Southern CA guy, WMB and JBJ. 

[/QUOTE]

Are you Angels fan?  First of all, Ross will not be the starting catcher next season.  And you are giving up way too much.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

must move:  Resign Ellsbury, Drew, and Napoli.

Non-move:  Keep Lackey and Doubront.  (trade Peavy or Dempster).  Reason is that Lackey is only making 15mm dollars at year next year and his final year of contract in 2015, he is only making 500,000 dollars plus vesting option of 500,000 dollars.  That is going to save Boston a whole alot of money in 2015!!   

must move: Middlebrook (if Drew resign), JBJ (if Ellsbury) and Lavarnway (if Boston find another catch via free agency) who all should be trade for someone talent such as Stanton or another OF or maybe a young talent pitcher.

non-move:  farm player should be untouchable are Ranaudo, De La Rosa, Britton, Workman, Barnes, Wilson, Owens, Ball, Brentz and Cecchini.  Wright, Wilson, JBJ (like I said if Ellsbury is resigns), Kalish, Holt, etc all can be trade for something!!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

And someone explain what OF'er the Red Sox are going to get for "Dempster/Peavy" and gracing another GM with 27 million dollars in cost for 2014? 

[/QUOTE]

He meant Dempster or Peavy, not Dempster and Peavy, clown.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Non-move: Any deal that includes Owens or Cecchini (or Bogaerts of course)

Non-move: Resigning Salty; save the money and use a guy in the system plus Ross back-up.

Move: Re-Sign Drew and Napoli

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

There are must moves.....there are NO must players. 

I'd bring in a Center fielder who can hedge our bets with JBJ, I'd bring in a defensive minded infielder who can spell Bogaerts and Middlebrooks and act as insurance.  I would look for a first baseman but be perfectly ok with in house options if there is no good value on the market (Nava, WMB, Carp, Lava) 

I'd look to move a starter in the right deal but be more than happy to show Dempster the pen if that is not possible.  

Koji is my closer but I look to add one good quality high inning reliever. 

I don't sign any more than ONE player who has draft pick compensation attached to them. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Dreamer's move: Trade for Giancarlo Stanton, Sign Brian McCann, Trade away Peavy and Dempster and win exclusive negotiation rights and sign Tanaka

Possible but long shot move: Sign Ellsbury or Choo or trade for Matt Kemp, Trade for Trumbo, Sign Tim Hudson, Sign Drew

Realistic move: Resign Napoli, Sign Saltalmacchia or Pierzynski

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox have a lot of different things they can do. But to me, the dealbreaker with me is that they shouldn't trade Middlebrooks.

Who knows, maybe Middlebrooks won't work out. But he's played seven full months in the majors, and five of them have been very good. If you combine his partial months, including the postseason, he's been good in five of eight months.

When he came back in August, he showed better plate discipline too. And while he remains a work in progress defensively, the work he did with Mike Lowell in the spring on footwork an throwing helped.

Middlebrooks is a right-handed power hitter with power to all fields, and the Sox haven't been very good recently in develping power hitters. You don't give up on that this quickly, especially if he can play third base.

As for others:

Salty? Would like him back, but if the Sox move on from him -- so be it.

Napoli? Would like him back, but I could handle Middlebrooks to 1B, Bogaerts to 3B and Drew at SS. Not ideal, but ...

Drew? Would prefer an infield of Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, Pedroia and Napoli, so I don't really want him back. But I if Napoli leaves, I'd accept the above scenario.

Pitching?
    There's talk about bringing all six starters back for the spring. Could see that. If they trade any of them, I'd want them to trade Peavy or Dempster even though I like both. There's talk of trading one of the others because you could get more for them, but to me, I want to keep the best pitchers. The Sox have no glaring holes that they need to make a blockbuster deal. And they better not trade Lester or Buchholz like some have suggested, but I don't think they will so that's why they aren't on my must list.

So in the end, they better keep Middlebrooks. The rest is fluid.

[/QUOTE]

Peavy and Dempster for two Dunkin Donut seats.......We have to get something in return.