When does this guy take a hike? Go root for another team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: When does this guy take a hike? Go root for another team

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Shaughnessy is clearly not afraid to be negative; however it appears he overdoes it. Keep in mind his goal is to sell papers. It kind of reminds me of the New York Post, and likely other writers, who look to pounce on every nook and cranny of every hometown team; and usually they're right, or at least in part have a point.

It is rare  for a writer or announcer to criticize an out of town team or player, unless there's a national angle; like ARod.

Hey Steven. NY papers have two teams. My guess would be, if there was constant negativity about the Yankees, which I doubt, it would be because some sportswriters may favor the Mets. There's no excuse for CHB. And selling papers as an excuse is ridiculous because what fan wants to read constant negativity about their team? IMO he's pleasing someone else. And you can infer whatever you want from that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Shaughnessy is clearly not afraid to be negative; however it appears he overdoes it. Keep in mind his goal is to sell papers. It kind of reminds me of the New York Post, and likely other writers, who look to pounce on every nook and cranny of every hometown team; and usually they're right, or at least in part have a point.

It is rare  for a writer or announcer to criticize an out of town team or player, unless there's a national angle; like ARod.

Hey Steven. NY papers have two teams. My guess would be, if there was constant negativity about the Yankees, which I doubt, it would be because some sportswriters may favor the Mets. There's no excuse for CHB. And selling papers as an excuse is ridiculous because what fan wants to read constant negativity about their team? IMO he's pleasing someone else. And you can infer whatever you want from that.

Another odd conspiracy theory ; DS is a dyed in the wool Sox fan who tells it like he thinks it is; also I've seen Ryan, Cafardo, Abraham, WEEI, and even Obnoxious RS fan say worse. On a related topic, the same NY writers would bash both teams.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

Another odd conspiracy theory ; DS is a dyed in the wool Sox fan who tells it like he thinks it is; also I've seen Ryan, Cafardo, Abraham, WEEI, and even Obnoxious RS fan say worse. Also, the same NY writers would bash both teams.

[/QUOTE]

Call it whatever you want. He loves controversy and he loves the limelight. He doesn't care about the Sox at all. He's a media w. And he's clearly making some fans happy, they just don't happen to be Red Sox fans. A good majority of Sox fans don't like him. Isn't that his supposed target audience?

IMO he likes the attention he gets from rival teams' fans. I bet he's the belle of the ball in NY. The only reason they don't bring him there is because his comments work better for NY in Boston. Like I said demoralizing the team. Zac loves him just ask him. Enough said.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Another odd conspiracy theory ; DS is a dyed in the wool Sox fan who tells it like he thinks it is; also I've seen Ryan, Cafardo, Abraham, WEEI, and even Obnoxious RS fan say worse. Also, the same NY writers would bash both teams.

Call it whatever you want. He loves controversy and he loves the limelight. He doesn't care about the Sox at all. He's a media w. And he's clearly making some fans happy, they just don't happen to be Red Sox fans. A good majority of Sox fans don't like him. Isn't that his supposed target audience?

IMO he likes the attention he gets from rival teams' fans. I bet he's the belle of the ball in NY. The only reason they don't bring him there is because his comments work better for NY in Boston. Like I said demoralizing the team. Zac loves him just ask him. Enough said.

I disagree. And most NY fans don't even read the Globe, or IMO would hardly care if they did read him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I disagree. And most NY fans don't even read the Globe, or IMO would hardly care if they did read him. 

You know what I don't know? I don't know what players on the Yankees drink beer. I don't know what players on the Yankees eat fried chicken. I don't know if they all sit around drinking Ensure  in the clubhouse. I just don't know. You really can't compare the Boston media to the NY media. If the Yankees wind up losing the playoffs by one game, I still will not know what they were eating or drinking during those games. I doubt I will know who they felt was responsible in any way. They will just lose as a team, like every other team that has ever lost their chance at the playoffs. That's the difference between the Boston media and the media of every other team in MLB. They don't pick their targets and go completely off the charts trying to drill that in to their fans.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

You know what I don't know? I don't know what players on the Yankees drink beer. I don't know what players on the Yankees eat fried chicken. I don't know if they all sit around drinking Ensure  in the clubhouse. I just don't know. You really can't compare the Boston media to the NY media. If the Yankees wind up losing the playoffs by one game, I still will not know what they were eating or drinking during those games. I doubt I will know who they felt was responsible in any way. They will just lose as a team, like every other team that has ever lost their chance at the playoffs. That's the difference between the Boston media and the media of every other team in MLB. They don't pick their targets and go completely off the charts trying to drill that in to their fans.

There is some truth to what you say, the Boston media is brutal. And if the NYY played in Boston, you would hear more about how ARod's teammates can't stand him, particularly Jeter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

There is some truth to what you say, the Boston media is brutal. And if the NYY played in Boston, you would hear more about how ARod's teammates who can't stand him, particularly Jeter.

Hopefully, there could be changes taking the New York Times out of the equation, and having John Henry involved. They have to understand that they not only affect the players on the team with their nonsense, they affect the players that would be thinking of playing in Boston. That should not be the reputation of the media here. It should be the same as everywhere else. Baseball players are not the enemy, they're just baseball players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

There is some truth to what you say, the Boston media is brutal. And if the NYY played in Boston, you would hear more about how ARod's teammates who can't stand him, particularly Jeter.

Hopefully, there could be changes taking the New York Times out of the equation, and having John Henry involved. They have to understand that they not only affect the players on the team with their nonsense, they affect the players that would be thinking of playing in Boston. That should not be the reputation of the media here. It should be the same as everywhere else. Baseball players are not the enemy, they're just baseball players.

You do realize the NYT are part owner's of the RS, with a pretty large share?

This goes back to the TW days, as so articulately outlined in the Montville book, which I highly recommend.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Henry became the sole owner of the Florida Marlins in 1999, purchasing the Major League club from Huizenga for a reported $158,000,000. In January 2002 Henry sold the Marlins in a multi-franchise deal to Jeffrey Loria, then owner of the Montreal Expos (now the Washington Nationals). Simultaneously, Henry led a purchase of the Boston Red Sox with partners Tom Werner and the New York Times Company from the Yawkey Trust headed by John Harrington

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Henry

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Henry became the sole owner of the Florida Marlins in 1999, purchasing the Major League club from Huizenga for a reported $158,000,000. In January 2002 Henry sold the Marlins in a multi-franchise deal to Jeffrey Loria, then owner of the Montreal Expos (now the Washington Nationals). Simultaneously, Henry led a purchase of the Boston Red Sox with partners Tom Werner and the New York Times Company from the Yawkey Trust headed by John Harrington

It's amazing that NY HAS to be involved in some way with their rival team. There is NO WAY that NY would let that happen with any Boston media. I have no idea why you constantly question my comments as conspiracy theories with this information. It's obviously not just theories. And the umpires, with their headquarters based in NY, is another example of NY influence. Instant replay cannot come too soon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]

It's amazing that NY HAS to be involved in some way with their rival team. There is NO WAY that NY would let that happen with any Boston media. I have no idea why you constantly question my comments as conspiracy theories with this information. It's obviously not just theories. And the umpires, with their headquarters based in NY, is another example of NY influence. Instant replay cannot come too soon.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Here's hoping you don't find a way to conspiracize that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to royf19's comment:I agree Roy I don't like over the top homers either. But there is a middle ground I guess. He is so two faced also. Two years ago he was a guest on a Philly talk show (by phone) and he told the Philly fans to please! boo the Sox fans when they chanted "Let's go Red Sox" He said how annoying they were. I did meet him however in the pro shop across the street from Fenway in 2001. He was promoting one of his books. He was quite friendly and took the time to talk to people. Gordon Edes was on the same Philly talk show the year before and kind of did the same thing but not quite as bad as Dan S. Maybe they're trying to kiss up to the Philly fans and the hosts.

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to ampoule's comment:

[QUOTE]

Shaughnessy is an a-hole....and, I told him that to his face when I saw him at a Starbuck's last year.

You may not agree with his point of view and I disagree with him quite often as well, but whether we agree with him or not is no reason to verbally assault someone in public. It in my mind makes you the a-whole......

Like they say when your going under the bar in Limbo "how low can you go".  

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. I don't understand why some people take it so personally when another person states an opinion they disagree with. I watched The Baseball Show wth Dan on it on Saturday. I didn't think he said anything outrageous. He was right. The Sox did catch a break on the trip.

Personally, even though he was skeptical of the team's chances this year, I always felt his concerns were justified. He's not supposed to be a cheerleader, and it doesn't bother me if he points out what he perceives to be flaws or concerns. I'm secure enough in my own opinion to agree or disagree w/o having to make it personal.

There was a guy who called in to the show just to take a cheap shot at Shaughnessy. Wow -- what a loser. Must have been the highlight of his life.

Just because I try to remain positive outwardly about the team and enjoy when things are going well, it doesn't mean I might not have concerns about the team at any give time.Heck, back in August 2011 when everyone -- Shaughnessy included and nearly all the media and talk show crowd -- were saying the playoffs were a given, I never felt that way. I was too scarred by 1974 and 1978 to ever feel a playoff berth is safe until it's officially wrapped up.

Shaughnessy has written his fair share of positve columns over the years, but even if he's as negative as some think, it's far better than columnists who are the at the other extreme and who are over-the-top homers.

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

This goes back to the TW days, as so articulately outlined in the Montville book, which I highly recommend.

The New York Times's share at its peak was 17 percent and its interest had to do with NESN. However, they've sold large blocks of its shares. I'm not sure if they've finally sold all of it but I know they've sold most of it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

good stuff roy

I don't get it Promise4you2 /  point of the thread

R U actually upset that someone suggested the sox caught a break by

not facing  Kershaw, Greinke &  Buamgarner

really

even if one changed their mind seconds later

I would have  thought that it went through every  fans mind

That's what I didn't get either. The Sox did catch a break with who they missed -- and it's happened other times too. Dan's comment, to me, was pretty harmless and like he said, it's random. He hardly was being negative, just a simple comment. The trip very well could have been different if the Sox faced Kershaw. Or maybe not. It was hardly a comment to get worked up over. Heck, if you want to pile on him, there are better comments/columns where you could take issue with.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

The New York Times's share at its peak was 17 percent and its interest had to do with NESN. However, they've sold large blocks of its shares. I'm not sure if they've finally sold all of it but I know they've sold most of it.

This addresses the idea that DS, a Globe writer since the early 80s, is a NYT mole, a conglomerate who is interested in discrediting the RS, while they're part owner.

That's like part-owning a hot dog stand and hiring someone to wear placards and stand nearby saying THESE HOT DOGS STINK.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

Dan Shaughnessy agrees.  He brings up the fact that the Sox were able to dodge some really good pitchers on their recent trip to the west coast.

"When can you go to the west coast to play the Giants and Dodgers and not see the four best pitchers on the two teams?" argued Dan Shaughnessy, "That stuff's kinda random.  You can go through and cherry pick anything you want, but they are in a pretty good stretch there where they are missing the best people (the other teams) have to offer."

Like this is not part of the game, this idiot bases his comments on two series!

Well, I didnt find anything wrong with it. CHB can be a class A dink, but this was harmless IMHO. We did avoid 3 top pitchers on that trip. Thats half the games on that trip to SF & LA. It happened, and the results could have easily been much different. It doesnt mean it would have been different. The way our pitchers are going we could beat anyone. Ask the now 19- 2 Max Scherzer(sp?). Lester out dueled him last night with an "Ace" like performance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dan Shaughnessy agrees.  He brings up the fact that the Sox were able to dodge some really good pitchers on their recent trip to the west coast.

"When can you go to the west coast to play the Giants and Dodgers and not see the four best pitchers on the two teams?" argued Dan Shaughnessy, "That stuff's kinda random.  You can go through and cherry pick anything you want, but they are in a pretty good stretch there where they are missing the best people (the other teams) have to offer."

Like this is not part of the game, this idiot bases his comments on two series!

I wish we had faced the Dodgers in April or May- when they stunk.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to ampoule's comment:

[QUOTE]

Shaughnessy is an a-hole....and, I told him that to his face when I saw him at a Starbuck's last year.

You may not agree with his point of view and I disagree with him quite often as well, but whether we agree with him or not is no reason to verbally assault someone in public. It in my mind makes you the a-whole......

Like they say when your going under the bar in Limbo "how low can you go".  

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. I don't understand why some people take it so personally when another person states an opinion they disagree with. I watched The Baseball Show wth Dan on it on Saturday. I didn't think he said anything outrageous. He was right. The Sox did catch a break on the trip.

Personally, even though he was skeptical of the team's chances this year, I always felt his concerns were justified. He's not supposed to be a cheerleader, and it doesn't bother me if he points out what he perceives to be flaws or concerns. I'm secure enough in my own opinion to agree or disagree w/o having to make it personal.

There was a guy who called in to the show just to take a cheap shot at Shaughnessy. Wow -- what a loser. Must have been the highlight of his life.

Just because I try to remain positive outwardly about the team and enjoy when things are going well, it doesn't mean I might not have concerns about the team at any give time.Heck, back in August 2011 when everyone -- Shaughnessy included and nearly all the media and talk show crowd -- were saying the playoffs were a given, I never felt that way. I was too scarred by 1974 and 1978 to ever feel a playoff berth is safe until it's officially wrapped up.

Shaughnessy has written his fair share of positve columns over the years, but even if he's as negative as some think, it's far better than columnists who are the at the other extreme and who are over-the-top homers.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Roy, 

I wonder what this same person who hates Dan S would do if someone walked up to him in a crowded shop and called him an a-whole. I guess with his logic working in reverse he might love it. 

As for Dan Shaughnessy's points of view, he is a sportswriter paid to put his point of view out for public consumption which is no different than us posting to the group with the exception that we do not get paid. My rather over simplistic rational. If everytime one of us didn't agree with one another we named called this site would be a bloody mess, which it has on ocassion anyways with all of our varying personalities and opinions.

Dan's opinions are his and although I don't always agree I at least can respect the man. If folks want to get after a writer who never seems to publish anything positive please read Wilber's column.

Hetch  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Best policy with DS is to ignore him.  He's put up too many pieces that there were clearly meant just to stir things up.  I can't take him seriously anymore.  If you want good honest coverage of the Sox & other Boston teams, Chad Finn is the guy.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

[QUOTE]

good stuff roy

really

That's what I didn't get either. The Sox did catch a break with who they missed -- and it's happened other times too. Dan's comment, to me, was pretty harmless and like he said, it's random. He hardly was being negative, just a simple comment. The trip very well could have been different if the Sox faced Kershaw. Or maybe not. It was hardly a comment to get worked up over. Heck, if you want to pile on him, there are better comments/columns where you could take issue with.

[/QUOTE]

Heck, if you want to pile on him, there are better comments/columns where you could take issue with.

Your own words, when does one go over the edge? Maybe for some it was another comment he had, or another negative article he wrote. this was mine. The comment i posted was taken out of context where another so called genious suggested the sox were lucky. His comments were made after the that which made me conclude he was agreeing. This happens to all teams though out a 162 game season, why even broach the subject? Oh ya to put a negative light on the Sox season.

And for your buddy who you responded to, no it never went through my mind! It is as i stated part of a long season. Why dont you two go to a Yankees page? Maybe you can have more fun there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

good stuff roy

really

Heck, if you want to pile on him, there are better comments/columns where you could take issue with.

Your own words, when does one go over the edge? Maybe for some it was another comment he had, or another negative article he wrote. this was mine. The comment i posted was taken out of context where another so called genious suggested the sox were lucky. His comments were made after the that which made me conclude he was agreeing. This happens to all teams though out a 162 game season, why even broach the subject? Oh ya to put a negative light on the Sox season.

And for your buddy who you responded to, no it never went through my mind! It is as i stated part of a long season. Why dont you two go to a Yankees page? Maybe you can have more fun there.

Why so hostile?

We just have a difference of opinion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!

And for your buddy who you responded to, no it never went through my mind!

not calling you a lier but

I find it really hard to believe that anyone's 1st reaction

to hearing they were missing Kershaw, Greinke &  Buamgarner

wasn't that we are catching a break

It is as i stated part of a long season.

of course it is

so is catching breaks, why so sensitive

no shame there

Why dont you two go to a Yankees page? Maybe you can have more fun there.

thing is

nevermind