When should the Sox send Salty to the minors? When is enough, enough?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRGL27Rings. Show FRGL27Rings's posts

When should the Sox send Salty to the minors? When is enough, enough?

Saltalamacchia almost cost the team the win with his passed ball & subsequent fumbling in the 8th inning as he displayed a complete lack of poise as he could not find the ball & allowed a LA run to score. Was last night the last straw? What would you do as GM?

Saltalamacchia has three passed balls already this season and Red Sox pitchers have four wild pitches with him behind the plate. Opponents are 17 for 20 stealing bases against him and several of this throws have sailed into center field.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: When should the Sox send Salty to the minors? When is enough, enough?

Sox ship him to Pawtucket as soon as you move to the Bronx where you belong...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

And then who replaces him?  It's best to give him until June, then if it's not working out you go an alternative route, likely a trade. 

In his defense, he did have a double early in the game and his power potential is still there.  As far as his throws, he's got a quick release.  It's more about confidence with him as he's got the skills.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

hey frankie, thanks for your concern.......speaking of concern, you should start to be concerned about your yankees pal. look at the standings lately frankie? everybody including my beloved red sox are closing in. may is gonna be one helluva a month of baseball frankie. next time your behind the wheel and driving someplace take a look in the rear view mirror........oh look frankie, it's the entire american league east breathing right down your neck and closing in on you.

GO SOX.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRGL27Rings. Show FRGL27Rings's posts

Goodmorning to my good friend Hammah29r2.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

stick with him is what i say, i truly believe he is going to hit and get better behind the plate with time, Varitek cant be the rotations pacifier forever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

good morning and happy easter to you too frankie my good friend. I like that picture you posted......it is clear and very well defined. it is the future down the road. if I didn't know any better I'd say that picture was of me in my car looking in the side mirror and seeing the NYY's behind me.....thanks again for the great picture frank.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfaninabsentia. Show soxfaninabsentia's posts

Ship him out yesterday.  So far 2 orgs have given up on this kid because he CAN'T PLAY!  No arm poor defense below average hitter and when it comes to calling a game he's a dumb SOB.  Atlanta shipped him to TX for a rented Mark Tex.  Texas replaced him with Taylor Teagarden [a AA catcher] for the first half of the season until they could get Molina.  Teagarden stated this season in AAA and was just called up as the 3rd catcher for the Rangers.  This kid should be shipped to A ball in Afghanistan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dangerfeld. Show Dangerfeld's posts

In Response to When should the Sox send Salty to the minors? When is enough, enough?:
    [QUOTE]Saltalamacchia almost cost the team the win with his passed ball & subsequent fumbling in the 8th inning as he displayed a complete lack of poise as he could not find the ball & allowed a LA run to score. Was last night the last straw? What would you do as GM? Saltalamacchia has three passed balls already this season and Red Sox pitchers have four wild pitches with him behind the plate. Opponents are 17 for 20 stealing bases against him and several of this throws have sailed into center field.
    Posted by FRGL27Rings[/QUOTE]

We here have a self admitted Yankee fan coming onto a Red Sox forum stating how poorly Saltalamachia is playing. Isn't this worse than Smiley-Beni coming onto his own forum and telling us that Jeter is having a bad year. Where are the many posters who were trashing Beni for being a homer? Why aren't they calling out Frankie, the Yankee. Why does Frankie get a free pass for trying to irritate Sox fans?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

The Red Sox won't send him to the minors until they can sign another catcher.  He definitely doesn't appear to be a good starting catcher yet and some additional time in the minors is probably what he needs.  Just don't believe their are many catchers available.  Varitek is getting older and can't catch everyday. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

FRGL27Rings is on the wrong forum and telling us about problems that we are already aware of. Is he stupid or just having fun trolling?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaGolfer. Show TampaGolfer's posts

If the Sox had gotten off to a great start, I would agree that Salty might be able to play and learn.  It's very apparent that all of the new guys are struggling, even AG, because of the high expectations for this team.  The problem is that Salty has to touch the ball on every play and my grandmother could steal on him....right now and he can't put any wood on a ball.

I honestly don't know if the pitchers trust him, that's too tough to call, as they would never admit it, at least publicly, so that's a moot point for now.

Have the starters pitched better to Tek, well yes, but the way they all started, that same grandmother could have expected better results behind the plate, than the 1st starts for all of the starters.

My suggestion is to bring up someone that has strong defensive abilities to see if they have the "it" factor.  Can they earn the confidence of the pitchers by throwing out a couple of runners?  Can they maybe at least appear that they have a clue when at bat?  Tek is pulling his head off of every pitch and has no idea what to do with 2 strikes and has surely helped the lousy % for hitting with runners in scoring position.

Pressure is a funny thing and it manifests itself in strange ways sometimes.  I know that CC will start to hit and once he does, watch out.  AG hasn't found his power stroke, but has helped win a game or 2 so no one is speaking out.  But Salty has done nothing of value in any game and only thown out 2 runners.  That can't continue if this team expects to win over the entire season.

I find it hard to believe that there isn't someone, somewhere who can catch the ball, throw it back to the pitcher and have a legitimate shot to throw out their fair share of runners.  I know that our pitchers are not the best at holding runners, but still.

I can stand minimal  hitting and strong defense or strong hitting and minimal defense, but we can't have both!

Just my thoughts!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Par Hunter,

I almost spit out my Tang when I read your post ... it was so close to what I was going to say!

I was going a little diffferently, but the idea's the same.

"(They will ship him to 'Tucket...) Just as soon as you stop blackening the Celtics  and admit you really like the Knicks ..."

:o)  A bit of a twist, but same idea.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmini. Show mrmini's posts

Another blunder by Theo.
    Mr Henry!!!!! between Theo & Francona there goes the RS Nation.
    It started in Fla and the Twins out drew them in attendance for
    the 1st time. Some one has to pull the trigger.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

In Response to Re: When should the Sox send Salty to the minors? When is enough, enough?:
    [QUOTE]Another blunder by Theo. Mr Henry!!!!! between Theo & Francona there goes the RS Nation. It started in Fla and the Twins out drew them in attendance for the 1st time. Some one has to pull the trigger.
    Posted by mrmini[/QUOTE]

Did Bosox-11 / BaseballDr / Bosox1941 all get banned?
    Click on memini's moniker
    Another anti-Tito Parrot
    Georom is proud of you.

Posted 4/23/2011 1:10 PM EDT
    Posted 4/16/2011 10:30 AM EDT
    Posted 4/10/2011 1:24 PM EDT
    Posted 4/9/2011 7:55 PM EDT
    Posted 4/8/2011 10:50 AM EDT

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Enough will be enough in Mid-May.  As Theo has said in the past, the season is divided into thirds of 54 games each

First 54 games for evaluation of current staff.

Second 54 games for tinkering with lineup, trading, and calling up prospects to assume regular play.

Third 54 games for the sprint to the finish.

In many respects, this is the team we have, and we were happy with it in Spring Training.  Salty is under a microscope because so much has been hyped about him. 

Well, maybe he can't live up to that hype. But he can be a decent catcher and he must improve his handling of the staff and his throws to the infield.  The rest will take care of itself.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

I don't recall any hype concerning Salty. Theo just hoped that a combination of Salty and Tek would suffice. So far it hasn't but we need to be patient.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: When should the Sox send Salty to the minors? When is enough, enough?:
    [QUOTE]Enough will be enough in Mid-May.  As Theo has said in the past, the season is divided into thirds of 54 games each First 54 games for evaluation of current staff. Second 54 games for tinkering with lineup, trading, and calling up prospects to assume regular play. Third 54 games for the sprint to the finish. In many respects, this is the team we have, and we were happy with it in Spring Training.  Salty is under a microscope because so much has been hyped about him.  Well, maybe he can't live up to that hype. But he can be a decent catcher and he must improve his handling of the staff and his throws to the infield.  The rest will take care of itself.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

Summer,

Outstanding post!  I'm not just speaking of positivity - or the posibility of the positive. 

You gave me an insight I did not have before on the 1/3's ... (There goes the myth that math has nothing to do with baseball and how to manage!  Ha!  A second myth falls to the wayside ... you're proving that Tito DOES think, does plan, does have goals and is willing to change them as needed!)

Really, I fully enjoyed the "AHA!" I had in your post.  Gratzi!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjgray. Show jjgray's posts

When should Sox send Salty to the minors?  2 weeks ago, but I'll settle for today!  He is not major league, (never mind Red Sox) talent.  Yipes!  Still bounces balls to 2nd, or over throws.  Texas & Atlanta good judges of talent gave up on him, but then again, they never get a "man love" like Theo does.

For those saying give him 4 more weeks....Pleaasseeeese......do you know how much damage could be done by then?  Tek at .040 is a problem as well....Theo is just going to have to give up some prospects (which would have cost him LESS in the off season with Napolli) and PAY, because they league, EVERYBODY (but Theo) knows Salty is a huge mistake.  A $180 Million dollar payroll  to win the Series THIS year, and this Bozo is behind the plate.  Are you paying (no pun intended) attention John Henry?