Where is the optimism for Kalish? Here is some.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Where is the optimism for Kalish? Here is some.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/985907-boston-red-sox-ryan-kalish-will-be-your-right-fielder-in-2012

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Where is the optimism for Kalish? Here is some.

In Response to Where is the optimism for Kalish? Here is some.:
    [QUOTE]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/985907-boston-red-sox-ryan-kalish-will-be-your-right-fielder-in-2012
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]
    Kalish had a lost season due to injury in 2011.  He looked like an excellent prospect before that.  There is reason to think that he will come back strong in 2012.  Sox will probably have to choose between him and Reddick , with one being traded. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Where is the optimism for Kalish? Here is some.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Where is the optimism for Kalish? Here is some. : Kalish had a lost season due to injury in 2011.  He looked like an excellent prospect before that.  There is reason to think that he will come back strong in 2012.  Sox will probably have to choose between him and Reddick , with one being traded. 
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Nice post, I agree completely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I'm a very optimistic person but, realistically, he's just another prospect isn't he?  24 before the season starts so not that young, 256 PAs in AAA & 179 in MLB and in neither was his performance excellent.

I wish him well, and hope he becomes a good player for us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think unless he completely tears up spring training Kalish starts the year in Pawtucket. 2014 Boegarts and Jacobs in the OF?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I think that between Kalish and Reddick the Sox will be able to replace the RF fiasco that the Sox had last year.  Use whatever money is available to add a starter and some BP help and maybe cheap 1-year bench players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think Kalish/Reddick (one way or another or split) is going to fill out RF for a year or two untill a Brentz/Jacobs type is ready to take over.  Unless their stock falls in which case I think the Sox will be in a better position to make a trade or sign a big name.....If I had to guess I'd say that's the plan. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

[QUOTE]I think Kalish/Reddick (one way or another or split) is going to fill out RF for a year or two untill a Brentz/Jacobs type is ready to take over.  Unless their stock falls in which case I think the Sox will be in a better position to make a trade or sign a big name.....If I had to guess I'd say that's the plan. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% with this post.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Kalish has been gone for awhile, but from what I remember of him, he did a great job while he was here. It would be hilarious if he turned out to be just what the Sox need next season since everyone is in such a panic to get a big name RFer. He has something to prove -- the most overlooked and undervalued statistic in sports.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

I love love love this kid. I was at his first ever start at fenway 2 July's ago. I love his defence and his offense will add to the lineup nicely. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

At least Kalish and Reddick are very good fielders. I hope one can hit over .800 (OPS) vs RHPs next year. That alone will improve our RF production immensely over 2011.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I'm a very optimistic person but, realistically, he's just another prospect isn't he?  24 before the season starts so not that young, 256 PAs in AAA & 179 in MLB and in neither was his performance excellent. I wish him well, and hope he becomes a good player for us.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

Kalish is an athletic kid that has, as he's accended up the ranks, competed against more mature players by design. Meaning that he's faced more advanced pitching. Last season was lost due to injuring his shoulder, so you can throw out his numbers from Pawtucket last year based on the sample size. However, If you take the entirety of his minor league career and look at his numbers projected over an 150 game season he's been a very productive hitter.

Scouting Report: Excellent athlete with a solid build, good bat speed, and lots of quickness. Plays the game at full tilt. The organization has worked with Kalish on his plate patience, and over time he has come to demonstrate an excellent approach at the plate. Average to above-average present power, has potential to add more. Makes solid contact and hits to all fields. Above-average speed. Steals a lot of bases due to his quick acceleration and high intelligence on the basepaths. In the field, he has a reliable glove, excellent range, an average arm, and average accuracy. Tough competitor with a mature demeanor. Kalish tends to be a very popular player with coaches, teammates, and fans. Plays all three outfield positions.  Likely projects as a corner outfielder at the major league level, but should be able to cover spot duty in center field. Missed part of 2007 season with a wrist injury that lingered throughout the 2008 season. 

A few keys...
    *He was drafted out of HS
    *Learn to hit the Red Sox way...meaning command of the strike zone.
    *His command of the strike zone suggest that he can continue to improve.
    *In his minor career his K/W ratio is 1.5 (Which is pretty good)...
    *His career on base % is about 80 points higher than his batting average.
    *He's an above average base runner with 40 steal ability (87% success rate)
    *With his speed, can score from 1st on a double...
    *His athleticism and toughness make him an outstanding defensive player.
    *Can play both CF and RF (though he doesn't have a cannon)...

That said, Kalish still has much to prove at the big league level, If given the opportunity to play every day, has the ability, based on his plate disipline to continue to improve. While he may never be a 900 plus ops guy with 30 homers. He could be a very tough out, once on base, with his speed, can put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses. Which benefits the guy hitting behind him...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Re: Where is the optimism for Kalish? Here is some.": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is the optimism for Kalish? Here is some. : Kalish is an athletic kid that has, as he's accended up the ranks, competed against more mature players by design. Meaning that he's faced more advanced pitching. Last season was lost due to injuring his shoulder, so you can throw out his numbers from Pawtucket last year based on the sample size. However, If you take the entirety of his minor league career and look at his numbers projected over an 150 game season he's been a very productive hitter. Scouting Report : Excellent athlete with a solid build, good bat speed, and lots of quickness. Plays the game at full tilt. The organization has worked with Kalish on his plate patience , and over time he has come to demonstrate an excellent approach at the plate.  Average to above-average present power, has potential to add more.  Makes solid contact and hits to all fields . Above-average speed. Steals a lot of bases due to his quick acceleration and high intelligence on the basepaths . In the field, he has a reliable glove, excellent range, an average arm, and average accuracy. Tough competitor with a mature demeanor.  Kalish tends to be a very popular player with coaches, teammates, and fans. Plays all three outfield positions.  Likely projects as a corner outfielder at the major league level, but should be able to cover spot duty in center field. Missed part of 2007 season with a wrist injury that lingered throughout the 2008 season.  A few keys... *He was drafted out of HS *Learn to hit the Red Sox way...meaning command of the strike zone. *His command of the strike zone suggest that he can continue to improve. *In his minor career his K/W ratio is 1.5 (Which is pretty good)... *His career on base % is about 80 points higher than his batting average. *He's an above average base runner with 40 steal ability (87% success rate) *With his speed, can score from 1st on a double... *His athleticism and toughness make him an outstanding defensive player. *Can play both CF and RF (though he doesn't have a cannon)... That said, Kalish still has much to prove at the big league level, If given the opportunity to play every day, has the ability, based on his plate disipline to continue to improve. While he may never be a 900 plus ops guy with 30 homers. He could be a very tough out, once on base, with his speed, can put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses. Which benefits the guy hitting behind him... Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE] This reads like a RS scout report, not an industry report? Kalish in Portland was the player described above. Kalish we saw in Pawtucket and in 50 games in Boston showed aggressiveness and occasional pop. Like so many players with limited PA's he was over matched with too many swing and misses. Of course he can overcome these issues, but Boston is not the place to work thru them. He reminds me of Nate McClouth. Who has been an all star, and also on the verge of out of the league. With so few PA's, why pressure Kalish to perform now? Give him another 200-500 PA's to see if he can take another step forward. To say heis the opening day OF is crazy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Kalish is a top prospect. But the key is the shoulder injury, from what I understand they are hoping for it to heal on its own instead of surgery. Did not have a cannon of arm before injury and playing RF in Fenway not easiest RF to play. With that all said he would have been RS RF last year if not for injury. He has more upside than Reddick, a terrific athlete who will hit for power and steal some bases w/ a good approach at plate [something Reddick does not have]. If he is healthy I will predict he's our starting RF by June 1. He has the ability to be next homegrown star, but injuries have derailed including wrist injury a few years ago. Lets hope he's healthy and can stay that way!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I witnessed Ryan Kalish's first MLB homerun (off Javier Vazquez on August 6, 2010, at Yankee Stadium):

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=10683877&c_id=mlb

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is the optimism for Kalish? Here is some. : Kalish is an athletic kid that has, as he's accended up the ranks, competed against more mature players by design. Meaning that he's faced more advanced pitching. Last season was lost due to injuring his shoulder, so you can throw out his numbers from Pawtucket last year based on the sample size. However, If you take the entirety of his minor league career and look at his numbers projected over an 150 game season he's been a very productive hitter. Scouting Report : Excellent athlete with a solid build, good bat speed, and lots of quickness. Plays the game at full tilt. The organization has worked with Kalish on his plate patience , and over time he has come to demonstrate an excellent approach at the plate.  Average to above-average present power, has potential to add more.  Makes solid contact and hits to all fields . Above-average speed. Steals a lot of bases due to his quick acceleration and high intelligence on the basepaths . In the field, he has a reliable glove, excellent range, an average arm, and average accuracy. Tough competitor with a mature demeanor.  Kalish tends to be a very popular player with coaches, teammates, and fans. Plays all three outfield positions.  Likely projects as a corner outfielder at the major league level, but should be able to cover spot duty in center field. Missed part of 2007 season with a wrist injury that lingered throughout the 2008 season.  A few keys... *He was drafted out of HS *Learn to hit the Red Sox way...meaning command of the strike zone. *His command of the strike zone suggest that he can continue to improve. *In his minor career his K/W ratio is 1.5 (Which is pretty good)... *His career on base % is about 80 points higher than his batting average. *He's an above average base runner with 40 steal ability (87% success rate) *With his speed, can score from 1st on a double... *His athleticism and toughness make him an outstanding defensive player. *Can play both CF and RF (though he doesn't have a cannon)... That said, Kalish still has much to prove at the big league level, If given the opportunity to play every day, has the ability, based on his plate disipline to continue to improve. While he may never be a 900 plus ops guy with 30 homers. He could be a very tough out, once on base, with his speed, can put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses. Which benefits the guy hitting behind him...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Hi Mrs Kalish, sorry Mrs. Kalish, I didn't mean to sound mean about Ryan.  I like him too.  But he simply has never shown great potential at any level relative to his age.  His best years have been at age 19 in low A, 21 at high A and 22 at AA.

I hope I'm wrong, and I wish him well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is the optimism for Kalish? Here is some. : Kalish is an athletic kid that has, as he's accended up the ranks, competed against more mature players by design. Meaning that he's faced more advanced pitching. Last season was lost due to injuring his shoulder, so you can throw out his numbers from Pawtucket last year based on the sample size. However, If you take the entirety of his minor league career and look at his numbers projected over an 150 game season he's been a very productive hitter. Scouting Report : Excellent athlete with a solid build, good bat speed, and lots of quickness. Plays the game at full tilt. The organization has worked with Kalish on his plate patience , and over time he has come to demonstrate an excellent approach at the plate.  Average to above-average present power, has potential to add more.  Makes solid contact and hits to all fields . Above-average speed. Steals a lot of bases due to his quick acceleration and high intelligence on the basepaths . In the field, he has a reliable glove, excellent range, an average arm, and average accuracy. Tough competitor with a mature demeanor.  Kalish tends to be a very popular player with coaches, teammates, and fans. Plays all three outfield positions.  Likely projects as a corner outfielder at the major league level, but should be able to cover spot duty in center field. Missed part of 2007 season with a wrist injury that lingered throughout the 2008 season.  A few keys... *He was drafted out of HS *Learn to hit the Red Sox way...meaning command of the strike zone. *His command of the strike zone suggest that he can continue to improve. *In his minor career his K/W ratio is 1.5 (Which is pretty good)... *His career on base % is about 80 points higher than his batting average. *He's an above average base runner with 40 steal ability (87% success rate) *With his speed, can score from 1st on a double... *His athleticism and toughness make him an outstanding defensive player. *Can play both CF and RF (though he doesn't have a cannon)... That said, Kalish still has much to prove at the big league level, If given the opportunity to play every day, has the ability, based on his plate disipline to continue to improve. While he may never be a 900 plus ops guy with 30 homers. He could be a very tough out, once on base, with his speed, can put a lot of pressure on opposing defenses. Which benefits the guy hitting behind him...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Good post. Thanks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

kalish/reddick can more than make up for JD in rf....didnt we learn in 2011 not to give up on talented youngsters because of injuiries?

2012 w/o tek, wake, lackey, jd, and francona sleeping in the dugout will be a much better product/team to follow