Where were you "experts" on this one?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Where were you "experts" on this one?

Today the Sox announced Reddick is coming up and McDonald is going down.  Yesterday I wrote in another thread that right now it would make sense to switch McDonald for Reddick because McDonald wasn't bringing much to the table and Reddick would be a good replacement for Drew if his latest injury lingers.  The Sox face mostly (75%) righty starters, which makes Reddick a better bet than McDonald or, for that matter, Cameron.   

I'm bragging a little, but mostly wondering why guys like moonslav and harness didn't anticipate this obvious move.  I say obvious because that's about all I am capable of anticipating. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Where were you "experts" on this one?

Jose Tavares, where are you??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I say acquire Beltran now - unload Drew in any way possible, Beltran plays rf/dh and Reddick plays rf when Beltran is dh'ing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Where were you "experts" on this one?:
    [QUOTE]I say acquire Beltran now - unload Drew in any way possible, Beltran plays rf/dh and Reddick plays rf when Beltran is dh'ing.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Really?  Eat Drew's contract and take on the giant contract of a player marginally better than him, if at all?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I say acquire Beltran now - unload Drew in any way possible, Beltran plays rf/dh and Reddick plays rf when Beltran is dh'ing.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]You want to sit Ortiz at DH to make room for Beltran??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

No I do not want to sit Ortiz, but Ortiz will sit some and Beltran can DH.... I prefer Beltran play in the field 90% of the time. I believe he is in the last year of his mega deal (I think).

No worries, Drew is on pace for 33 ribbies so why take a risk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Reddick is up because Drew is injured, not because Darnell is inept. When Drew is healthy, expect Reddick to go back to the minors to get regular playing time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

This isn't fantasy baseball. There are money considerations. And for the record, it doesn't make sense to bring up young guys if they're going to sit on the bench. They need to play every dAY. Remember the year Bill Hall had last year for us? That's because he was in the lineup everyday.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

"I say acquire Beltran now - unload Drew in any way possible, Beltran plays rf/dh and Reddick plays rf when Beltran is dh'ing. "

Is that what you did in MLB 2K11? because it's the only place this could happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Actually, according to the globe, Reddick is up because McDonald is injured along with Drew. Mo one predicted McDonald would be injured.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Where were you "experts" on this one?:
    [QUOTE]Today the Sox announced Reddick is coming up and McDonald is going down.  Yesterday I wrote in another thread that right now it would make sense to switch McDonald for Reddick because McDonald wasn't bringing much to the table and Reddick would be a good replacement for Drew if his latest injury lingers.  The Sox face mostly (75%) righty starters, which makes Reddick a better bet than McDonald or, for that matter, Cameron.    I'm bragging a little, but mostly wondering why guys like moonslav and harness didn't anticipate this obvious move.  I say obvious because that's about all I am capable of anticipating. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

This move is only obvious if Reddick sees playing time.  Calling him up to fill MacDonald's role is not productive to his development.  Playing all year at Pawtucket will be more useful in evaluating him as a potential replacemnt for Drew next year than riding the pine in Boston.

I think the more obvious move is to release MacDonald and bring Navarro (once off the DL) up for the season as a backup.  He is a productive RH bat and the Sox feel he can cover the infield and outfield positions.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It isn't fantasy baseball?  Really?  Thanks for reminding me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

see #6 Managing for Dummies

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

6) send struggling players to the dl - it removes the need to discipline them or confront them about their shortcomings

I think its the in thing to do - if someone is struggling then find (make up) anything you can to get them on the DL.  I am surprised they hadn't dicovered that Crawford had a lame left pinky and placed him on the 15 day.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]see #6 Managing for Dummies
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

aint nothin' new.  managers been doin' for years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

[QUOTE]It isn't fantasy baseball?  Really?  Thanks for reminding me.

Actually, this is a kind of fantasy baseball.  You go ahead and think of it any way you want. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Where were you "experts" on this one?:
    [QUOTE]Today the Sox announced Reddick is coming up and McDonald is going down.  Yesterday I wrote in another thread that right now it would make sense to switch McDonald for Reddick because McDonald wasn't bringing much to the table and Reddick would be a good replacement for Drew if his latest injury lingers.  The Sox face mostly (75%) righty starters, which makes Reddick a better bet than McDonald or, for that matter, Cameron.    I'm bragging a little, but mostly wondering why guys like moonslav and harness didn't anticipate this obvious move.  I say obvious because that's about all I am capable of anticipating. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]  GOOD CALL YOUNG MAN !!  YOU HAVE A GREAT FUTURE ON THIS BOARD !!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Where were you "experts" on this one? : This move is only obvious if Reddick sees playing time.  Calling him up to fill MacDonald's role is not productive to his development.  Playing all year at Pawtucket will be more useful in evaluating him as a potential replacemnt for Drew next year than riding the pine in Boston. I think the more obvious move is to release MacDonald and bring Navarro (once off the DL) up for the season as a backup.  He is a productive RH bat and the Sox feel he can cover the infield and outfield positions.  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

You are aware, of course, that Reddick is starting today against a righty.  Of course he is going to start against righties just as Drew would.  And, when Drew is fully recovered (and that could take awhile if Reddick gets hot), Reddick will go back to Pawtucket.  The point is, the Sox didn't really need two utility outfielders who both bat from the right side (and neither very well). 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Nava was released recently, wasn't he?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Bill-806, at 70, I might be a tad older than you. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from the--yazzer. Show the--yazzer's posts

i think JOHN HENRY has had enough "eating THEO'S contracts."
    unfortunately, DREW is here to stay until the season's over.

you can rationalize that JOHN HENRY spent 70 million dollars for a grand slam home run against CLEVELAND IN '07.
    that may have been the most expensive HR ever hit.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]see #6 Managing for Dummies
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]Not to interrupt the reference back to your other OP but this appears to be a slightly different manipulation of the DL than what I think you are suggesting.

The RS believe that Drew will miss a few games BUT not enough to cover the 15 day period they'd have to leave him on the DL.

So they are taking their 5th OFer 9their second in depth RH OF) putting him on the DL to get another LH bat in the line-up versus RH pitching. This violates one of the other rules from your OP of course which is make a line-up with alternating LH-RH with no regard to production.

While I don't think the move indicates an immediate and lasting change in the 25 man roster, it certainly shows that the RS are impressed with Reddick's progress since his last cameo visits to MLB.

Not to break the hearts of the sizable Drew-hating contingent here on BDC I do not think this move indicates the end of the Drew-era in Boston, that will likely occur at the conclusion of this year.  But if I were Drew I wouldn't sit what that hammy too long. His career trajectory is in a downward spiral and while the RS will patiently take his .350 OBP at the bottom of the BA order and wait for the usual JD Drew hot streak, if Reddick gets real hot all bets are off (see Scutaro for details). But trading Drew...pipe dream. The Rs aren't going to pay him to play for somebody else. And FWIW Beltran is somebody else's JD Drew, why go near him? 

What the move does say is that the RS do not have enough faith in Mike Cameron to put him in the line-up every day even for a few days as evidenced by today's line-up. I think they think his age is catching up to him finally.

Francona's careful comments about Darnell suggest the RS are on the fence about how valuable he is to them at this point in a sub role. But what is less clear to me is how it benefits Reddick's development to have him here once Drew returns to the line-up and how carrying 4 LH OFer when two of them struggle versus LH pitching benefits the team.

And BTW if it is a fantom injury as many of the posters believe, that conversation you think is being avoided is happening.   

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

As always, fivekatz makes the most sense.  Better than I, he articulated why I wrote yesterday I thought Reddick would move back to the Bigs. 

Now is a great time to find out if Reddick can finally hit MLB pitching because Drew is not coming back after 2011--nor is Cameron, nor is McDonald.  That leaves two outfielders--Ellsbury and Crawford--and plenty of room for bringing in new or "old" faces.

Plus, of course, I always like to see new/old guys from the farm system--the spice of watching the Sox over a long season.  Too bad Navarro was on the DL because I would have liked to have seen him. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

With Cameron and Drew the Red Sox already have a 22 million dollar RF, don't think adding Beltran's $$$ to that is really all that clever.

To the OP, nice call.  Reddick has been tearing it up and has shown good flashes with the big club in previous call ups.  Seems like Reddick and a RH bat to be named later could very well be the RF platoon next year when the afformentioned Drew and Cameron take huge paycuts to play elsewhere, or simply hang em up.