Which one of these players would you trade for and why...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Which one of these players would you trade for and why...

Josh Johnson or Justin Upton. Both are great talents and both would defintely help the Sox. If it were up to me, I think it is a no brainer. Johnson would be my call. Watching how the Tigers starting pithcers neutralized the Yankee hitters, was amazing. Upton would be a great bat and of to have, but this team- if they want to prosper from here on out, needs good, starting pitchers. Johnson to me, would be a wise move. Now I ask you, which one, would you choose if you were running the show, so to speak.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Which one of these players would you trade for and why...

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Josh Johnson or Justin Upton. Both are great talents and both would defintely help the Sox. If it were up to me, I think it is a no brainer. Johnson would be my call. Watching how the Tigers starting pithcers neutralized the Yankee hitters, was amazing. Upton would be a great bat and of to have, but this team- if they want to prosper from here on out, needs good, starting pitchers. Johnson to me, would be a wise move. Now I ask you, which one, would you choose if you were running the show, so to speak.

[/QUOTE]

smart money says upton because he is signed longer than johnson and has more potential than johnson (especially when you play most of your games in hitters parks). but getting upton means saying goodbye to jacoby and i'm not prepared to do that.

so i will go with johnson. we need someone to bolster our rotation and he can certainly do it

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

smart money says upton because he is signed longer than johnson and has more potential than johnson (especially when you play most of your games in hitters parks). but getting upton means saying goodbye to jacoby and i'm not prepared to do that.

so i will go with johnson. we need someone to bolster our rotation and he can certainly do it

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Neither. I don't like either one enough to sell the farm for them, which is what you would need to do to acquire them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

Just say no to Justin!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

They need to trade for Justin Time, Justin Case.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  I AGREE...JOHNSON!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Upton we need pitching more but I don't think Johnson is the answer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I like the other Upton (BJ) better if only because he is a free agent, is young, fields well, has more hitting potential than he has shown in Tampa, and will not cost any prospects.  He also may not find a real long term offer and might settle for a 2-3 year deal.

He may be the classic case of needing a "change of scenery", but he will need someone to connect to (big Papi?) to make the Boston connection work.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

I like the other Upton (BJ) better if only because he is a free agent, is young, fields well, has more hitting potential than he has shown in Tampa, and will not cost any prospects.  He also may not find a real long term offer and might settle for a 2-3 year deal.

B.J. Upton would not cost the Red Sox a prospect, but would cost the Sox the seventh pick of the second round of the June 2013 draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to charliedarling's comment:

B.J. Upton would not cost the Red Sox a prospect, but would cost the Sox the seventh pick of the second round of the June 2013 draft.

[/QUOTE]

we finished in the bottom 10 so we do not lose ANY picks when signing a FA

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

we finished in the bottom 10 so we do not lose ANY picks when signing a FA

Only the first 10 first-round picks are protected:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/05/qualifying-offers-for-free-agents.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

ah.... i stand corrected. thank you

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I prefer free agents to trades.  They both cost money , but trades will also cost you prospects.  With a trade , there is always the chance that you get the worst of it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i don't care how we aquire them as long as we get the right guys for the job. i have faith that BC will get it done

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would prefer getting someone like Hunter or Ichiro or both on two year deals or BJ Upton to play CF and trade Ells.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It depends on price.  For the same price tag, I'd choose Upton.

Reasons-

More upside

Good fit, since JJ might only be a #3

Longer contract

Good age

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Shields and Upton if it were up to me and I could only choose 2

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Neither one. That is unless you want to say bye bye to your top prospects for a 1)oft injured pitcher and 2) an inconsistent OF for 3 years that has "a ton of potential"...PASS on both...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Brett Anderson.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brett Anderson.

[/QUOTE]

Thats better

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

I am not so sure that Josh Johnson will cost the Red Sox that much in terms of prospects; certainly not as much as Justin Upton would.  The Marlins are in sell mode, will not re-sign Johnson after next year, and need several pieces to contend.  They just got Jacob Turner from the Tigers in the A. Sanchez trade, and have cost controlled arms coming up like they always seem to.  I'd go after him, injury risk and all.  When healthy he is more of a TOR pitcher than most others who are available.  I think he could be had w/our giving up the 3 B's (Bogaerts, Bradley, Barnes).

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Ells and Miller for Endrus and Holland and then flip them to Zona for Upton.