Whitney

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: Whitney

In Response to Re: Whitney:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : So true!!
    Posted by craig2174[/QUOTE]

so it wasn't the overdose of downs and painkillers that caused her to drown in her bathtub in her hotel suite then? two body guards and two assistance just outside the door never thought to knock and ask her if she was alright after being in there over an hour. yeah right. bobby brown caused this.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : baby sitting a drug addict is not easy and working for one must be a nightmare.  I would never second guess the security guards.  Bobby Brown although a train wreck was not even there.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

agreed. but still don't you find it kind of strange that she was in that bathroom for an hour without anybody in that suite knocking on the door to ask if everything was alright.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The 2 biggest water cooler conversations the past yr was, in this order:

1. Penn State-Paterno
    2. Whitney demise

Although Pittsburghers hate the Pats & were rooting for the Giants, the SB was a distant 3rd. Little mention of Amy Whinehouse though; perhaps a bigger shame, 'cause despite the drugs she was only in her mid 20s. Funny line (IMO)from her father during an interview at the Grammys yesterday: "I have the greatest ex-wife in the world"

Loved the ending of that show, with Paul McCartney, Diana Krall, Joe Walsh, Foo Fighters, Bruce, & many others : Abbey Road Side 2 Excerpt - this seems to be a common jam these days when Sir Paul shows up. The earlier stuff - Katy Perry, Chris Brown, the exorcism scene, etc: a little much; I'm getting old I guess.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Whitney : Therein lies the problem with Whitney Houston, in my estimation.  As talented as she was, most of her interpretations of songs were less about the proper feel and emotion of the song, and more about showing off her vocal prowess.  And that musical narcissism was reflected in her personal life, which ultimately brought about her premature downfall and now death.  Sadly, she will not be missed much as she had already been lost to the musical world through her own self-destructive behaviors and lifestyle. I prefer Karen Carpenter's singing.  She didn't have to dress up a note with thrills and trills and permutations.  She sang it straight, and the emotion seemed genuine.  When she died it really did leave a hole in the musical landscape (though I was never really a Carpenters fan at all). If Whitney's greatest achievement was "I Will Always Love You," then Karen's has to be "Superstar."   I cannot listen to "I Will Always Love You" from beginning to end, but I cannot not listen to the whole song once "Superstar" is playing.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Par, as I mentioned to you in another thread, I am no expert in music, and therefore can't really argue with you about whether she brought the proper feel and emotion to a song.  

I just know that I really enjoy her singing, and listening to her sing can spark emotions inside of me.   She has given me goosebumps and led me to tears through her singing.

FWIW, I very much like the Carpenters and "Superstar".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]I came across Whitney's National Anthem on Youtube last year.  I played it for my British wife who was new to the song( I teared up, she didn't).  We then played the 5 or 6 other big names  that come up on the side.  We both thought no one was even close. (The Marvin Gaye one is the coolest by far).
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

I agree, and I teared up when I listened to it also.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Whitney:
    [QUOTE]Reposted from the Music Forum; yes, I know it doesn't belong here When I first heard her renditions of  "Saving All My Love For You"  and  "The Greatest Love of All" , I was stunned. Unmatched  beauty, power, and  technique. Dionne Warwick was her cousin. Her demise was eeringly similar to Judy Garland's. In Judy's later yrs; her voice cracked on one occasion when she couldn't sing her signature song  "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" ; although a public appearance, she broke down and cried right there. At 40, she looked like 60. She died at 47.   Amy Winehouse was a loss also. Ever hear her duet with Tony Bennett doing Body & Soul? She sounds like Billie Holiday, another drug demise. Ditto Bonham, Moon, Hendrix, Joplin, Brian Jones, Morrison, Cobain, M-Jax, Brittany Murphy, Ledger, Bias, Belushi, Farley. If these aren't anti-drug statements, I don't know what is.

Another unfortunate loss for sure.  I said to my wife the day I heard Whitney married Brown, her career would spiral downward.  Regardless, Whitney made her own choices in life before, during and after the divorce.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

Hold up, hold up, hold up.....Imma let you finish but.....

With all due respect, she was a legend but she was also a crackhead. This should be no real suprise to anyone. I feel bad for the loss but the news has been nothing but her the last two days while 4,484 troops have died to date (in just Iraq alone.) 

I wish people had a little more perspective sometimes....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Hold up, hold up, hold up.....Imma let you finish but..... With all due respect, she was a legend but she was also a crackhead. This should be no real suprise to anyone. I feel bad for the loss but the news has been nothing but her the last two days while 4,484 troops have died to date (in just Iraq alone.)  I wish people had a little more perspective sometimes....
    Posted by stodknocker[/QUOTE]

You are correct. FWIW there is a youtube video of Whitney singing the National Anthem that has servicemen and their families in it saying what a great moment it was for them -- Whitney Houston sings the National Anthem -- Star Spangled Banner. Of course, it's no comparison to the lives lost in this ridiculous war.

The media, for whatever reason, doesn't really acknowledge the lives that are lost there, or the men and women who suffer injuries defending this country. I've never understood why that is exactly, and we are all bombarded with celebrity news. I guess shame on all of us.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

her demons aside, another young woman gone before her time...my heart goes out to BobbieChris..your Mom was an amazing talent...

13. This post has been removed.