Who goes now? Lava, Salty, both, neither....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Who goes now? Lava, Salty, both, neither....

I've been saying all summer long we'd probably trade Salty or Lava, and if we extended Papi, it would be a no brainer.

Since Ross hits RHPs better than lefties, it seems like Salty will be packing his bags any day now. You'd think softy would be happy, but no matter what happens, he'll call Ben an idiot.

Ross is way better than Ramon Hernandez was last winter. He's the same age Ramon was, and he cost a little less, yet somehow softy forgot he wanted RH last winter, and is calling this a bad deal.

Silly clown.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's valued between 4-5M p

He's valued as a career back bencher with a career high contract base of 1.7M and he's an old man. It's important to retain fluidity on the active roster and not blow budget space that by overpayind the market.

Now that the move has been made, though, there is no valid reason to do anything but put this old guy's defesnive package as the primary catcher until he breaks down, and unload Salty and his arbitration costs.

Frankly, if he doesn't uload Salty than he's more incomeptent than I thought was humanly possible.

What training does this guy have in markets?

[/QUOTE]

Ill stick to my facts on value and you keep your opinions.

Are you telling me that you had no idea that a good veteran catcher can mentor a young catcher? Training someone consists of sharing your knowledge, which Ross has plenty of in regards to being a catcher. Hes well respected throughout MLB.

You should understand that facts are more valid than your opinions.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

Varitek was an expensive mentor that didn't work out at all. It's not necessary to pay 6 million dollars to find a catcher mentor. Rick Dempsey will do that for less, and so will Varitek. The market for catcher mentors isn't 6 million.

[/QUOTE]

offer less and he would be more apt to shop around, obviously we need another catcher NOW because ben must have a deal in the works involving salty or lava. he could have let the market play out and sign him for a little bit less but then the deal involving lava or salty may have fallen through. open your eyes soft one

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Varitek was an expensive mentor that didn't work out at all. It's not necessary to pay 6 million dollars to find a catcher mentor. Rick Dempsey will do that for less, and so will Varitek. The market for catcher mentors isn't 6 million.

[/QUOTE]

Are you actually trying to look this dumb on purpose, or is a lack of baseball IQ part of your schtick too?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

are you actually trying to look this dumb on purpose for a reason?

[/QUOTE]

i don't think its his fault, kinda feel bad for the idiot.  clearly he has some sort of mental defect, and to top it all off he understands baseball as well as a cat understands the theory of relativity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

are you actually trying to look this dumb on purpose for a reason?

[/QUOTE]

i don't think its his fault, kinda feel bad for the idiot.  clearly he has some sort of mental defect, and to top it all off he understands baseball as well as a cat understands the theory of relativity.

[/QUOTE]

Its all part of his act here...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Salty should/will go......  The timing is right to get some value for those 25 HR's.......  Heck, he is not a good defensive catcher !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Salty should/will go......  The timing is right to get some value for those 25 HR's.......  Heck, he is not a good defensive catcher !!

[/QUOTE]

Agree. We won't make the play-offs so we may as well move out the players that don't offer tru long-term value when they are surpressing the youth movement.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

Catchers have high value these days, and we have so many high need areas

And one of them is catcher, you blathering bilger.

This move was incompetent, which will require Salty and his arbitration costs to be trade out of town ASAP. Ross will need to be the primary catcher. I expect the incopetent Cherry to pay arbitration costs for Salty. Since there's no turning back on 6 million for Ross, who now has the trade value of a used Obamamoters Chevy Volt, Ross needs to be the primary catcher to the old man breaks down like Varitek did, two years before they forced him out of MLB.

[/QUOTE]

They got the 36-year old career backup catcher Ross to be the backup catcher.  Why do you insist on making up nonsense like this?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I love watching Softy lose it. 3 mill bucks for the best back up catcher in baseball is a pretty good deal. I would hate to dump Salty's nearly 500 SLG for Lavarnway who we just don't know about.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why do you insist on making up nonsense like this?

Clowns are famous for doing just that: spewing nonsense.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love watching Softy lose it. 3 mill bucks for the best back up catcher in baseball is a pretty good deal. I would hate to dump Salty's nearly 500 SLG for Lavarnway who we just don't know about.

[/QUOTE]

well napoli is still an option.. we could move salty, start lava in AAA (or trade him too) and have a catching tandem of ross/napoli

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that we have a RH back-up, good glove, veteran catcher, how do we see this playing out.  I feel like the fact Salty is a switch hitter who we now know is capable of hitting 25 HR, he has to stay.  As painful as it was to watch him strike out at an alarming rate in long stretches last year, he isn't a terrible hitter when he isn't trying to hit it 600 feet.  There were times when his back wasn't quite healed where he actually looked better because he was trying to go the other way.  In addition, it seemed like he was more patient and starting to draw some walks toward the end of the season.  In addition, Lavarnway may be coveted by some team out there the way Montero was when Seattle gave up a great young for him.  If it means getting  Major league ready player in return that can help us this year and going forward, I'd explore trading him.  Swihart may be only 2 years away. Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

Check out Salty's clutch stats and get back to me. 25 HRs but only 59 RBIs? That is pitiful!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to cassvt2004's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that we have a RH back-up, good glove, veteran catcher, how do we see this playing out.  I feel like the fact Salty is a switch hitter who we now know is capable of hitting 25 HR, he has to stay.  As painful as it was to watch him strike out at an alarming rate in long stretches last year, he isn't a terrible hitter when he isn't trying to hit it 600 feet.  There were times when his back wasn't quite healed where he actually looked better because he was trying to go the other way.  In addition, it seemed like he was more patient and starting to draw some walks toward the end of the season.  In addition, Lavarnway may be coveted by some team out there the way Montero was when Seattle gave up a great young for him.  If it means getting  Major league ready player in return that can help us this year and going forward, I'd explore trading him.  Swihart may be only 2 years away. Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

Check out Salty's clutch stats and get back to me. 25 HRs but only 59 RBIs? That is pitiful!

[/QUOTE]

with how pitiful our team OBP was i wonder why there wasn't enough RBIs to go around?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

well napoli is still an option.. we could move salty, start lava in AAA (or trade him too) and have a catching tandem of ross/napoli

[/QUOTE]

I like Napoli as a first baseman. I would rather either Lavarnway or Salty at catcher over Napoli.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Check out Salty's clutch stats and get back to me. 25 HRs but only 59 RBIs? That is pitiful!.

Did you bother to watch the games this year? While it might not be saying much, since our whole team was weak "when it counted", Salty was one of our best clutch hitters this year.

Late & Close OPS (over 45 PAs):

1) 94 Pedey .786

2) 88 Ross   .768

3) 78 Salty  .725

4) 80 AGon .702

5) 51 Ortiz  .682

6) 47 Midd  .629

7) 98 Aviles .604

8) 52 Ellsb  .544

9) 52 Nava .479

RBIs in Late & Close:

1) Ross  15/88 PAs

2) Midd  10/47

3) Salty  10/78

4) AGon 10/80

5) Pedey 9/94

If you project Salty's Late & Close numbers to 640 PAs, his numbers would be:

HR  32

RBI 80

That's not bad for a .214 BA in these situations.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Check out Salty's clutch stats and get back to me. 25 HRs but only 59 RBIs? That is pitiful!.

Did you bother to watch the games this year? While it might not be saying much, since our whole team was weak "when it counted", Salty was one of our best clutch hitters this year.

1) 94 Pedey .786

2) 88 Ross   .768

3) 78 Salty  .725

4) 80 AGon .702

5) 51 Ortiz  .682

6) 47 Midd  .629

7) 98 Aviles .604

8) 52 Ellsb  .544

9) 52 Nava .479

RBIs in Late & Close:

1) Ross  15/88 PAs

2) Midd  10/47

3) Salty  10/78

4) AGon 10/80

5) Pedey 9/94

HR  32

RBI 80

[/QUOTE]

Ike's already made up his mind, based on nothing.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

sox basically gave him what he wanted because they needed to lock him up in order deal

I agree. I think Salty is going too...

[/QUOTE]

i hope you're right. more upside with lava than salty. i still believe lava will be a better than average hitter. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree Lav has more upside, but he has more downside too.  We know for a fact that Salty is a decent MLB catcher.  Not great, but 25 HR and improving defense is not bad for a 27-year old catcher.  His downside is 8 more years at or around that level.

Lav's downside is out of baseball in 3 years.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1) 94 Pedey .786  (-.011 from overall OPS)

2) 88 Ross   .768  (-.039)

3) 78 Salty  .725  (-.017)

4) 80 AGon .702   (-.110)

5) 51 Ortiz  .682  (-.344)

6) 47 Midd  .629   (-.206)

7) 98 Aviles .604  (-.059)

8) 52 Ellsb  .544   (-.138)

9) 52 Nava .479   (-.263)

RBIs in Late & Close:

1) Ross  15/88 PAs

2) Midd  10/47

3) Salty  10/78

4) AGon 10/80

5) Pedey 9/94

HR  32

RBI 80

[/QUOTE]

Ike's already made up his mind, based on nothing.

[/QUOTE]

And, to me the sign of a real clutch hitter is how much better he hits in the clutch vs his non-clutch PAs. Nobody on the Sox did better, but here's how they placed in clutch/overall differential:

1) 94 Pedey .786 (-.011 from overall OPS)

2) 78 Salty .725 (-.017)

3) 88 Ross .768 (-.039)

4) 98 Aviles .604 (-.059)

5) 80 AGon .702 (-.110)

7) 52 Ellsb .544 (-.138)

8) 47 Midd .629 (-.206)

9) 52 Nava .479 (-.263)

10) 51 Ortiz .682 (-.344)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats Sounds Good, And Ryan Fisk Is Going Hit 26 Hrs, LoL.........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ross/Lava could hit 26 HRs in 2013.