Who goes now? Lava, Salty, both, neither....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Who goes now? Lava, Salty, both, neither....

Now that we have a RH back-up, good glove, veteran catcher, how do we see this playing out.  I feel like the fact Salty is a switch hitter who we now know is capable of hitting 25 HR, he has to stay.  As painful as it was to watch him strike out at an alarming rate in long stretches last year, he isn't a terrible hitter when he isn't trying to hit it 600 feet.  There were times when his back wasn't quite healed where he actually looked better because he was trying to go the other way.  In addition, it seemed like he was more patient and starting to draw some walks toward the end of the season.  In addition, Lavarnway may be coveted by some team out there the way Montero was when Seattle gave up a great young for him.  If it means getting  Major league ready player in return that can help us this year and going forward, I'd explore trading him.  Swihart may be only 2 years away. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Who goes now? Lava, Salty, both, neither....

I think theyre going to let Lav start in AAA. Now, if an offer is made that they cant refuse, then OK. But other than that I think Lav remains with the Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think theyre going to let Lav start in AAA. Now, if an offer is made that they cant refuse, then OK. But other than that I think Lav remains with the Sox.

[/QUOTE]

southpaw,

I don't think anymore time in the minors will benefit Lav.  He needs to play along side someone who can actually teach him something.  Salty isn't that guy, so I would rather see Lav traded or have a chance to play in Boston with Ross.  Our catching situation has been pretty much useless from an offensive perspective since 07 other than Victor who could cover any one of three slots in the lineup and play decent defensively. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

southpaw,

I don't think anymore time in the minors will benefit Lav.  He needs to play along side someone who can actually teach him something.  Salty isn't that guy, so I would rather see Lav traded or have a chance to play in Boston with Ross.  Our catching situation has been pretty much useless since 07 other than Victor who could cover any one of three slots in the lineup and play decent defensively. 

[/QUOTE]

V-tek is in the organization so maybe he works with lava in AAA while salty/ross cover C for 2013?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

southpaw,

I don't think anymore time in the minors will benefit Lav.  He needs to play along side someone who can actually teach him something.  Salty isn't that guy, so I would rather see Lav traded or have a chance to play in Boston with Ross.  Our catching situation has been pretty much useless since 07 other than Victor who could cover any one of three slots in the lineup and play decent defensively. 

[/QUOTE]

V-tek is in the organization so maybe he works with lava in AAA while salty/ross cover C for 2013?

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, I certainly wouldn't sign Salty if he has another 280 OBP and high SO ratio without great support around him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ross has hit RHPs much better than LHPs the past 2 seasons and slightly better over his career, so that doesn't seem to match up with Salty's stronger hand in a L-R platoon.

I think Salty or Lava will be traded this winter, just as I predicted last summer. Catchers have high value these days, and we have so many high need areas.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ross has hit RHPs much better than LHPs the past 2 seasons and slightly better over his career, so that doesn't seem to match up with Salty's stronger hand in a L-R platoon.

I think Salty or Lava will be traded this winter, just as I predicted last summer. Catchers have high value these days, and we have so many high need areas.

[/QUOTE]

I agree moon, for some reason I just don't see Lav spending another season at Pawtucket.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/article/an_early_look_at_the_jarrod_saltalamacchia_market/12176947?new_post=true

Now that they’ve done it, the logic is apparent: The Red Sox can trade their most experienced (and most expensive) catcher, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, possibly to obtain the first baseman they covet.

In fact, an official with another club said Saturday that the Red Sox are willing to consider offers for Saltalamacchia, who hit a career-high 25 home runs this year but batted only .222 in part because of a high strikeout rate. If Boston general manager Ben Cherington trades Saltalamacchia, the Red Sox will use a combination of Ross and 25-year-old Ryan Lavarnway behind the plate.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now that we have a RH back-up, good glove, veteran catcher, how do we see this playing out.  I feel like the fact Salty is a switch hitter who we now know is capable of hitting 25 HR, he has to stay.  As painful as it was to watch him strike out at an alarming rate in long stretches last year, he isn't a terrible hitter when he isn't trying to hit it 600 feet.  There were times when his back wasn't quite healed where he actually looked better because he was trying to go the other way.  In addition, it seemed like he was more patient and starting to draw some walks toward the end of the season.  In addition, Lavarnway may be coveted by some team out there the way Montero was when Seattle gave up a great young for him.  If it means getting  Major league ready player in return that can help us this year and going forward, I'd explore trading him.  Swihart may be only 2 years away. Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

It will be Lavarnway either be traded or the minors. Ross has 40% pick off ratio, has good communication with pitchers and plays a consistent d catchers role which can balance the catching duel with Salty. I would rather see Lavarnway stay in sox nation then go on the block.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It will be Lavarnway either be traded or the minors. Ross has 40% pick off ratio, has good communication with pitchers and plays a consistent d catchers role which can balance the catching duel with Salty. I would rather see Lavarnway stay in sox nation then go on the block.

And when Ross' CS rate goes below 25 or  30 %, will people here finally realize that it's mostly the pitcher's and team philosphy's fault?

We may see Salty tarded and a Ross/Butler ML combo as Lava spends another year in AAA.

It's hard to say if Lava would bring more in trade, or who Ben values more, but my guess is one goes soon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm on your side SP777...Lavarnway should stay in the organization. Saltalamacchia won't be resigned unless he shows improvement and a solid 2013. Ross is a solid, yet temporary player (I am happy about the signing as I predicted it in my thread about the composition of the 2013 Sox). Lavarnway still holds value to the organization in both the near and long term. I don't see how people can say "Swihart is 2 years away" so Lava is expendable. Hate to break it to everyone, but Swihart was drafted out of high school and has not played above Single A ever. Not only that, but he didn't even have a standout season in Single A. Lavarnway has worked his way through the system achieving success at every level and is next in line for MLB action. Swihart should not be counted on in any way. He is a prospect in every definition of the word.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

this signing only makes sense if the sox have a deal in place for either salty or lava. My gut feeling is that salty is the one who will be dealt. Perhaps it could be a 3 team deal where the sox salty to one team that team sends prospects to the dbacks and the sox send a few prospects to the dbacks and get justin upton in return. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this signing only makes sense if the sox have a deal in place for either salty or lava. My gut feeling is that salty is the one who will be dealt. Perhaps it could be a 3 team deal where the sox salty to one team that team sends prospects to the dbacks and the sox send a few prospects to the dbacks and get justin upton in return. 

[/QUOTE]

or PG

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I initially thought that Lav would be the trade chip, but the more I think about, the more it makes sense that Salty would be the trade chip.  Salty is only under team control for one more year while Lav is under team control for 6 more years.  My understanding is that the FO is also very high on Lavarnway.

My personal preference would be to keep both of them for 2013 and let Lav at least start the year in AAA.  But it's looking more and more to me like we'll see a subsequent trade involving Salty soon.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would not rule out keeping all three moving Salty to 1 b to platoon with Gomez and having the availability of three catchers. It's the flexibility factor all managers like.

It's hard to find a catcher or even many 1 b's with over 20 dingers--Salty is worth something on the market and so is Lava with several years of team control.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I initially thought that Lav would be the trade chip, but the more I think about, the more it makes sense that Salty would be the trade chip.  Salty is only under team control for one more year while Lav is under team control for 6 more years.  My understanding is that the FO is also very high on Lavarnway.

My personal preference would be to keep both of them for 2013 and let Lav at least start the year in AAA.  But it's looking more and more to me like we'll see a subsequent trade involving Salty soon.

[/QUOTE]

That would be my preference to Kimmi. The more I read though, its looking more and more like Salty is the odd man out in this case. Although I think they should keep him around, Ive always said if they can get a return that immediately impacts the team and makes them better Im all for it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would not rule out keeping all three moving Salty to 1 b to platoon with Gomez and having the availability of three catchers. It's the flexibility factor all managers like.

It's hard to find a catcher or even many 1 b's with over 20 dingers--Salty is worth something on the market and so is Lava with several years of team control.

[/QUOTE]

Theyve already said that Salty at 1b is not going to happen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya no chance they keep all 3, seems like salty is on his way out. it was mentioned somewhere that a salty for john niese of the mets could be in the works. if the sox are smart they use salty to get a chip to deal to the dbacks in a justin upton deal. that way we would have to include less of our own prospects. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

the other thing that makes me think that a trade is on the horizon is the contract itself. the sox did not need david ross, and considering that they gave him 2 years for 6 mill to be the back up (which is pretty substantial for a backup) they must have something going down. that price would indicate that the sox basically gave him what he wanted because they needed to lock him up in order deal salty or lava (more likely salty). they couldnt risk not signing him and then dealing one of the catchers. if no trade was immanent, there would be no reason for the sox to give him that kind of contract. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

ya no chance they keep all 3, seems like salty is on his way out. it was mentioned somewhere that a salty for john niese of the mets could be in the works. if the sox are smart they use salty to get a chip to deal to the dbacks in a justin upton deal. that way we would have to include less of our own prospects. 

[/QUOTE]

Salty only has one year left then hes a FA. The Dbacks already have a catcher and are looking for a SS, 3b and pitching. They already mentioned Middlebrooks and Bogaerts to which BC probably hung the phone up on Towers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

the other thing that makes me think that a trade is on the horizon is the contract itself. the sox did not need david ross, and considering that they gave him 2 years for 6 mill to be the back up (which is pretty substantial for a backup) they must have something going down. that price would indicate that the sox basically gave him what he wanted because they needed to lock him up in order deal salty or lava (more likely salty). they couldnt risk not signing him and then dealing one of the catchers. if no trade was immanent, there would be no reason for the sox to give him that kind of contract. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think Salty is going too...

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Seriously? Who cares what Ross' trade value is, we didnt just sign him for 2 years to turn around and trade him...He's valued between 4-5M per, so we got a good deal. You dont really understand the dynamic of a veteran catcher mentoring a young catcher do you...Ross is one of the better defensive catchers in the game. Hes also good with the bat. Hes got a cs rate of 40%, and is one of the best pitch framers/callers in the game.

His leadership and knowledge of the game can only help improve our young catchers.