Bailey
    Carpenter*
    Jenks*
    Lackey*
    CC
    Ells
    Kalish*

* probably not an issue

What happens with guys like Punto, Gomez, Atch, Nava, Byrd, Miller, Hill, Buch, Beckett and Middlebrooks. The team may have finally jelled--we'll see in the next two weeks---what players have proven value enough to keep at the major league level.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Who goes when the Sox DL is empty?

Punto & Gomez to Pawtucket

Nava & Byrd could be great trade baits

Miller & Hill stays in BP

Buch & Beckett stays in the rotation whether you like it or not

Middlebrooks has to stay in the majors.  (question should be what will FO do with Youkilis, not Middlebrooks)

Cook, DMac, & Repko - Pawtucket (they will be recalled when someone goes down to DL)

Dice-K - he should be the swing man when he returns, one of our rotation guy stuggles, Dice-K should spot start.  could be trade bait for decent, almost major league ready prospect at the deadline. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Doesn't Dice-K pretty much have to take Buch's spot in the rotation?

Be nice to use some of the surplus of mediocre sp to improve the BP.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Who goes when the Sox DL is empty?:
    [QUOTE]Doesn't Dice-K pretty much have to take Buch's spot in the rotation? Be nice to use some of the surplus of mediocre sp to improve the BP.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

you wish is their command:  Andrew Miller

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Given the health of everyone, no Major Trades, and a few pertinent callups, this is the Roster I would like to see:
    STARTERS ; Lester, Beckett, Buchholz, Doubront, Bard and Dice K. Whoever isnt in the rotation would depend on health, performance and Schedule.
    PEN: Bailey, Morales, Miller, Aceves, Albers, Hill. 3 righties, 3 lefties and the remaining starter  or Melancon if a starter is DLed.
    REGULARS: Gonzalez, Pedroia, Aviles, Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, CC, Ells, Ross. Papi. 5 from the right side, 4 from the Left
    BENCH: Youk(1B,3B, LF), Salty(he fits better in platton than Shoppach), Sweeney, Nava(I like the spark he brings the team and I think he is the best hitter of the remaining). Obviously, this bench leaves us no Middle Infield backup, but callups would be available next day, so we are talking in game issues only. In a pinch, Youk would have to play second, Pedey at SS for a few innings. If Youk balks or fails at a reserve role, move him for a prospect and call up Iggy or Punto.

To me this Roster while maybe a little riskeier offers the most upside....and would be the most fun to watch this summer. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Players could be designated are Dmac, Miller, Cook and Prunto.
    Players to be send to minor league: Kalish, Repko, and Nava.

Once Youkilis come off of the DL, I strongly think that Boston could designate Prunto or Dmac so Boston can keep Middlebrook on the roster. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Punto is the only back up the RS currently have at SS and 2B. As a utilty guy he is probably pretty safe. Byrd or DMac are pretty vulnerable guys when Ells and or CC come off of the DL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Players could be designated are Dmac, Miller, Cook and Prunto. Players to be send to minor league: Kalish, Repko, and Nava. Once Youkilis come off of the DL, I strongly think that Boston could designate Prunto or Dmac so Boston can keep Middlebrook on the roster. 
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

There is no way they are going to designate Miller. I think definitive designates
    are DMAC (100%) and Punto isn't far behind.

DMac probably won't see the light of day on the Fenway outfield anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I don't think Punto will be DFA'd because of the two year contract as others have stated. I think Punto  would be  a trade candidate perhaps after inter league play.

It is interesting that Gomez was brought up--he was scolding hot until about  two weeks ago when his average started falling about 30 points yet Iggy and Lavarnway both have been on the rise and Ciriaco is hitting over .350. Go figure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Punto is the only true back the Sox have in the infield unless you bench Aviles for Iglias.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Agree DMac is a goner.  Punto could get shipped in favor of Ciriaco who is hitting and has added value as a pinch runner.  But given that Punto has a long solid MLB career that easily qualifies him as a good utility player and the team has 3m committed to him through 2013, I can't see a DFA based on about 50 ABs of bad hitting.  But if a trade opportunity comes up I could see him being shipped out.

With Miller it depends.  He had 14 walks in 11 IP at AAA but appears to have magically found the strike zone somewhere between Pawtucket and Boston.  It's really not hard to imagine him reverting to old form and given the depth of the BP he'd get a one way ticket via trade or DFA.  I won't even pretend I have any idea of the machinations involving the sheer volume of other pitchers we have.  Definitely some trades will be coming soon.  Until then, we will live with the frustration that some of our most promising RPs have options and will be spending time in AAA to accommodate the others.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Punto is the only back up the RS currently have at SS and 2B. As a utilty guy he is probably pretty safe. Byrd or DMac are pretty vulnerable guys when Ells and or CC come off of the DL.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]
    Brilliant.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Bailey is now getting close to start throwing, Youk is rehabbing, Dice is down to two maybe three starts with the PawSox, DMac and Cook are probably a week away from the end of their 15 days.

I think we may see a trade or two to open up some slots. PTBNL in return perhaps for some of these players or DFA...any thoughts on who should stay?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Not sure Bailey is that big a deal with the current bullpen doing so well.  Heck, I'd probably bring back Mortensen before Bailey, who just might be good trade bait.  I mean, that's why the Sox went after him, right? 

Just to show how dumb I am, I'm going with Youk at 3B and Middlebrooks as the backup infielder or maybe back at Pawtucket.  After a fantastic start, he is showing some rough edges at bat and in the field.  Youk has a terrific track record when he is healthy, April notwithstanding.  Punto stays as the other backup IF because I see just one backup OF.  I might even consider bringing up Iglesias to replace Punto, but only if Bobby V can get him onto the field and not the bench.  Maybe Aviles could be the 3d outfielder now and then against lefty starters. 

For catcher, I'm staying with Salty/Shoppach just as they are now even though I love the idea of bringing up Lavarnway.  He needs more time at Pawtucket. 

I love what the Sox are doing to try and mitigate CC and Ells's absences.  When they return, the four outfielders should be CC, Ells, Nava, and probably Ross, but only because he hits from the right side.  I wouldn't complain with Sweeney for Ross. McD and Byrd can't hit a lick. If Nava goes cold, Sweeney stays. The Sox have at least a month to figure this out.

I think Matsuzaka will have a tough time legitimately cracking this rotation.  The team ERA has been falling steadily for about two weeks now. All five can go at least five innings and two or fewer runs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

They should go w/ 4 OF'ers

Ellsbury, Ross and Sweeney for sure

Those are your starters

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

A better question is : Will the D.L. ever be empty ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]A better question is : Will the D.L. ever be empty ?
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Nope. It's a tool to manipulate both the 25 and 40 man roster.
    Remember when the Sox acquired Penny and Smoltz? Wake went on the DL to give those guys opportunities to start some games in 2010.
    I would say that 30% of the players on the DL at any given time, don't need to be.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Who goes when the Sox DL is empty?:
    [QUOTE]Let's see we have: 15 Day DL: Cook Dice Youk DMac* Repko* 60 Day DL: Bailey Carpenter* Jenks* Lackey* CC Ells Kalish* * probably not an issue What happens with guys like Punto, Gomez, Atch, Nava, Byrd, Miller, Hill, Buch, Beckett and Middlebrooks. The team may have finally jelled--we'll see in the next two weeks---what players have proven value enough to keep at the major league level.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

MadMc - what the %*&%^ is Beckett's name doing in there?  Seriously, it's an interesting post about the roster problems looming, but adding Beckett's name to that largely motley crew is just silly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I keep wanting to say goodbye to Punto but then he plays good "D." If they could use him to bunt people over and be a solid back up--I wouldn't care if he ever got a hit.

I think some ground work will be laid for a trade this weekend in Philly. It wouldn't surprise me if Aviles becomes the 4 th OF  and Iggy takes over @ SS.

Sweeney or Byrd will be traded soon.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Who goes when the Sox DL is empty?": [QUOTE]I keep wanting to say goodbye to Punto but then he plays good "D." If they could use him to bunt people over and be a solid back up--I wouldn't care if he ever got a hit. I think some ground work will be laid for a trade this weekend in Philly. It wouldn't surprise me if Aviles becomes the 4 th OF  and Iggy takes over @ SS. Sweeney or Byrd will be traded soon.   Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE] Are you serious? Sweeney is the best defensive outfielder we have by a mile, he's been hitting pretty well all year, he makes little money, he's still young and they've been trying to trade for the guy for about 3 years. What makes you think he is going to be traded?! Byrd's next "transaction" will be a release, not a trade....