Who is the leader of this Red Sox club?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

Who is the leader of this Red Sox club?

Sorry if this question has been asked already but I don't read the boards much anymore. Anyway I believe this team will continue to struggle all year because they have no club house leadership. Pedroia is the only one I can think of that has the cache, and gumption within the locker room to rally the troops so to speak, but he still seems to be Team Francona. I don't think the full squad is as bad as their record suggests, but with no leadership they may not be able to dig themselves out once they do have a full lineup. So, who, if anyone is the leader on this team? Love him or hate him, I think Schilling would've called a few of these guys, and ownership out already.

In addition, I can't put my finger on it, or put it into words but most other teams and organizations for that matter seem to carry themselves with a certain swagger, and more confidence than these Sox.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Who is the leader of this Red Sox club?

Ortiz and Pedroia

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the same guy who led his entire starting pitching staff to drink beer, eat chicken and play video games on their off days....

you reap what you sow

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

Ortiz has never struck me as a leader, no more than Manny did. He's a great hitter, but leader....? I would expect it to be Pedroia, but he seems stuck in 2011. Bobby V was right in what he said about Youk, DP shouldn't have disgreed with him in such an open, and frankly kind of rude manner. And no personally I didn't think BV was wrong for saying it, these guys have been coddled for years and its about time they shaped up, and in some cases, are shipped out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Ortiz is leading by example.  He's hitting the cover off the ball and hustling on the bath paths. Plus, he has that "swagger" that you mentioned and he is pretty open and available to the media and the fans........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

Beckett needs a change of scenary. I think it has to be Lester. He needs to step up in the club house, and on the field. Either ish (become the Ace we all expected you to become) or get off the pot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

In Response to Re: Who is the leader of this Red Sox club?:
    [QUOTE]Ortiz is leading by example.  He's hitting the cover off the ball and hustling on the bath paths. Plus, he has that "swagger" that you mentioned and he is pretty open and available to the media and the fans........
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, yes he got into good shape, and is hustling more than ever but me thinks at this point he's continually playing for his next contract. Has he spoken out to the media in terms of passion, and fire? Has he put feet to the fire? No one seems to be stepping up and saying (or demanding) that players be accountable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

JOHNNY PESKY  !!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the leader of this Red Sox club? : Fair enough, yes he got into good shape, and is hustling more than ever but me thinks at this point he's continually playing for his next contract. Has he spoken out to the media in terms of passion, and fire? Has he put feet to the fire? No one seems to be stepping up and saying (or demanding) that players be accountable.
    Posted by scauma09[/QUOTE]

well, I am not sure if this is the right time.  the only ones that need to be called out are the starters - Buck in particular.  What do you want him to say?  "Looks guys we wouldn't be nearly as bad right now if Buck didn't suck so much".....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

nobody

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is the leader of this Red Sox club? : well, I am not sure if this is the right time.  the only ones that need to be called out are the starters - Buck in particular.  What do you want him to say?  "Looks guys we wouldn't be nearly as bad right now if Buck didn't suck so much".....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Maybe not an indivual, but the collective. Good point though. And i'm biased with Buch, he's been my favorite pitcher since before his no-hitter. I've never been able explain why but i've said he'd win the most games, every year since then. Obviously i've been wrong but here's to hoping he pulls through this long slump.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

I suppose Pedroia is really the only one who could command respect from the rest of the team, but him disrepecting Valentine like he did was not the act of a leader.
    Ortiz would be my next choice, but being a DH only, it's harder for him to emerge as a leader, even though I think he has the best interest of the team at heart.

This seems to be a carry-over from last year in that there appears to be a lack of chemistry on this team. I think it might be a little better, and I really thought after the great road trip, things were shaping up. But we are looking like a better road team than home team this year.
    Maybe they should put the chicken and beer back in the clubhouse.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

John Henry

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

pedroia because he tells the manager how things are done here....Beckett CAN MISS A START TO PLAY 18 ROUNDS....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

M-I-C-K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sorry, but I'm not buying it.  All the leadership in the world doesn't help that batter at the plate or the pitcher on the mound. When the Sox play at Fenway they have 37,000 fans roaring their approval, etc, but they have a losing record at Fenway and a winning record on the road. 

The bullpen has already righted itself--that one pitch by Albers last night notwithstanding--and have been very good for about 15 games.  The hitters, despite the absence of Youk, CC, and Ells, are among the leaders in runs scored in the AL. 

The starters are the problem, and I just don't see how a clubhouse leader--positive or negative--has any real effect on that.  No starter wants to go out on that mound and stink things up. 

I think the best leader on the club is AGon, and he keeps to himself, but he plays with immense skill and presence of mind. That throw home last night to prevent the run was a gamble and took a great throw. That's leadership.  I like Pedroia a lot and thinks he too sets a heck of an example in the field and at the plate, but I don't think his banter is necessarily inspiring everyone else. 

I think Middlebrooks example, if he can stay healthy, is a huge boost to this team, without him saying a word. 

Youk loves to speak his mind, but whatever he says has little value if he can't deliver on the field of play. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I just thought of a good leader--Frank Robinson after he left the Reds and went to the Orioles.  Great player who delivered on the field, but also a leader in the clubhouse who reportedly held hearings after games about who screwed up and who played great, but did it all in fund.  Kept guys loose, but also focused. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The leader is an empty locker.