Who is your Game 1 playoff starter in right field -should Theo make a waiver wire trade?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Who is your Game 1 playoff starter in right field -should Theo make a waiver wire trade?

Reddick
    Drew
    McDonald
    Kalish
    Waiver Wire Deal_______________________

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Re: Who is your Game 1 playoff starter in right field -should Theo make a waiver wire trade?

Rotate Redick and Mcdonald.  They are at least adequate defensively.  Not counting on drew or waiver wire deal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Who is your Game 1 playoff starter in right field -should Theo make a waiver wire trade?

We know what Reddick can do, and he seems the best choice.

We know what McDonald and Drew could do, okay defense, no offense. So that's out.

Kalish , would be a gamble.

Your not going to get anyone decent in a trade this time of year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

JD "Mr. October" Drew

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Yeah, we know Reddick is crashing like the stock market.
    .240 for August and .250 since the All-Star break and 4-34 now.
    If Drew did that before this season, you'd all want to ride him out of town on the next train, boat or plane.
    I'd put Drew back in the lineup when he's able, and see if he can contribute.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

jd drew...believe it or not - he's the best of the lot - but i appreciate what reddick has done...he's a keeper and will grow into a pretty good player - i like his speed and competitiveness...he will see playing time regardless

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Who is your Game 1 playoff starter in right field -should Theo make a waiver wire trade?:
    [QUOTE]If Drew did that before this season, you'd all want to ride him out of town on the next train, boat or plane.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

But Drew did that for 4+years, and for a lot more money.

You're wrong though. I wouldn't want to "ride him out of town."

I'd position snipers on tall buildings or poison his drinks to make sure he never gets to town in the first place.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Who is your Game 1 playoff starter in right field -should Theo make a waiver wire trade?:
    [QUOTE]JD "Mr. October" Drew
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Drew would be the best defensive option, but he has been terrible offensively this year.  It would be great to see him play a few games before the end of the season and suddenly start hitting again.  I am just trying to remain optimistic about Drew. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is your Game 1 playoff starter in right field -should Theo make a waiver wire trade? : Drew would be the best defensive option, but he has been terrible offensively this year.  It would be great to see him play a few games before the end of the season and suddenly start hitting again.  I am just trying to remain optimistic about Drew. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

haha.  I hear ya Susan.  Here is a pinch of Drew optimism for you:  Drew will succeed in OCtober, BECAUSE ... the same flabbergasting sleep/calm that causes him to watch countless strike threes whizz past him and the lazy half-hearted swings at breakers in the dirt, this sleep/calm, when juiced by the natural excitement of playoff baseball, puts JD in the perfect calm-to-poise ratio for big moments.  Expect big things Susan.  

... or not ...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Drew ... if he is 100%

Count on him going out with a bang ... this will be his last year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Who is your Game 1 playoff starter in right field -should Theo make a waiver wire trade?:
    [QUOTE]Reddick Drew McDonald Kalish Waiver Wire Deal_______________________
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]

My bet is Reddick or Dmac depending on the pitcher.  If it's Reddick and he even shows one bad game Francona will give it back to Drew.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Hunter Pence. 

Oh, wait....  that ship already sailed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Unfortunately for us, and the Sox, I don't feel Reddick had been given enough at bats when he was Hot. When he seemed to be locked in was the time for him to get regular playing time against righties and lefties and that would have given him more at bats against left handed pitchers to see if he could get the job done. Management thought better of it and, just like Lowrie earlier in the season, they managed to cool off a hot hitter. Who can tell what kind of hit your confidence takes when your hitting the cover off the ball and you get platooned with a guy batting .170 ?? I'm still liking Reddick as the Everyday Right Fielder, at least for the remainder of this season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

To repeat myself, McDonald is like the corpse that keeps sitting up at its own funeral, while Reddick is like the prince who fainted at his own investiture.
    If Reddick doesn't hit much better between now and the playoffs -- assuming Boston's presence -- I'd go with Drew. If McDonald continues his recent trend, I'd go with him against a lefty. Unless there's a surprise, there will be only slim pickings on the waiver wire.
    One way or another, rightfield does not figure to be a strong spot for the Sox in the playoffs. I also think that Reddick has been prematurely assigned the job for next year by some fans. I suspect that the position will be wide open.
    Leftfield against lefties -- and maybe against righties too -- also does not figure to be a strong point for the Sox. It's an odd and unhappy situation when a club cannot count on much from its corner outfielders. Maybe they'll surprise us.
    Meanwhile, Ellsbury is still "sore." Let's hope that's all.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]JD "Mr. October" Drew
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

+1  No doubt.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is your Game 1 playoff starter in right field -should Theo make a waiver wire trade? : But Drew did that for 4+years, and for a lot more money. You're wrong though. I wouldn't want to "ride him out of town." I'd position snipers on tall buildings or poison his drinks to make sure he never gets to town in the first place.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Your hatred of Drew seems beyond the scope of baseball. IMO

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Drew ... if he is 100% Count on him going out with a bang ... this will be his last year.
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is your Game 1 playoff starter in right field -should Theo make a waiver wire trade? : Your hatred of Drew seems beyond the scope of baseball. IMO
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

There seem to be a lot of reasons why Drew isn't well liked by fans.

First of all, he's represented by Scott Borass, maybe the most detested of all agents and the one who's partly (?) responsible for what Drew has done with his career.

Holding out for a contract />$10MM as a rookie and, when St. Louis refused to pay it, going to an independent league made him appear egotistical and self-centered.

Later he signed a 5 year contract with the Dodgers, missed half the first year after being hit in the hand by a pitch, and later exercised a two-year opt-out of that 5-year contract with them.  That hurt his public image there some too.  As late as two months before he exercised that option he had told the LA media how happy he was to be in LA and ownership and the fans felt blindsided by his leaving.

He somehow parlayed a couple of clutch HR's and half a good offensive season and stellar defense (when he wasn't hurt) during a 5-year contract with the Sox into having some people think he was worth the contract he was getting.

Drew's lack of toughness, his lack of effort, and his lack of emotion has always been questioned during his entire career.

Two negatives stick out in my mind during his tenure here. 
    - He was at bat when Ells stole home against the Yankees, and Drew didn't even smile.  I like a little more emotion than that from my players.  Maybe that's why I like Julian Tavarez.  :-)
    - He got his FIRST walk-off hit with the Sox this year.  Amazing, huh?

OTOH, The argument can be made that the Sox knew what they were getting - and got it - when they signed Drew.  Most of his offensive #'s were about what one would expect from him based on his career and he's been a much better than average RF'er.

His problem may be that given how hard the Sox pursued him and how much they paid him, he didn't live up to the fan's expectations that many (including myself) expected more from him when he came here.  Many of us expected a 35/125 guy for the $10MM/year he was getting and we didn't get that.  Instead we got a guy with solid, but unspectacular numbers who played good defense.

Who's right?  You decide.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

ALagatorAL, ....Right on the money with your perception of the Reddick situation. The only guy that could stop Reddick was Francona and he's done a pretty good job of it. Reddick sits if favor of guys that never even played the OF in the Major Leagues,Aviles and A-Gon and probably more to come.Nothing like taking a 24yr.old Rookie and telling him he can't hit lefties. When RF blew up back at the end of May, Reddick was 4 or 5 on the depth chart after JDD,Cameron,DMAC,and Kalish. When a team can go this deep to get a quality replacement player and have him fill in like Reddick has for 50 or so games they should consider themselves damn lucky. It's a learning experience for this kid. He has the tools,we're just seeing some of the things he's capable of.  He'll get better but he needs time. Some feel that JDD is better defensively than Reddick, I do too. Reddick is a 24 yr. old kid compared to a 35 yr. old veteran player JDD. JDD has played RF for the RS for the last 5 yrs.. This kid may not have 30 games in RF to date. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

I know Francona is an easy target for everyone, but isn't it possible that the league has had an opportunity to scout Reddick more effectively over time, and perhaps this is, in part, a reason for his decrease in average?  Or perhaps Reddick is just coming back to earth.  It happens.  If he were such a good hitter, then sitting a game here and there would not impact him that drastically.  

With regards to Aviles playing the outfield, it seems that he had a great average against the opposing pitcher during one of those games (not sure how many games he has played OF with the Sox) - and the AG outfield experiment was in direct response to interleague play not going the way we had hoped - they were losing games and needed to get more offense into the line-up.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is your Game 1 playoff starter in right field -should Theo make a waiver wire trade? : There seem to be a lot of reasons why Drew isn't well liked by fans. First of all, he's represented by Scott Borass, maybe the most detested of all agents and the one who's partly (?) responsible for what Drew has done with his career. Holding out for a contract />$10MM as a rookie and, when St. Louis refused to pay it, going to an independent league made him appear egotistical and self-centered. Later he signed a 5 year contract with the Dodgers, missed half the first year after being hit in the hand by a pitch, and later exercised a two-year opt-out of that 5-year contract with them.  That hurt his public image there some too.  As late as two months before he exercised that option he had told the LA media how happy he was to be in LA and ownership and the fans felt blindsided by his leaving. He somehow parlayed a couple of clutch HR's and half a good offensive season and stellar defense (when he wasn't hurt) during a 5-year contract with the Sox into having some people think he was worth the contract he was getting. Drew's lack of toughness, his lack of effort, and his lack of emotion has always been questioned during his entire career. Two negatives stick out in my mind during his tenure here.  - He was at bat when Ells stole home against the Yankees, and Drew didn't even smile.  I like a little more emotion than that from my players.  Maybe that's why I like Julian Tavarez.  :-) - He got his FIRST walk-off hit with the Sox this year.  Amazing, huh? OTOH, The argument can be made that the Sox knew what they were getting - and got it - when they signed Drew.  Most of his offensive #'s were about what one would expect from him based on his career and he's been a much better than average RF'er. His problem may be that given how hard the Sox pursued him and how much they paid him, he didn't live up to the fan's expectations that many (including myself) expected more from him when he came here.  Many of us expected a 35/125 guy for the $10MM/year he was getting and we didn't get that.  Instead we got a guy with solid, but unspectacular numbers who played good defense. Who's right?  You decide.   
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

I would question how many of "Drew's" decisions were actually made by him, and not his agent. Fans sometimes act like a guy shows up and demands the salary that he wants. Doesn't the agent do that, and get a piece of it? I think Boras sold Werth to the Nationals, and I would bet, he didn't want to go there. If you saw the press conference, he looked completely shocked and robotic. The Phillies to the Nationals? But, again, doesn't that benefit Boras since he gets part of the deal? I've also heard that, if a player is offered an exorbitant amount of money, they can't refuse because of the players' union. I'm not sure I would hold anyone responsible for what Boras does. He's in a league of his own.

FTR, when Ells stole home, he had a one-year-old son in a full-body caste at home. Can you imagine a one-year-old in a full-body caste? I'm not sure how much emotion a father would show when his thoughts may have been elsewhere. He was playing, but I'm sure his heart was broken, and he had more on his mind than just what was happening in that game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Extend Ellsbury at 143M, and go with an all lefty OF because most pitchers are Rh. No need for a Rh bat, and Mac and AViles have been impressive.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who is your Game 1 playoff starter in right field -should Theo make a waiver wire trade? : I would question how many of "Drew's" decisions were actually made by him, and not his agent. Fans sometimes act like a guy shows up and demands the salary that he wants. Doesn't the agent do that, and get a piece of it? I think Boras sold Werth to the Nationals, and I would bet, he didn't want to go there. If you saw the press conference, he looked completely shocked and robotic. The Phillies to the Nationals? But, again, doesn't that benefit Boras since he gets part of the deal? I've also heard that, if a player is offered an exorbitant amount of money, they can't refuse because of the players' union. I'm not sure I would hold anyone responsible for what Boras does. He's in a league of his own.

FTR, when Ells stole home, he had a one-year-old son in a full-body caste at home. Can you imagine a one-year-old in a full-body caste? I'm not sure how much emotion a father would show when his thoughts may have been elsewhere. He was playing, but I'm sure his heart was broken, and he had more on his mind than just what was happening in that game.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

At last someone seems to be coming around to my way of thinking that Borass is negotiating for Borass and not for the players.  I'm hoping that Ells figures that out too and tells Borass to 'take a hike' before negotiations start.