who knew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

who knew?

Pitching would dominate the postseason.  The two finalists also have the two best postseason ERA's--St Louis, 2.69; Sox, 2.70.  Not so surprising for the Cardinals, who had one of the top 5 ERA's during the regular season, but the Sox ERA was 14th in MLB.  

But in the postseason the Sox bullpen has been mostly lights out, and Farrell has been more than willing to use them.  In game 4 of the WS when the Sox were down 2-1 in games, he took Buchholz out for a pinch hitter in the 5th inning.  Plus Lester has been terrific and Lackey pretty good.

It helps the pitchers to have all those days off within and between series. 

What also seems to be true is that the Sox pitching was toughened up by almost always facing opposing DH's plus playing half their games at hitter-friendly Fenway.  They are better than their regular season ERA indicates. 

Tonight's game is likely to be another battle between pitchers, Wacha vs. Lackey.  Wacha to date has easily been the best starter of the entire postseason.  His fastball/changeup combo with the occasional curveball have been mesmerizing hitters, ours included. 

As good as Lackey has been and as good as the Sox have been overall in the postseason--a 10-5 record--the smart money has to be on Wacha tonight.  I think this World Series is going to 7 games. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: who knew?

Good post, except for the part about the smart money being on Wacha. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Lackay has a chance to go from being one of the most reviled players in recent memory, to one of the most revered.

We lnow he can pitch well enough to keep them in the game.

The Sox offense has to figure out Wacha.

I hope they don't wait for Ortiz to hit one out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

pitching = parades

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i like our veteran approach to hitting the second time around against wacha.

jump him early and often.

parade on friday.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Thanks for the responses, especially the ones saying our guys can hit Wacha. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks for the responses, especially the ones saying our guys can hit Wacha. 

[/QUOTE] I think our guys can hit Wacha as well, but only when they're up there swinging. We take far too many called 3rd strikes. It used to be that players were taught to foul off close pitches with 2 strikes. I understand the thinking about getting the pitch count up but it drives me nuts, especially with runners on base, when I guy just stands and looks at a called strike 3. Aside from Papi this team is hitting .151. That's a pretty shocking number but I guess it tells us how good the pitching staff has been to be up 3-2.