Who Knows Ellsbury better, Softlaw or Magadan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Who Knows Ellsbury better, Softlaw or Magadan?

“I got a lot of strange looks when I talked about how much power he had,” Magadan said. “At the beginning of the year, I was saying that he had as much raw power as anyone on our team. A lot of people scoffed at it, but I see him swing every day and just knew it was a matter of time." Dave Magadan

As softlaw has switched from saying Ellesbury won't amount to anything to now simply calling for trading him now as Jacoby's value will never be higher, it occurred to me to ask who is the better evaluator for what we have on our hands. 

In my observation Elles showed us all what he can and will do for the next 5 to 6 years, and he has surpassed our grandest dreams as fans.

If we study softlaw I am certain we could come up with 100+ posts of fascinating statements against Elles.  For me, I think it best softy admit he was very very wrong about Elles and admit to covering his tracks by now saying now Elles needs to go because his value is so high.

One day Elles is the pitts so we should trade him to the next year being so "temporarily" good that Boston should move him while the value is so high.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Re: Who Knows Ellesbury better, Softlaw or Magadan?

In Response to Who Knows Ellesbury better, Softlaw or Magadan?:
    [QUOTE]“I got a lot of strange looks when I talked about how much power he had,” Magadan said. “At the beginning of the year, I was saying that he had as much raw power as anyone on our team. A lot of people scoffed at it, but I see him swing every day and just knew it was a matter of time." Dave Magadan As softlaw has switched from saying Ellesbury won't amount to anything to now simply calling for trading him now as Jacoby's value will never be higher, it occurred to me to ask who is the better evaluator for what we have on our hands.  In my observation Elles showed us all what he can and will do for the next 5 to 6 years, and he has surpassed our grandest dreams as fans. If we study softlaw I am certain we could come up with 100+ posts of fascinating statements against Elles.   For me, I think it best softy admit he was very very wrong about Elles and admit to covering his tracks by now saying now Elles needs to go because his value is so high. One day Elles is the pitts so we should trade him to the next year being so "temporarily" good that Boston should move him while the value is so high.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    Joe Maddon said the same thing a couple of years ago. 
    Magadan may be too modest. Ellsbury looks to have made a couple of adjustments in his approach at the plate. Maybe he made them on his own. Maybe Magadan helped.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Softlaw wasn't wrong about "Jake". It was / is a routine or charade in order to draw attention to himself. It is a carbon copy of what Andrewmitch did with JD Drew or Georom is now doing with Beckett. Contrarians are the life blood of the forum.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Who Knows Ellesbury better, Softlaw or Magadan?": [QUOTE]Softlaw wasn't wrong about "Jake". It was / is a routine or charade in order to draw attention to himself. It is a carbon copy of what Andrewmitch did with JD Drew or Georom is now doing with Beckett. Contrarians are the life blood of the forum. Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE] Johnny Pesky said Ellsbury "has 40 homerun power" in spring training 4 or 5 years ago. I posted his quote and Softlaw shredded it and called Pesky senile and clueless...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachzap. Show coachzap's posts

They all know him better than the op. His name is Ellsbury.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ellsbury has excellent bat speed. That is where the power comes from. He has developed a slight uppercut in his swing . Some were critical of that , saying he should try to hit the ball on the ground and use his speed. That was a mistake. He is much more productive when he is able to loft the ball.  Actually , a lot of players have power potential. The key is to square up the ball consistently , and have that slight uppercut swing.  By the way , I think Magadan is an excellent batting coach.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) Softy has been saying "now is the time to trade Jake while is value is highest" for 4 straight winters.

2) Softy said Jake would never be able to maintain a .340 OBP for a whole season.

3) Softy said Jake's HR's we all lucky due to his "reverse pivot" style of hitting.

4) Softy said Jake's SBs are over-rated, but blasted VTek for allowing maybe 15-20 more SBs than an average catcher as being so very important.

5) Softy said "Jake would look better in an Indians hat" as some kind of twisted racist joke 3 years ago.

6) Softy hates Jake and Jed because they went to college... "liberal bastions of indocrtination".

7) Softy argued that Cameron should be the starting CF'er in 2011, even vs RHPs, effectively making the near 2011 MVP our 4th OF'er.

8) When it became apparent that Jake was going to play everyday, softy called for CC to be the leadoff hitter and Jake batting 9th.

9) Softy thought Coco Crisps 2 seasons in Cleveland where he had 15-16 HRs showed he had "more potential than Jake".

10) Softy has suggested trading Jake over 500 times over the last 5 years with Jed Lowrie being included in about 450+ of them.

Anybody and everybody "knows Ellsbury better" than softy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It's not a matter of 'knowing' as much as it is a matter of sanity.  And not sanity like in a raving lunatic.  In this case, the sanity in quetion is the inability to admit when you are wrong.  It probably has to do with self-esteem.  Admitting we are wrong is a blow to our self-esteem.

When you have real self-confidence, you can accept that you can be wrong a fair amount of time on coin-flip decisions.  Those without real self-confidence cannot do so, and the worse the mistake, the more they will fight it.

If Softy wants to cure himself, it really isn't that difficult.  He simply has to admit what is already history, written in stone-he was the best player in BB last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Burrito and Georom are well aware that Softlaw is pretending / trolling. In fact, they enjoy him immensely. They are even trying to emulate him with their Beckett hating routine. It is their way to liven up a slow forum.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Who Knows Ellesbury better, Softlaw or Magadan?:
    [QUOTE]Burrito and Georom are well aware that Softlaw is pretending / trolling. In fact, they enjoy him immensely. They are even trying to emulate him with their Beckett hating routine. It is their way to liven up a slow forum.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

While I do believe some posters are trolls or some like to dabble in trolling from time to time, it doesn't mean that everyone who has an opinion that differs from the majority is a "troll". Some people just have a few or many outlandish opinions. It doesn't necessarily follow that they have those opinions in order to incite or provoke. 

I'm not saying softy is not a troll. He has admitted to "stirring the pot", but I think Burrito and Geo truly believe what they say and don't really care if you or anyone agrees with them. This society has become obsessed with blame and culpability. Geo brings that to an extreme, but maybe it is just who he is, not some conscious effort to get everyone upset.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]1) Softy has been saying "now is the time to trade Jake while is value is highest" for 4 straight winters. 2) Softy said Jake would never be able to maintain a .340 OBP for a whole season. 3) Softy said Jake's HR's we all lucky due to his "reverse pivot" style of hitting. 4) Softy said Jake's SBs are over-rated, but blasted VTek for allowing maybe 15-20 more SBs than an average catcher as being so very important. 5) Softy said "Jake would look better in an Indians hat" as some kind of twisted racist joke 3 years ago. 6) Softy hates Jake and Jed because they went to college... "liberal bastions of indocrtination". 7) Softy argued that Cameron should be the starting CF'er in 2011, even vs RHPs, effectively making the near 2011 MVP our 4th OF'er. 8) When it became apparent that Jake was going to play everyday, softy called for CC to be the leadoff hitter and Jake batting 9th. 9) Softy thought Coco Crisps 2 seasons in Cleveland where he had 15-16 HRs showed he had "more potential than Jake". 10) Softy has suggested trading Jake over 500 times over the last 5 years with Jed Lowrie being included in about 450+ of them. Anybody and everybody "knows Ellsbury better" than softy.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE] that one also turned out to be the board's new dance craze...Tongue out

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Knows Ellesbury better, Softlaw or Magadan? : that one also turned out to be the board's new dance craze...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

...and the team's motto as well...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

AllibiIke taught me a new phrase today so I'm going to use it now.

It is nice here when Softlaw " is out of pocket".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

According to Pike, a troll is someone he can't bully by divulging private information, or a person he disagrees with...

glad to be a troll I guess...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

In Response to Who Knows Ellesbury better, Softlaw or Magadan?:
    [QUOTE]“I got a lot of strange looks when I talked about how much power he had,” Magadan said. “At the beginning of the year, I was saying that he had as much raw power as anyone on our team. A lot of people scoffed at it, but I see him swing every day and just knew it was a matter of time." Dave Magadan As softlaw has switched from saying Ellesbury won't amount to anything to now simply calling for trading him now as Jacoby's value will never be higher, it occurred to me to ask who is the better evaluator for what we have on our hands.  In my observation Elles showed us all what he can and will do for the next 5 to 6 years, and he has surpassed our grandest dreams as fans. If we study softlaw I am certain we could come up with 100+ posts of fascinating statements against Elles.   For me, I think it best softy admit he was very very wrong about Elles and admit to covering his tracks by now saying now Elles needs to go because his value is so high. One day Elles is the pitts so we should trade him to the next year being so "temporarily" good that Boston should move him while the value is so high.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

A) Isn't it patently obvious that Magadan knows Ellsbury better than Softy?
    B) Isn't it patently obvious that Softy is a Troll of epic proportions?
    C) Isn't it patently obvious that Softy has zero character, as evidenced by his inability to admit he is now wrong about trading Ells and was about Ells ability.

And yes it is quite refreshing to have Softy out of pocket. Could not care less where he is right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Who Knows Ellsbury better, Softlaw or Magadan?

I go with Elles hitting 27 homers in 2012 but how awesome would it be if he joined the 40/40 club?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think 25-27 HRs seems about right, but I think he may get more DBLs and have a higher OBP in 2012 than in 2011.

2011  2012
    BA    .321    .315
    OBP  .376    .385
    SLG   .552    .515
    OPS   .928    .910
    2B/3B  51       60
    HR         32       26
    Runs   119     125
    RBI      105       95 (batting 1st)
    SB          39       50
    CS          15       10

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I would expect you are correct, I do think his homers will go down. Maybe as low as 22. If he can increase his doubles, walks, ans stolen bases then it will be a boon for the 2,3,4 batters.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Now burrito, you know softy is a solid contributor to the forum, without his slow moving and helpless "trade Ellsubry" blimps to shoot at we'd be bored.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who Knows Ellesbury better, Softlaw or Magadan? : that one also turned out to be the board's new dance craze...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'll take the lion's share of credit for that! I pounded "reverse pivot", and "reverse pivot JACK" til everyone knew what it was. :-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Mike Weir has a reverse pivot.

Player value is not based upon one season, and must be adjusted for what team and what place in a particulare lineup a player is hitting. Agon had more to do with Ellsbury 2011 than Ellsbury API and year off. Agon was the best Red Sox player in 2011, but few will understand that.

I see the .900 OPS and higher OBP for 2012 predecitons by one of the board droning shills, but simply look at Ellsbury advanced age and yearly median averages. No one who understands baseball would claims Ellsbury was the best player in MLB, last year, except one who needs to boost his self esteem.

Even for those who love Ellsbury and have been waiting to see the years of hype matched, Epstein gave Crawford the money for what Ellsbury did for one season in the best batting spot in a lineup in all of baseball.

Ellsbury is not young and most surely had his career year. It will not be repeated, nor is it what is needed to transform a loser team into a winner.

2011 season was a loser team, so it is quite fitting that Ellsbury seems to be some kind of source of great pride for most Red Sox fans. When a game needed to be won, a single game, Ellsbury was the antithesis of an Ortiz, earlier in his career.

Lowrie is gone, and Ellsbury will soon follow. The question is, do you pay about 20 million or more for Ellsbury to FA, or do you trade him for critical team needs. Crawford contract made that decision, a year ago, unless InEpstein part 2 is calling the shots. 

Selling high is usually scoffed at, while writing off is a cheerleader mass of fans.  
    Balance is about more than next year, last year, or the next two years. InEpstein was terrible at developing a farm that is balanced with what is clearly foreseeable on FA and trade market. Jury is out on Cherry, so far so good, but he will do a blockbuster trade from a weakness if he waits it out until the summer. GM gets paid to forecast correclty, not react like a loser. InEpstein was a loser who benefited from upper management and prior management. Cubs will fire him soon enough.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Former Masters champion Mike Weir has a reverse pivot.

Player value is not based upon one season, and must be adjusted for what team and what place in a particulare lineup a player is hitting. Agon had more to do with Ellsbury 2011 than Ellsbury API and year off. Agon was the best Red Sox player in 2011, but few will understand that.

I see the .900 OPS and higher OBP for 2012 predecitons by one of the board droning shills, but simply look at Ellsbury advanced age and yearly median averages. No one who understands baseball would claims Ellsbury was the best player in MLB, last year, except one who needs to boost his self esteem.

Even for those who love Ellsbury and have been waiting to see the years of hype matched, Epstein gave Crawford the money for what Ellsbury did for one season in the best batting spot in a lineup in all of baseball.

Ellsbury is not young and most surely had his career year. It will not be repeated, nor is it what is needed to transform a loser team into a winner.

2011 season was a loser team, so it is quite fitting that Ellsbury seems to be some kind of source of great pride for most Red Sox fans. When a game needed to be won, a single game, Ellsbury was the antithesis of an Ortiz, earlier in his career.

Lowrie is gone, and Ellsbury will soon follow. The question is, do you pay about 20 million or more for Ellsbury to FA, or do you trade him for critical team needs. Crawford contract made that decision, a year ago, unless InEpstein part 2 is calling the shots. 

Selling high is usually scoffed at, while writing off is a cheerleader mass of fans.  
    Balance is about more than next year, last year, or the next two years. InEpstein was terrible at developing a farm that is balanced with what is clearly foreseeable on FA and trade market. Jury is out on Cherry, so far so good, but he will do a blockbuster trade from a weakness if he waits it out until the summer. GM gets paid to forecast correclty, not react like a loser. InEpstein was a loser who benefited from upper management and prior management. Cubs will fire him soon enough.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Who Knows Ellsbury better, Softlaw or Magadan?:
    [QUOTE]Former Masters champion Mike Weir has a reverse pivot. Player value is not based upon one season, and must be adjusted for what team and what place in a particulare lineup a player is hitting. Agon had more to do with Ellsbury 2011 than Ellsbury API and year off. Agon was the best Red Sox player in 2011, but few will understand that. I see the .900 OPS and higher OBP for 2012 predecitons by one of the board droning shills, but simply look at Ellsbury advanced age and yearly median averages. No one who understands baseball would claims Ellsbury was the best player in MLB, last year, except one who needs to boost his self esteem. Even for those who love Ellsbury and have been waiting to see the years of hype matched, Epstein gave Crawford the money for what Ellsbury did for one season in the best batting spot in a lineup in all of baseball. Ellsbury is not young and most surely had his career year. It will not be repeated, nor is it what is needed to transform a loser team into a winner. 2011 season was a loser team, so it is quite fitting that Ellsbury seems to be some kind of source of great pride for most Red Sox fans. When a game needed to be won, a single game, Ellsbury was the antithesis of an Ortiz, earlier in his career. Lowrie is gone, and Ellsbury will soon follow. The question is, do you pay about 20 million or more for Ellsbury to FA, or do you trade him for critical team needs. Crawford contract made that decision, a year ago, unless InEpstein part 2 is calling the shots.  Selling high is usually scoffed at, while writing off is a cheerleader mass of fans.   Balance is about more than next year, last year, or the next two years. InEpstein was terrible at developing a farm that is balanced with what is clearly foreseeable on FA and trade market. Jury is out on Cherry, so far so good, but he will do a blockbuster trade from a weakness if he waits it out until the summer. GM gets paid to forecast correclty, not react like a loser. InEpstein was a loser who benefited from upper management and prior management. Cubs will fire him soon enough.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Poster vaule is not based upon the constant pounding and dredging up of one topic over and over and over again, there must be balance, and we must adjust that value based on an overall performance. In other words, jump on the train to Pawtuckett.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Ellsbury was the poster child for 2011 loser season. Get on the train to Salem.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Who Knows Ellsbury better, Softlaw or Magadan?:
    [QUOTE]Ellsbury was the poster child for 2011 loser season. Get on the train to Salem.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

LOL...no, that's where YOU belong. The witch hunt is still going on it seems.