Who still has options, that are competing to be on 25 & 40 man roster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRuleTheRoost. Show SoxRuleTheRoost's posts

Who still has options, that are competing to be on 25 & 40 man roster?

Seems like pertinent information.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Who still has options, that are competing to be on 25 & 40 man roster?

Sox don't have 25 men set yet.  Of the those who are expected to be on the 25, Bucholz, Aceves, Taz, Salty have 1 option remaining and WMB and Ells have 2 left. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to SoxRuleTheRoost's comment:

Seems like pertinent information.

Felix Doubront, Andrew Miller, Franklin Morales, Clayton Mortensen, Pedro Ciriaco, Mike Carp

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/out-of-options-2013.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I don't see how all three of Miller, Morales, and Mortensen make the Opening Day roster unless someone ahead of them on the bullpen depth chart gets traded. The Red Sox won't carry more than seven relievers to start the season, and there are already close to five locks: Hanrahan, Bailey, Bard, Uehara, Aceves. That leaves two spots for the three out of option guys, Tazawa (who likely deserves to make the team based on last year's September performance), and whoever else might emerge as an impressive contender.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Though Taz has options--he is a solid guy with good stuff that doesn't get unnerved--if he's in the top 7 or 8 he is too valuable right now to be sent down. They need the pen to show the swagger that makes them a team--that chemistry needs to be there from the beginning.

I don't think Bard's a lock--he had a nice outing but he has to show almost perfection this spring to prove he's a lock.

Breslow might start on the DL. 

Though I would hate to see him moved--I think Bailey will be traded  because they have two arms in the pen that could serve as emergency closers:  Taz and Aceves. Aceves--learned a lot last year--and though he faltered in April, Aug and Sept--he was pretty good before then.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

There are really 2 battles for thr 25-man roster.

1.  Bullpen, where 10 arms battle for 7 slots.  Bard and Tazawa are both likely to start in AAA and wait for the inevitable injury (which could hjappen in Spring Training).  Mortenson appears to be odd man out, butthe Sox might find a way to keep him using either a fake injury or by moving Aceves. 

2.  LHH OF/1B.  Carp, Sweeney, Overbay and Nava are all in play for the LHH LF and backup 1B.  Carp is out of options and Overbay can opt out if he is not on the roster.  There is room for both on the 25-man.  Sweeney is on a minor league deal and Nava has options left.  So keeping all four is the most likely path with Overbay and Carp in Boston and Sweeney and Nava in Pawtucket.  If anyone goes, it is likely Overbay by exercising his opt out and finding an MLB job, such as in Milwaukee.

Beyond that, this team is likely all set...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRuleTheRoost. Show SoxRuleTheRoost's posts

In response to notin's comment:

1.  Bullpen, where 10 arms battle for 7 slots.  Bard and Tazawa are both likely to start in AAA and wait for the inevitable injury (which could hjappen in Spring Training).  Mortenson appears to be odd man out, butthe Sox might find a way to keep him using either a fake injury or by moving Aceves. 

2.  LHH OF/1B.  Carp, Sweeney, Overbay and Nava are all in play for the LHH LF and backup 1B.  Carp is out of options and Overbay can opt out if he is not on the roster.  There is room for both on the 25-man.  Sweeney is on a minor league deal and Nava has options left.  So keeping all four is the most likely path with Overbay and Carp in Boston and Sweeney and Nava in Pawtucket.  If anyone goes, it is likely Overbay by exercising his opt out and finding an MLB job, such as in Milwaukee.

Thanks Notin.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Sweeney has an opt out as well.  So he will likely NOT accept a spot on the Pawtucket roster.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Sweeney has an opt out as well.  So he will likely NOT accept a spot on the Pawtucket roster.

i wouldn't be too sure, no one was knocking his door down trying to sign him all offseason before the sox (who just got hima few weeks ago). A MiL deal is realistically all he can get at this point. I think he may accept it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

He might.  But, in all likelihood there will be a team coming out of ST who needs a backup OFer with ML experience and who can field the corner positions.  Sweeney fits that bill nicely.  Though he lacks power, his BAve and OBP are decent enough, and his defensive skills are better than average.  I doubt he sits in Pawtucket waiting to play because I expect him to get a better shot with another team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Bard and Tazawa should make the team over Aceves and having 3 lefties. Sweeney can opt out. I think it is Carp and Sweeney make team, Overbay opts out and heads back to the Brewers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Right or wrong, players who are more deserving of a roster spot than others are often sent to AAA to start the season because they have options.  This is especially true in the case of relievers.  IMO, Tazawa has earned his spot on the team after last season, but I wouldn't be surprised nor extremely disappointed if he is sent down.

It may not give the team the best bullpen to start the season with, but it gives the team the most depth and the most flexibility.  You never know what you're going to get out of relievers and what might happen in terms of injury.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Right or wrong, players who are more deserving of a roster spot than others are often sent to AAA to start the season because they have options.  This is especially true in the case of relievers.  IMO, Tazawa has earned his spot on the team after last season, but I wouldn't be surprised nor extremely disappointed if he is sent down.

It may not give the team the best bullpen to start the season with, but it gives the team the most depth and the most flexibility.  You never know what you're going to get out of relievers and what might happen in terms of injury.

My guess is this is exactly the plan for Bard and Tazawa.  However that still leaves 8 relievers fighting for 7 roster spots...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

somebody gets traded, almost certainly.  I would prefer it to be Aceves.  If Aceves or Bailey are not traded by March 30th, it means Mortensen is almost certainly the odd man out..  But Ben will hopefully be able to trade him once he is claimed.  He may not get much for him, probably the proverbial PTBNL or cash considerations, but it will be something, IMO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Honestly I would hope that he wouldn't. I'd much rather see Brentz, Hazelbaker, Linares and Hassan get the playing time in the Pawtucket outfield.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Exactly.  Bradley needs to be in Pawtucket sometime this season.  Brentz needs to play there.  Hazelbaker, Linares and Hassan all need their ABs, not to mention Jacobs if he starts out well in Portland.  Sweeney ought to be on the 25-man roster or out, IMO.  His defense and OBP skills make him my choice for 5th OFer, if the sox carry one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRuleTheRoost. Show SoxRuleTheRoost's posts

Someone said Overbay's opt-out is if he doesn't make the 40-man roster. Would they send him down to AAA as insurance, since we don't have much 1st base depth.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SoxRuleTheRoost's comment:

Someone said Overbay's opt-out is if he doesn't make the 40-man roster. Would they send him down to AAA as insurance, since we don't have much 1st base depth.

We have Carp, Gomez, Salty, and Papi.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

1 B is an interesting question about the same as the Pen and LF.

1B depth: Nap, Carp, Gomez, Ortiz, Hamilton, Nava, Overbay.

LF Depth: Gomes, Carp, Nava, JBJ, Sweeney.

Pen: Hanny, Bailey, Ue, Taz, Aceves, Morales, Miller, Wilson, Breslow, Bard, Mort.                      

I say Breslow goes to the DL, Bard to AAA and Mort traded or DFA. I think they will look long and hard at Wilson--he has been impressive so far, grannted only two outings but he seems to handle himself out there.