Who was at fault for yesterdays loss?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Re: Who was at fault for yesterdays loss?

RS Management? RS Management caused torrential downpours, and us to have 0 extra base hits (in a lineup that has been shown to put up 10 runs in an inning)? I don't know what you have against the Sox Management, but let me tell you, it's one of the best we've ever had so quit yer bellyachin' yesterday was a loss, with any luck we'll have about 62 of those this season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Whose fault is it?

Simple -- it's baseball's fault. The season is 162 games. Even a 100-win team will lose 62 games. And there are many ways to lose. Yesterday was weather, Lackey perhaps not dealing with the delay very well, hitters just not coming through with runners on base, etc.

It happens. San Diego won the series. That happens. Bad teams will take a series from a better team. It's baseball. The Sox had won 11 of 12 series before this one if I remember the stat correctly.

I rarely get caught up with the blame game because over the course of the season, nearly everyone from the manager and 3B coach to the starting lineup, starting pitching, relievers and bench players might make a mistake that costs a game, just like they'll have a hand in wins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Abner Doubleday.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Who was at fault for yesterdays loss?:
    [QUOTE]Whose fault is it? Simple -- it's baseball's fault. The season is 162 games. Even a 100-win team will lose 62 games. And there are many ways to lose. Yesterday was weather, Lackey perhaps not dealing with the delay very well, hitters just not coming through with runners on base, etc. It happens. San Diego won the series. That happens. Bad teams will take a series from a better team. It's baseball. The Sox had won 11 of 12 series before this one if I remember the stat correctly. I rarely get caught up with the blame game because over the course of the season, nearly everyone from the manager and 3B coach to the starting lineup, starting pitching, relievers and bench players might make a mistake that costs a game, just like they'll have a hand in wins.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I BLAME BASEBALL FOR THIS LOSS!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I posted in the game thread at the start of the game that the umps should have called it.  The conditions were terrible and the chance of injury too great.  My biggest fear was that someone would get beaned, and when Lackey came out after the first delay, it was clear he could not get a grip (physically, i.e.).  Yes, Richard was at the same disadvantage and coped with it, but that doesn't necessarily make Lackey the goat.  Balls were slipping out of infielders' hands, too.   The game should not have been played.  If SD had to travel to Boston at the end of the season to make it up, so be it.  That game may not have had any effect on divisional standings and could have ended up being dropped.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I posted in the game thread at the start of the game that the umps should have called it.  The conditions were terrible and the chance of injury too great.  My biggest fear was that someone would get beaned, and when Lackey came out after the first delay, it was clear he could not get a grip (physically, i.e.).  Yes, Richard was at the same disadvantage and coped with it, but that doesn't necessarily make Lackey the goat.  Balls were slipping out of infielders' hands, too.   The game should not have been played.  If SD had to travel to Boston at the end of the season to make it up, so be it.  That game may not have had any effect on divisional standings and could have ended up being dropped.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]You probably are right but the home team controls the right to call the game until it starts and the RS out of respect to the Padres who would have had to stay over and play it today tried to get it in.

The umpires once it started were under the same pressure to do the same. It was extra complicated because the Padres are an NL team from the west and a mak-up would have problematic if required.

Hindsight is 20-20 because that game should have been called and stayed called after 4 innings. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]I posted in the game thread at the start of the game that the umps should have called it.  The conditions were terrible and the chance of injury too great.  My biggest fear was that someone would get beaned, and when Lackey came out after the first delay, it was clear he could not get a grip (physically, i.e.).  Yes, Richard was at the same disadvantage and coped with it, but that doesn't necessarily make Lackey the goat.  Balls were slipping out of infielders' hands, too.   The game should not have been played.  If SD had to travel to Boston at the end of the season to make it up, so be it.  That game may not have had any effect on divisional standings and could have ended up being dropped.
    Posted by joel49[/QUOTE]

valid point joel

I hate so see games  played under those condictions

as far as i know the sox had no call here

when it's the last game in town 

for the visting team it's the umps call even B4 it starts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It's all about the money.

If they play the game and you don't show up, they get your money.

If they call a rain delay or four,and you go home, they get your money.

If they postpone it, then they have to play it on another day.... that COSTS them money. This will not do.

You can either get soaked or get soaked. They laugh all the way to the bank with all the riches the make off of this concept of Red Sox /yuppie Nation, but when push comes to shove, they love the money more than they love the fans. Sit through numerous rain delays? sit through 3 hour rain delays? why not? I mean you don't actually have a life do you?...they don't think so. All they see is your money and all those Daisuke #18 jerseys going out the door for $80 and up each.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Simple answer; Lackey.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]It's all about the money. If they play the game and you don't show up, they get your money. If they call a rain delay or four,and you go home, they get your money. If they postpone it, then they have to play it on another day.... that COSTS them money. This will not do. You can either get soaked or get soaked. They laugh all the way to the bank with all the riches the make off of this concept of Red Sox /yuppie Nation, but when push comes to shove, they love the money more than they love the fans. Sit through numerous rain delays? sit through 3 hour rain delays? why not? I mean you don't actually have a life do you?...they don't think so. All they see is your money and all those Daisuke #18 jerseys going out the door for $80 and up each.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

We live in a Capitalist country.  Everything is about the money.  You think baseball is different?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]It's all about the money. If they play the game and you don't show up, they get your money. If they call a rain delay or four,and you go home, they get your money. If they postpone it, then they have to play it on another day.... that COSTS them money. This will not do. You can either get soaked or get soaked. They laugh all the way to the bank with all the riches the make off of this concept of Red Sox /yuppie Nation, but when push comes to shove, they love the money more than they love the fans. Sit through numerous rain delays? sit through 3 hour rain delays? why not? I mean you don't actually have a life do you?...they don't think so. All they see is your money and all those Daisuke #18 jerseys going out the door for $80 and up each.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]Zilla, I have noticed you are very big on the idea that the Boston Red Sox are actually in this thing to make money.

But I think you have it wrong this time. The money move for the Red Sox would be to open the gates. let everybody in and delay the start as long as they can while the fans sit there consuming concessions. Then call the game, open the gates tomorrow honoring the rain checks and do it again.

MLB home teams are the ones who call whether a game is played, delayed or called for weather until the game starts. Only at that point does the call revert to the umpires. Remember the now famous game in 2004 where Tek got into it with A-Rod and Mueller hit the walk off? Epstein went to the players and asked them if they wanted him to call it or not because they had just gotten beaten the night before and it was a Saturday day FOX game. The players wanted to play, they waited out the rain and the rest is now urban legend.  

It was all about accommodating a west coast team's travel schedule.  It was about not risking losing one of their few days off in September. It is why it was a day game to start with. The RS make more money after dark. It wasn't about the money, even though the Red Sox do need to insure they make money. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

[QUOTE]Simple answer; Lackey.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]
    agreed. Im tired of sticking up for this guy. hes turning into a bum. If its mental, or medical, or him trying to change things up from the Angels, he needs to get it together. He was a great #2 starter in LA, and now hes a sub par #5. I was sure it was him in an off year and on another team but now I know its somthing else. comparatively he WAS a cliff lee type but now..... not so much 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

You win as a team, you lose as a team. Simple as that.
    Lackey stunk, but even if he had given up two runs over eight innings we'd have lost. The bats weren't there. But he certainly didn't help matters.
    So, as I said, you win as a team and you lose as a team. The blame game is  pointless.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Hey Zilla,

I've sat out a few rain delays in my time, I like them.

I live out of state so when there is a rain delay at Fenway it means I get to spend more time in my beloved park.

I see most of my Sox games at Camden Yards.  Once we were 2 minutes away from setting the longest wait time at the yard.  I was upset they didn't delay it those two extra minutes so we could set a new record;0)

The thunderstorm was amazing that night and we saw a rainbow in the nighttime sky, pretty cool.

I sat out a rain delay at Yankee Stadium one night. Fans of both teams got pretty drunk.  Since we were in the nose bleed seats there were lots of kids in their twenties. It got interesting towards the end!  One young guy hung out around us for protection. I guess we reminded him of his parents LOL!

Rain delays are part of the game.  I think the game should have been called and it was played for the wrong reason but they chose to play it. Both teams played under the same conditions, one team scored runs the other didn't.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who was at fault for yesterdays loss? : You probably are right but the home team controls the right to call the game until it starts and the RS out of respect to the Padres who would have had to stay over and play it today tried to get it in. The umpires once it started were under the same pressure to do the same. It was extra complicated because the Padres are an NL team from the west and a mak-up would have problematic if required. Hindsight is 20-20 because that game should have been called and stayed called after 4 innings. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

It was pure negligence to play that game with puddles in the infield.
    God forbid, maybe a career-ending injury to AGONE will make people up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

What will make people up is Wastefield doing a belly flop in one of the puddles. It really bothered Varitek, who wasn't able to get his fingers in the right places to shut down the heavy hitting Padres.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I can't believe you lasted over 500 posts.
    That's usually your deadline for a new identity.
    UR losing your touch.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

They could have used Rick Dempsey yesterday to entertain the fans during the rain delays. 

http://youtu.be/n4xRx9xYum8

Sorry, Rick was not available on youtube.  I hope you enjoyed Tim Simone's imitation. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xorsed. Show xorsed's posts

A hot hitting team is going to get cold at some point in the season no matter who the players are, who the manager is or who the management is. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Two losses and we're back to the 'pathetic management' threads.

But really, I expect no less. I should not be surprised. And I'm not surprised.

GO RED SOX!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from titohotdog. Show titohotdog's posts

I blame Tito.  He should have removed Lackey long before he did.  Walks, hit batsmen apitch off the backstop, these should have been clues for Tito.  I think even Grady Little would have pulled Lackey long before T. did.
    Was Tito trying to embarrass Lackey and further endear him to the  Boston fans? Or is it just Tito being Tito.  He blew Tuesday's game by not having Ortiz at least attempt to bunt, Just like he blew Wednesday's game

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

titohotdog huh? Thats cute...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]Simple answer; Lackey.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

actually, Simple answer: weather!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yep the weather really affected the team, but not the other team... what is your point Thread Bearer?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Again ... had Lackey given up two runs in eight innings, a day we all would have gleefully accepted, the Sox still would have lost.

Teams win, teams lose.