Who wins a Red Sox / A's tiebreaker?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Who wins a Red Sox / A's tiebreaker?

Couldn't get a quick answer elsewhere, so I started this thread.  The two teams are 3 and 3 against each other this season, so head-to-head record doesn't resolve it.  So, what's the next criteria?

Thank you for your response.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Who wins a Red Sox / A's tiebreaker?

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:

Couldn't get a quick answer elsewhere, so I started this thread.  The two teams are 3 and 3 against each other this season, so head-to-head record doesn't resolve it.  So, what's the next criteria?

Thank you for your response.

Good question. I don't know for sure; I would think the next tiebreaker is your record within your division. Not sure how we stand there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

OK, so I found this.

How is home-field advantage determined in a two-team tiebreaker?

1. Head-to-head winning percentage

2. Higher winning percentage in intradivision games

3. Higher winning percentage in intraleague games

4. Higher winning percentage in the last half of intraleague games

5. Higher winning percentage in the last half plus one intraleague game, provided that such additional game was not between the two tied clubs. Continue to go back one intraleague game at a time until the tie has been broken

Now I've got to look this one up unless anybody here wants to beat me to it.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

The Red Sox are 81-57 Intraleague.  The A's are 80-56.  Softlaw/Fireman is a dickhead.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

The Red Sox are 81-57 Intraleague.  The A's are 80-56.

That include tonights games?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I guess its a slight advantage then that the Sox have two interleauge games left. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Lets win games this last week of regular season a get a clear cut home advantage all the way!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From ESPN.com:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9702126/will-boston-red-sox-talent-effort-chemistry-luck-coalesce-championship-equation

What happens if the Red Sox and Athletics tie for the best record? The first tiebreaker is head-to-head play. That settles nothing, because the Sox and Athletics split six games this season. The second tiebreaker is winning percentage within a team's division; at the moment, the Athletics hold a narrow edge. They're 42-29, a .5915 winning percentage. The Sox  are 42-30, a .5833 percentage.

If the Sox win their last game against the Blue Jays and last three against the Orioles, they would finish with a .605 intradivision percentage. If the Athletics win their last six against AL West foes, they would finish at .618 in their division. If both the Sox and A's finish with identical divisional records, and end up with the same overall record, a third tiebreaker comes into play: highest winning percentage in the last half of games against American League opponents. (We'll hold off on crunching those numbers for the time being.)

"Another day closer to the parade"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

they should deduct at least 3 games from the A's just because they got to play the Astros 18 times.....

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

The Red Sox are 81-57 Intraleague.  The A's are 80-56.  Softlaw/Fireman is a dickkhead.

Lol
    Atleast he was funny that time. 

Edit: BDC asked me to remove the word dickkhead? Hey BDC, it's not my job to censor other people's post. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Sox just have to keep on winning

No excuse to lose 2 of 3 at home to the Jays and to only have a 10-9 record against them - NONE WHAT SO EVER

We should end up w/ 97 maybe 98 wins

A's would have to go 5-2 over their remaining games

but it all starts with winning today - it's an important game believe it or not

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

Sox just have to keep on winning

No excuse to lose 2 of 3 at home to the Jays and to only have a 10-9 record against them - NONE WHAT SO EVER

We should end up w/ 97 maybe 98 wins

A's would have to go 5-2 over their remaining games

but it all starts with winning today - it's an important game believe it or not

I was thinking 98 isn't out of the question. With our depth we could rest players and still win i think. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

From ESPN.com:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9702126/will-boston-red-sox-talent-effort-chemistry-luck-coalesce-championship-equation

What happens if the Red Sox and Athletics tie for the best record? The first tiebreaker is head-to-head play. That settles nothing, because the Sox and Athletics split six games this season. The second tiebreaker is winning percentage within a team's division; at the moment, the Athletics hold a narrow edge. They're 42-29, a .5915 winning percentage. The Sox  are 42-30, a .5833 percentage.

If the Sox win their last game against the Blue Jays and last three against the Orioles, they would finish with a .605 intradivision percentage. If the Athletics win their last six against AL West foes, they would finish at .618 in their division. If both the Sox and A's finish with identical divisional records, and end up with the same overall record, a third tiebreaker comes into play: highest winning percentage in the last half of games against American League opponents. (We'll hold off on crunching those numbers for the time being.)

Well, I think Boston will just monitor on how the A's do today while Boston is off today. With a loss by the A's would put them 2 games behind Boston at the same time the A's and Boston will have identical numbers in the loss column which that is a huge for Boston.  

If that is the case, A's need to make up two wins in the three games series against the Angels.  If they lose two out of three games against the Angels while Boston go 1 and 1 against Colorado, Boston will have two games lead over the A's before the final three games of the season at the same time Boston will have 2 games lead in the divisional record tie breaker.  Meaning, all Boston need to win one out of three games against the Orioles to clinch the homefield advantage while A's need to win all three games while Boston need to lose all three, A's clinch the homefield advantage.

So for now, the best way to see Boston to feel comfortable is to see the A's to lose tonite!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

The Red Sox are 81-57 Intraleague.  The A's are 80-56.  Softlaw/Fireman is a dickkhead.

Lol
    Atleast he was funny that time. 

Edit: BDC asked me to remove the word dickkhead? Hey BDC, it's not my job to censor other people's post. 

Yes, it did that to me too. My question was, how did it get into the OP for them to ask me to remove it when I responded?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

[QUOTE]

From ESPN.com:

Well, I think Boston will just monitor on how the A's do today while Boston is off today. With a loss by the A's would put them 2 games behind Boston at the same time the A's and Boston will have identical numbers in the loss column which that is a huge for Boston.  

If that is the case, A's need to make up two wins in the three games series against the Angels.  If they lose two out of three games against the Angels while Boston go 1 and 1 against Colorado, Boston will have two games lead over the A's before the final three games of the season at the same time Boston will have 2 games lead in the divisional record tie breaker.  Meaning, all Boston need to win one out of three games against the Orioles to clinch the homefield advantage while A's need to win all three games while Boston need to lose all three, A's clinch the homefield advantage.

So for now, the best way to see Boston to feel comfortable is to see the A's to lose tonite!!

[/QUOTE]

If they win its a different story. This reminds me of 07 when the Sox were off on Monday going into the last week with a 1.5 lead over NY. Toronto beat NY that day, and the race thereafter was over. If NY had won that day, it would have been a lot more complicated.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

it's still TBD - that's the bottom line for now

there is a magic # for the Sox to get top seed.  I think it's 3???  you can figure it out by looking at the standings and how many games are left.......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

From ESPN.com:

[/QUOTE]

If they win its a different story. This reminds me of 07 when the Sox were off on Monday going into the last week with a 1.5 lead over NY. Toronto beat NY that day, and the race thereafter was over. If NY had won that day, it would have been a lot more complicated.

[/QUOTE]
    You re right that if they win today, it is a different story.  Meaning, Boston may have to forced to play regulars for their next two games, and see where these teams are standing by the time they play their final three games of the season!!

For now, let us pray to see them to lose tonite!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes, the Sox really can not rest guys right now.  They actually have to take the Rockies series very seriously.  Everyone must now fly to Denver.  My original plan has been cancelled!

However, be careful of what you wish for.  Would you rather face TB or the A's?  I don't know because there are other factors (like home field now, later etc)........but TB scares me......PRICE terrifies me............Also, the WC game was supposed to beat up those teams but they get rest on Mon and Tue and Thurs so it's not as dramatic as everyone is making it out to be.

Best case is Sox get top seed and there is a tie breaker game on monday to really beat up on the WC winner......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

it's still TBD - that's the bottom line for now

there is a magic # for the Sox to get top seed.  I think it's 3???  you can figure it out by looking at the standings and how many games are left.......

Its 5 AM, thats what my calculations indicate. 1.5 game lead with 6 (Oak) to play. You count that as a one game lead because they have a game in hand, and it will drop to 4 if LAA win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yes, the Sox really can not rest guys right now.  They actually have to take the Rockies series very seriously.  Everyone must now fly to Denver.  My original plan has been cancelled!

However, be careful of what you wish for.  Would you rather face TB or the A's?  I don't know because there are other factors (like home field now, later etc)........but TB scares me......PRICE terrifies me............Also, the WC game was supposed to beat up those teams but they get rest on Mon and Tue and Thurs so it's not as dramatic as everyone is making it out to be.

Best case is Sox get top seed and there is a tie breaker game on monday to really beat up on the WC winner......

Know what that means AM? Root for the Yankees this week. We have no choice. I want TB OUT, OUT, OUT!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

OK that sounds right.

So I am thinking that we would go at least 3-2

If the A's go 4-2 it's ours

But this is dangerous with no margin of error

If we go 2-3

A's go 5-1

We are out

Still VERY POSSIBLE

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Know what that means AM? Root for the Yankees this week. We have no choice. I want TB OUT, OUT, OUT!

[/QUOTE]

Let me find you later this evening - I'd like to discuss this more and look at the data before I root for them........

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

OK that sounds right.

So I am thinking that we would go at least 3-2

If the A's go 4-2 it's ours

But this is dangerous with no margin of error

If we go 2-3

A's go 5-1

We are out

Still VERY POSSIBLE

Yes. I figured on them going 4-2, which is reasonable, and us going 3-2 which is also reasonable. My thougt exactly. If they go 5-1 we could be in trouble. But, LAA has been hot lately.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

....and dont think for a moment that LA doesnt know they hold Oakland's fate in their hands..