Who would you like to see as the fifth starter in the Red Sox rotation.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re: Who would you like to see as the fifth starter in the Red Sox rotation.

FWIW, I don't mind giving Ace a shot in the rotation if his performance merits it.  Personally, I don't get the argument that he is too valuable in the pen to be a starter.  Don't get me wrong, he was very valuable in the pen last year ... he was huuuuuge.  But in the overall scheme of things, starting pitching is more valuable than middle relief hands down.  Aside from the marque closers and set up men (who are overvalued), IMO the BP is made up of pitchers who just aren't good enough to start .  The one thing we definitely have is a deep roster of guys who might be pretty good but may not be good enough to start.

If Aceves ends up not hacking it as a starter, that's fine too, but I think he deserves his shot.  Now on the other hand, if Bard is mediocre as a starter and Bailey & Melancon aren't as good as we hoped, I will fully support the idea that Bard can provide more value in the pen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer1. Show natepioneer1's posts

Don't think it will be a straight platoon, so I think it will be more 50-50, maybe even Ross more

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer1. Show natepioneer1's posts

That will be interesting to watch how it is handled.

In Response to Re: Who would you like to see as the fifth starter in the Red Sox rotation.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would you like to see as the fifth starter in the Red Sox rotation. : I see where you are going and I don't disagree that Bard's innings are probably going to be capped even if he is lights out as a starter.  But reliever innings are not the same as starter innings.  You can't say, he should be capped at 150 IP so He'll pitch 120 as a starter and 30 as a reliever ... voila, his arm is protected.  30-40 IP for a reliever is half a season's work and is probably just as much wear and tear as 80-100IP as a starter given the different routine.  Plus, shifting him between starting and the BP is a recipe for injury IMO.  If Bard does well in the rotation, I think you will see them skip some starts for him during the season or find ways to give him some extra days between starts, esp once Dice is back.  If he's doing well as a starter, they will keep him in the role all season.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Either calvin schiraldi or tracey stallard.........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

TBINNISK, do you ever spend any time discussing the Yankees with Yankee fans who might disagree with you or is Niskayuna full of Red Sox fans?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you like to see as the fifth starter in the Red Sox rotation.:
    [QUOTE]TBINNISK, do you ever spend any time discussing the Yankees with Yankee fans who might disagree with you or is Niskayuna full of Red Sox fans?
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

I have no idea how many red sox fans are there pike as I have never been there.

Ask Yoshi if it looks like I live in Niskayuna.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]Miller has never had an extended strtch of success. He's had a lot of chances to prove himself, and has never gotten over the wildness issue. Others trying to win the slot have at least shown some significant periods of doing well.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Problem with a kid like Miller is everyone knows he has talent. The problem is when does it translate on the field- maybe never? But you never want to be the team that gave up too early. Lets not forget his agent was part of problem, his 1st contract called for him to be called to MLB in 1st year - big mistake lost an option and time needed to develope on farm, not counting the hit his confidence took.