Why be so negative ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Why be so negative ?

The season has not even started, and everyone is whining, crying and bashing the Red Sox. This may a bridge the mngt. is building but collapsing, it is too early to tell. Last year was a bad season for Sox fans. It seems that some fans on this forum still has that grey cloud hanging over them. " The sun still shines behind a mask of clouds". 

Last year there was club house issues, injuries and the manager was not the right choice. BC revamp by getting the coaching staff together first then went and pick the missing links. Cherington just spent 78 mill on 2 players that will not hurt the team. Ben still has money to spend to to fix up the pitching staff. This is the most concern part for me what moves will the Sox mngt. make with pitching? I am hoping he will pick up some young arms.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Why be so negative ?

The Victorino signing will allow them to include Ellsbury in a trade if they so choose to get a pitcher.

I like the moves theyve made. People are complaining we need another slugger, but the only one is JH and theres no way Id sign him to what hes asking.

Im called a Ben apologist and a bootlicker because I like these deals. Those are some of the most self righteous statements ive heard. Because I dont agree with someone elses opinion? Maybe its because I actually DO agree or understand certain signings and have MY OWN OPINION.

IMO, Theyre getting good ball players that are team guys who play hard. Slightly overpaying to get shorter term deals is Ok since they have some extra cash to spend.
    they are far from done though...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is nothing more negative that spending nearly 40 million on old man Shane.

[/QUOTE]

except platooning Gomez and Loney...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

No, the production that will be non-existant at 1b will hurt the team more than 13M per for 3 years. Sure, lets act like a small market team with a low budget. With you in charge we clould guarentee one thing. A top 10 pick every year in the draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't have anything against Ben. I want him to succeed , because I want the Sox to win. But let's be honest. In his first year in charge , we had the worst team that we have had in years.  The big trade with L.A. supposedly freed up money to improve the club. What we have seen so far is money being spent on some average or slightly above average players. As it stands , there is no real possibility that  we can contend in 2013. Another last place finish is very possible. As a Sox fan , can you defend a G.M. who fields two straight cellar clubs ?  With all of the money at our disposal , how can you accept this ?   What in the world makes you think that it will be different in 2014? Baseball is a great sport , but it is a business. In business , results count for everything. We need to see some results , not more excuses.  Honestly , all some of you can offer is to throw darts at those of us who are telling you the unpleasant truth.  We have won two World Series in 94 years. We would like to see another. What do the rest of you want ?  A ten year plan , and continue to ridicule those who are not satisfied with what is happening ?  I think any real Sox fan would be unhappy with what is going on , and would want to see some immediate improvement.  This is a rather long post , but I guess it will get the usual curt response of " stop crying or go away."  Or " root for another team."  The typical well thought out response of the so-called " real Sox fan. ".  So be it. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

The truth be told fans really don't know how much actual money is available to reinvest into the Sox return to glory.  The way they are playing patty cake so far is playing a different tune than what they said was going to take place...maybe shedding all of that salary was a necessity and not just a smart move.  With the inflated FA market out there now the Sox seem to be finding it more difficult to sign anything above average talent for a team that needs a bit more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't have anything against Ben. I want him to succeed , because I want the Sox to win. But let's be honest. In his first year in charge , we had the worst team that we have had in years.  The big trade with L.A. supposedly freed up money to improve the club. What we have seen so far is money being spent on some average or slightly above average players. As it stands , there is no real possibility that  we can contend in 2013. Another last place finish is very possible. As a Sox fan , can you defend a G.M. who fields two straight cellar clubs ?  With all of the money at our disposal , how can you accept this ?   What in the world makes you think that it will be different in 2014? Baseball is a great sport , but it is a business. In business , results count for everything. We need to see some results , not more excuses.  Honestly , all some of you can offer is to throw darts at those of us who are telling you the unpleasant truth.  We have won two World Series in 94 years. We would like to see another. What do the rest of you want ?  A ten year plan , and continue to ridicule those who are not satisfied with what is happening ?  I think any real Sox fan would be unhappy with what is going on , and would want to see some immediate improvement.  This is a rather long post , but I guess it will get the usual curt response of " stop crying or go away."  Or " root for another team."  The typical well thought out response of the so-called " real Sox fan. ".  So be it. 

[/QUOTE]

You say you want Ben to succeed, but you seem to be awfully quick to throw him under the bus. The worst move he made last year was signing Bobby V to manage the club, but if you will recall, the guy he wanted was Dale Sveum and he was overruled by LL. As far as player moves, he had zero financial flexibility to go out and sign FAs due to the bloated Beckett, Crawford and Gonzo deals and the fact that the penalties for teams that remain over the luxury tax threshhold become quite severe under the new CBA. The two biggest free agent moves Ben made last year were Ross and Padilla and those worked out pretty well. Trading Scut for Mortenson was about freeing up salary to acquire Ross, although Mortenson has turned out to be a pretty decent bullpen arm. I'll be judging Ben a lot more on this year's team than last year's as he has the flexibility to shape the team to his vision this winter. I won't say that I love the acquisitions so far, but I think it's very early to call the Sox a last place team. I really like the Napoli signing, especially since it's for only 3 years. As for Victorino we'll see, but he's a big defensive upgrade over Cody Ross.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I see them signing great clubhouse guys, good attitudes, grinders, proven players, experienced leaders, & winners. But then I read comments that say it doesn't matter because OMG ... They're all over 30! Yuck! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You say you want Ben to succeed, but you seem to be awfully quick to throw him under the bus. The worst move he made last year was signing Bobby V to manage the club, but if you will recall, the guy he wanted was Dale Sveum and he was overruled by LL. As far as player moves, he had zero financial flexibility to go out and sign FAs due to the bloated Beckett, Crawford and Gonzo deals and the fact that the penalties for teams that remain over the luxury tax threshhold become quite severe under the new CBA. The two biggest free agent moves Ben made last year were Ross and Padilla and those worked out pretty well. Trading Scut for Mortenson was about freeing up salary to acquire Ross, although Mortenson has turned out to be a pretty decent bullpen arm. I'll be judging Ben a lot more on this year's team than last year's as he has the flexibility to shape the team to his vision this winter. I won't say that I love the acquisitions so far, but I think it's very early to call the Sox a last place team. I really like the Napoli signing, especially since it's for only 3 years. As for Victorino we'll see, but he's a big defensive upgrade over Cody Ross.

[/QUOTE]

+1. I'll add one of the major changes the FO needed to address, was the clubhouse environment. Victorino is reported to be one of the best. They're looking at more than what the players bring to the field

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Denny - which members of the 2012 last place team is Ben responsible for i.e. was the GM when we acquired them?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why all the bashings??   They didnt sign anyone for 5 years to 7 years.   If these guys do not do well after year two, Boston can easily trade him at the deadline in year 3.   It is alot easier to do it with these guys than guys getting 5 to 7 plus years contract like A-Rod.  A-Rod will never ever can be trade cuz of his big freakin fat contract.  Same goes to Vernon Wells, etc.

Ben C. have been communicating with everyone in MLB.  You all do not know what kind of conversations that he had in the past two weeks.  

I strongly think Ellsbury already warned Boston that he isnt coming back.  Have you ever hear Ellsbury complaining about why Boston is not giving him a contract extension.  He have been so quiet, and sounded like he is just going to stay here quietly, and then once his contract run out, he is going out there to try to find his biggest contract ever.   Ben C. isnt going to play game with Boras.   Best solution is to trade him for a talent starting pitcher!!!  

I think they can still get Felix the King if Boston can just part away Ellsbury, Lavarnway, along with one top prospects and a mid prospect!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In response to emp9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I see them signing great clubhouse guys, good attitudes, grinders, proven players, experienced leaders, & winners. But then I read comments that say it doesn't matter because OMG ... They're all over 30! Yuck! 

[/QUOTE]

I agree that the FO seems to be addressing the issues in the clubhouse from the last several years with the types of players they're signing this year.  I also like the fact that while the money may be more than I'd like to see them handing out, at least they're keeping the years to a minimum for guys like Napoli and Victorino.

Now let's see the FO do something to address our starting pitching.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why all the bashings??   They didnt sign anyone for 5 years to 7 years.   If these guys do not do well after year two, Boston can easily trade him at the deadline in year 3.   It is alot easier to do it with these guys than guys getting 5 to 7 plus years contract like A-Rod.  A-Rod will never ever can be trade cuz of his big freakin fat contract.  Same goes to Vernon Wells, etc.

Ben C. have been communicating with everyone in MLB.  You all do not know what kind of conversations that he had in the past two weeks.  

I strongly think Ellsbury already warned Boston that he isnt coming back.  Have you ever hear Ellsbury complaining about why Boston is not giving him a contract extension.  He have been so quiet, and sounded like he is just going to stay here quietly, and then once his contract run out, he is going out there to try to find his biggest contract ever.   Ben C. isnt going to play game with Boras.   Best solution is to trade him for a talent starting pitcher!!!  

I think they can still get Felix the King if Boston can just part away Ellsbury, Lavarnway, along with one top prospects and a mid prospect!!

[/QUOTE]

IDK about Felix, & I like what's on the field now. But Sox can trade 2 of their catchers (Lavarnway & Salty) & Ellsbury for an impact pitcher. In theory. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The season has not even started, and everyone is whining, crying and bashing the Red Sox. This may a bridge the mngt. is building but collapsing, it is too early to tell. Last year was a bad season for Sox fans. It seems that some fans on this forum still has that grey cloud hanging over them. " The sun still shines behind a mask of clouds". 

Last year there was club house issues, injuries and the manager was not the right choice. BC revamp by getting the coaching staff together first then went and pick the missing links. Cherington just spent 78 mill on 2 players that will not hurt the team. Ben still has money to spend to to fix up the pitching staff. This is the most concern part for me what moves will the Sox mngt. make with pitching? I am hoping he will pick up some young arms.

[/QUOTE]

I understand your point.  But I don't see it as "whining, crying and bashing".  I see it as us fans being very passionate and very eager to see the Red Sox rebound in 2013 and beyond.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

[QUOTE]

Cherington just spent 78 mill on 2 players that will not hurt the team. [/QUOTE]

This is a low standard.

Signing players that "won't hurt the team"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

With me in charge, 100M to 120M is not a "small market team".

With you in charge, zero playoff wins and nearly a quarter of a billion dollars a season in labor costs will continue.

[/QUOTE]

With you in charge $100MM to $120MM is a LOSING team. A team with no chance to even MAKE the playoffs, let alone win a game there.

As someone said here yesterday, "Wake up and smell the inflation".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

They have added good quality players and players with good clubhouse attitude. There is not much available for FA this year and IMHO they got two of the best. 

BTW they got two better players for less than what the Braves paid for a strictly defensive guy in Upton. They also have the ability now to make other moves.

as for the negativity just remember there are RS fans that believe they should win every game and that every player should have years that are career years every year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Cherington just spent 78 mill on 2 players that will not hurt the team. [/QUOTE]

This is a low standard.

Signing players that "won't hurt the team"

[/QUOTE] You complain often but yet to come up with a better approach.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

but how did Sveum do? we let Scut go ...but he went on to a WS?? Bailey was out for the season...69 wins.......

I will give Ben time...but the current track record is not good. I also know we need to sign an ACE and that may not happen this year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now we're making progress.  We have THAT established.

Now how's about another pic of That Other Team with "Bad Guys" or "Evil Empire" on the shirts.  :-))