Why Does Everyone Think Hanrahan is Great? Didn't we hear the same thing with Bailey last winter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Why Does Everyone Think Hanrahan is Great? Didn't we hear the same thing with Bailey last winter?

Lifetime K/BB ratio of 2.27.

Last year it was 1.86

4.3 BB per 9 innings.

Only one season with a WHIP under 1.20.

And lastly, he pitched for the Pirates in Pittsburgh.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Why Does Everyone Think Hanrahan is Great? Didn't we hear the same thing with Bailey last winter?

You can always count on ADG to bash the Red Sox. I have a slogan for you. "ADG - Bashing the Red Sox since August 14 2012".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Why Does Everyone Think Hanrahan is Great? Didn't we hear the same thing with Bailey last winter?

Hanrahan is a big upgrade over Bailey. 

I wonder what the Red Sox will do with Bailey. 

Right now, I really like Boston's bullpen. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last year it was 1.86

4.3 BB per 9 innings.

[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmmm.......I've been in on all of the talk around here regarding Hanrahan and I have yet to see people proclaim him as 'great'.  I do think that is the deal is what's being rumore...that it is a great DEAL that will not hurt us in any way. 

So do us a favor....please enlighten us and tell us how you think this deal will hurt us....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You think?  Baileys career ERA and Whip are WAY lower than Hanrahans. And this is with Hanrahan pitching in the NL.

I like the trade but I don't get the "big upgrade" Check their stats. I wouldn't even assume Hanrahan will get the job. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Good idea for the Sox to stack their bull pen since most of the current SP's won't be able to go longer than 5 innings.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You think?  Baileys career ERA and Whip are WAY lower than Hanrahans. And this is with Hanrahan pitching in the NL.

I like the trade but I don't get the "big upgrade" Check their stats. I wouldn't even assume Hanrahan will get the job. 

[/QUOTE]

exactly. i like the deal and JH but i doubt he is our closer unless bailey is moved.. Jh is an insurance policy in case bailey goes down and will be our setup man going into the season. still a great addition to our monster BP

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

exactly. i like the deal and JH but i doubt he is our closer unless bailey is moved.. Jh is an insurance policy in case bailey goes down and will be our setup man going into the season. still a great addition to our monster BP

[/QUOTE]

Right, He is what Melancon was supposed to be, and if Bailey falters or gets hurt they have someone there to take the job.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Last year it was 1.86

4.3 BB per 9 innings.

[/QUOTE]

Can you name EVERYONE????

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Everyone ... like in else?

Are you somehow feeling left out?  Your paint brush is far too wide and your comments far too indiscriminate.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Two years ago Friday the Red Sox picked up another 6-foot-4, 250-pound righthanded two-time All Star closer born in 1981.

Are the Red Sox ready for the second coming of Bobby Jenks?

Adjusted for inflation, Joel Hanrahan's projected 2013 salary of $6.9 million resembles Bobby Jenks' annual salary of $6 million with the Red Sox.

And then there's the chin hair ...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Good or bad this is a one year thing for both parties.  If Hanrahan repeats his 2011 numbers he's in position for a big win as a free agent.  History suggests Sox won't pony up the years he will likely want (nor should they), but someone will.  If he's mediocre to poor, the Sox simply walk away.  Hopefully he adds value to a pen that will get plenty of work in 2013.  My only question is whether Sands should have at least been given some look before being used for a one year rental.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like the deal if only because I don't have 100% faith in Bailey.  If Bailey is lights-out in ST, then we have a 1K/IP setup.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You can always count on ADG to bash the Red Sox. I have a slogan for you. "ADG - Bashing the Red Sox since August 14 2012".

[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen anyone possessing such a hatred of the RS on any board, even NYY boards.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

The op is right on cuz hanrahan and bailey are the exact same person !!!!!

sarcasm above !!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

THe bottom line is the Sox added another really good pitcher to their pen, regardless of whether or not he closes.  and added him by only trading away Sands, Pimental, and possibly Melancon (so far).

Unless there is a major name added to this squad heading back to Pitt, Cherington should not be fired.  He should be arrested.  Because this deal is flat out robbery.  Even if Hanrahan tanks, the liklihood that Sands and Pimental ever did anything in Boston is fairly remote anyway.  Essentially this deal boils down to Melancon for Hanrahan, which is why I do not get all the "upgrade over Bailey" chatter.  The Sox still have Bailey.  The upgrade is over Melancon and his 6.20ERA over the 45IP....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Bailey must be hurt? Meloncon failed.... I liked getting him but it did not work. Bard? We never hear his name, he must be bound for the 7th inning, if he were going to remain a starter they would have already bragged about his "recovery".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree. He had some control trouble last year, but I know from following the Reds, this guy is a beast. Youll see if he comes here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Just remember Bailey was hurt and really had a short stint in the minors so his 19 games were really his ST.

If the BP is Hanrahan, Bailey, Bard, Melancon, ACEVES, TARZAWA, Uehara, Morales  and Breslow just for starters I'll be happy

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

This is trolling by the OP.  

No one has said Hanrahan is great.  But he has the ability to be very good.  It is the same you heard about Bailey last year.  They both have good, solid career numbers.  Bailey got hurt.  And Bailey did extremely poorly when he came back.  But no one is going up to the highest point in Boston to scream for all to hear how great Hanrahan is.  But, as I said, he is solid and the Sox really gave up nothing of consequence for him.

Beyond that, the Sox pen is now possibly over-stocked.  With the trend of bullpen guys having random up and down years, this is not a bad situation to be in, especially when it can protect a mediocre team and rotation.  

Is Hanrahan great?  No.  Is he most likely a good guy to have in the bullpen?  Yes.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

carnie - Simple question. Have they deserved bashing since August 14th? How many games did the Red Sox win last year, with a $190M payroll? Did they deserve a stroke for a nice try?