why does nobody miss adrian gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: why does nobody miss adrian gonzalez

Vmart isn't going anywhere.  The Tigers are letting Delmon Young walk because they expect Vmart to DH next year. 

The question would be if they want to pay $13M toVMart to be a DH?  And, FWIW, everyone on that team, except for AJax, is a DH.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Vmart isn't going anywhere.  The Tigers are letting Delmon Young walk because they expect Vmart to DH next year. 

The question would be if they want to pay $13M toVMart to be a DH?  And, FWIW, everyone on that team, except for AJax, is a DH.

[/QUOTE]

Haha...very true, Joe...Mike Ilitch turns 84 next year and he has made it clearer money won't be major concern in his quest for title...Ilitch holdings made billions last year.  They've mentioned Vmart's return as a big boost next year.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

On Salty, his CERA is indeed worrisome. 

It improved greatly after April 25th.

Napoli and VMart have long histories of getting worse production pitcher by pitcher than the other catchers on their teams.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why bother on Ike Davis (not my idea of a long term Red Sox 1st baseman)  when the Tigers will trade farm scraps for VMart?

Why would Detroit have to trade farm scraps to itself to get the VMart they already have?

Silly clown!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to baddad's comment:
    [QUOTE]

its amazing how nobody seems upset about not having agon amymore.......as advertised he was a 300 hiter,,,good for 100 ribbies and a doubles machine at fenway as predicted,,,as well as a gold glover......everything but the long balls,,,,i say he will be missed,,,,,,when we got him we red sox fans were celebrating,,,,,,,now its kudos to cherington for getting rid of him,,,,i think thats ridiculous....im sure dodgers would have taken some decent prospects instead,,,,,,maybe its just me but ben just seems like a larrys puppet,,,,,,and thats gonna hurt us,,,,,does anybody agree

[/QUOTE]

I was and still am upset with losing Adrian but without him included in the package I'm sure the Dodgers never would have made the move.

Replacing him won't be easy, we will probably need to upgrade two or three positions.  This is why I hate plugging guys like Salty and Iggy into the starting lineup who struggle to reach base.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Trading all 3 was a major mistake.  Agon was and will be a 300 guy with 100 RBI, CC despite the bad year will be a 290 with 75 RBIs and 40 SB guy again. I also believe with Farrell Josh would have been a damn good SP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In short, the result of the trade is that the Red Sox have more money and less talent.

That presents opportunities and challenges.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In short, the result of the trade is that the Red Sox have more money and less talent.

That presents opportunities and challenges.

[/QUOTE]

True, and on paper, it seems we could easily do better with the money saved than what we lost. I am not for signing these guys, but who here would really have CC, Josh & AGon over Hamilton, Greinke & Napoli?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to baddad's comment:
    [QUOTE]

its amazing how nobody seems upset about not having agon amymore.......as advertised he was a 300 hiter,,,good for 100 ribbies and a doubles machine at fenway as predicted,,,as well as a gold glover......everything but the long balls,,,,i say he will be missed,,,,,,when we got him we red sox fans were celebrating,,,,,,,now its kudos to cherington for getting rid of him,,,,i think thats ridiculous....im sure dodgers would have taken some decent prospects instead,,,,,,maybe its just me but ben just seems like a larrys puppet,,,,,,and thats gonna hurt us,,,,,does anybody agree

[/QUOTE]

I've been called a nobody before. but I definitely miss Agon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

he was simply overhyped...not that he wasnt productive but certainly not what was adverstised when the sox made the lateral move to trade for a 1B...he also had the personality of a wet noodle and wasnt exactly a winner.....do you really think that was all worth the 20 mil a yr or whatever god awful amount he was making?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

True, and on paper, it seems we could easily do better with the money saved than what we lost. I am not for signing these guys, but who here would really have CC, Josh & AGon over Hamilton, Greinke & Napoli?

Josh Hamilton, Zack Greinke and Mike Napoli could land free agent contracts that would approach or top the $275 million (and combined 12-year commitment) saved in the trade of Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez.

Tough call.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Josh Hamilton, Zack Greinke and Mike Napoli could land free agent contracts that would approach or top the $275 million (and combined 12-year commitment) saved in the trade of Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez.

I am not for signing any of these three, but I brought up the point to show that the big 3 can be replaced at the same cost with better overall players.

I do think we can get all three for the money we would have spent on CC, Josh & AGon.

Tough call.

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would.......... CC will be better than Napoli in the long run....Agon except for HRs is better than Hamilton and more consistent....Josh and Zach are a wash just my opinion.....

There is NO FA out there to replace AGon in any way shape or form. There is also no OF that has the same abilities as CC.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would.......... CC will be better than Napoli in the long run....Agon except for HRs is better than Hamilton and more consistent....Josh and Zach are a wash just my opinion.....

There is NO FA out there to replace AGon in any way shape or form. There is also no OF that has the same abilities as CC.

[/QUOTE]

thanks for the laugh

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jim,

If this was Fantasy baseball, then yes, the Sox aren't better "on paper" right now, but if you don't think the Sox aren't a heck of a lot better off than they were before they made that trade, then you're not seeing the big picture.  The Dodgers gave the Sox a "gift." 

Crawford's "production" should easily be replaced at a fraction of the cost, Beckett was brutal this year and he pretty much became the most disliked Sox player I can ever remember and Adrian Gonzalez, (just an opinion) is the epitome of a "stat" guy and it may be fitting that one of his last at bats in a Sox uniform, he struck out swinging on three straight pitches in the bottom of the ninth with the game on the line...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

thanks for the laugh

[/QUOTE]

I laughed too!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

It's not just Crawford and Beckett and Punto we dumped off on the Dodgers, we also lost AGon's huge contract. He was worth not much more or less than what he was paid, so if we replace his contract "in knid", in theory, losing him is a wash.

The big plus comes from the money saved on the other 3 guys and some very decent prospects are the icing on the cake.

[/QUOTE]

Moon---the money saved doesn't mean jack sheeeet unless the team is willing to spend some of it to upgrade the team.  So far everything I've read on the various blogs hint that Henry might just flat out not spend the money and instead keep a bum like Loney at first and DeJesus at utiity IF.   The latter is even worse than baLoney.  As for the prospects, don't get carried away with DeLaRosa.  He was pretty much of a wild head case when he pitched for the Bums in 2010, and the other pitcher is a wild card as well.  So much for your "decent prospects".  Jerry Sands might turn out to be a solid hitter with power IF he is given a real chance to play and perform.

Most everyone knows by now the Dodgers wanted Gonzales and were willing to take Punto, Beckett and Crawford as a package deal but unless Sands comes through big this is not a trade we are going to be celebrating in a year or to, especially if we don't get a better first baseman than baLoney, a better utility IF than DeJesus and some solid pitching from those two we got in a trade----and I have some serious doubts about that

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's not just Crawford and Beckett and Punto we dumped off on the Dodgers, we also lost AGon's huge contract. He was worth not much more or less than what he was paid, so if we replace his contract "in knid", in theory, losing him is a wash.

The big plus comes from the money saved on the other 3 guys and some very decent prospects are the icing on the cake.

[/QUOTE]

Moon---the money saved doesn't mean jack sheeeet unless the team is willing to spend some of it to upgrade the team.  So far everything I've read on the various blogs hint that Henry might just flat out not spend the money and instead keep a bum like Loney at first and DeJesus at utiity IF.   The latter is even worse than baLoney.  As for the prospects, don't get carried away with DeLaRosa.  He was pretty much of a wild head case when he pitched for the Bums in 2010, and the other pitcher is a wild card as well.  So much for your "decent prospects".  Jerry Sands might turn out to be a solid hitter with power IF he is given a real chance to play and perform.

Most everyone knows by now the Dodgers wanted Gonzales and were willing to take Punto, Beckett and Crawford as a package deal but unless Sands comes through big this is not a trade we are going to be celebrating in a year or to, especially if we don't get a better first baseman than baLoney, a better utility IF than DeJesus and some solid pitching from those two we got in a trade----and I have some serious doubts about that

[/QUOTE]

You read bad blogs

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You read bad blogs

[/QUOTE]

I do Jasko?  Tell me why and what blogs are the good ones.  Or are you trying to tell me that having baLoney at first again next season and the worthless hitting Iglesias at SS is going to somehow make us forget that we lost a helluva good ballplayer in Gonzales.  No way you're going to convince me of that but t ry if you want.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You read bad blogs

[/QUOTE]

I do Jasko?  Tell me why and what blogs are the good ones.  Or are you trying to tell me that having baLoney at first again next season and the worthless hitting Iglesias at SS is going to somehow make us forget that we lost a helluva good ballplayer in Gonzales.  No way you're going to convince me of that but t ry if you want.

[/QUOTE]

I CAN tell you that James Loney won't be the starting first baseman for the Sox next year and I CAN tell you that anyone who understands the business of baseball will tell you that the Sox received a gift from the Dodgers, but I CAN'T tell you whether or not the 22 year old Jose Iglesias will hit enough to justify his spectacular defense next year, or if he will be given the opportunity to do so, but if they upgrade their offense enough at other positions, they SHOULD be able to give him an opportunity to play on a regular basis.  Either way, I'm going to wait until the "Hot Stove" season is over before I have any kind of an opinion on how good this team will be next year. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It's fairly straightforward.  I'll give you a straight charity bet that Loney is not our opening day 1B.  This just sounds like something you read in a post somewhere that you want to use tp upset yourself.

LMK if you're interested in the wager.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You read bad blogs

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I CAN tell you that James Loney won't be the starting first baseman for the Sox next year and I CAN tell you that anyone who understands the business of baseball will tell you that the Sox received a gift from the Dodgers, but I CAN'T tell you whether or not the 22 year old Jose Iglesias will hit enough to justify his spectacular defense next year, or if he will be given the opportunity to do so, but if they upgrade their offense enough at other positions, they SHOULD be able to give him an opportunity to play on a regular basis.  Either way, I'm going to wait until the "Hot Stove" season is over before I have any kind of an opinion on how good this team will be next year. 

[/QUOTE]

Fair and reasonable response Jasko.  I just wish I had the confidence in Cherington that you do----which I most certainly do not.  You will be able to see the smoke coming out of my ears all the way back in Boston if Cherington has the stupidity to resign Loney.  I hold him in lower esteem that Trotter does Ellsbury.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's fairly straightforward.  I'll give you a straight charity bet that Loney is not our opening day 1B.  This just sounds like something you read in a post somewhere that you want to use tp upset yourself.

LMK if you're interested in the wager.

[/QUOTE]

Since I have absolutely no use for or confidence in Cherington's ability, let's make it a $10.00 bet.  I will let you know what charity to bet on.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from baddad. Show baddad's posts

kudos to those who got my intended  point.....gonzalez will be missed and so will what i project his numbers to be.next year and the year after etc... agons  allegedly bad season was better than the vast majority of hitters  good seasons......it was a whole lot better then torii hunters poor season of a couple of years ago.....much better in fact   and yes the good tori returned and most posters here now want him in boston......i dont think you can assume without some concrete accurate information that the dodgers would have not taken beckett or crawford withot agon......im sure they are counting on the return of a healty crawford and his former healthy numbers.....who can say that a couple of decent prospects instead of agon wouldnt have suited the dodgers......who can say valentine didnt have a lot to do with agons departure.....in fact with beckets lousy attitude in sept of 2010 yet his strong  numbers for the 2010 season ....wasnt the 2010 off season ,,,the time to dump him, his contract and crawfords also yet get something decent back.......it not just a simple case of addition by subtraction.....the subtraction of agons numbers and glove even without the homeruns is still just that...subtraction......i would be very surpised that any addition at first base comes anywhere near that of equaling the subtraction of agons bat and glove

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon---the money saved doesn't mean jack sheeeet unless the team is willing to spend some of it to upgrade the team. 

I agree, but am against going "all in" with this weak FA class. That's one reason I think we should gear towards 2014, and we may need to spend big to get a key piece or two.

So far everything I've read on the various blogs hint that Henry might just flat out not spend the money and instead keep a bum like Loney at first and DeJesus at utiity IF.  

Loney will not be our starting 1Bman next year. As for the utility guy, if DeJesus beats out Ciriaco in ST, I won't lose any sleep,

The latter is even worse than baLoney.  As for the prospects, don't get carried away with DeLaRosa.  He was pretty much of a wild head case when he pitched for the Bums in 2010, and the other pitcher is a wild card as well.  So much for your "decent prospects".  Jerry Sands might turn out to be a solid hitter with power IF he is given a real chance to play and perform.

I said the day after the trade, "I'd have made the same trade for no prospects." Dumping CC alone was worth losing AGon and his contract cost that was not all that great of a deal to begin with. Losing Beckett and Punto was the gravy.

Most everyone knows by now the Dodgers wanted Gonzales and were willing to take Punto, Beckett and Crawford as a package deal but unless Sands comes through big this is not a trade we are going to be celebrating in a year or to, especially if we don't get a better first baseman than baLoney, a better utility IF than DeJesus and some solid pitching from those two we got in a trade----and I have some serious doubts about that.

If you need Sands to do well to make you happy, you may be pretty sad. Webster & de la Rosa are pretty nice prospects with several years of team control at low cost. Let's wait and see how much Henry spends the next 2 winters before we go off on anyone. (Plus, we could build a contender without spending $180M if we play our cards right.)