4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: why does nobody miss adrian gonzalez

In response to jackbu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"ok, my bad they only went from a half game out of first in their division to eight games out once they acquired adrian."

The above is your post, right? Are you inferring that one Dodger player was responsible for their collapse? You blame it all on Adrian because you hate him?

[/QUOTE]

how old are you, 5?  Bringing in players during the season can hurt a team.  the dodgers were rolling along until adrian arrived.  I don't hate him but I am glad he is gone.  You have to look at the facts which are the dodgers did worse once adrian arrived.

in 07 we brought in eric gagne and that did not help us one bit.  He turned out to be such a disaster I believe we left him off the world series roster.  We gave up a great triple a pitcher too for him, kason gabbard

[/QUOTE]

i don't see how adding A-gon and getting rid of loney hurt their team..... or at least how the failure can all be attributed to a-gon. not only is he 25 times the player loney is, he is 1 man... and last i knew there are 24 others who had a part in it also

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

I am not blaming adrian for the entire mess, just stating the facts.  Talk radio out in la wasn't too happy with him after a few weeks.

Just saying that I am glad he is gone from Boston and the fact that the dodger slipped once he arrived, makes me even more happy that we dumped him.

[/QUOTE]

we didn't really dump him. we reluctantly traded him to be rid of CC and becketts contract. iceing on the cake that he had a hefty contract too.

sad to see him go but he was the sacrifice to free up all that money. still, its going to be hard to fill that huge hole in the lineup and at 1st base.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

we didn't really dump him. we reluctantly traded him to be rid of CC and becketts contract. iceing on the cake that he had a hefty contract too.

sad to see him go but he was the sacrifice to free up all that money. still, its going to be hard to fill that huge hole in the lineup and at 1st base.

Correctomundo, but 1B is a loaded position. We should be able to find someone who can give us half to two-thirds of what AGon gave us, but at a fraction of the cost.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

at adrian's salary I would consider it a dump.  He was another who racked up numbers without a lot of game winning rbi's.  I did not dislike him but a few of his comments made it hard to admire him.

[/QUOTE]

what does it matter where he got his numbers? 1 run in the first is just as important as 1 run in the ninth....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

at adrian's salary I would consider it a dump.  He was another who racked up numbers without a lot of game winning rbi's.  I did not dislike him but a few of his comments made it hard to admire him.

[/QUOTE]

what does it matter where he got his numbers? 1 run in the first is just as important as 1 run in the ninth....

[/QUOTE]

no doubt mef.  the issue with adrian is that the Sox were betting that taking Adrian out of the vast caverns of the NL West and inserting him in an actual major league lineup in the hitter-friendly AL East parks would extrapolate into Adrian hitting 40-50 HRs and being an absolute power beast.  That projection was worth 20-25 million per year.  But, all ridiculous personality criticisms aside, you can get near the production Adrian was putting up for significantly less.  I loved watching Adrian hit (in 2011), despite his lack of dingers.  He was a Williams/Manny-esque ninja at the plate.  Somehow, dont know if it was mechanical or what, he lost that ninja edge last year.  Chasing much more.  Pitch recognition was strangely weak.  Sure, chalk it up to an off-year.  But, at the end of the day, while I am sad to see him go and actually DO miss him (loved watching him play d too, one of the best I have ever seen at first), I am not sad to see the Sox get out from underrneath his mega-contract.  They signed him to that giant number to be Manny, nothing less.  He was something less, so, bottom line, those dollars are better spent elsewhere (Ace pitcher, i'm looking at you ... 2014).

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

are you serious?  runs scored when the game is out of reach aren't the same when the score is 3-2.  he is another hitter who hits best when the pressure is off.

[/QUOTE]

so your telling me all the numbers A-gon put up were when the game is out of reach??

how about this.. tell me how many home runs and RBIs he had in "meaningless" situations.. he only led the MLB last season in BA with RISP. but i guess those were meaningless runners.

do you have ANY figures that can back up your position??

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

are you serious?  runs scored when the game is out of reach aren't the same when the score is 3-2.  he is another hitter who hits best when the pressure is off.

[/QUOTE]

so your telling me all the numbers A-gon put up were when the game is out of reach??

how about this.. tell me how many home runs and RBIs he had in "meaningless" situations.. he only led the MLB last season in BA with RISP. but i guess those were meaningless runners.

[/QUOTE]

did not say that but he left a lot on and went thru some serious slumps.  If you like him so much, move to LA.. He did not do much after the all star break his first season here.  He blamed his home run derby hangover on ortiz talking him in to going.  Last season he never reached his potential.

Sorry if you miss your boy but it is time to move on.  he seemed like a decent guy but he was just another player who likes to play in empty ball parks, fenway was not for him.  Not sure if you have been to any west coast parks, but they are pretty empty and no reporters bugging for interviews.

[/QUOTE]

just because i oppose your point that a-gon wasn't a fit nor did he have meaningful hits doesn't mean i'm in love with the guy.... im in love with jacoby. i just don't usderstand how you came to your position and would like to see how you did. some stats would be awesome.

sorry if i am sad to see the best 1st baseman in baseball leave our team. clearly that isn't as big a deal to you. to each their own

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

sorry if i am sad to see the best 1st baseman in baseball leave our team. clearly that isn't as big a deal to you. to each their own

1)There are five 1Bmen with a higher OPS than AGon from 2010-2012.

2) There are another five within .050 of AGon's .890 OPS at 1B. (These 10 do not even include Teixeira, Howard, Morneau, Freeman and Trumbo.)

3) The contract cost of AGon was not a great savings. He was paid what he was worth is being generous. The dumping of CC and Beckett far outweigh the loss of AGon without even considering the prospects we got.

It will not be easy to replace AGon's overall game at 1B. There is not doubt that he is one of the best 6 1Bmen in MLB right now, but the drop off from #5 or 6 to #10-12 is not that steep, and one could argue that the differential is not worth $10-14M more than mid-level 1Bmen. Agon's replacemnt is almost surely not going to perform like AGon will, but with the savings, in theory, we can more than make up for the differential by improving 2-4 other positions with the extra cash.

19. This post has been removed.