Why fix anything?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Why fix anything?

I never said my analogy was the best, but it wasn't inappropriate.

Wink

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bullpen help. Thats all I see right now.

Lester is righting the ship, Lackey is pitching like a stud, Buch is progressing nicely and demp and Doubie are great in the 4-5 slots. No need to make a move there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Bullpen help. Thats all I see right now.

Lester is righting the ship, Lackey is pitching like a stud, Buch is progressing nicely and demp and Doubie are great in the 4-5 slots. No need to make a move there.

Aceves looks like a nice 6th starter too, but history shows that our starters miss over 50 starts more often than not. So far, they have missed only 11.

I think we pick up a pen arm and a servicable 3Bman (unless Drew wakes up).

Nothing big.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

moonslav likes to make deals because he has a terrific grasp of statistics--not just Sox stats, but stats for practically every player in MLB.  He knows who can be bought or traded for and who not.  I, on the other hand, know little about available players from other teams, especially those who might be obtainable and might help.

In this particular instance, I would argue ignorance is advantageous because it just might avoid or prevent a trade that looks good but doesn't work or, worse, gives up too much.  My argument in the OP is simple:  the Sox are playing great right now, and they even have enough depth in their system to replace injuries on the big club. I am arguing, caveat emptor, and to me moonslav is arguing, "I love the action.  Let's make some moves.  Let's gamble." 

So let's take a look at the three big needs moonslav would like to fill come the end of this month.

1.  Righty bat for the middle of the order, a guy who can be counted on to smack those lefty pitchers other teams just know can shut down the Sox.  My first point is that it can't be happening that often if the Sox have scored more runs than any other team in MLB.  My second is that the Sox have two pretty good righty bats, Middelbrooks and Bogaerts, at Pawtucket.  One or both might be ready for the big club by the end of the month.  My third is that really good righty bats are expensive in salary and in what the Sox would have to give up.  A Michael Young might be more readily available, but how can the Sox be sure he will deliver?  My fourth would be, who gets dumped from the lineup to make room for Young?  Drew?   

2.  Stud starter like Cliff Lee.  Three real problems I see:  a) unproven in the AL East and all those DHs; b) huge salary, $25M/year, presumably to replace Doubront or Dempster; c) Philly will want some really good minor talent in return.  I think the same arguments can be made for almost any other really good starter out there. 

3.  Bullpen.  I can't disagree.  With Hanrahan out and Bailey struggling, it would be nice to get one more really good righty arm.  My big concern, however, is what said at the beginning, caveat emptor.  Any reliever who is available during the season must be suspect or he wouldn't be available.  It's that simple. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

moonslav likes to make deals because he has a terrific grasp of statistics--not just Sox stats, but stats for practically every player in MLB.  He knows who can be bought or traded for and who not.  I, on the other hand, know little about available players from other teams, especially those who might be obtainable and might help.

In this particular instance, I would argue ignorance is advantageous because it just might avoid or prevent a trade that looks good but doesn't work or, worse, gives up too much.  My argument in the OP is simple:  the Sox are playing great right now, and they even have enough depth in their system to replace injuries on the big club. I am arguing, caveat emptor, and to me moonslav is arguing, "I love the action.  Let's make some moves.  Let's gamble." 

So let's take a look at the three big needs moonslav would like to fill come the end of this month.

1.  Righty bat for the middle of the order, a guy who can be counted on to smack those lefty pitchers other teams just know can shut down the Sox.  My first point is that it can't be happening that often if the Sox have scored more runs than any other team in MLB.  My second is that the Sox have two pretty good righty bats, Middelbrooks and Bogaerts, at Pawtucket.  One or both might be ready for the big club by the end of the month.  My third is that really good righty bats are expensive in salary and in what the Sox would have to give up.  A Michael Young might be more readily available, but how can the Sox be sure he will deliver?  My fourth would be, who gets dumped from the lineup to make room for Young?  Drew?   

2.  Stud starter like Cliff Lee.  Three real problems I see:  a) unproven in the AL East and all those DHs; b) huge salary, $25M/year, presumably to replace Doubront or Dempster; c) Philly will want some really good minor talent in return.  I think the same arguments can be made for almost any other really good starter out there. 

3.  Bullpen.  I can't disagree.  With Hanrahan out and Bailey struggling, it would be nice to get one more really good righty arm.  My big concern, however, is what said at the beginning, caveat emptor.  Any reliever who is available during the season must be suspect or he wouldn't be available.  It's that simple. 

Max, there's one player you might like trading for.  His name is Stan Patt.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is nothing that needs fixing but there is always room for improvement.

A .702 3B OPs is not in need of fixing?

If Iggy is the "fixing" at 3B, then SS is not in need of fixing?

What about the pen? A- OK?

[/QUOTE]

Yikes, it’s just a matter of semantics.  I simply think the word Fix is a bit harsh to use on a 1st place team.  Improve seems more appropriate and less desperate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There is nothing that needs fixing but there is always room for improvement.

A .702 3B OPs is not in need of fixing?

If Iggy is the "fixing" at 3B, then SS is not in need of fixing?

What about the pen? A- OK?

[/QUOTE]

Yikes, it’s just a matter of semantics.  I simply think the word Fix is a bit harsh to use on a 1st place team.  Improve seems more appropriate and less desperate.

[/QUOTE]

1st place teams often have a serious weakness. We may be arguing semantics here, but I think 3B needs fixing, and by doing so, we also improve SS and utility IF.

Our pen needs "improving" too, even if just in case someone else breaks down.

I don't think Ben will do anything drastic this deadline, but A COUPLE of tweeks here and there may be called for and done.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Righty bat for the middle of the order, a guy who can be counted on to smack those lefty pitchers other teams just know can shut down the Sox.  My first point is that it can't be happening that often if the Sox have scored more runs than any other team in MLB.  My second is that the Sox have two pretty good righty bats, Middelbrooks and Bogaerts, at Pawtucket.  One or both might be ready for the big club by the end of the month.  My third is that really good righty bats are expensive in salary and in what the Sox would have to give up.  A Michael Young might be more readily available, but how can the Sox be sure he will deliver?  My fourth would be, who gets dumped from the lineup to make room for Young?  Drew?   

Obviously Drew, especially vs LHPs.

I'm not a big Young fan, but if, as you worry, he doesn't pan out, we just play Drew again (vs RHPs). I doubt we have to give up any top prospect to get Young, but if we do, I'd pass on him.

A.Ramirez from the Brewers would be a better choice and better chance of doing well. He will cost a bit more, but his salary is high, so that will lessen the return value considerably.

We could also just look for a 3b or utility-type IF'er who has a specialty of hitting LHPs very well, and platoon Drew and that guy (Iggy playing SS vs LHPs and 3b vs RHPs).

Best 3Bmen vs LHPs since 2011: (available only listed)  vs RHP in parentesis

6) A Ramirez  .894  (.865)

7) Plouffe   .892  (.691)

15) Young  .829  (.743)

19) Headley .795  (.797)

Drew is .732 vs RHPs, but only .610 vs LHPs since 2011.  (Career: .784/.691) The number vs RHPs is not bad, but his number vs LHPs can be seriously improved upon. A Ramirez would be a huge improvement against LHPs and RHPs as well as on defense at SS.

If we got Rmairez and all players followed their recent 3 year numbers, we'd see this:

vs LHPs:  + .284 in OPS

vs RHPs:  +.133 in OPS

with Young:

vs LHPs:  + .219

vs RHPs: + .011 (maybe not worth playing Young here as he is a weak fielder)

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Stud starter like Cliff Lee.  Three real problems I see:  a) unproven in the AL East and all those DHs; b) huge salary, $25M/year, presumably to replace Doubront or Dempster; c) Philly will want some really good minor talent in return.  I think the same arguments can be made for almost any other really good starter out there. 

I'm not for giving up top prospects for Lee and his salary.

He does have 68 career starts vs the AL east, so i wouldn't say he is "unproven" there.

Balt  4-2  4.45

Bos  4-5  3.57

NYY  6-4  4.42

TB   6-6  3.11

Tor  3-5  4.46

Plus this...

Playoffs vs AL EAST:

2009 vs NYY: 2-0  2.81

2010: vs TBR 2-0  1.13

2010: vs NYY  1-0  0.00

That's 5-0  1.58 ERA in the clutch with 40 IP  26 Hits  4 BB  47 Ks

Sox4ever.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The most glaring need by far, as many have already pointed out, is bullpen help, particularly a closer. That would move everyone down one notch: Uehara could become a setup man again etc. I think we probably have enough SP if Buchholtz can manage to stay healthy and Lester continues what he has done in the last two games. The five SP we have now plus Aceves and Webster give us 7 and others in the minors could make a spot start as well. We lead the AL in runs scored and are tied (with the Indians, of all teams) in OPS+. And thats with Napoli in a two month slump. I don't think scoring runs is going to be an issue. If they can manage to get through this west coast swing unscathed they will be in as good a shape as they can be, barring unforeseen disasters.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If they can manage to get through this west coast swing unscathed they will be in as good a shape as they can be, barring unforeseen disasters.

I agree that the west coast trip can tell us a lot about what direction we may need to take at the dedline (if any).

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

If they can manage to get through this west coast swing unscathed they will be in as good a shape as they can be, barring unforeseen disasters.

I agree that the west coast trip can tell us a lot about what direction we may need to take at the dedline (if any).

Sox4ever

Frankly, this team has greatly surprised me, in a good way. I cannot imagine we will be out of it by the ASB. I assume by "direction" you mean as relates to our needs to make a run at the playoffs, not as in become sellers. That is not going to happen unless we go 0-10 on the west coast.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Frankly, this team has greatly surprised me, in a good way. I cannot imagine we will be out of it by the ASB. I assume by "direction" you mean as relates to our needs to make a run at the playoffs, not as in become sellers. That is not going to happen unless we go 0-10 on the west coast.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, what needs we have might be clearer in focus.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Why ever get an oil change? Everything is working fine.

Two words: preventive maintenance.

Sox4ever

You really need to work on your analogies, moonslav.  Getting a new player is like getting a new part, not getting an oil change.  Getting a new manager is a little like an oil change, and the Sox have already done that twice in two years.   Right now Farrell is doing a very good job with the players he has.  The chemistry on this team--like lubrication in your analogy--is pretty darn good. 

The best move the Sox have made recently with respect to players was getting rid of three of them last year and not just any three but three stars.   In lieu of AGon, who I thought was pretty darn good in Boston, the Sox now have a catcher retread, Napoli, who so far is working out OK.  In lieu of Crawford in LF, the Sox are going with a late bloomer, Nava, who works a heckuva cheaper than the $20M/year Crawford and has been effective.  In lieu of Beckett, who was key to the 2003 and 2007 WS wins by Miami and Boston, the Sox have Dempster who at least goes to the mound when it's his turn and has been middling successful.  The Sox also added Victorino  to help the OF and as a hedge against Ellsbury leaving and Bradley not being ready.   Worthing noting is that neither Dempster nor Victorino came cheap, but so far they have been good values. 

As I suggested in the final paragraph of my OP, I am not totally against any trade.  What I am saying is that the team is playing awfully well right now with just two all-stars, Ortiz and Pedroia.  I would love to see a great front-line starter, but believe the cost for one would be exhorbitant, maybe some combination of $25M/year and Bogaerts and maybe more.  Same goes for a really good righty bat. 

The three choices in this situation are:  1) do nothing (which my OP half-heartedly advocates); 2) do something big and bold; 3) do something that can help but doesn't sell the farm.  I would far rather do 1 or 3 than something big and bold. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Why does Moon slav always post in bold? Its very annoying and I jus ignore his posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to jader's comment:

Why does Moon slav always post in bold? Its very annoying and I jus ignore his posts

We had a nice little discussion about Gomes in the 'HR' thread.  I thought you'd like to share your insights.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

If you do that you will be missing out on one of the most knowledgeable posters here. Your choice.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxFan88's comment:

Teresa Hanafin is a devout, gunho, obsessed Red Sox fan and yet she keeps taking directions on which posters annoy Pumpsie and who should be banned. Teresa Hanafin can be emailed or phoned and Pumpsie calls her and reads her the riot act on who is a Red Sox fan and who isn't. We all know better than Teresa that Pumpsie is a faux Red Sox fan.  Pumpsie does an excellent snow job on Teresa. Maybe Teresa likes Pumpsie because her forum needs a perpetual pessimist and negative person.  Call Teresa or email her and let her know that Pumpsie is not a Red Sox fan. Shame on Teresa for selling out.

You have to post this on THREE threads Pike? I guess you feel we just can't get enough of you. You were disciplined for a reason Pike, and this is an example of why you were given a vacation. Try discussing baseball for a change.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My eyesight is failing.

I'll try to ignore your posts too, deal?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pike is 10 times more annoying than Pumpsie.

At least Pumpsie talks baseball on a baseball site, instead of non-stop personal attacks, insinuations and evaluations.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

At least Pumpsie talks baseball on a baseball site, instead of non-stop personal attacks, insinuations and evaluations.

Sox4ever

Just TEN TIMES more annoying Moon? Really? I am truly insulted. Cry

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Just TEN TIMES more annoying Moon? Really? I am truly insulted. Cry

[/QUOTE]

How about 11 times more?

Surprised