Why I love the Rivalry

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Why I love the Rivalry

The first time I remember hearing the Red Sox on the radio was the summer of 1967. I had a pitcher's glove and loved to play babseball in the front yard with the other boys from my neighborhood in Augusta Maine. My Father and Grandfather both loved the Red Sox and I used to sit in grampy's Fairlane and listen to Ned Martin and Ken Coleman while he drank Black Labels or Naragansetts. Once a week or so the Sox would be on the telly and we'd all watch the game and listen to Curt Gowdy. To this day I still think those were the best baseball announcers I've ever heard. Maybe it's just because the summer of 1967 was such a magical summer for baseball if you were a Red Sox fan. No one has ever won the triple crown again to this day. The team that really hooked me for life though, was the 1975 team. To me that was the best Red Sox team ever. Yaz and Luis were still around and Tony C even came back for a few PAs. Then you had Rice, Lynn, Evans, Fisk and Burleson. Rick Wise had a very good year on the hill as Tiant's #2, and Diego Segui and Dick Drago were pretty good out of the pen. In the world series everyone talks about Fisk's home run in game 6, but to me the best moment of the entire series was Bernie Carbo's pinch hit 3 run home run to send the game into extra innings. My next favorite team is of course the idiots. I't's pretty hard not to like Kevin Millar, Johnny Damon, Manny, Pedro and crew. Tell us why you love the Red Sox.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Re: Why I love the Red Sox

When I was a kid, I used to play strat-o-matic baseball with my brother, so I was baseball fan before football, b-ball, and hockey. I played for the Angels in little league in the 80's, so they were always my 2nd favorite team. My first baseball memory was my first game at Fenway when my dad took me to an Angels game. We sat grandstand, first base side. Yaz hit a homer halfway up the bleachers in right field. He instantly become my favorite player. A year later, I cried when he ran his lap around Fenway. I was 9.

A few years later, I was 12..and sitting in front of my TV with the biggest smile I've ever had while the Mets had two outs with no runners on base. Sox were 1 out away. No word of a lie, at that moment, my mother walked in and said, "They'll blow it'. You know the rest...once the game ended, I went upstairs to bed and cried.

Fast forward to 2004. Down 3-0, I was offered tickets to game 4 on Sunday night. C'mon...I knew the deal. We were done, and I had to work the next morning. It's over...I'm probably not even going to watch it. But, I did watch it. Not only did I watch it, but for superstitious reasons, I spent the last 3 hours of the game standing about 2 feet from the TV, hands on my knees, stressed and awaiting the inevitable. And then something changed. Dave Roberts. Bill Mueller. The pitching staff. 3-1. Papi. Let's not forget Millar's walk. 

I then watched the next 3 games standing, in the same position...alone, because I wasn't taking any chances. One of the greatest things I have ever seen in sports...ever. And it was made so much more special because of the previous 20+ years.

Not sure which team I would call my favorite, but Pedro would be my favorite player of all time. Best pitcher (in his prime) that I've ever seen (Cleveland, Boston All Star Game, 1-hitter in NY, etc). Watching him pitch was like watching Tom Brady play QB. It's just witnessing greatness. The 100 year anniversary, earlier this year, just reinforced how much I love the Sox.

And by the way, my mother is no longer allowed to watch any sporting events in the same room as me or my brother.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Why I love the Red Sox:
    [QUOTE]When I was a kid, I used to play strat-o-matic baseball with my brother, so I was baseball fan before football, b-ball, and hockey. I played for the Angels in little league in the 80's, so they were always my 2nd favorite team. My first baseball memory was my first game at Fenway when my dad took me to an Angels game. We sat grandstand, first base side. Yaz hit a homer halfway up the bleachers in right field. He instantly become my favorite player. A year later, I cried when he ran his lap around Fenway. I was 9. A few years later, I was 12..and sitting in front of my TV with the biggest smile I've ever had while the Mets had two outs with no runners on base. Sox were 1 out away. No word of a lie, at that moment, my mother walked in and said, "They'll blow it'. You know the rest...once the game ended, I went upstairs to bed and cried. Fast forward to 2004. Down 3-0, I was offered tickets to game 4 on Sunday night. C'mon...I knew the deal. We were done, and I had to work the next morning. It's over...I'm probably not even going to watch it. But, I did watch it. Not only did I watch it, but for superstitious reasons, I spent the last 3 hours of the game standing about 2 feet from the TV, hands on my knees, stressed and awaiting the inevitable. And then something changed. Dave Roberts. Bill Mueller. The pitching staff. 3-1. Papi. Let's not forget Millar's walk.  I then watched the next 3 games standing, in the same position...alone, because I wasn't taking any chances. One of the greatest things I have ever seen in sports...ever. And it was made so much more special because of the previous 20+ years. Not sure which team I would call my favorite, but Pedro would be my favorite player of all time. Best pitcher (in his prime) that I've ever seen (Cleveland, Boston All Star Game, 1-hitter in NY, etc). Watching him pitch was like watching Tom Brady play QB. It's just witnessing greatness. The 100 year anniversary, earlier this year, just reinforced how much I love the Sox. And by the way, my mother is no longer allowed to watch any sporting events in the same room as me or my brother.
    Posted by tmot1234[/QUOTE]Thanks for posting that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Why I love the Rivalry

I guess mine dates back to when I was just learning the game. My old man (RIP) used to always talk about DiMaggio and Williams. Being Italian, DiMaggio and Berra were his favorites, but he also loved Joe's brothers. But he also thought no one had a better batting eye than Ted. Now my father was a Cards fans, but he taught me everything about the game as he learned it back in the last 20's. And yet, somehow the conversation always came back to Ted and Joe. He would never say who was better, but he said how I needed to always pay attention to NY vs Boston because there was always a game inside the game.

I love the rivalry - I loved the ALCS of 2003 and 2004. That was pure "Sit at the edge of your seat" excitement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Why I love the Rivalry:
    [QUOTE]The first time I remember hearing the Red Sox on the radio was the summer of 1967. I had a pitcher's glove and loved to play babseball in the front yard with the other boys from my neighborhood in Augusta Maine. My Father and Grandfather both loved the Red Sox and I used to sit in grampy's Fairlane and listen to Ned Martin and Ken Coleman while he drank Black Labels or Naragansetts. Once a week or so the Sox would be on the telly and we'd all watch the game and listen to Curt Gowdy. To this day I still think those were the best baseball announcers I've ever heard. Maybe it's just because the summer of 1967 was such a magical summer for baseball if you were a Red Sox fan. No one has ever won the triple crown again to this day. The team that really hooked me for life though, was the 1975 team. To me that was the best Red Sox team ever. Yaz and Luis were still around and Tony C even came back for a few PAs. Then you had Rice, Lynn, Evans, Fisk and Burleson. Rick Wise had a very good year on the hill as Tiant's #2, and Diego Segui and Dick Drago were pretty good out of the pen. In the world series everyone talks about Fisk's home run in game 6, but to me the best moment of the entire series was Bernie Carbo's pinch hit 3 run home run to send the game into extra innings. My next favorite team is of course the idiots. I't's pretty hard not to like Kevin Millar, Johnny Damon, Manny, Pedro and crew. Tell us why you love the Red Sox.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Your story is mine, Carnie.

The Impossible Dream season hooked me.

My parents were Sox fans, but that was the summer we all made a point of listening to the games.

I remember going to school and the Sox were all anyone was talking about, including the teachers.

Rico Petrocelli and George Scott were my favorites.

And even though the Sox lost, '75 was the most exciting playoff series I'd ever seen, until 03' and '04.

I never gave the Yankees much thought until '78. I've hated them ever since.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]When I was a kid, I used to play strat-o-matic baseball with my brother, so I was baseball fan before football, b-ball, and hockey. I played for the Angels in little league in the 80's, so they were always my 2nd favorite team. My first baseball memory was my first game at Fenway when my dad took me to an Angels game. We sat grandstand, first base side. Yaz hit a homer halfway up the bleachers in right field. He instantly become my favorite player. A year later, I cried when he ran his lap around Fenway. I was 9. A few years later, I was 12..and sitting in front of my TV with the biggest smile I've ever had while the Mets had two outs with no runners on base. Sox were 1 out away. No word of a lie, at that moment, my mother walked in and said, "They'll blow it'. You know the rest...once the game ended, I went upstairs to bed and cried. Fast forward to 2004. Down 3-0, I was offered tickets to game 4 on Sunday night. C'mon...I knew the deal. We were done, and I had to work the next morning. It's over...I'm probably not even going to watch it. But, I did watch it. Not only did I watch it, but for superstitious reasons, I spent the last 3 hours of the game standing about 2 feet from the TV, hands on my knees, stressed and awaiting the inevitable. And then something changed. Dave Roberts. Bill Mueller. The pitching staff. 3-1. Papi. Let's not forget Millar's walk.  I then watched the next 3 games standing, in the same position...alone, because I wasn't taking any chances. One of the greatest things I have ever seen in sports...ever. And it was made so much more special because of the previous 20+ years. Not sure which team I would call my favorite, but Pedro would be my favorite player of all time. Best pitcher (in his prime) that I've ever seen (Cleveland, Boston All Star Game, 1-hitter in NY, etc). Watching him pitch was like watching Tom Brady play QB. It's just witnessing greatness. The 100 year anniversary, earlier this year, just reinforced how much I love the Sox. And by the way, my mother is no longer allowed to watch any sporting events in the same room as me or my brother.
    Posted by tmot1234[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this.  Agree with you about Pedro.  He is definitely my favorite Red Sox player ever.  Also about losing in 1986.  Very disappointing to all Red Sox fans who had waited many years to finally see the Red Sox win the World Series. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

for me the rivalry is great because imo though neither fanbase may want to admit it since probably the tail end of the Yanks title run 98' to 01 both teams have been similar those title teams and the Sox teams from 03 forward had much the same elements...solid starters, good pens, from about 1thru 7, long, relentless lineups that didn't stop coming at you and a belief that almost any deficit was no sweat...they both have had some of the same successes and stumbles, a championship, a short-circuited repeat attempt, a missed playoff season, they have played in two consecutive barnburner ALCS(03-04,trading victories)....both teams today continue to enjoy rabid fanbases...    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Why I love the Rivalry:
    [QUOTE]for me the rivalry is great because imo though neither fanbase may want to admit it since probably the tail end of the Yanks title run 98' to 01 both teams have been similar those title teams and the Sox teams from 03 forward had much the same elements...solid starters, good pens, from about 1thru 7, long, relentless lineups that didn't stop coming at you and a belief that almost any deficit was no sweat...they both have had some of the same successes and stumbles, a championship, a short-circuited repeat attempt, a missed playoff season, they have played in two consecutive barnburner ALCS(03-04,trading victories)....both teams today continue to enjoy rabid fanbases...    
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

C'mon, Jete!

Let the bile fly, just this once! Wink

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why I love the Rivalry : C'mon, Jete! Let the bile fly, just this once!
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE] ok, i take it back you @@#$$*'s are hopelessly inferior and not fit to be in the same air as us..Tongue outWink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

As carnie and 4 b's, 1967 and I was hooked. One summer day at the beach club, I disappeared, nowhere to be found. Dont know who long it took, but they found me...in the bar,watching the Red Sox game, on a black and white TV

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why I love the Rivalry : ok, i take it back you @@#$$*'s are hopelessly inferior and not fit to be in the same air as us..
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

LOL

That's more like it!!
    Feels good, doesn't it? Wink

Of course, somewhere down the line, Pike will take it out context and use it against you. LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]as carnie and 4 b's, 1967 and i was hooked. One summer day at the beach club, I disappeared, was nowhere to be found. Dont know who long it took, but they found me...in the bar, watching the Red Sox game, on a black and white TV
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Nice!

I watched a few games that summer, in a bar, with my father and uncle.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Nice post, carnie....I love the Yankee-Red Sox rivalry, even if it fizzled this year too soon....The Red Sox will be back when they can afford some decent starting pitching...Their position players, especially when Middlebrooks gets back next year, are at the top of their class..
    Posted by GreenPartyCelt[/QUOTE]

Au contraire GPC.  If the Yankees continue to scuffle and squander their division lead, the final weekend of the year may be very interesting.  A nice silver lining if the Sox could play spoiler to the Yankee's division crown, or, even better, knock them out of the playoffs altogether.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why I love the Rivalry : C'mon, Jete! Let the bile fly, just this once!
    Posted by ThefourBs[/QUOTE]

Never going to happen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why I love the Red Sox : Au contraire GPC.  If the Yankees continue to scuffle and squander their division lead, the final weekend of the year may be very interesting.  A nice silver lining if the Sox could play spoiler to the Yankee's division crown, or, even better, knock them out of the playoffs altogether.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Never happen SpaceAce. Yanks may blow it, but it won't be at the hands of team dysfunction. This Sox team makes the Yanks 2005-2008 almsot seem likable.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why I love the Red Sox : Never happen SpaceAce. Yanks may blow it, but it won't be at the hands of team dysfunction. This Sox team makes the Yanks 2005-2008 almsot seem likable.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Ha.  Sad but true Jessey.  This "team" is going nowhere, er, correction, backwards. But nothing can turn 25 cabs into 1 rocking party bus like the possibility of sticking it to the Yankees on the final weekend.  "Why not us"?