Why is Aceves allowed to pitch? Valentine: Aceves' outings are "like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get."

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Re: Why is Aceves allowed to pitch? Valentine: Aceves' outings are

Aceves is a hot head, but he is going to pitch well for someone again next year.

Right or wrong he is blaming Valentine who will not be managing anywhere next year.  This is clearly a case of Valentine not handling yet another situation very poorly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

With Aceves attitude he doesn't belong on any team.  A player is getting paid to perform whether he likes his manager or not.  He owes it to his teammates.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Did anyone notice that nobody came up to him in the dugout after he was taken out? I dont think his teammates really like him on this team either...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There is definitely something wrong with this guy.  He is a talented pitcher , but he is throwing it all away.   There could be some mental issue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did anyone notice that nobody came up to him in the dugout after he was taken out? I dont think his teammates really like him on this team either...

[/QUOTE]
    You may be right.  I always liked him but he hasn't been very good lately and he definitely has a bad attitude.  Maybe he will have a good season next year but I don't think he will be playing for the Red Sox. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Aceves is a hot head, but he is going to pitch well for someone again next year.

Right or wrong he is blaming Valentine who will not be managing anywhere next year.  This is clearly a case of Valentine not handling yet another situation very poorly.

[/QUOTE]

Frustration has settled in with a lot of players this season but I'm not sure it's do to a lack of talent with Alfredo.  As far as Cook goes thats a different story, our staff needs to be much improved and it doesn't give me a comfortable feeling knowing Lackey will be back in the mix.  Hopefully he proves me wrong.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'm getting sick of seeing us throw away talented players for the sake of club-house chemistry.    He's under team control for 2 more years - if you really want to get rid of him, wait for a hot streak next year and trade him to another team that will give us something in return.  Even with a bad 2012, his career numbers in very tough pitcher's parks are very, very good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

The Yankees and the Patriots are successful because they don't tolerate idiots like A.A.  

Sit him on the end of the bench, don't use him and release him within a half-hour of the end of game 162 (if it ever mercifully comes).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Brickbat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Yankees and the Patriots are successful because they don't tolerate idiots like A.A.  

Sit him on the end of the bench, don't use him and release him within a half-hour of the end of game 162 (if it ever mercifully comes).

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees never tolerated or got value out of Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson, Mickey Rivers, Rickey Henderson or Alfredo Aceves?  The Patriots got nothing out of Randy Moss?

At some point I agree you have to cut your losses...but managers aren't paid to manage the Havliceks, Jeters and Hannahs, they're paid to get the most of their mercurial, damaged talent.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Brickbat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Yankees never tolerated or got value out of Babe Ruth, Reggie Jackson, Mickey Rivers, Rickey Henderson or Alfredo Aceves?  The Patriots got nothing out of Randy Moss?

At some point I agree you have to cut your losses...but managers aren't paid to manage the Havliceks, Jeters and Hannahs, they're paid to get the most of their mercurial, damaged talent.

[/QUOTE]

Silly examples.  The Yankees in fact dumped Aceves because of his temper.  Ruth didn't have a temper and was only one of the best, if not the best, MLB players ever.  I think Reggie is in the HOF. 

Aceves does have ability, granted, but also has a temper.  Ironically, Bobby V was very supportive for most of the season, but had no choice but to suspend Aceves after that tantrum when Bobby alerted him Bailey would close (the night after Aceves threw 37 pitches and gave up several runs and the game).  Earlier, Bobby V was very supportive when Aceves the closer was blasted by opposing teams in April, etc. 

Aceves is not talented enough to justify his tantrums.  Few players are. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

"The Yankees in fact dumped Aceves because of his temper."

And you know this how?  Aceves was with the Yankees for 3 years.  Did his temper only crop up in Year 3?

It couldn't have had something to do with the back issues that limited him to 12 innings in 2010?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And you know this how?  Aceves was with the Yankees for 3 years.  Did his temper only crop up in Year 3?

It couldn't have had something to do with the back issues that limited him to 12 innings in 2010?

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, they didn't want to take a chance on him being able to bounce back from his injury, while the sox were willing to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcdohio. Show jcdohio's posts

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm getting sick of seeing us throw away talented players for the sake of club-house chemistry.    He's under team control for 2 more years - if you really want to get rid of him, wait for a hot streak next year and trade him to another team that will give us something in return.  Even with a bad 2012, his career numbers in very tough pitcher's parks are very, very good.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  He's had a bad year that's escalated.  He may need extended rest from overuse. But he's worth a shot in 2013, esp. with Valentine gone. I'm not sure he's that bad of a teammate, either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to jcdohio's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  He's had a bad year that's escalated.  He may need extended rest from overuse. But he's worth a shot in 2013, esp. with Valentine gone. I'm not sure he's that bad of a teammate, either.

[/QUOTE]

If you have problems with Pedroia , you might not be a very good teammate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I also wonder why we never heard about any issues with Aceves last season.  Not excusing Aceves for showing up his manager this year, but as far as I know, he hasn't behaved like this (or pitched like this) with any of his previous managers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to charliedarling's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Frustration has settled in with a lot of players this season but I'm not sure it's do to a lack of talent with Alfredo.  As far as Cook goes thats a different story, our staff needs to be much improved and it doesn't give me a comfortable feeling knowing Lackey will be back in the mix.  Hopefully he proves me wrong.

[/QUOTE]
    I am optimistic that Lackey will have a good season.  I heard a few local tv/radio announcers say that he looks better than he has in five years.   We have to hope that he has a good season and is able to help the Red Sox next year. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcdohio. Show jcdohio's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jcdohio's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you have problems with Pedroia , you might not be a very good teammate.

[/QUOTE]

Honestly, the dugout thing with Pedroia was overblown. Pedroia confronted Aceves and not the other way around. It was about those pick off moves. And Aceves got a bit defensive, but they talked it out after the initial 'heated words'.  Not like dugout confrontations never happen. Unfortunate, but this thing has been twisted to make Aceves look like the bad guy here.  You can argue with good reason that Aceves deserved to be confronted based on his poor choice of plays on the field, but the widely-spread implication that he somehow bullied Pedroia is just not true.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

With that pedroia thing in the dugout, I saw AA mouthing the words "Im the pitcher" as if he has all authoriy because of that. AA needs to realize that he cant make all the decisions because of that. Pedey has to be ready for that ball to come to second. AA almost threw it away. Sometimes its better to listen to someone else. Maybe his catcher knows best what pitch to throw in a certain situation. AA just needs to work better with his teammates from what Ive seen. Maybe he will do that, but if he is brought back in 2013 I have him on a short leash with that attitude.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.