Why should Saltalamacchia come back?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Why should Saltalamacchia come back?

I see people arguing over the merits of retaining Varitek and what to do about Lavarnway. To me, the easiest (and best) solution would be to start Lavarnway, keep Varitek as the backup (where he did fine in 2011), and let the vastly overrated Saltalamacchia go off to browner pastures, preferably in a trade. I just don't see the fascination with Saltalamacchia. Is it the .235 average that people love? The .288 OBA? The .450 SLG? The almost 5-to-1 K/BB ratio? The only good offensive number Saltalamacchia put up was in the homerun column and I'm confident that Lavarnway could match, if not exceed Saltalamacchia's 16 homeruns in 358 at-bats. Defensively, Saltalamacchia wasn't anything special either.

If I were the GM, I'd look to trade Saltalamacchia, even if for just a random relief pitcher, and go into 2012 with Lavarnway and Varitek as my catchers. Lavarnway could be an offensive juggernaut. There's no reason to delay his arrival by a year because of the mighty Jarrod Saltalamacchia who isn't really so mighty.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Why should Saltalamacchia come back?

In Response to Why should Saltalamacchia come back?:
    [QUOTE]I see people arguing over the merits of retaining Varitek and what to do about Lavarnway. To me, the easiest (and best) solution would be to start Lavarnway, keep Varitek as the backup (where he did fine in 2011), and let the vastly overrated Saltalamacchia go off to browner pastures, preferably in a trade. I just don't see the fascination with Saltalamacchia. Is it the .235 average that people love? The .288 OBA? The .450 SLG? The almost 5-to-1 K/BB ratio? The only good offensive number Saltalamacchia put up was in the homerun column and I'm confident that Lavarnway could match, if not exceed Saltalamacchia's 16 homeruns in 358 at-bats. Defensively, Saltalamacchia wasn't anything special either. If I were the GM, I'd look to trade Saltalamacchia, even if for just a random relief pitcher, and go into 2012 with Lavarnway and Varitek as my catchers. Lavarnway could be an offensive juggernaut. There's no reason to delay his arrival by a year because of the mighty Jarrod Saltalamacchia who isn't really so mighty.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Because he enjoys the comradeship...and the beer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Why would you want to keep Varitek over him at this stage of their careers??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Read Silverman's article in the Herald. 

Varitek should not be back:

1. Batted .077 in September
    2. Batted .176 over 2nd half.
    3. Threw out 14% of runners.
    4. What did he do about the clubhouse issues and did we hear from him?
    5. He's 40 years old.

No reasons.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Varitek has a significantly better CERA than Saltalamacchia. Offensively, they weren't that different. Varitek hit 11 homeruns and knocked in 36 runs with an OBA of .300, in 150 fewer at-bats than Saltalamacchia. If they're about the same on offense and defense, the only relevant questions should be cost and pitch-calling skills. Varitek beats out Saltalamacchia in both categories.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Because at this point you know what you get with Salty.  Lavarnaway is a gamble and I think this team has had a fill of resting the success or failure of the season on gambles.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Hernandez

Salty and Lavarnway battle it out in spring and summer, with all equal starting Lavarway in AAA.

Rid the team of a parasite named Varitek, who has been washed up for years and can't even finish a season without becoming an auto-out. Wastefield and Varitek most certainly cost the Red Sox the post season as they were not fit to be on the roster over final month or two, even if you pretend they were worthy of early season spot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Varitek was not any worse than Saltalamacchia. Look at the numbers. Varitek actually had a higher OBA than Saltalamacchia.

Wakefield, even counting unearned runs, was still better than Andrew Miller, Kyle Weiland and John Lackey (and Beckett and Lester in September). Plus it's not as though Francona really had much choice of who to send out to the mound once the injuries started to mount.

The Red Sox missed the playoffs for a variety of reasons. Scapegoating Varitek and Wakefield, while convenient, won't make the team any better next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

This is Salty's first full year playing in the major league level after he played for two other teams that were loaded with bunch of talent catchers.

Also, did you know that Veritek started playing full year with Boston when he was about the same age as Salty right now?  Back that time, Veritek shared the catching duty with Scott Hatteburg (remember him) for the next five years until 2001. Then after that, Boston have brought in so many different catchers from that point to today.  If you google the stats between Salty and Tek at the age of 26, both have simular stats. 

So therefore, there is not much difference between Tek and Salty at the age of 26.  Bring Salty back.  Tek is done!!!  too old to play as a catcher!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Again -- annointing Lavarnway as some great catcher after what -- 20 innings or so behind the plate in the majors. Ridiculous.

If I recall correctly, Salty ended up in the top five in CS% and most of his passed balls were because of Wake. He certainly has room for improvement. In three months he batted between .216 and .221 and batted just .162 in September. But he also showed good power and showed potential by hitting .327 in June and .283 in July.

Lavarnway might be a better hitter but he remains too much of an unknown to just hand him the job. I'm inclined to agree with Softy and let Lavarnway and Salty battle it out in the spring, although I'm not against having Tek as a backup catcher.

The posters who rail against Tek look completely idiotic the way they spend so much time agonizing over who the backup catcher is. If you're depending on your backup catcher to make the playoffs and win the W.S., you're not very good to begin with, especially when Tek's offensive numbers were better than about half the league's.

If Lavarnway's bat is for real, I would love it in the lineup. If he proves to be better than Salty offensively and doesn't kill you defensively, then fine, give him the job. But he has to earn it. Good catchers are too hard to fine to simply dump a catcher like Salty who has shown a lot of promise for a guy who put up fantasy numbers in the minors.

Maybe Lavarnway could be converted to a LF. Yeah, I know, Crawford is there. Please, one problem at a time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

He has some value because he is young and in his first full season he led all MLB catchers in XBH / PA (42 / 386).  (Weiters 50 / 551)

Plus he threw out over a third of base-stealers after the all-star game. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

In Response to Re: Why should Saltalamacchia come back?:
    [QUOTE]Because at this point you know what you get with Salty.  Lavarnaway is a gamble and I think this team has had a fill of resting the success or failure of the season on gambles.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

It is worth the gamble. Lavarnaway can't be any worse I don't think than Salty, but he could be a ton better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Umm... because he can throw out the occasional base stealer?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Because at this point you know what you get with Salty.  Lavarnaway is a gamble and I think this team has had a fill of resting the success or failure of the season on gambles.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Please explain which gamples you are talking about. Epstein does not gamble with prospects, he leaves in the minor leagues until they are too old, and if they ever make it to the show, they sit on the bench for another couple of years.
    Name one home grown player during Theo's tenure that was inserted into the starting line-up under the age of 25?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why should Saltalamacchia come back? : Please explain which gamples you are talking about. Epstein does not gamble with prospects, he leaves in the minor leagues until they are too old, and if they ever make it to the show, they sit on the bench for another couple of years. Name one home grown player during Theo's tenure that was inserted into the starting line-up under the age of 25?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]
    pedroia, ellsbury, lester, buchholtz all were starting (hitter or pitchers) prior to age 25.. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Again -- annointing Lavarnway as some great catcher after what -- 20 innings or so behind the plate in the majors. Ridiculous. If I recall correctly, Salty ended up in the top five in CS% and most of his passed balls were because of Wake. He certainly has room for improvement. In three months he batted between .216 and .221 and batted just .162 in September. But he also showed good power and showed potential by hitting .327 in June and .283 in July. Lavarnway might be a better hitter but he remains too much of an unknown to just hand him the job. I'm inclined to agree with Softy and let Lavarnway and Salty battle it out in the spring, although I'm not against having Tek as a backup catcher. The posters who rail against Tek look completely idiotic the way they spend so much time agonizing over who the backup catcher is. If you're depending on your backup catcher to make the playoffs and win the W.S., you're not very good to begin with, especially when Tek's offensive numbers were better than about half the league's. If Lavarnway's bat is for real, I would love it in the lineup. If he proves to be better than Salty offensively and doesn't kill you defensively, then fine, give him the job. But he has to earn it. Good catchers are too hard to fine to simply dump a catcher like Salty who has shown a lot of promise for a guy who put up fantasy numbers in the minors. Maybe Lavarnway could be converted to a LF. Yeah, I know, Crawford is there. Please, one problem at a time.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

CS is a poor indicator since SBs are off the pitcher more than the catcher. PBs and CWPs are a better indicator, and yes, CERA to some extent.
    Everyone want to give his 26 PBs a "pass" (pardon the pun) because he caught Wakefield. I'm sick of that alibi. I will say this one more time "VICTOR MARTINEZ
    HAD 4 PBs IN 2010"
    Why was it that he had no problem catching Wakefield unless it's because he's a better catcher?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

This team needs to get younger, not older.  Tek...like Tito...it is just time to go.  The Sox catchers don't compare with hardly anyone in the league and so allowing youth to break in certainly can't hurt anyone.  Wake gone would eliminate those PBs that the catchers collect during his stints on the mound.  Keep Salty and split the duties between Lavarnaway and him...the Sox don't need offense...even if Papi is not re-signed - pitching is their issue.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why should Saltalamacchia come back? : pedroia, ellsbury, lester, buchholtz all were starting (hitter or pitchers) prior to age 25.. 
    Posted by jrmccook[/QUOTE]

Bang, there goes another ridiculous, ignorant rant.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]I see people arguing over the merits of retaining Varitek and what to do about Lavarnway. To me, the easiest (and best) solution would be to start Lavarnway, keep Varitek as the backup (where he did fine in 2011), and let the vastly overrated Saltalamacchia go off to browner pastures, preferably in a trade. I just don't see the fascination with Saltalamacchia. Is it the .235 average that people love? The .288 OBA? The .450 SLG? The almost 5-to-1 K/BB ratio? The only good offensive number Saltalamacchia put up was in the homerun column and I'm confident that Lavarnway could match, if not exceed Saltalamacchia's 16 homeruns in 358 at-bats. Defensively, Saltalamacchia wasn't anything special either. If I were the GM, I'd look to trade Saltalamacchia, even if for just a random relief pitcher, and go into 2012 with Lavarnway and Varitek as my catchers. Lavarnway could be an offensive juggernaut. There's no reason to delay his arrival by a year because of the mighty Jarrod Saltalamacchia who isn't really so mighty.

We have two catchers, one in "TeK' who ages more every year defensively, doesn't have a strong throwing arm and hasn't hit much for a few years but calls a good game.  Then theres Salty, the guy Theo chose for Tek to mentor.  Why would Theo turn around and get rid of Salty over Tek after his first full year behind the plate?  Salty played as good or better than Tek but needs a more well rounded mentor to learn more from in my opinion.

My move would be:

#1 Don't sign Tek and hope for the best with Lavarnway and Salty.
    #2 Sign Y. Molina who does it all with Salty or Lavarnway as back up.
    #3 Sign Molina, Salty backs him up and Lavarnway moves to DH if David leaves.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Salty should follow Theo to the Cubs.  Salty is never going to be a top catcher. His hitting this last month was as bad as any hitter I have ever seen in the major leagues.  I felt bad for him as he had no chance to hit when the team was collapsing.  He should never play here again after this Sept.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

.737 OPS.  26 years old.  Excellent CS%.  PBs poor, but largely down to the knuckleball.

Only 7 teams in 2011, including the Sox, had a higher OPS than Salty (MLB average .720).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

You're way, way undervaluing Salty.  Pretend Lavarnway doesn't exist and tell me what you would do for next season?  Most people don't seem to understand that catchers are usually automatic outs.  Salty's OPS was good for 4th in the AL among catchers with at least his number of plate appearances.

Also, Salty was significantly better left-handed than right-handed, which means he can platoon with Lavarnway, who crushes lefties.  Between the two of them, we could very well have one of the best offensive catcher slots in the AL.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

The Sox SHOULD just let Tek go. We can use Lavarnway and Saltalamachia as our catchers. We need to get rid of some of the olders players and put young blood in this team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Varitek's wife is younger. 

But Salty's wife is a cougar.

Hmm...

Advantage Varitek.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ct-pitcher. Show ct-pitcher's posts

Rather than go over the endless array of catching stats - focus on the fact that if the clubhouse climate was as bad as we are now led to believe, where was the Captain?