Why the sox SHOULD sign Zach Grienke this offseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Why the sox SHOULD sign Zach Grienke this offseason

i have heard lots of people post as to why the sox shouldnt sign zach grienke, the top pitching free agent this offseason, well here is why I think the sox should sign him.

1) He would only cost money and a 2nd rounder, not a first and supplemental. The sox pick 7th this year (very rare for the sox to pick that high) and as a result our pick is protected. Meaning if we sign grienke, we only have to give up a 2nd rounder. 

2) Look at who else is available (or should i say likely available) 

Tim Lincecum - down year, era over 5, terrible mechanics and has only pitched in the NL, talk about an ellsbury for linecum deal, seems like alot to give up to me. I expect ells to have a big year this year.

Josh Johnson - good pitcher, an ace when healthy, but that seems to be a big if, i like johnson and would be all for getting him (perhaps we could get him an grienke, who knows) but he is injury prone and would cost a fair amount in terms of prospects.

Matt Garza - the cubs may or may not deal garza, if the price was low i would be interested but i think we need to aim higher, garza is a #2 tops, more a #3. We need an ace

Free agents

Peavy - older that grienke by 3 years, had a really good year last year, is he an ace? not really at this point, a good number 2 though, would i sign him? ya if the years and dollars a right, but as i said, he is a number 2. 

Haren - fairly similar description to peavy, though i believe he is 1 or 2 years older than peavy, as a number 2 haren would be solid, and again if the years and money is right, sure i would take him. 

Now for grienke,

he is 28, turning 29, was 15-5 last year, including 6-2 with the angels, pitched to a 3.48 era and recorded 200 k's, whip of 1.20. 

Those numbers would look pretty good in the sox rotation. 

Grienke

lester

buchholz

lackey

doubront

would be pretty good assuming lackey returns to form. Now if im ben cherington and i really want my team to compete in 2013, i would aim even higher, sign grienke and then trade for josh johnson. 

Johnson

grienke

lester

buchholz

lackey

Deal doubront to kc in a deal for hosmer or butler to help out the offense. or send him to florida in the josh johnson deal.

Thats the kind of rotation the sox will need to really compete in the AL east.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Re: Why the sox SHOULD sign Zach Grienke this offseason

I don't disagree with anything you have said. I think Greinke is worth the risk. Havin said that- 4 years would be the limit. If it takes a longer contract than that to sign him then I would pass.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to wallyisdead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He will get kiilled in the AL east.

[/QUOTE]

The AL East is the juggernault it used to be. The Yankees offense disappeared last in the regular and all of the post season, Tampa Bay is built around pitching and the O's and Jays are not offensive power houses. 

I am not worried than Greinke will suffer any reduced performance in the AL East.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I agree with your assesment of Grienke and his stats are good.

But the Social anxiety, the statements hes made in interviews, the years and $$ it would require is just way too risky of a deal. CC has solid numbers before coming to Boston too. If its not a good fit all those numbers and stats wont matter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

...because they want to spit in the face of what they've been saying, and make more bad signings?

He will get grossly overpaid. Remember the last time we signed "the best SP out there"?

He's going to get a long term deal, and that team will pray his meds keep him level.

NOT the way to go when you're trying showing any kind of discipline.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

You can sign anyone at the right price, but my guess is that he'll get paid like an ace.  If you pay someone in the range of $20M, he should be almost risk free, which Greinke is not, imho.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You can sign anyone at the right price, but my guess is that he'll get paid like an ace.  If you pay someone in the range of $20M, he should be almost risk free, which Greinke is not, imho.

[/QUOTE]

Signing Grienke is exactly what this team should NOT do...how many times do you get burnt signing high priced free agents to long term deals...this guy would just start the cycle all over again!

Give me a player that follows the path of say Adrian Beltre...who comes to Boston on a one year deal, plays lights out and then gets resigned for the market value...that's how the Front Office should be managing their roster.

Only problem was the Sox didn't play the game since they favored a different Adrian at the time and had Youk at 2B and a kid right behind him.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

No, to much baggage for the kind of money that Greinke will command.  Boston can be brutal, Crawford anyone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2nd rate pitcher, the sox have plenty of those and don't need to pay a fortune to add another one. Flash in the pan.

[/QUOTE]

Second rate my a$&...he s a bonfide number one starter in this league of few. He will...get paid, as he should. He is what people here think Buch can be, but he doesn't have the box that Greinke has....

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to bigdog1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No, to much baggage for the kind of money that Greinke will command.  Boston can be brutal, Crawford anyone.

[/QUOTE]

Crawford stunk up the place because he was hurt before anyone turned on him...had nothing to do with the environment....just Sox fans being sox fans thinking boston is so unique....with the exception of that racist fan in minor league ball, crawford was treated with kid gloves the entire time he was here...yaz had more abuse by fans in one series than CC did in 2 years

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Boston can be brutal, 

..had nothing to do with the environment...

...yaz had more abuse by fans in one series than CC did in 2 years

So is Boston brutal or not?  The previous poster said it can be brutal, then you said it has nothing to do with the environment, then you said Boston was brutal even to a HOF.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im thinking not much anymore joey.....cant remember anyone in the last ten years who was abused...even bECKETT who deserved to be boo'd pretty much was left alone...those days are done i think.....manny might have been the tipping point....lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Grienke will not survive in a large and demanding market like Boston.  Just ask Julio Lugo and Carl Crawford.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bigdog1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Crawford stunk up the place because he was hurt before anyone turned on him...had nothing to do with the environment....just Sox fans being sox fans thinking boston is so unique....with the exception of that racist fan in minor league ball, crawford was treated with kid gloves the entire time he was here...yaz had more abuse by fans in one series than CC did in 2 years

[/QUOTE]

I understand that what the fan said to Crawford was wrong and racist.  It is unacceptable.

But I think that Crawford should have just ignored the fan and focus on performing on the field.  Players get called all kind of names all the time.

I went to game 6 of the 2004 ALCS and sat behind the bullpen.  Schilling was warming up and around 30 fans were chanting a**hole to him.  Schilling just ignored those ignorant fans and did fine that night.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

No way!!

Grienke is already asking for a big fat contract.  Likely suitors are Dodgers, Rangers and Angels.

Stay away from signing big fat contract on pitching...never know what is going to happen to him within 5 to 6 years!!

Sign guy like Haren, etc or trade for Shield.  That is simple!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I agree with your points pinstripezac.   :)

If Grienke does decide to sign with a team like the Red Sox or Yankees, then he better understand that the clubhouse, fans and media demand immediate results.  

With the Yankees, the goal every year is to win a championship.  There is much more pressure to play in New York or Boston compared to Toronto or Kansas City.  

I do not know Grienke personally (duh lol) but based on what I have read, I am not sure if he would do well in a large market.  

A-Rod and Beckett both helped their clubs win a championship.  A-Rod in 2009 and Beckett in 2007.  But the fans still boo them when they struggle.  Ouch.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Socially anxiety is a non-factor.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No way!!

Grienke is already asking for a big fat contract.  Likely suitors are Dodgers, Rangers and Angels.

Stay away from signing big fat contract on pitching...never know what is going to happen to him within 5 to 6 years!!

Sign guy like Haren, etc or trade for Shield.  That is simple!!

[/QUOTE]

if you want a supposed #1 pitcher, they are not going to be available with a trade, only free agency, and that is a rare event as well.

if you want a supposed #2 or #3 pitcher, you will have to part with numerous top tier free agents in a trade, or tremendously over pay in free agency due to supply and demand.

I can definately see Greinke offered a record deal for a pitcher with the Dodgers, Angels and Rangers involved. I dont see the RS offering that type of deal due to the $$$.

I agree, the AL East is a thing of the past with the O's, Rays and Jays lineup not scaring too many, and the YAnks aging and not reloading

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Socially anxiety is a non-factor.

[/QUOTE]

Really? And hows that? Did you read the article that was posted? Zac posted a small part of it above...He is not a fit here and its directly related to the Social anxiety disorder. Not all people with it have the exact same issues, and everyone deals with it differently. From what Grienke has said, Boston would not be the right move for him because of the SAD and the huge amount of $$ and years that it will take to get him.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.