Why you trade for Cliff Lee

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Why you trade for Cliff Lee

Because Cliff is the man and with Jon, Clay and another big bat we can win another championship.  Cliff made our offense look like a high school team tonight after the 1rst inning.  Dempster tried but hes no match for an elite pitcher.

And can we please find someone better than Jonny Gomes against LH's?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Why you trade for Cliff Lee

If i had a dime everytime someone in this room trashed Cliff Lee as too old and too expensive, I would be retired with no house payment. He was awesome tonight and I hope this shuts them up once and for all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

If i had a dime everytime someone in this room trashed Cliff Lee as too old and too expensive, I would be retired with no house payment. He was awesome tonight and I hope this shuts them up once and for all.

This... 

Lee is the man, and I look forward to watch him for a couple more seasons.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

25 million a year and 27.5 3 seasons from now.  I pass.... Chaching. More money for your piggy bank.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

At 35 and 25 mil for the next 2 yrs and 27 for yr 3 is hge worth it. We all hear about the length of contracts and how players will fail near the end of the contract would this not be true of Lee. Was last year 6-9 an anomaly or a hint of his age catching up to him? Must also take into consideration of what you need to give up for him and that his wife did not wish to come to Boston? Does he have a trade clause?????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Lesser lefties than Lee have shut down our lineup--we have a real dearth of good righty hitters.  Pedroia is about all there is.  If Middlebrooks had played, the 3B position wouldn't have gotten the weak single Iglesias got.  Gomes and Napoli--forget it.  Ditto Ross and usually ditto Nava against lefties. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Lee can still pitch, there's no doubt about that.  I don't know if the Phillies would want to trade him unless they got an awful lot back.  They did dump some salaries last year but Lee is their ace pitcher right now and they're not a poor team.  Halladay is toast and Hamels is not at his best so far this year. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

You trade for him if you think he's the one who helps you win it all this year.

Screw the rest.

-Daf.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Lee is a still a solid pitcher who is great some nights. He'll be 35 in Aug, trading for him would be a mistake. Considering what you would have to give up and the money you would have to take on, pass. He's also 0-3 in his last 3 post season gm's w/ an ERA over 7. Again he's a solid pitcher but not the all world pitcher you think he is geo.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Dempster was all that I could hoped for tonight. Is tonight's loss about pitching or hitting?

Would an extra 12-15 million have made a difference applied to position players?

How many EXTRA wins does a top shelf pitcher like Lee have to generate to be worth another 15 million on top of what we're paying Dempster?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

My guess is the Phillies will listen to offers for Lee near the deadline if they are out of it, and because they have what is considered a weak farm system and a large budget, they'd rather eat some of his contract to land better prospects.  The Sox offered a package centered around Ellsbury for Lee this off season and the Phillies made it clear he wasn't available as they wanted to try to compete.  Their thoughts will likely change if they fall too far back, but he isn't going anywhere anytime soon, as it's still way too early to determine which teams are going to be positioned to make a run.  This is a thread that would make more sense in mid-July...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

My guess is the Phillies will listen to offers for Lee near the deadline if they are out of it, and because they have what is considered a weak farm system and a large budget, they'd rather eat some of his contract to land better prospects.  The Sox offered a package centered around Ellsbury for Lee this off season and the Phillies made it clear he wasn't available as they wanted to try to compete.  Their thoughts will likely change if they fall too far back, but he isn't going anywhere anytime soon, as it's still way too early to determine which teams are going to be positioned to make a run.  This is a thread that would make more sense in mid-July...

Lee and paps will probably be available if they are out of it in July. Then it will depend on the teams bidding for them and their level of need.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

You haven't said what you would give up that Philly would actually want for Lee...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Both would be salary dumps to a certain extent. Boston wld have to throw the idea of staying under the cap not paying luxury tax totally out the window. They'd have to win the WS for any type of healing procces to begin around here. Heck, a WS title might not do it. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Lee can still pitch, there's no doubt about that.  I don't know if the Phillies would want to trade him unless they got an awful lot back.  They did dump some salaries last year but Lee is their ace pitcher right now and they're not a poor team.  Halladay is toast and Hamels is not at his best so far this year. 

Agree with you.  The Phillies probably wouldn't trade him.  I would imagine that many teams would want to trade for him not just the Red Sox.  You can never have enough good pitching. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

it may be easier (and smarter due to age) to acquire hammels. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I'm amazing that there's only one  "Trade for  Lee" thread this morning.

Imagine the kickass rotation we'd have, if the Sox traded for every pitcher that whupped them...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Imagine the kickass rotation we'd have, if the Sox traded for every pitcher that whupped them...

I would do it in a heart beat..... Forget the $$$$ as it is short term.......  Aceves,SALTY, DOUBRONT,Ellesbury, BARD  ...... Do it BEN, Just do it !!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

I would do it in a heart beat..... Forget the $$$$ as it is short term.......  Aceves,SALTY, DOUBRONT,Ellesbury, BARD  ...... Do it BEN, Just do it !!!!!

I'm stunned...

Explain why the Phillies would want any of those players.

Bard and Doubront are the only players with any kind of team control.

Aceves is arb eligible thorough 2015.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Hey smart one.... Let's say a team came along and offered Ace, Salty Douby Ells and Bard to us for our Ace (Buch or Lester)....would you HONESTLY take that scrap heap?!?!?!?!?!  Do you HONESTLY think for a SECOND before you post your garbage??  Salty (really a DH), Douby (can't go past 5), Bard (trainwreck), Ells (underperforming), Ace (......), Salty ( only one performing at his level....which really is not superstar material)...

Go away Bill....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Hey smart one.... Let's say a team came along and offered Ace, Salty Douby Ells and Bard to us for our Ace (Buch or Lester)....would you HONESTLY take that scrap heap?!?!?!?!?!  Do you HONESTLY think for a SECOND before you post your garbage??  Salty (really a DH), Douby (can't go past 5), Bard (trainwreck), Ells (underperforming), Ace (......), Salty ( only one performing at his level....which really is not superstar material)...

Go away Bill....

He'll go away for the morning.

Because he wont have a clue as to how to answer....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Go away Bill....

He'll go away for the morning.

Because he wont have a clue as to how to answer....

HA!!  Exactly..... or he'll come back and say "that's not my job, Dad and I are not the GM...that's for Ben to decide"