Will Big Papi play first in inter-league games coming up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

Will Big Papi play first in inter-league games coming up?

I live in California and am going to this Monday's game vs. The Giants and the pitching matchup appears to be Lester vs. Lincecum.   Do you think Papi will play first over Napoli especially since Lincecum is a righty and not to mention that Ortiz is a better hitter?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Will Big Papi play first in inter-league games coming up?

Im hoping Papi will play in at least half the games, but Id rather he play agaoinst all RHP. Looks like it will be Lester, Peavy and Doubie going for us, unless Farrell decides to rest one of them. Maybe Doubie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Eddymon's comment:

I live in California and am going to this Monday's game vs. The Giants and the pitching matchup appears to be Lester vs. Lincecum.   Do you think Papi will play first over Napoli especially since Lincecum is a righty and not to mention that Ortiz is a better hitter?

he should

so be carefull if U R sitting near 1B

just kidding he has held his own out there in the past

to bad there's noway napoli could catch a few games

enjoy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, that is depend where the Sox are standing in the EAst division by next week.  If Tampa and Baltimore start to fall behind more games, Farrell would not have to force to play him alot at 1b cuz Farrell do not want to risk injury to Papi.  If Sox struggles this week while Tampa and Baltimore gains games on them, then I am sure Farrell will play Papi as much he can while he can rest Napoli duehe is in a slump. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Well, that is depend where the Sox are standing in the EAst division by next week.  If Tampa and Baltimore start to fall behind more games, Farrell would not have to force to play him alot at 1b cuz Farrell do not want to risk injury to Papi.  If Sox struggles this week while Tampa and Baltimore gains games on them, then I am sure Farrell will play Papi as much he can while he can rest Napoli duehe is in a slump. 

Good point.

I can see them resting Ortiz, if the Rays and O's lose some more ground.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Good point.

I can see them resting Ortiz, if the Rays and O's lose some more ground.

I don't see Tampa losing much more ground, they are a hot and cold team that has lost 5 in a row and could very well go on an 8 game winning streak now.    Baltimore is almost the same way.   Tampa has an improving Seattle team and Toronto before then while Baltimore is in Arizona and home to Colorado before then and Boston has Toronto and Yankees.

I'm sure he will rest if they face Baumgarner, they kid is a tough lefty.  which as of now they won't be facing him.   Looks like Lincecum, Vogelsong and Gaudin.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I think Toronto and Yanks series, and other contenders, could have an impact on what we do with Papi. 6 games is lot.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This is at least the second thread on this subject, but that's fine.  Thanks to GoUConn13, I learned something. 

In general, whoever has manged the Sox--Francona, BobbyV, or Farrell--has wanted to start Ortiz at 1B against NL teams.  That's never more true than this year with Ortiz having absolutely the best bat on the team.  My expectation is he will play in 4 of the 6 games.  GoUConn13 has a point about resting Ortiz, but I think he will want to play as well as be needed.  Plus the best thing to do with a lead in a pennant race is to make it bigger.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I live in Marin County, across GG bridge, and I will be going to the games on Tues night & Weds afternoon proudly wearing my Boston Strong T-Shirt and my "Bee" on the cap. I won't worry that Giant fans will beat up on me as a couple of Dodger fans did last year putting a family man Giant fan in a coma in LA. Of course, what will help will be my wife with her SF cap on.

I am hoping for at least 2 out of 3 in SF and maybe being greedy 2 out of 3 in La La land but with only 1 out of 3 I think a 3-3 split on the coast will be a good effort.

Shame we have to consider Papi for 1st base.   Naps is an enigma ! He continues to struggle with the  strike outs. Wonder why a hitting coach can't analyze why he got 27 RBIs in 26 games in April and is in such a funk now---what is he doing wrong. Seems to be batting in slow motion. Could he have a eyesight problem? Dunno ?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

[QUOTE]

I live in Marin County, across GG bridge, and I will be going to the games on Tues night & Weds afternoon proudly wearing my Boston Strong T-Shirt and my "Bee" on the cap. I won't worry that Giant fans will beat up on me as a couple of Dodger fans did last year putting a family man Giant fan in a coma in LA. Of course, what will help will be my wife with her SF cap on.

I am hoping for at least 2 out of 3 in SF and maybe being greedy 2 out of 3 in La La land but with only 1 out of 3 I think a 3-3 split on the coast will be a good effort.

Shame we have to consider Papi for 1st base.   Naps is an enigma ! He continues to struggle with the  strike outs. Wonder why a hitting coach can't analyze why he got 27 RBIs in 26 games in April and is in such a funk now---what is he doing wrong. Seems to be batting in slow motion. Could he have a eyesight problem? Dunno ?

[/QUOTE]

Ortiz doesn't have a bad glove, just very little range.

I can't think of a time when Ortiz, at first, cost the Sox a game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Me either. He does have a good glove. But like you said, not much range. Hopefully we will see the big man at least half the games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Me either. He does have a good glove. But like you said, not much range. Hopefully we will see the big man at least half the games.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, like you said, 4 out of the 6 games sounds about right.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In respon

[/QUOTE]

Yup, like you said, 4 out of the 6 games sounds about right.

[/QUOTE]

oh yes it does sounded right.  But like I said, it is depend how the Red Sox do for thier next six games along with Tampa and Baltimore.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

====================================

My comment about a shame that Papi might need play 1st because of Naps' slump was not to infer I felt his fielding was a handicap.  As he is no youngster, he has been a DH and even resting a few games might be welcomed too instead of playing him on the field. Maybe platoon him for 6 innings or so and with a hopeful 2-3 run lead, then bring in Naps.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I would play him in all games escept against the toughest lefties. Mentally, I think he gets rejuvinated after a day off. On the other hand we don't have any real game-saving gazzells playing first base now!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

But, of course, we have to have Ortiz play first base on the next west coast trip.  And, at least five of those six games, too.  He is not tired and a first baseman does not run very much in any one game besides what he does as a baserunner.

He is our BEST hitter which should basically end the discussion as you just cannot not have your best hitter (by far and in all catagories) sitting on the bench waiting for one pinch hit appearance per game that might not even happen.

He is a capable first baseman.  Maybe not the best, but has never shown himself to be completely inadequate either.

If the Sox get to the World Series, is there any thought to sitting him at that time when the games are in a National League city?

And, I would not mind to see him hitting third in the lineup beginning tonight just to be sure that the Sox get their best hitter to the plate in the first inning of every game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

[QUOTE]

he should

so be carefull if U R sitting near 1B

just kidding he has held his own out there in the past

to bad there's noway napoli could catch a few games

enjoy

[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

You must be kidding wanting Napoli to catch! He's on about the worst stretch in RS history for inept hitting or lack thereof, Bench this bum!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

I don't think its Napoli's eyesight, its his brain as he tries to hit 600 foot homers every AB. Hitting coach should sit this idiot down and tell him to shorten his swing, his stride and go to RF once in a while- he's killing us!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I think he must.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Even if Napoli were hitting well, Farrell would get Papi into at least half the games, IMO.

Different managers, I know, but the Sox went to the extreme of playing Adrian Gonzalez in left field so they could get Papi's bat in some games.

Also, if I recall correctly, Tito rotated Lowell, Youkilis, and Papi between first and 3rd, giving each 2 games off during an NL stint.

With Napoli slumping the way he is, I think it's a no brainer that Papi will play at least 3 games, probably 4.  As others have said, he might not have the best range, but he makes the plays that he can get to.  I have also seen him save the other IFs some errors by making some pretty good scoops.